Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TheSonntag
Topic Author

BER Spokesman Fired Due To A Very Honest Interview

Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:17 am

The new spokesman of the BER Airport was fired after a very critical interview where he commented that no guarantees on the opening date could be given, and where he was very critical on the Progress so far.

http://www.tagesspiegel.de/berlin/fl...terview-freigestellt/13427286.html

TheSonntag
Topic Author

RE: BER Spokesman Fired Due To A Very Honest Interview

Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:27 am

In the interview, he said the following regarding the BER opening date:

„Ich verspreche Ihnen: Wenn ich’s weiß, wisst ihr’s auch. Mein Technikchef hält weiter daran fest, dass es eine Chance gibt, 2017 einzuhalten. Und wenn er das glaubt und mir das auch kommuniziert, dann ist es so"

I promise you: Our Boss for technical matters is still believing that 2017 can be reached. And when he believes that and tells me it, then it is like it."

Another quote

"Glauben Sie mir, kein Politiker, kein Flughafendirektor und kein Mensch, der nicht medikamentenabhängig ist, gibt Ihnen feste Garantien für diesen Flughafen.“

Believe me, no politician, no Airport CEO and no human, which is not addicted to drugs, will give you any guarantees on this Airport.

flyingturtle

Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:51 am

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 1):

But there are even more scathing remarks than those...

David

allrite

Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:57 am

Look, at least when BER is open at least it will be powered by fusion and have parking for our flying cars.

PanHAM

Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:23 am

LOL, only in Berlin.

I mean, kudos to the guy, he must have known that this is the day once the newspaper has publsihed the interview. After all, he is an employee, not a politician and not the CEO of BBI.
He must have known that he gets fired but what the heck, he gets paid, depending on his contract and he has his Name in the News.

OTH, this is just another sign how badly These Airports are run. A CEO who has control over his Company would never allow a spkesman to give an interview that let's him voice the own opinion. More, no CEO in his right mind would have the interview published wothout his approval.

This is another blunder by Mr. Muehenfeld, after greeting that Facebook Mogul at the steps of his Business Jet. Mr. zuckerberg was not amused. The only reason that r. Muehlenfeld can Keep his Job is that it's hard to find another sucker. I think we should sell Berlin and the surrounding part of Brandenburg to Mr. Erdogan in order to get the place ship shape and run well. Opening date in that case would be December 24, 2016 and it better be.

TheSonntag
Topic Author

Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:29 am

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 4):
. I think we should sell Berlin and the surrounding part of Brandenburg to Mr. Erdogan in order to get the place ship shape and run well.

Well, maybe Mr. Böhmermann would be a good new spokesman, as well  .

PanHAM

Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:41 am

For sure, but then it might be difficult to sell the barn to the Turkish

lancelot07

Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:49 am

I am afraid, honesty is out of fashion for some time in German politics, and realism has been thrown out of the window.

N14AZ

Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:14 pm

„Ich verspreche Ihnen: Wenn ich’s weiß, wisst ihr’s auch. Mein Technikchef hält weiter daran fest, dass es eine Chance gibt, 2017 einzuhalten. Und wenn er das glaubt und mir das auch kommuniziert, dann ist es so"

I promise you: Our Boss for technical matters is still believing that 2017 can be reached. And when he believes that and tells me it, then it is like it."

Another quote

"Glauben Sie mir, kein Politiker, kein Flughafendirektor und kein Mensch, der nicht medikamentenabhängig ist, gibt Ihnen feste Garantien für diesen Flughafen.“

Believe me, no politician, no Airport CEO and no human, which is not addicted to drugs, will give you any guarantees on this Airport.
Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 2):

It's true, when you read these two sentences, I think they are acceptable?

LOL, only in Berlin.

Berlin seems to be a good place for press conferences and interviews like this. Remember the fall of the Berlin wall? No, it didn't start with a hammer, it started with a press conference that went completely wrong...

Quote:
"Schabowski read the note aloud at the end of the press conference. One of the reporters asked when the regulations would come into effect. After a few seconds' pause, Schabowski, assuming it would be the same day based on the wording of the note, replied: "As far as I know — effective immediately, without delay." (German: Das tritt nach meiner Kenntnis... ist das sofort... unverzüglich.)"

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G% title="Angola Air Charter">C3%BCnter_Schabowski

The rest is history (very nice history, but not planned like this... 

But in this case I guess the new spokesman knew what would happen. Maybe he did this intentionally, maybe he is looking for Publicity, or a new Job, or maybe both..... or I am thinking too complicated and it was sheer stupidity.

[Edited 2016-04-11 05:15:42]

[Edited 2016-04-11 05:16:10]

Revelation

Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:41 pm

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 2):

Google Translate gives me:

Quote:
Abbou promises is especially openness to regain trust, credibility. "Earlier it was usually said no it's all good. That's bulls__t. Confess yourself to when something has gone s__t. "No one has ever become so clear at BER. One can not turn things around everything just says Abbou. "For this, the old airport crew has screwed up too much, for too many billions have been placed in the sand." And: "It comes out before everything."

And:

Quote:
Abbou assured that the airport will deal differently with the final report of the Berlin BER inquiry committee. "I have no interest in keeping under cover what Platzeck, Wowereit, Black and Mehdorn have screwed up."

----
Quoting allrite (Reply 3):
Look, at least when BER is open at least it will be powered by fusion and have parking for our flying cars.

True.

I mean, kudos to the guy, he must have known that this is the day once the newspaper has publsihed the interview. After all, he is an employee, not a politician and not the CEO of BBI.
He must have known that he gets fired but what the heck, he gets paid, depending on his contract and he has his Name in the News.

I guess this is the equivalent of opening the emergency escape chute and jumping out of the airplane.

flyingturtle

Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:08 pm

From the BER's response, it can be seen that the spokesman was very honest. No good deed goes unpunished.

Quoting Revelation (Reply 9):
Google Translate gives me:

Yes, that's the much more scathing remark - that billions have been wasted, that billions have vanished. If BER opens later, it's not a disaster. Delays happen. Having a working, completed airport after a long delay is the one thing. The other one is the highly efficient money-to-heat conversion process.

David

PanHAM

Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:38 pm

Quoting N14AZ (Reply 8):
it started with a press conference that went completely wrong...

from the poeple's Point of view nothing went wrong there.....

I guess this is the equivalent of opening the emergency escape chute and jumping out of the airplane.

I wish him good luck and a good severance pay.He is an honest Person indeed, which, unfortunate, is not necessarily an asset for a spokesperson. Maybe he should apply for a Job with VW or Deutsche Bank

na

Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:16 pm

"I have no interest in keeping under cover what Platzeck, Wowereit, Schwarz and Mehdorn have screwed up."

Ok, 4 mighty people, or once mighty people with still mighty friends, are accused of having caused the disaster. That is of course the plain truth. And that will be the main reason why the PR guy was fired. The current BER boss apparently cannot accept that his own spokesman says the former bosses screwed up. The current boss has to fear that the PR guy would also tell the public if also he makes a big mistake.
Have you ever heard that a boss was plainly fired? No, bosses leave because they are "eager to accept new challenges", because they have "struck an agreement" (aka "golden handshake"), or because they "want to take a sabbatical".
As we say in Germany: eine Krähe hackt der anderen kein Auge aus.

PanHAM

Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:37 pm

There are numerous examples that top Managers have been fired. The former CEO of Deutsche Bank for instance, Breuer, was openly fired. It is just so that These People usually have 5 year contracts which guarantee them an X amount and that guaranteed amount has to be paid. Pctum sund servandum. Simple as that. That's not a golden handshake..

The seas get rougher, Mr. Breuner for instance has to pay 3,2 Million out of his pockets for the € 940 Million damage he has brought Deutsche Bank. I reckon that is about what he has in his private koffers and he better be nice to the Missus.

Politicians, who mainly screwed up BER, et a Pension life Long and in the case of the Prime Sinisters that is a nice amount and they do not have to fear any suits for damages. Which could be a token amount only anyway .

b747400erf

Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:58 pm

Quoting lancelot07 (Reply 7):

I am afraid, honesty is out of fashion for some time in German politics, and realism has been thrown out of the window.

Sure, no one has ever been fired for bad publicity or telling the truth in history until recently.   

Revelation

Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:08 pm

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 10):
that billions have been wasted, that billions have vanished.

One of the more cynical statements heard around here is "never time to do it right, always time to do it again". It seems appropriate here.

Quoting na (Reply 12):
And that will be the main reason why the PR guy was fired. The current BER boss apparently cannot accept that his own spokesman says the former bosses screwed up. The current boss has to fear that the PR guy would also tell the public if also he makes a big mistake.

Could be, but in any case, I would hope he could find a more enlightening way to help the public understand the past, present and future of the project. It seems he just isn't a very good spokesman.

ua900

Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:53 pm

Those quotes are mild. Would love to see the other ones.

LOL, only in Berlin.

The weird part is that he had a track record of being blunt, had worked in Berlin before for both government and Wall AG (no stranger to good government relations) and had a SPD background.

Quoting na (Reply 12):
"I have no interest in keeping under cover what Platzeck, Wowereit, Schwarz and Mehdorn have screwed up."

Ok, 4 mighty people, or once mighty people with still mighty friends, are accused of having caused the disaster. That is of course the plain truth. And that will be the main reason why the PR guy was fired. The current BER boss apparently cannot accept that his own spokesman says the former bosses screwed up. The current boss has to fear that the PR guy would also tell the public if also he makes a big mistake.

The current BER boss will get in trouble later this month when he'll have to formally admit that 2017 isn't happening. When they'll say 2019, the only obvious benefit is that the date doesn't roll into the next decade.

Quoting na (Reply 12):
As we say in Germany: eine Krähe hackt der anderen kein Auge aus.

Wer die Wahrheit sagt, braucht ein verdammt schnelles Pferd - Those who say the truth need a damn quick horse  

seabosdca

Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:00 pm

medikamentenabhängig

And colorfully descriptive compound words like this are why German is just more fun than English.   

LTU932

Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:26 pm

I guess he must have foreseen that he'd get fired for it anyway, so he still spoke out. That man has earned my respect.

Perhaps it's time we move our federal capital back to Bonn.    Back in the day, politics were much more fun in Bonn than in Berlin.  

MD11Engineer

Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:08 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 13):
There are numerous examples that top Managers have been fired. The former CEO of Deutsche Bank for instance, Breuer, was openly fired. It is just so that These People usually have 5 year contracts which guarantee them an X amount and that guaranteed amount has to be paid. Pctum sund servandum. Simple as that. That's not a golden handshake..

Who writes such contracts? If I don't perform at work, I'l get fired, no golden handshake, no guaranteed bonus etc..
I'd be on the dole (and not even this or the first 6 weks, if it can be proven that I was at fault)-

Jan

PanHAM

Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:21 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 19):
Who writes such contracts? If I don't perform at work, I'l get fired, no golden handshake, no guaranteed bonus etc..
I'd be on the dole (and not even this or the first 6 weks, if it can be proven that I was at fault)-

Law firms, as CEO you have to be an entrepreneur, not an employee. For that you get a time limited contract with a Basic pay and pay in accordance with Performance.

In case of BER, the poor guys who had the Job could not be entreüpreneurs because that Prima Donna Wowereit would not allow it.

It all Comes down to the core failure which was to fire the main contractor and instead fill the void with incompetence. None of the protagonists from Wowereit and Platzeck down to the BER Management had any experience in building an Airport, they had no experience in building anything.

And that seems to carry on. What a mess

CARST

Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:01 am

Quote:
Abbou assured that the airport will deal differently with the final report of the Berlin BER inquiry committee. "I have no interest in keeping under cover what Platzeck, Wowereit, Black and Mehdorn have screwed up."

That is the key sentence from this interview. He clearly called the names of the guys who fucked everything up. Now they made other people fire him...

I want to see this guys, especially Platzeck and Wowereit in a court room. Better in a prison...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos