Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dirktraveller
Topic Author

Runway Collision Involving A Batik Air B738 At HLP

Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:23 pm

Hey everyone!

Got this from a friend. Apparently a Batik Air B738 (PK-LBS) operating a HLP-UPG route collided with an ATR72 of Transnusa on take off at Halim Perdanakusuma Airport (Jakarta). Despite the post impact fire, early unconfirmed reports mentioned everyone was safely evacuated from both aircraft. Hopefully the mentioned reports are indeed true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQZ98Dhf_No

http://news.detik.com/berita/3179653...-air-yang-tabrakan-tujuan-makassar
(Sorry everyone, so far link I got are in Bahasa Indonesia only).

1stspotter

Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:37 pm

what I understand is the ATR of TransNusa PK-TNJ was being towed and crossed the runway. At the same moment the Batik Air was on takeoff roll. I am not sure about the details.
The tail of the ATR is completely chopped off
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CfNENhwUIAAMrRw.jpg

Damage to the left wing of the Boeing 737. While passenger were evacuating the left wing caught fire. Firebrigade was already near the aircraft and extinguish the fire.
http://assets.kompas.com/data/photo/...6/04/04/2116484batikair780x390.JPG

Picture of Boeing 737
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CfNCzugVIAAds6V.jpg

[Edited 2016-04-04 07:38:39]

[Edited 2016-04-04 07:39:31]

Gerry Soejatman might have more news https://twitter.com/GerryS

[Edited 2016-04-04 07:41:48]

reffado

Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:29 pm

Above picture, in thread:

Scary!

qf789

Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:43 pm

Batik Air 737-800

Forum Moderator

qf789

Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:47 pm

Forum Moderator

migair54

Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:58 pm

Another one in Indonesia, so many incidents and accidents down there, they really need to increase the safety record because it's terrible, maybe they need help from some other authorities like the JAA or FAA.

More and more traffic and this is not going to reduce unless they really do something.

The incident looks scary it could have been much worse, that for sure, let's see who made the mistake here, but this kind of scenario should never happen, it's very easily avoidable.

CrimsonNL

Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:52 pm

Quoting qf789 (Reply 3):

That looks really bad, especially if you realize there used to be a winglet attached to that wing. That ship is only 1.5 years old..

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

seabosdca

Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:38 pm

Ouch. Two almost brand-new aircraft, both with fire damage to key structure. This should keep some repair teams busy for a while.

It will be interesting to find out if this was ATC error in clearing the 737 for takeoff or a mistake by the crew towing the ATR.

as739x

Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:56 am

Quoting migair54 (Reply 5):

Indonesia has seem to do as little as possible to increase safety in the country. Every incident turns into the blame game and eventually pilot error. They have just about 100% locked out hiring experienced Ex-pat pilots. Things will not change there anytime soon.
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

a380787

Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:01 am

Ummmm what's going on with Indonesia ? They're just begging for trouble if they don't strengthen their regulatory scrutiny on aircraft safety and maintenance. The worst case is if EU reinstitute the ban, and jeopardizing most of GA's long haul hopes.

viasa

Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:37 am

Quoting seabosdca (Reply 7):

Ouch. Two almost brand-new aircraft, both with fire damage to key structure. This should keep some repair teams busy for a while.

I always said to the DJPU (Directorate General of Civil Aviation of Indonesia) it is very important, to have brand new aircrafts *irony on*. The Ministry of Transport has announced back in October 2015, that the maximum-age for importation of commercial passenger aircraft is 10 years and 15 years for freighters. http://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/ne...-aircraft-maximum-age-restrictions

Personally I'm happy that no one has died in this accident, but I belief, that the DJPU really need to do its work.

seahawk

Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:29 am

If you think about it, the difference between life and death were seconds. If the 737 hits with the nose, the catastrophe is there.

N14AZ

Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:13 am

Quoting seabosdca (Reply 7):
Ouch. Two almost brand-new aircraft, both with fire damage to key structure. This should keep some repair teams busy for a while

Hmmmm, do you think they can repair the ATR? I forgot the special wording but isn't there such an issue that in case of a high dynamic impact - and I guess it was one - the structure of the aircraft will be damaged beyond repair?

321neo

Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:39 am

Quoting seahawk (Reply 11):
the difference between life and death were seconds

more like milliseconds!

N14AZ

Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:43 am

Quoting seahawk (Reply 11):
If you think about it, the difference between life and death were seconds. If the 737 hits with the nose, the catastrophe is there.
Quoting 321neo (Reply 13):
more like milliseconds!

I think the most prominent example is the Streamline SH 360-accident in Paris in 2000: http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=20000525-0
Picture on page 22: http://asndata.aviation-safety.net/r...ts/2000/20000525-0_SH33_G-SSWN.pdf

mandala499

Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:22 pm

HLP is my home airport, and am shocked at this...
I do suspect this is an ATC error.
Aircraft from north apron to south apron usually goes on taxiway C onto taxiway H... and then via south apron to taxiway G then backtrack the runway, or go to the southeast hangars...
The problem yesterday was that H was blocked as the air force has it's fighters there in preparation for the Air Force day on 9th... so the Batik 737 went from C to back track and line up 24... the Transnusa ATR went from C to runway to G then to southeastern hangars...
I've also been to the tower at night, and the crossing C and H is dark but one can see unlit aircraft crossing. But for G, is a different story... the entrance from G to the southeastern hangars are unlit.
But still begs the question... what the heck was the ATC doing...
We're getting info that the ATC on duty were 2 military personnel... I wanna know if either or both had licenses to handle civilian traffic (which is a requirement)...
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

sassiciai

Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:43 pm

I'd like to ask the OP to amend the thread title. This is much much more than a "runway incursion". This is a straightforward collision between two commercial aircraft (albeit one empty) on an active runway, and I recommend that the thread title reflects that

It would be sure to bring in more a.netters than the current title. It would also be more in line with people who read about the collision elsewhere (as I did on BBC http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-35965869 ), and come to a.net for some more detailed conjecture and analysis!

Thanks

edited for typos!

[Edited 2016-04-05 07:29:12]

N14AZ

Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:55 pm

Quoting sassiciai (Reply 16):
I'd like to ask the OP to amend the thread title. This is much much more than a "runway incursion". This is a straightforward collision between two commercial aircraft (albeit one empty) an an active runway, and I recommend that the thread title reflects that

It would be sure to bring in more a.netters than the current title.

It's true - when I read the thread title for the very first time I ignored it because I thought "ah, just another runway excursion in Indonesia..."

dirktraveller
Topic Author

Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:26 pm

Quoting sassiciai (Reply 16):
This is a straightforward collision between two commercial aircraft (albeit one empty) an an active runway, and I recommend that the thread title reflects that
Quoting N14AZ (Reply 17):
It's true - when I read the thread title for the very first time I ignored it because I thought "ah, just another runway excursion in Indonesia..."

Thanks guys, I think at this stage only the mods are able to amend the title, although I would love to replace the OP title having seen the damages on both aircraft. When I first made the OP I was not aware of the severity of the incident, especially with a news article that initially only mentioned nobody was injured in the "incident" with no supporting pictures and the video that barely show the aircraft's damages. Obviously the subsequent discussion on the thread proves that the incident was far worse than what I initially heard, and would welcome if the title can be amended.

jetblastdubai

RE: Runway Collision Involving A Batik Air B738 At HLP

Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:36 pm

Quoting migair54 (Reply 5):
More and more traffic and this is not going to reduce unless they really do something.

There is a library full of data and statistics on ATC and pilot error events. You will actually find far more errors are committed when a person is actually not busy or when the workload starts to taper off after a busy session and the adrenaline goes away.

When you're busy, you get into a rhythm and operate in a far more structured mode. When you're busy, you are forced to focus more on the task at hand and are far less-likely to be distracted by outside inputs such as non-ATC conversations or things that don't affect your task at hand.

I've seen many runway incursions in person as well as been on several Runway Safety work groups. There are ATC-caused incursions that are the result of simply misjudging a gap or anticipating an aircraft will do something and it ends up doing something either slightly or totally different. In these cases, the controller is usually somewhat focused on the event and it just ends up not quite being legal but rarely catastrophic.

The other scenario is when the workload is light to very light and there is very little challenge to the human brain. When the mind is not challenged, it tends to seek out other things to do. Much like texting while driving. You're far more likely to text, and take your attention completely away from an important task, when in a less-challenging situation (slow traffic or open road) than if you were driving on an icy mountain road.

redzeppelin

Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:59 pm

Quoting mandala499 (Reply 15):

Thanks as always for the valuable insight. I was looking for your post as soon as I saw "Indonesia." It sounds like the irregular, temporary ground operations were likely a contributing factor.

n471wn

Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:42 pm

The ATR is damaged beyond ecomomical repair but the other sad fact is that the 737-800 has a broken wing spar and will likely be junked---both a/c were 1 and 1/2 years old---what a waste.

washingtonflyer

Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:04 pm

I wonder. 1 year old aircraft. Basically new. Wonder if they will simply ship in a new, replacement wing?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos