Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MAH4546

RE: American Airlines Not Interested In MIA-Asia

Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:15 pm

Quoting Miami (Reply 148):
Oh and by the way, the only aircraft they have for such a flight is the 77W. At over 8,200mi, it will be a challenge.

Should be fine. Route goes very northern, above Alaska, where headwinds aren't as much a problem. JED-LAX is longer, and faces stronger headwinds, and SV has no problem with it.
a.

winginit

Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:32 pm

Quoting Miami (Reply 146):
Some interesting news. Was just told that the meeting with China Eastern went well.

Having been in many of these airport/airline meetings myself they always go 'well' in that they're cordial and typically on the fun side in that one party is more or less always trying to schmooze the other and everyone knows it. I wouldn't take much away from such a claim.

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 147):
The year is 2016. If it is not non-stop, it's not going to work.

[Edited 2016-04-21 10:33:19]

Miami
Topic Author

Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:27 pm

Quoting winginit (Reply 151):

Having been in many of these airport/airline meetings myself

I have as well. And believe me I know what you mean. BUT this is the only airline thus far that will continue to have multiple meetings/conversations with MIA. This isn't a one and done.

If I get more info, I'll share it.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

Miami
Topic Author

Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:20 pm

Quote:
Yet another successful meeting with a great airline, Hainan Airlines
www.twitter.com/CommishDiaz/status/723516616466518016
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

adamh8297

Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:32 pm

Quoting Miami (Reply 153):

I think this is MIA's best bet for an Asian flight.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

Miami
Topic Author

Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:57 pm

Quoting adamh8297 (Reply 154):
I think this is MIA's best bet for an Asian flight.

Several people will agree with you.

I can definitely see it.

Flighty

Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:26 pm

MIA has a property market for the businessmen (military) in China to get involved in, having saturated the LAX YVR and SEA markets.

I don't see it, but it could happen.

jfklganyc

Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:29 pm

Hainan was my first thought

But what can the 787 fly it without weight restrictions?

GCP has China around 7700 NM

Miami
Topic Author

Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:12 pm

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 157):
But what can the 787 fly it without weight restrictions?

Maybe when they get their first 789 next month, it can become more of a possibility.

102IAHexpress

Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:43 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 12):
It's the single largest U.S.-Asia market without a non-stop, at 700 PDEW and growing at a quick pace, especially to China.

Philadelphia's metro statistical area and Philadelphia's GDP by metropolitan area are both larger than Miami's and is without a nonstop to Asia.

Miami has other concerns right now besides a non stop flight to Asia, not the least of which is a strong US dollar that has slowed the flow of money from Latin America and Europe. Housing bubble anyone?

Miami
Topic Author

Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:00 pm

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Reply 159):
Miami has other concerns right now besides a non stop flight to Asia

Give me several examples of concerns Miami "has".

[Edited 2016-04-24 10:03:15]

MAH4546

Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:12 pm

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Reply 159):
It's the single largest U.S.-Asia market without a non-stop, at 700 PDEW and growing at a quick pace, especially to China.

Philadelphia's metro statistical area and Philadelphia's GDP by metropolitan area are both larger than Miami's and is without a nonstop to Asia.

Irrelevant. Miami is a larger local market to Asia than Philadelphia.
a.

102IAHexpress

Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:53 pm

Quoting Miami (Reply 160):
Give me several examples of concerns Miami "has".

okay

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/article72020282.htm

...But along with shrinking unemployment was a slightly smaller labor force, dropping by .3 percent. This was the second consecutive month in which the number of job seekers decreased in tandem with unemployment.

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, median household incomes in Broward County have decreased by .3 percent since 2009, while in Palm Beach, wages have fallen 1.2 percent. Median incomes grew only in Miami-Dade, to $43,099 in 2014, the most recent year available, from $37,226 in 2009, a 15.7 percent increase.

“[People in Miami are] seeing stories about condos not selling, and I’m sure this is causing people anxiety because it wasn’t that long ago that . . . there were so many empty condo towers that people couldn’t even imagine they would ever sell. It’s an economic form of PTSD,” that creates economic standstill.

more....

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nati...orld/americas/article68393232.html

Victor Mora, a South Florida air conditioning executive, keeps his eye on economic growth and construction levels in Latin America and the Caribbean when trying to assess whether it will be a good year for his company.

“For us, if the GDP is growing, it’s good news,” he said. “When the economy starts growing, it means people have money to spend and they want to invest in comfort.” But so far, 2016 is getting mixed reviews.

102IAHexpress

Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:59 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 161):
Irrelevant

Larger city and larger economy are irrelevant? Or they just don't further your argument?

MAH4546

Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:59 pm

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Reply 163):

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 161):
Irrelevant

Larger city and larger economy are irrelevant? Or they just don't further your argument?

It is rrelevant because I was talking about market size to Asia and nothing more. Miami is a larger market to Asia.

Further, Miami will easily fly past Philadelphia next year, as its growing much faster and its metro is 6.012M, within 60,000 of Philadelphia 6.069M. It's also within 100k of DC's metro, which it will also surpass next year.

How's the oil industry doing?
a.

102IAHexpress

Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:58 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 164):
Miami is a larger market to Asia.

Philadelphia is the largest US market without a nonstop to Asia. period. Larger metro population, larger metro gdp, shorter nonstop route than Miami. Nothing against Miami, Philly is just bigger. sorry that puts a fly in your Miami koolaid.

PlanesNTrains

Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:11 pm

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Reply 165):
Philadelphia is the largest US market without a nonstop to Asia. period. Larger metro population, larger metro gdp, shorter nonstop route than Miami. Nothing against Miami, Philly is just bigger. sorry that puts a fly in your Miami koolaid.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but if what you say is true, then why does it seem like the Asian carriers are kicking Miami's tires so much right now? Why has there never been (to my knowledge) an PHLNRT (for example)? We've heard it discussed countless times over the years - you'd think that such a large market as PHL would have a nonstop to Asia by now. Instead, we're at least hearing about a possible MIA to Asia flight.

I guess it could be all talk - we'll know when we know.  

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

thekorean

Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:24 pm

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Reply 165):

EWR less than 100 miles away though, with convenient Amtrak service too.

Closest airport to MIA with Asian service is ATL. Thats gotta be at least300-400 miles away.

102IAHexpress

Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:35 pm

Quoting thekorean (Reply 167):
EWR less than 100 miles away though, with convenient Amtrak service too.

Closest airport to MIA with Asian service is ATL. Thats gotta be at least300-400 miles away.

Being close to ERW is not a bad thing. Half the population in the US lives along the east coast. One of PHL advantages are its lower operating costs compared IAD, JFK and EWR.

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 166):
I don't have a dog in this fight,

There's no fight. It's just that the Miami guys on this board don't like to get corrected. Most people would say thank you, i was not aware of that, but I'm not surprised, I've been reading their "opinions" for over ten years.

PlanesNTrains

Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:41 pm

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Reply 168):
the Miami guys on this board don't like to get corrected. Most people would say thank you, i was not aware of that

I understand, but I think you may have both been saying different things. I might be wrong but it seemed like you were discussing the size of the Philadelphia metro area market overall as the largest without nonstops to Asia. I think Mark was discussing the actual daily demand between PHL-Asia vs MIA-Asia. If I'm wrong, I'll say thank you, I was not aware of that.  

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

winginit

Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:42 pm

I don't have a dog in this fight, but if what you say is true, then why does it seem like the Asian carriers are kicking Miami's tires so much right now?
Instead, we're at least hearing about a possible MIA to Asia flight.

Are we not simply hearing more about Asian carriers kicking MIA's tires because A.net user 'Miami' is an employee for the airport and chooses to share a lot of that stuff? Apologies if I've misinterpreted that but i'd gotten the impression that he worked for the airport in some capacity.

Just because we're not hearing about a PHL-Asia route doesn't mean meetings similar to MU/HU/etc. and MIA aren't taking place in PHL.

PlanesNTrains

Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:58 pm

Quoting winginit (Reply 170):
Just because we're not hearing about a PHL-Asia route doesn't mean meetings similar to MU/HU/etc. and MIA aren't taking place in PHL.

Oh I agree. We only know what we're told. I can't help but think that geographically PHL is marginalized by NYC and WAS, while MIA is marginalized by distance. The former would have been pretty easy to add by now - but nobody has - while the latter has really needed the right carrier with the right aircraft.

As I said, though - we'll know when we know.

-Dave
-Dave

mugler

Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:16 pm

If he worked at MIA he wouldnt post half of the things he does, so no. Just rumours from who knows who and feed from MIA's social media.

A flight to Asia will happen eventually, no one knows exactly when or where it will be but these threads are tiresome since most of them are just speculation and rumors that only give a bad name to MIA...

Miami
Topic Author

Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:28 pm

I'm sure it does happen at PHL. No doubt in my mind.

Quoting Mugler (Reply 172):
If he worked at MIA he wouldnt post half of the things he does, so no. Just rumours from who knows who and feed from MIA's social media.

I find it funny how you think you know me. Nice guess but no. Oh and thanks for the laugh.  
these threads are tiresome since most of them are just speculation and rumors that only give a bad name to MIA...

To some but not all believe that.

I'm sorry MIA is the most talked about airport in the world. It's not our fault others don't discuss their hometown aiport as much as we do.

PlanesNTrains

Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:02 am

Quoting Miami (Reply 173):
I'm sorry MIA is the most talked about airport in the world. It's not our fault others don't discuss their hometown aiport as much as we do.

Just today's flavor. Enjoy it because it doesn't last.  

-Dave
-Dave

winginit

Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:08 pm

Your first point there doesn't make a whole lot of sense (there are loads of us on here who work for carriers and airports alike, and I think you'll find we talk about our employers more than anything else)

I'm sorry MIA is the most talked about airport in the world.

It'd be difficult to measure, but I'm quite confident LHR and LAX are discussed far more than MIA

Miami
Topic Author

Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:22 pm

China Southern told "Task Force". "We agree. It's time for a Asia flight to/from MIA"   

Miami
Topic Author

Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:00 pm

NRT officials are in Miami to have a meeting with MIA officials.

jasoncrh

Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:13 pm

That's nice. but airports don't make route planning decisions for airlines.

Quoting Miami (Reply 177):
NRT officials are in Miami to have a meeting with MIA officials.

Miami
Topic Author

Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:08 pm

Quoting JasonCRH (Reply 178):

Never said they do.

Aeroflot001

Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:13 pm

As much as I cherish MIA for being my hometown airport I doubt it, maybe top 10? Alas the commute from West Kendall to MIA on a weekday morning is hardly ever a pleasant one.

Keeping my fingers crossed for MIA-NRT on AA someday.

washingtonflyer

Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:48 pm

I don't have dog in this either. Both MIA and PHL have substantial attractions. Neither has any non-stop service to anywhere in the Far East. PHL is a large corporate center with manufacturing, banking, publishing, insurance, and the like. Not to mention a large 1W hub and a large residential population MSA.

Miami is really gateway to Latin America and the MIA area itself is pretty flush with money right now. It also has a lot of corporate connections as well as trade connections.

I think the appeal to MIA is that there is no service anywhere close to MIA (ATL is 500+ miles away) and MIA is AA's (and a lot of other Latin airlines) gateway to South America and the Caribbean. Now, a lot of folks are down on South America right now for economic reasons (Venezuela, Ecuador, and Brazil), but its a large untapped market and there are a lot of cash heavy customers floating around south Florida.

I'd be thrilled to see service to either city. I think PHL is an easier case to make owing to the distance involved, but with a 789, I will bet you can and will see AA or JL attempting MIA. Other cities have been successful with smaller population cachements (SAN being one)....

Miami
Topic Author

Mon May 02, 2016 7:27 pm

Quote:
Miami-Dade Deputy Aviation Director Ken Pyatt and Miami-Dade County Commissioner José "Pepe" Diaz led the mission to mainland China and Taiwan on April 11-23 and met with officials from China Eastern Airlines, China Southern Airlines and Hainan Airlines to possibly land the service for Miami International Airport.

"We had exceptionally positive talks with some of China’s most prominent airlines,” said Diaz in a statement. "All three expressed great interest in route development to Miami. We're encouraged by their receptivity, and we're optimistic about the near-term possibility of direct flights to mainland China."
http://www.bizjournals.com/southflor...Q7IEFxgCHI&t=1462216880&j=72848012