DETA737
Topic Author

TWA Concorde

Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:10 pm

Does anyone have better footage or photos of the TWA Concorde mock up below?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7X54OjAxK8

mbmbos

RE: TWA Concorde

Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:23 pm

Wowl! So cool to see the Concorde in TWA markings. Thanks for sharing.

And no, I don't know of any other footage. This is the first I've seen of it.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

TWA772LR

Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:52 pm

Cool!

I believe this may be the first thread on a.net to get moved from non-av to civil av.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

SpaceshipDC10

Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:11 pm

Quoting DETA737 (Thread starter):
Does anyone have better footage or photos of the TWA Concorde mock up below?
http://www.airobilia.com/products/tw...-x-4-print-tw004?variant=508092749

anfromme

Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:40 pm

First I've seen of this, too.
Thanks for sharing!

barney captain

Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:43 pm

Remove the "S" after http for a clickable link -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7X54OjAxK8
Southeast Of Disorder

Ryanair01

Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:09 pm

I think this is the 1967 wooden mock up, there are some details here. Apparently it was set fire to by vandals.

http://www.concordesst.com/models.html

quickmover

Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:11 am

Did TWA ever place an order for one of these?

B2707SST

Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:24 am

TWA and Pan Am both ordered Concordes, among many others. (TWA was also the first airline to order the Boeing SST, which infuriated Pan Am.) However, everyone except BOAC and Air France let their orders expire by early 1973 - several months before the infamous OPEC embargo sent oil prices soaring.

Complete SST order list:

AIRLINEConcordeB2707
Aer Lingus-2
Air Canada46
Air France86
Air India22
Airlift Int.-1
Alitalia-6
American66
BOAC86
Braniff32
Canadian Pac.-3
Continental33
Delta-3
Eastern66
El Al-2
Iberia-3
JAL35
KLM-6
Lufthansa33
Middle East2-
Northwest-6
Pakistan Int.-2
Pan American815
Qantas46
Sabena2-
Trans-Am.-1
TWA612
United66
World-3
TOTALS74122
Keynes is dead and we are living in his long run.

GDB

Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:46 am

Quoting Ryanair01 (Reply 6):
I think this is the 1967 wooden mock up, there are some details here. Apparently it was set fire to by vandals.

Speaking of heat, had the TWA order gone ahead the livery would have been white all over.
To apparently misquote Henry Ford, 'you could have any colour, so long as it's white'.
(Unless you wanted to limit your mach number).

cathay747

Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:16 pm

I can't help but think that if the U.S. SST program had been handled
differently, i.e. a public/private partnership with all 4 of the major U.S.
manufacturers partnered (Boeing/Douglas/Lockheed/Convair) with just
seed-money by the Govt., things might have turned out differently and
the plane might actually have come to fruition. But being a Govt-funded
program, it was doomed.
Try a Little VC-10derness

anfromme

Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:41 pm

Quoting GDB (Reply 9):
Speaking of heat, had the TWA order gone ahead the livery would have been white all over.

Well, it wouldn't have had the silver (unpainted) lower fuselage that was still visible on that 1973 mockup, but had vanished by the time the first prototype was rolled out.
Cheatlines weren't an unusual feature on Concorde, though. The prototypes feature a red cheatline not dissimilar to TWA's at the time. The original livery BA's were delivered in had a blue cheatline - SQ's cheatline was applied on the other side on one of them. A few of them also wore AF's original livery (cheatline included) - including the ill-fated F-BTSC, which originally entered service in these colours.a

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jean-François Denis

But you're of course right when it comes to the fuselage - the promotional Pepsi Concorde was all-blue, but consequently limited to subsonic speeds.

Quoting B2707SST (Reply 8):
However, everyone except BOAC and Air France let their orders expire by early 1973 - several months before the infamous OPEC embargo sent oil prices soaring.

It should be pointed out that the term "orders" at the time was generally used a bit more liberally - according to most accounts, the SST orders were more akin to semi-binding options. Airlines could cancel them or simply let them lapse without much/any penalty.
As a background to this, the B2707 project had been cancelled two years prior to most of those Concorde options/orders expiring, with 115 orders still on the 2707's books.
Before the OPEC embargo, environmental and higher-than-anticipated development/purchase costs were a bigger detrimental factor for SSTs than fuel costs. For Concorde, there was also the matter of increased FUD and some non-favourable legislation passed before and after the 2707 had been canned. The oil crisis then simply dealt the final blow, if that was still needed (curiously, IR showed interest in the late 70s, but if not off the table at that point already, it was definitely dead after the Iranian revolution).
Having said that - even before the OPEC embargo, it was evident that Concorde's seat miles per gallon were about half that of a 707's and little more than quarter that of DC-10. No matter the cost of oil, that's a significant difference and any bean counter could easily see that the only way to make money with that kind of plane was by charging 1st class and then some. That went quite contrary to the spirit of the times, which turned out to be the dawn of mass transportation by plane, thanks to the 747 and DC-10/L.1011, and later the A300 and 767.

Quoting B2707SST (Reply 8):
Complete SST order list:

Don't think this is actually complete - Concorde also had orders from the likes of Panair (Brasil), Olympic Airways, Singapore Airlines, and others. As per Wikipedia (quoting various sources), the number of 74 orders with the names given was correct as of Concorde's first flight, though, with some customers already having dropped out before then.

Not sure about the B2707's order book but I think that also had a few more entries at its peak.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos