wjcandee
Topic Author

Amazon Air Network Modifications 4/1/16

Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:16 am

Looks like now that a firm deal between Amazon and ATSG is in place, and the Aerosmith experiment is over, Amazon and ATSG are making some changes in the structure of the network. Small changes, but it gives a sense of what worked and what worked better.

The original network had a variety of kinds of flights, and they didn't arrive at ILN in a bank. Moreover, some of them bypassed ILN and ran transcontinental straight to ABE, for example. Some were set up like DHL runs its puny US network now -- multiple stops of the same aircraft from the hub, rather than nonstop between destination and hub. Some were set up like a traditional hub-and-spoke. I presume that Amazon was experimenting with different approaches to see their costs and benefits. It wasn't an issue of package volume, per se, because Amazon could easily fill a 762 from any of its origins to any of its destinations.

Now that the experiment part seems to be over, it appears that Amazon and ATSG have decided on a straight-up, daytime, hub-and-spoke operation to and from ILN. Flight times have been adjusted, some by a little, some by a lot, so that all the flights arrive at ILN within a 2-hour window starting at about 9:15am, and departures are in a two-hour window starting at about noon. No red-eyes. Looking at the performance over the last two days, it appears that running during the day increases travel time a bit, presumably because of heavier ATC volume enroute.

To my knowledge, no parcels are removed from the containers at ILN and sorted; all that happens is a cross-dock operation where every container has left its origin with a specific destination in mind, and containers are swapped among the aircraft at ILN and dispatched.

Some flights have been changed. Total aircraft is still at 5. Gone is the second ILN-ABE turn, and gone is the DFW-PHX tag on the ILN-DFW-PHX-DFW-ILN flight. That flight now just goes ILN-DFW-ILN. Instead, a new flight has been added nonstop from PHX-ILN and return.

The rest of the origins and destinations are the same. One change earlier this year eliminated the OAK-ABE-OAK flight, and replaced it with an SCK-ILN-SCK flight. Stockton replaced Oakland, a significant and apparently-very-successful move, and the flight turned at ILN instead of ABE.

It will be interesting to see how this network develops as more aircraft are added. What I get from a post on a pilot forum is that ATSG will be deploying 7 additional aircraft into the network by the end of the year. Right now, they are at 5 (2 ABX and 3 ATI), so they plan to be at 12 by year-end. That's gonna require a lot more pilots, and ATI is hiring after exhausting its recall list and ABX is apparently almost done recalling and will soon be hiring. How they split the flying between the two carriers is pure speculation, and may depend on how the hiring goes. The two carriers are very different, both in operating procedures and pilot comfort. ABX pays more, but ATI has home basing, which can be an enormous plus if you don't live (or don't want to live) near CVG/ILN. Apparently, a lot of ATI guys will take the lower pay just to have home basing. ABX has probably the most regimented, standardized procedures in the business, and enforces them brutally. That can be a plus or minus, depending upon one's personality. (Plus: Every captain, new or old, is highly-consistent procedurally with every other captain, so you know what to expect. Minus: Long checklists and a zillion callouts; many consider their procedures overly-complicated and born of an era of less automation and engine/control reliability. Consistent with that, the airline is incredibly-demanding as to hand-flying skills. Sort of a diametric-opposite to the likes of Asiana, I guess.) So we will see how the hiring goes at both carriers, and see how the flying ends up being split. Seven additional aircraft is about a 140-percent increase in flying by the end of the year. It will be interesting to see what routes are chosen and whether they all will be fit into the same daytime ILN bank.

[Edited 2016-04-03 02:16:44]

tb727

RE: Amazon Air Network Modifications 4/1/16

Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:28 pm

Very interesting. I would imagine Amazon may have some deep pockets and a plan for a pretty interesting network. Also kinda crazy how ABX has been able to transform itself every few years yet still stick around. The daytime flying is also pretty awesome for a freight dog. Adds a couple years to your life if this works out long term.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

PVD757

Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:35 pm

Besides DFW, PHX, ABE, and SCK, what are the other spokes? Any inclination on what future spokes may be added?

Shields

Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:37 pm

This is a terrific update-thank you! Any reason why Amazon has chosen to operate these aircraft during daylight hours if, like you say, that amounts to an increase in flight time?

wjcandee
Topic Author

Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:09 pm

ONT and TPA.

Obviously, they have already added a frame, because that's six destinations all departing within 2 hours. Duh. Sorry.

http://flightaware.com/live/airport/KILN

3 routes on ABX Air and three on ATI.

I have no idea where the next cities will be. One can start with a map of where Amazon has both: (1) postal sorting centers and (2) distribution centers, because one obvious delivery solution is to layer the air packages on top of the truck packages that go to the sortnig center, as they do at Avenel NJ, served from ABE, and if there are also distribution centers nearby, then that creates an opportunity for originating packages and delivering packages.

[Edited 2016-04-03 09:10:11]

[Edited 2016-04-03 09:10:53]

[Edited 2016-04-03 09:11:47]

tb727

Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:30 pm

Here is a list of places distribution centers are.

http://www.amazonfulfillmentcareers.com/amazon-fulfillment/locations/

I'd imagine someplace in the Pacific Northwest and in the Northeast will be added soon.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

nikeson13

Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:56 pm

Totally missed the transfer of OAK to SCK! great for my hometown, but much more logical for Amazon. Hope Amazon brings more to our little underrated airport...
---

Anyways, with a fleet of 6, Amazon' ops currently are looking a little like this.

When will their deal of 20 767s with ATSG, which means adding 14 planes, but according to the article this goes into affect April 1, which has come and gone. When will we be expecting to see some of these aircraft? And does this mean that ATSG is cutting it off with DHL? (DHL currently contracts ≈ 14 frames, which adds up)

And what new routes? Just looking at the map, possibly there could be 1-2 in the NW, another 1-2 in NE, 1-2 in the South, another in TX, and one in the Midwest IMO. And looking at those areas considering location of Fulfillment Center and catchment areas, I made a crude route map to give a visual to what the Amazon route map could look like with 20 frames strong.
There's a couple of stretches in their, but I wanted to see what are your opinions on this.

-Nikolas
Nikolas

CX747

Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:57 pm

Glad to hear that they are expanding. This is also good news for the 767. Continued demand for Boeing's once, twice, three times thought dead twin.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

PVD757

Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:07 pm

They are building a 500,000 square foot didtribution center just north of Fall River, MA. Take into account there are fulfillment centers in Stoughton, MA, Nashua, NH, and Windsor, CT, I'd argue that PVD would be the most central to the region.

wjcandee
Topic Author

Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:13 am

These comments and observations are excellent. One thing, again, to look for is an Amazon postal Sorting Center, because Amazon has to both originate and deliver the packages. In most cases, they are using their relationship with USPS, which currently takes truck packages which are prepared at Amazon postal sorting centers at lightning speed and very efficiently. In the Northeast, they have layered their air packages on top of the truck packages at the postal sorting centers for delivery by the Postal Service. Of course, they have other shipping partners, like LaserShip, A-one, it cetera. But the USPS is the Big Kahuna. So the outbound flight will have containers filled with packages from fulfillment centers, and destined for, among other things, sorting centers.

I'm not sure why they have chosen a daytime Network. It would seem to obviate the use of the air system for next day delivery. But they obviously have a specific plan in mind, so who am I to judge? They did say in one conference that they thought the air Network could supplement next day, but I don't see how it can do that, except for late day residential deliveries by lasership or A-1. If it's going to the USPS, it has to arrive at the post office by 7 in the morning for same-day delivery. Right now, this daytime Network can very easily get the goods through a sorting Center and to the USPS for second day delivery. As I mentioned once before, the Amazon sorting centers make the FedEx SmartPost operation look absolutely pathetic. SmartPost can take 36 hours to move a package through one of its sorting centers and to the post office, whereas Amazon moves them through within hours, and they are delivered to the post office early in the morning.

DiamondFlyer

Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:44 am

Quoting nikeson13 (Reply 6):
When will their deal of 20 767s with ATSG, which means adding 14 planes, but according to the article this goes into affect April 1, which has come and gone. When will we be expecting to see some of these aircraft? And does this mean that ATSG is cutting it off with DHL? (DHL currently contracts ≈ 14 frames, which adds up)

It was never going to be an overnight addition to that many planes. And I doubt that ATSG can just drop the DHL flying, they will probably just be buying new (used) airplanes.

-DiamondFlyer
From my cold, dead hands

wjcandee
Topic Author

Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:48 am

ATSG has no desire to drop DHL. This is an accretive deal to revenue.

They have 7 planes coming back off dry lease recalls that they will put into service with ABX and ATI by the end of the year. One is already in service. They will have no difficulty sourcing the other 8 aircraft for 2017.

nikeson13

Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:01 am

Quoting DiamondFlyer (Reply 10):
It was never going to be an overnight addition to that many planes.

Sorry if I thought i was implying that, logically theres no way they could triple their operations overnight.

And looking at what facilities are Sorting Centers, I found this website containing lists of Amazon Fulfillment Centers and Distribution Centers, Sorting Centers, Delivery Centers, and Prime Hubs, as well as maps of locations and international locations. Theres a good map of Sortation Centers down a bit, definitely worth a look.

-Nikolas
Nikolas

wjcandee
Topic Author

Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:10 am

Good job, Nikolas! Thank you!

wjcandee
Topic Author

Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:36 am

I like Nikolas's map. I thought maybe an East Coast of Florida (i.e. Miami) flight, because there is an East Coast fulfillment center nearby and a sortation center right by the airport. However, the grid shows that the Fulfillment Center is Large non-sortable stuff, so probably not stuff that's gonna be delivered by USPS? So no outbound stuff -- maybe doesn't warrant a flight? And Tampa is only a four-hour drive from the Miami sortation center -- well with Amazon's ability to truck stuff to Miami that arrives on an afternoon flight at TPA and still get it to USPS by 7am.

It's an interesting project to look at what is nearby -- or within a few hours' driving distance -- in the way of fulfillment centers in the same region as sortation centers. Their paradigm is probably somewhat more complex than mine, but it's a start. You can see why TPA was an original choice, however. Sortation center in region for inbound stuff and an absolutely-enormous and highly-staffed fulfillment center for small sortable packages for outbound, both within driving distance of the airport. Same thing for DFW. Haslet, Dallas and Irving fulfillment centers with small sortable items, and a significant sortation center. Also, Houston sortation center is only a few hours' drive away.

By this measure, Tennessee might be a good place for a flight. Somewhere in Illinois or Wisconsin, maybe. You get the idea.

And the network doesn't just have to haul sortable parcels into and out of a region. They could use it to balance warehouse stocks, etc., as well. I.e. warehouse to warehouse. They might also try their hand at air-freighting large non-sortables. But i'm thinking that the low-hanging fruit is sortable stuff for the USPS.

Another way of looking at an ILN-hubbed network is that it gives AFS a vehicle, if it wanted to, to follow up on that memo that was widely-discussed in the media about International shipments. It had nothing to do with the network that was the Aerosmith project, but if AFS still wanted to become a player in the Asia-US e-commerce, ILN would be a great place to bring stuff into the US and then send it for distribution through the Amazon Sortation Center/USPS partnership. (If you recall, the memo basically said that Amazon could be a platform for Asian manufacturers and middlemen that were selling on like Alibaba and Ebay and then having to ship individual packages by DHL and such. If they could sell on the Amazon Marketplace, and Amazon would do the fulfillment, Amazon could compete against Alibaba. Obviously, a foreign manufacturer always has the ability to stock product at a domestic Amazon fulfillment center, but I think the memo envisioned Amazon moving the parcels into the US and distributing them, much as Airborne did with the early iPhones, which were packaged in China, onshored in pallets of parcels, and broken down and distributed to retail stores by Airborne and later DHL. I think that today, individual parcels of iPhones direct to consumers are handled similarly. I don't know what would go on the backhaul, but I can think of a few creative ideas.

[Edited 2016-04-03 23:47:30]

[Edited 2016-04-03 23:48:22]

chrisair

Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:15 am

Quoting wjcandee (Reply 9):
In most cases, they are using their relationship with USPS, which currently takes truck packages which are prepared at Amazon postal sorting centers at lightning speed and very efficiently.

Maybe we're the 'test market' in Phoenix, but Amazon has started it's own delivery fleet, complete with their own "employees." Since Phoenix got the trucks, the number of USPS packages I've had delivered from Amazon has dropped precipitously.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the air network and the new ground network start to take over a portion of the shipments. It'd save Amazon a chunk of money to bring it in-house.

geg2rap

Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:35 pm

Just a curious question: like others I went from my amazon packages being delivered mostly entirely by UPS to now almost entirely by USPS. I live in Colorado Springs but notice all of my
Packages start at Stockton or Phoenix for 2 day, is this new air stratagem being used for my packages? seems rushed to get Stockton ca to Denver in time for 2 day delivery but no flights anywhere
Around is from atsg. Anyone got insight on this?

wjcandee
Topic Author

Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:09 pm

Quoting chrisair (Reply 15):
Amazon has started it's own delivery fleet

Interesting. Generally, in-house last mile would be restricted to high-margin items or paid same-day delivery, or perishables. So if they are using it for everything, that would be interesting. Reason: residential last-mile is an expensive, crappy, thankless business that Fedex and UPS are trying to charge even MORE for these days (there is already a residential surcharge). You don't go to the same place every day, so it's a new route every day, unlike deliveries to businesses, which get packages every day. That's why the USPS is a logical provider of last-mile. Like a business UPS delivery, the USPS is already going to that house every day.

Amazon needs to be careful with these local delivery services. Very careful. Because if they don't do it right (and even if they do), there is a good chance that new trends in labor law will try to make these drivers Amazon "employees" or "co-employees". It's a risk (at least at some level) to have a guy wear an Amazon uniform if he is not an Amazon employee, as Fedex Ground found out in some places.

You can put "Amazon Prime" on the TRAILER, which is being towed by a tractor that says "Joe's Delivery Service", but if you put Amazon on a 4-wheel truck the guy owns and on the guy...watch out.

[Edited 2016-04-04 10:10:59]

wjcandee
Topic Author

Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:17 pm

Quoting geg2rap (Reply 16):
Anyone got insight on this?

It could be in-house, or it could be one of the other vendors that do USPS last-mile, like Newgistics or UPS Surepost or UPS Mail Innovatoins. Most of those guys, though, can't match the raw speed of the Amazon in-house ground network.

chrisair

Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:43 pm

Quoting wjcandee (Reply 17):
Generally, in-house last mile would be restricted to high-margin items or paid same-day delivery, or perishables. So if they are using it for everything, that would be interesting.

We have two Amazon services in Phoenix: Prime Now which uses an Uber style delivery system--people use their cars to deliver packages. It's free right now for two hour delivery, and $7.99 for one hour delivery. Like Uber/Lyft in Arizona, these folks are independent contractors.

The second is Amazon Logistics, which is what I've seen take over a lot of USPS deliveries on my account. The drivers are employees of a delivery company, similar to the FedEx ground arrangement. The trucks we have in Phoenix are actual Amazon trucks. I saw one in LA last week as well.

Like I said, I wouldn't be surprised to see Amazon try to bring as much logistics in house as possible. You're never going to get it all, just because some places in this country are so damn remote, but for cities, especially those with distribution centers, it makes a lot of sense to control the process from door to door.

[Edited 2016-04-04 13:21:30]

wjcandee
Topic Author

Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:46 pm

Quoting chrisair (Reply 19):
these folks are actual Amazon employees.

Never Say Never, but that does not sound likely. They would have the teamsters in there in 2 seconds if they were. And that's not something Amazon typically wants.

chrisair

Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:02 pm

Quoting wjcandee (Reply 20):
Never Say Never, but that does not sound likely. They would have the teamsters in there in 2 seconds if they were. And that's not something Amazon typically wants.

Ok, you're right. I did some digging (just because I'm trying to avoid doing actual work today ). Amazon Logistics are contracted with "local" delivery companies. So, the guy wearing the Amazon uniform driving the Amazon truck works for a different company. That company gets a promotional fee from Amazon.

http://logistics.amazon.com

Sounds a lot like FedEx Ground.

wjcandee
Topic Author

Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:15 pm

The more they have the ability to price-competitively use others than the USPS, the better off they are. I knew that they couldn't be crazy enough to put all their eggs in the USPS basket, regardless of how good a partner it is. Politicians and others might someday try to make it jack its rates precipitously, and then Amazon would be up that creek without a paddle. Glad to see that they are experimenting with different options for last-mile residential.

nikeson13

Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:48 am

Anyone got insight on this?

Was it delivered by USPS? If so USPS has their primary Stockton facility label all the packages as SCK since its right next to the airport, but it often doesn't touch a plane there. The packages probably left that facility and went up to OAK/SMF and onto Fedex to Denver. Then from there its trucked down to Colorado springs, dropped off at USPS, and then to your door. This is just mostly a guess, but thats how usually looks like in the opposite direction for packages coming to me in Stockton.

-Nikolas

Edit: Spelling

[Edited 2016-04-04 19:49:48]
Nikolas

DeltaRules

Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:23 am

Sticking with the daytime network is interesting. I didn't even realize they were running day flights until I was on 71 a couple months ago and saw a 767 taking off from ILN.

Quoting wjcandee (Thread starter):
ABX has probably the most regimented, standardized procedures in the business, and enforces them brutally. That can be a plus or minus, depending upon one's personality.

Never knew this. I know their Stands supervisor, too.
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

wjcandee
Topic Author

Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:31 am

Quoting nikeson13 (Reply 23):
Was it delivered by USPS?

If it's Amazon and it's delivered USPS, the Postal Service has done none, zero, nada of the line haul. They only do the last mile. Amazon never sees a USPS sorting facility. It goes straight to the DDU in almost all cases.

frmrCapCadet

Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:34 pm

In days of yore those big buildings were warehouses. Goods were stored for what would be considered aeons. There were terrible inefficiencies.

The big change, and it was not a matter of semantic playing around, was to rename and reconfigure those big buildings as distribution centers. Goods were not stored (warehoused), but received and distributed in a matter of days.

It appears to me that Amazon is creating a virtual warehouse, and these 20 767s take goods from one distribution center and reposition them to another.

I can imagine that if a heat wave occurs in some particular state Amazon moving air conditioners and fans to distribution centers to that state a few days before the heat wave arrives.

Amazon knows what gets ordered after a major hurricane, again those goods will be moved to appropriate distribution centers, close, but not too close.

On an everyday basis, these planes and other transportation modes, will ensure that same day, next day, and 2 day deliveries will be increasingly possible. Might Uber have a role, or (God forbid) Amazon create its own. Actually not necessarily a bod idea.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

floridaflyboy

Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:01 pm

Quoting DeltaRules (Reply 24):
Quoting wjcandee (Thread starter):
ABX has probably the most regimented, standardized procedures in the business, and enforces them brutally. That can be a plus or minus, depending upon one's personality.

Never knew this. I know their Stands supervisor, too.
ABX pilots and their flight ops department are a very interesting and somewhat unique bunch (I know many quite well). They really pride themselves on this standardization of procedures, and despite IBT and ABX having somewhat of an adversarial relationship, they are deeply committed and cooperative over procedures and safety programs. The union has one of the most active safety committees out there and works extremely well with the company to maintain these standards and procedures. One of the best safety cultures I've run across over my time in aviation.

The employee group at ABX is also still very much of the old Airborne Express mentality with regards to quality of the operation and it shows in their overall results.

[Edited 2016-04-05 09:02:40]
Good goes around!

Spacepope

Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:12 pm

I live in Colorado Springs but notice all of my
Packages start at Stockton or Phoenix for 2 day, is this new air stratagem being used for my packages? seems rushed to get Stockton ca to Denver in time for 2 day delivery but no flights anywhere
Around is from atsg. Anyone got insight on this?

We get such measly cargo flights here in COS though. FX flies their daily MEM-COS-GJT rotation on a 752 (bumped up to 2x daily during the last surge) and 5X has their contractors with a BE65 and SW4 (sometimes) coming down from DEN. It seems really inefficient, but your 2day stuff may indeed have to go all the way to MEM or SDF and then come back.
The last of the famous international playboys

wjcandee
Topic Author

Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:16 pm

Quoting floridaflyboy (Reply 27):
they are deeply committed and cooperative over procedures and safety programs.

There are a bunch of Israir Israel Airlines passengers who probably owe their lives to this. You may remember when that Israir 762 blundered onto the active at JFK in 2005, at 2 a.m. in rain and fog, then sat there trying to figure out where they were. An Airborne DC8 was accellerating down the runway, and had reached 100 knots, when the FO saw the 767, and the captain lifted off early and cleared them by 70-ish feet.

That there was no accident was either pure luck, or a testament to the ABX procedures and safety culture. It was late at night and the Tower had offered the Airborne captain the option to take off from the intersection, rather than taxiing all the way to the end of the runway. The captain went to the end of the ruway, even though takeoff parameters would have permitted him to depart from the intersection. He had the option of full-length, and took full-length. Otherwise, the outcome would have been different.

Also, the ABX guys highly-emphasize hand-flying skills. "Now I want you to hand-fly a CATII landing with an engine out." "Sure, okay." While this didn't directly-affect the outcome of that incident, having a good sense of and confidence in one's aircraft under manual control certainly didn't hurt the captain's ability to lift off early, maintain control, clear the Israir 767, and continue safe flight. Word back then was that the execution of that maneuver was a very good bit of airmanship. And, of course, recognizing and reacting to the unexpected obstacle on the runway, on the back side of the clock, was a testament to the crew's focus and situational awareness.

I have seen it said that ABX's procedures make flying a 767 "unnecessarily complicated". I have also seen where ABX folks have said that their 767 procedures are simple compared to how they flew the DC8 and DC9. I agree that it takes a certain personality to thrive in that environment, but for the folks that have that personality, I am sure that they prefer to operate like that.

dlramp4life

Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:48 pm

I worked for a ground handler on project Aerosmith for a couple months to get some extra income after I graduated college so it is good to hear that Amazon is working with ATSG and setting up such a unique air cargo network. It seems in PHX that they have an operation during the day and also an overnight operation? Always seems to be a never ending cycle of trucks leaving the west cargo warehouse going to the docks where Amazon gets offloaded/loaded from the plane.

The one thing that I think ATSG or Amazon needs to invest in is maindeck cargo containers because building pallets and netting them takes to long and if not built correctly, items can get damaged during the loading/unloading process.

I know they were testing some AAX cans on loan from DHL but I was gone when they just wrapped up the testing

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos