Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CPA62
Topic Author

YVR 2016 Looks Positive Part 2

Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:04 am

YVR has had a remarkable Feb 2016! overall Feb 2016 up 10.7% over Feb 2015. Stats posted on the YVR website.

Domestic + 9.4%
Transborder + 7.5%
Asia + 16.9 %
Europe + 20.4%

2016 is up 8.7% over same period 2015.

is the low CAD attracting US Travellers?
Air Canada new flight YYZ-DXB, DEL pulling passenger away from Emirates in Seattle?
Changes in TWOV?

Apart from Xiamen Airlines not new airlines rumoured for 2016?

new routes to BNE, XMN and DUB

Viscount724

RE: YVR 2016 Looks Positive Part 2

Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:24 am

Quoting CPA62 (Thread starter):

new routes to BNE, XMN and DUB

But increased capacity with new WS 6 x week 763 seasonal nonstops to LGW. BA also begins YVR's first A380 service to LHR in two weeks (May 1), replacing the 744, meaning roughly 1,000 additional seats a week in each direction, although in my opinion far too many premium seats for the YVR market, especially in the summer when there's little business traffic. Even in the winter they don't need 97 J and 14 F seats to YVR.

YVRLTN

Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:45 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 1):
BA also begins YVR's first A380 service to LHR in two weeks (May 1), replacing the 744, meaning roughly 1,000 additional seats a week in each direction, although in my opinion far too many premium seats for the YVR market, especially in the summer when there's little business traffic. Even in the winter they don't need 97 J and 14 F seats to YVR.

There will actually be less capacity as there is usually a 2nd 744 flight 5 days a week in summer which is being dropped and replaced with single daily A380.

Tianjin Airlines are supposedly to start Chongqing - Tianjin - YVR, due June this year once their 2nd & 3rd 330's are delivered.

Transborder + 7.5%

I guess DL & Rouge is responsible for quite a bit of this growth. AC are adding ORD, SJC & SAN this summer. WS also adding SAN, as well as YHM and YXU domestically. But we lose AS to LAX.

Europe + 20.4%

This is significant. Guess a lot of this is the AF flight and extra LH MUC flight. TS are adding FCO this summer and SJD to their winter schedule.
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

Viscount724

Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:05 am

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 2):
Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 1):
BA also begins YVR's first A380 service to LHR in two weeks (May 1), replacing the 744, meaning roughly 1,000 additional seats a week in each direction, although in my opinion far too many premium seats for the YVR market, especially in the summer when there's little business traffic. Even in the winter they don't need 97 J and 14 F seats to YVR.

There will actually be less capacity as there is usually a 2nd 744 flight 5 days a week in summer which is being dropped and replaced with single daily A380.

Forgot about the cancelled second flight. Found one reference mentioning that before the 5 x week flight was removed from the schedule due to the A380s introduction, the extra flight this summer was scheduled as a 777-200ER, not a 744.

bcbhokie

Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:39 pm

is the low CAD attracting US Travellers?

Anecdotally, yes. Fares are incredibly cheap ex-YVR for Seattle passengers, and more than half of my trips have been booked in Canada this year. The difference is often a 30-40% discount - frequently outpacing even the currency exchange differences. In some cases, I've been able to book J fares for a price similar to Y fares from Seattle.

In particular, I've found the best fares amid a lot of competition on routes to China and Europe - with the new AF flight to YVR and continuously growing mainland China capacity, there are a lot of seats to be sold for not a lot of money. So I'm not surprised to see the double-digit growth in both destinations.

I can't see this being sustainable over the long term, but I'm certainly enjoying the party while it lasts!

Jayce

Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:50 pm

We do lose AS to LAX, but we also gain a third daily WS flight on the route. WS is also starting YHZ this summer as well, so we should see those number continue to increase.

Does anyone know the status of Beijing Capital Airlines application to serve YVR?
"Trying is the first step towards failure" -Homer Simpson

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos