Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bigfoot0503

RE: Oregon Aviation Thread - Part 12

Tue May 03, 2016 8:20 pm

Quoting pdxswa (Reply 48):
PDX certainly gets some interesting traffic every now and then

Thanks for sharing your work Bill! Love all the persepctives you are able to capture!

flyoregon

Fri May 06, 2016 5:18 am

KLM started AMS-SLC today, BA started LHR-SJC yesterday, and so I started to wonder what was next for Portland.

First off, I know SLC is a Delta hub and the reasoning for KLM being there is that. And I also know SJC is part of the massive Bay Area. But, Portland, in and of itself, is the "little" airport that could.

We're breaking records every month with growth out of PDX and it's fantastic. I love to see it and love to see that it continues. What I don't understand is why KLM and Delta fly the same day from AMS to SLC...seems a little redundant. SLC is not a great O&D airport, so there must be a lot of feed onto those flights. The SLC-LHR justification makes sense. I always like to say to my SLC area family that without Delta, SLC wouldn't be much of an airport. As much as people like to argue the point, it's not much of a vacation destination outside of winter. And please don't say the National Parks and/or Mormons make it work...because they don't. It helps, but it's not all that much.

But I digress. Alaska has essentially said with the new ERJ order that PDX is ours so back off. That means more growth, new routes, more feed. So when do we think BA (the likely next entrant) pull the trigger? Seems like we've been waiting and waiting on that one. Icelandair announced year-round service later this year? Wouldn't be surprised. I'd be absolutely thrilled to have AMS, LHR, and KEF year-round from PDX. The region CAN support that. This isn't 2009 when LH pulled out. Dynamics are totally different which we've beat to death here.

My airline world would be complete with BA to London, FI to Reykjavik, and DL to Amsterdam and Tokyo from Portland. Might as well throw HU to Beijing.

I like to hear everyone's thoughts again even though it's been talked about before-- A LOT.

pdxav8r

Fri May 06, 2016 6:15 am

Quoting flyoregon (Reply 51):

I think the writing is on the wall for DL to NRT. If DL eventually wants to use Haneda or Shanghai as their Asian connection point, it is hard to see the limited HND slots go to a PDX flight. And with the uncertainty of Shanghai even being viable to DL, don't really see that either. My gut tells me DL will eventually cede this route, and it will end up with an AS partner. With the newer Midwest/PDX service along with other AS service, I very much see PDX as an attractive jump point for JL, KE, etc. With DL not as much in bed with AS and the future flip from NRT, someone else will snap it up, and it will probably end up better for AS FF's. However, I am impressed with the amount of service and options DL has grown in PDX over the last few years. It will be interesting to see the level of service they offer when/if the AS/DL deal completely dissolves. It could actually end up hurting the overall options us PDX'ers enjoy at the moment.

bluejackets

Fri May 06, 2016 6:57 am

So when do we think BA (the likely next entrant) pull the trigger?

PDX-LHR is quite a long stage-length for BA on a city that would still not be considered amongst the top-tier in the U.S. I would think they would need some more guarantees (i.e. population) in the Portland area to open. I think their 777s and 787s could be better utilized.

They fly to SEA, SFO and SJC now. All easy connections from PDX.

A wild card could be VS to LHR or even LGW. I think some others will challenge more for the Europe market before BA does.

What I don't understand is why KLM and Delta fly the same day from AMS to SLC...seems a little redundant. SLC is not a great O&D airport, so there must be a lot of feed onto those flights.

DL is doing well at SLC and I think these new flights prove that. They are getting a lot of west coast traffic moved through there and KLM is another easy connection opportunity from DL. It doesn't hurt to have another alliance partner on the route.
It's funny when I tell people I love planes and they think I'm weird.

BlatantEcho

Fri May 06, 2016 11:59 am

Quoting pdxav8r (Reply 52):
Quoting pdxav8r (Reply 52):
I think the writing is on the wall for DL to NRT. If DL eventually wants to use Haneda or Shanghai as their Asian connection point, it is hard to see the limited HND slots go to a PDX flight. And with the uncertainty of Shanghai even being viable to DL, don't really see that either. My gut tells me DL will eventually cede this route, and it will end up with an AS partner. With the newer Midwest/PDX service along with other AS service, I very much see PDX as an attractive jump point for JL, KE, etc. With DL not as much in bed with AS and the future flip from NRT, someone else will snap it up, and it will probably end up better for AS FF's. However, I am impressed with the amount of service and options DL has grown in PDX over the last few years. It will be interesting to see the level of service they offer when/if the AS/DL deal completely dissolves. It could actually end up hurting the overall options us PDX'ers enjoy at the moment.

This is probably the most succinct answer I've seen, and agree completely on the Asia side.

For Europe, the Amsterdam flight seems to grow and grow, but, my impression is it's still powered by Nike buying so many seats up front. Every time I take that flight, it seems like there are 10 Nike folks on it, and a lot of them are in D1.

--
On the domestic side:

These planes are going to open a lot of routes for us.

Remember, Alaska has basically said PDX passenger volume on a route is generally 50% of Seattle.
So, it stands to reason, if SEA has a station it is serving with -900s all the time, and we don't have service at all, that the E175 could make it possible.

There are 5-6 cities that would be great additions ASAP to the AS route map out of PDX.

- IAH
- DEN (yeah yeah, they still need to do it no matter what)
- ABQ
- DTW (assuming the 175 can make it year round)
- BNA or SAT - flip a coin

I'm flying PDX-OMA to spend a weekend in Nebraska just because the non-stop exists.  

UnitedFlyer

Sat May 14, 2016 4:39 am

http://www.mailtribune.com/article/20160510/NEWS/160519946

MFR chugs along with another record month.

flyoregon

Mon May 16, 2016 5:45 pm

A couple questions that I'm sure I could find with Google, but too lazy to do it:

Regarding Icelandair:

-Any idea what the pre-bookings for this season are?
-When does it go to 4x weekly and back to 2x weekly?

Regarding Condor:

-When does the season begin?
-Same questions as above.

Regarding Air Canada:

-Will YYZ-PDX be year-round?
-Why would YYZ-SLC be year-round but not PDX?
-Is YYC-PDX still 2x daily in the summer?

Regarding Volaris:

-How are they doing? The loads look healthy, but are they successful and could we see expanded service?

pdx

Tue May 17, 2016 5:52 am

Quoting flyoregon (Reply 56):
A couple questions that I'm sure I could find with Google, but too lazy to do it:

Regarding Icelandair:

-Any idea what the pre-bookings for this season are?
-When does it go to 4x weekly and back to 2x weekly?

Regarding Condor:

-When does the season begin?
-Same questions as above.

Regarding Air Canada:

-Will YYZ-PDX be year-round?
-Why would YYZ-SLC be year-round but not PDX?
-Is YYC-PDX still 2x daily in the summer?

Regarding Volaris:

-How are they doing? The loads look healthy, but are they successful and could we see expanded service?

ICELANDAIR

Not sure about pre-bookings, but the seat map for their first flight (Y class) on 11MAY had 1 left!
4X starts 26JUN and goes back to 2X on 29OCT.

CONDOR

Season begins 10JUN.
Not sure about pre-bookings.
4X starts 16JUL and goes back to 2X on 20SEP.

AIR CANADA

YYZ-PDX is not year round. Last day is 17OCT.
Don't know why YYZ-SLC is year round. Maybe they'll cut it back?
YYC-PDX is 2X daily in the summer. It ends on 29OCT.

VOLARIS

I hope they're doing well! Currently 3X per week. Thought it was 4?

pdxswa

Mon May 23, 2016 1:28 am

Nice to see Icelandair back at PDX Hekla Aurora heading back on the first service of 2016.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Bill Shemley

RWA380

Mon May 23, 2016 1:42 am

Quoting pdxswa (Reply 58):
Nice to see Icelandair back at PDX Hekla Aurora heading back on the first service of 2016.

Another incredible shot, thanks for your continued support of this thread & the enjoyable pictures.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

toobz

Mon May 23, 2016 1:31 pm

Hey I took that flight on the 11th! Great pic!

twincommander

Tue May 24, 2016 4:17 am

Are those Nellis F15s here to get their butts handed to them by the Redhawks?

ANA787

Tue May 24, 2016 5:21 pm

PDX April traffic statistics are out:

http://cdn.portofportland.com/pdfs/Apr2016webstats.pdf

9.7% increase in passenger numbers April 2016 vs April 2015.

9.8% increase in passengers year to date. Quite the growth! PDX will probably end the year with near 10% passenger growth which will be near 18.5 million.

HA had nearly 1,000 more passengers in April 2016 vs April 2015.

Southwest up 10.6%.

flyoregon

Tue May 24, 2016 6:22 pm

Quoting ANA787 (Reply 62):
PDX April traffic statistics are out:

http://cdn.portofportland.com/pdfs/Apr2016webstats.pdf

9.7% increase in passenger numbers April 2016 vs April 2015.

9.8% increase in passengers year to date. Quite the growth! PDX will probably end the year with near 10% passenger growth which will be near 18.5 million.

HA had nearly 1,000 more passengers in April 2016 vs April 2015.

Southwest up 10.6%.

Thanks for picking up my slack...things got busy the last few months and haven't had time to put the stat report together.

Another great year for Portland. For not being a legacy hub, and not even a huge hub at that for Alaska (even though it is the second largest), PDX is doing very, very well. But, like I've mentioned before, I get a bit nervous when things grow to fast as they tend to implode in some cases. Luckily, we have a smart Alaska Airlines as the dominant carrier, and that should help with modest levels of growth.

Great job!

Airnerd

Tue May 24, 2016 6:41 pm

Quoting flyoregon (Reply 63):
Another great year for Portland. For not being a legacy hub, and not even a huge hub at that for Alaska (even though it is the second largest), PDX is doing very, very well. But, like I've mentioned before, I get a bit nervous when things grow to fast as they tend to implode in some cases. Luckily, we have a smart Alaska Airlines as the dominant carrier, and that should help with modest levels of growth.

It is interesting that the AS is growing more slowly at PDX than most of the other majors (though some of their recent growth is through Skywest, so it is difficult to track). That's probably not a bad thing. I think it's going to be a blockbuster summer at PDX. The TSA situation may become pretty challenging. During the morning rush it's already getting pretty intense. I recently did 45 minutes in the WN baggage check line, and another 45 minutes in the security line. Made the flight, but it was getting pretty tight.

flyoregon

Tue May 24, 2016 6:46 pm

Quoting Airnerd (Reply 64):
It is interesting that the AS is growing more slowly at PDX than most of the other majors (though some of their recent growth is through Skywest, so it is difficult to track). That's probably not a bad thing. I think it's going to be a blockbuster summer at PDX. The TSA situation may become pretty challenging. During the morning rush it's already getting pretty intense. I recently did 45 minutes in the WN baggage check line, and another 45 minutes in the security line. Made the flight, but it was getting pretty tight.

I know there are plans to make more room for security lines, but as it is, during the rush hours, the line gets backed up all the way into the entry corridors to the Oregon Market. So, I hope they are smart in their remodel and plan for 18, 19, 20, 21+ million passengers per year in the coming years.

Airnerd

Wed May 25, 2016 12:20 am

Quoting flyoregon (Reply 65):
I know there are plans to make more room for security lines, but as it is, during the rush hours, the line gets backed up all the way into the entry corridors to the Oregon Market. So, I hope they are smart in their remodel and plan for 18, 19, 20, 21+ million passengers per year in the coming years.

There will be more space for security this year when the exits move. But I'm not sure it's lack of space that's causing the delays. There's a serious staffing shortage at TSA. http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...rs-overnight-woes-expand/84444322/

flyoregon

Fri May 27, 2016 7:40 pm

Anybody get a feel for the arrival LF from YYZ yesterday and the departing LF back this morning? As hopeful as I am for AC to make this route work, I'm being cautiously optimistic.

bigfoot0503

Fri May 27, 2016 9:18 pm

Quoting flyoregon (Reply 67):
As hopeful as I am for AC to make this route work, I'm being cautiously optimistic.

My take as well. The YYC flights seem to be doing fairly decent and will soon be back at 2 departures/day. Additionally YVR service will transition from the Dash 8-300 to the Q400 in the next month or so.

pdxswa

Sat May 28, 2016 11:28 pm

The latest to come out of the paint hangars here at PDX. This might be my favorite one painted here so far. " Pin Up Girl " G-VFAN for Virgin Atlantic Airways heading back as Boeing 39 to CHS.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Bill Shemley

RWA380

Sat May 28, 2016 11:51 pm

Quoting pdxswa (Reply 69):
The latest to come out of the paint hangars here at PDX. This might be my favorite one painted here so far. " Pin Up Girl " G-VFAN for Virgin Atlantic Airways heading back as Boeing 39 to CHS.

After hearing the P.O.P. director met with VS in London a few months back, maybe this won't become such a rare visitor ... Great shot once again!
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

KPDX

Sun May 29, 2016 2:06 pm

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 70):
After hearing the P.O.P. director met with VS in London a few months back, maybe this won't become such a rare visitor ... Great shot once again!

Well, VS just announced SEA so I'm doubtful this will come to fruition now.

lhpdx

Sun May 29, 2016 6:38 pm

Quoting KPDX (Reply 71):
Quoting RWA380 (Reply 70):

Well, VS just announced SEA so I'm doubtful this will come to fruition now.

That really sucks!! Seattle growth as of late has been nothing but phenomenal....I must confess I'm a tad bit jealous..I wonder how much longer will take for PDX come from among t the shadow of our sister city to the north?? (sign)

RWA380

Tue May 31, 2016 9:11 am

As is being discussed in another thread, it seems LHR-PDX is becoming a reality on DL. If true this will be the first non-stop scheduled service to the Rose City. 4x weekly Summer of 2017, I expect it'll do alright, depending on timing. London is a weak hub for Skyteam, so I'd guess this is going to be geared towards corporate flyers & O/D traffic, although with summer only service, DL may lose it's appeal if it's off the shelf for 8 months out o the year.

VS Comes To SEA-LHR; DL Goes To PDX-LHR (by n7371f May 31 2016 in Civil Aviation)

Since VS has taken the LHR-SEA route, it seems that DL is going to dedicate some resources to another PDX International flight. A LHR non-stop seems to be a better choice than a n/s to CDG.

BlatantEcho

Tue May 31, 2016 11:56 am

^^^^^

uhhhh, that would be huge and very unexpected news from Delta!

Might be part of the JV with VA that they have to add metal if VA does.... so I guess it makes more sense than any other add (and I've said on other thread there is NO way Virigin + Delta will run 2 flights a day to LHR, just, not going to happen).

Very very interesting. I'll post my response in the other thread.

lhpdx

Tue May 31, 2016 1:12 pm

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 73):
As is being discussed in another thread, it seems LHR-PDX is becoming a reality on DL. If true this will be the first non-stop scheduled service to the Rose City. 4x weekly Summer of 2017, I expect it'll do alright, depending on timing. London is a weak hub for Skyteam, so I'd guess this is going to be geared towards corporate flyers & O/D traffic, although with summer only service, DL may lose it's appeal if it's off the shelf for 8 months out o the year.

VS Comes To SEA-LHR; DL Goes To PDX-LHR (by n7371f May 31 2016 in Civil Aviation)

Since VS has taken the LHR-SEA route, it seems that DL is going to dedicate some resources to another PDX International flight. A LHR non-stop seems to be a better choice than a n/s to CDG.

OMG!!! I definitely wasn't expecting this from Delta.......This will be a nice addition to the PDX portfolio.......

kwbl

Tue May 31, 2016 2:11 pm

This is awesome! Looks like I might be going overseas next May! Hopefully the route will do well and go to year-round....I wish there was better Skyteam connectivity at LHR but this should still do ok.

flyoregon

Tue May 31, 2016 5:03 pm

Even with this announcement from DL, I still expect BA to announce, and perhaps even sooner now. Otherwise, they missed a great opportunity. The dissolution of the AS and DL partnership makes DL a less favorable choice to LHR and like others have said, this is purely an O&D route seeing as there are very few Skyteam options out of London. Nice to finally see London on the map though. It's a long time overdue.

derek0aa

Tue May 31, 2016 5:25 pm

Quoting flyoregon (Reply 78):
Even with this announcement from DL, I still expect BA to announce, and perhaps even sooner now. Otherwise, they missed a great opportunity. The dissolution of the AS and DL partnership makes DL a less favorable choice to LHR and like others have said, this is purely an O&D route seeing as there are very few Skyteam options out of London. Nice to finally see London on the map though. It's a long time overdue.

I agree with you on this. BA has limitless feed at PDX through Alaska and could probably easily make it work year round if they ever gave it a go.

Meanwhile we're still without service to Florida!! :P

flyoregon

Tue May 31, 2016 7:24 pm

Quoting derek0aa (Reply 79):
I agree with you on this. BA has limitless feed at PDX through Alaska and could probably easily make it work year round if they ever gave it a go.

Meanwhile we're still without service to Florida!! :P

I feel like Delta is just messing with Alaska and their partners on this one. They don't have as many loyalists in Portland like they use to. That said, DL's PDX-LHR is welcome, but it would be nice to hear Speedbird over the frequency.

With the launch being just about a year out, I wonder if BA could jump in on the route sooner?

[Edited 2016-05-31 12:42:23]

panamair

Tue May 31, 2016 7:31 pm

Quoting derek0aa (Reply 79):
BA has limitless feed at PDX through Alaska

FYI, BA does not even have a codeshare relationship with AS currently anywhere, not even in SEA....Many if not all of any potential domestic feed through PDX could already be obtained today through SEA if BA chose to.

ANA787

Tue May 31, 2016 9:09 pm

Amazing that PDX will now have nonstop flights to four cities in Europe: LHR, AMS, FRA and KEF. Wouldn't be surprised if CDG isn't far behind. PDX-CDG makes much more sense than LHR. I suppose if LHR doesn't work out DL might just move the flight over to start nonstop PDX-CDG.

flyoregon

Tue May 31, 2016 10:30 pm

Quoting ANA787 (Reply 82):
I suppose if LHR doesn't work out DL might just move the flight over to start nonstop PDX-CDG.

I think they should do that anyway.

lhpdx

Tue May 31, 2016 10:55 pm

Now that we have Europe covered for a market our size, now I would love to see some "Asia love" sent our way...............

flyoregon

Tue May 31, 2016 11:10 pm

Quoting lhpdx (Reply 84):
Now that we have Europe covered for a market our size, now I would love to see some "Asia love" sent our way...............

Well everyone here thinks HU is the likely choice, but we also said that about BA.

This probably makes me the outlier in this situation, but I'm normally ecstatic about new route announcements from PDX, so I was actually disappointed when I saw that Delta was going to start the route. I've been holding out for BA for ages! I hope BA announces and DL shifts to CDG. Then my PDX world would be complete.

lhpdx

Tue May 31, 2016 11:38 pm

Quoting flyoregon (Reply 85):
I was actually disappointed when I saw that Delta was going to start the route. I've been holding out for BA for ages! I hope BA announces and DL shifts to CDG. Then my PDX world would be complete.

I too share your sentiments......It would be great seeing other international tails at PDX other than DL....

flyoregon

Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:41 pm

I was going through the Icelandair flight schedule for Summer 2016, and they have Portland listed at 3x weekly June 2 (today) - October 21 then 1x weekly from there on. I was under the impression it went 4x weekly later on this month?

I don't see any date on the timetable so maybe it's just outdated.

I'm also interested to hear other people's thoughts on the DL to London add...I thought there'd be more PDX specific chatter about it.

Airnerd

Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:45 pm

Quoting flyoregon (Reply 87):
I'm also interested to hear other people's thoughts on the DL to London add...I thought there'd be more PDX specific chatter about it.

Maybe there's not much chatter because it's not daily and seasonal, and STRANGE. Is it really going to work without any meaningful transfer opportunities on either end?

I have to assume AMS would never work without the connection opportunities, right?

derek0aa

Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:07 pm

I'm not all that excited either. It's a good add, but not an add PDX needed. I'm sure there would be far more enthusiasm it it were a daily (or maybe 5-6x weekly) year round flight.

Who knows, maybe BA still announces PDX some time in the near future and scares DL away. That'll stir up a lot more conversation.  

flyoregon

Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:20 pm

Quoting Airnerd (Reply 88):
Maybe there's not much chatter because it's not daily and seasonal, and STRANGE. Is it really going to work without any meaningful transfer opportunities on either end?

That's why I expected more discussion because it is strange. AMS works well because of connections. CDG makes a lot more sense from PDX because of connections. LHR...doesn't make sense.

Quoting derek0aa (Reply 89):
m not all that excited either. It's a good add, but not an add PDX needed. I'm sure there would be far more enthusiasm it it were a daily (or maybe 5-6x weekly) year round flight.

Who knows, maybe BA still announces PDX some time in the near future and scares DL away. That'll stir up a lot more conversation.  

I agree with half of that. LHR is something PDX needs, but not on Delta and certainly not seasonal.

My sincere hope is Delta get's BA's attention, BA announces, and Delta shifts to CDG. Fingers crossed.

bigfoot0503

Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:28 pm

I'm also interested to hear other people's thoughts on the DL to London add

The DL announcement regarding LHR actually suprised me. As a Sky Miles Medallion member and frequent DL flyer I had often heard that CDG was more the next logical add for DL at PDX. I'm pleased that DL has put a nice emphasis on service at PDX and I'm convinced that more service adds are likely in the future.

Might we anticipate DL adding PDX-CDG on the days where the LHR flight is not operating?

One theme that seems to echo in the postings herein is the connectivity at LHR with Sky Team seems to be lacking. Can anyone speak to what airlines/alliances at LHR would offer some degree of benefit for someone to consider the LHR non-stop when travel beyond London is a consideration?

flyoregon

Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:35 pm

Quoting bigfoot0503 (Reply 91):
One theme that seems to echo in the postings herein is the connectivity at LHR with Sky Team seems to be lacking. Can anyone speak to what airlines/alliances at LHR would offer some degree of benefit for someone to consider the LHR non-stop when travel beyond London is a consideration?

According to the SkyTeam website and route mapper (http://applications.skyteam.com/routemapper/?_ga=1.229453724.1440480122.1464903149#/destinations/LHR), there are options but nothing you can't get out of AMS or CDG. Don't get me wrong, having a flight to London is awesome, but it's oddball on Delta.

[Edited 2016-06-02 14:36:31]

derek0aa

Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:22 pm

Quoting flyoregon (Reply 90):
I agree with half of that. LHR is something PDX needs, but not on Delta and certainly not seasonal.

Oh I 100% agree PDX needs LHR. I just meant the seasonal add on DL wasn't what it needed. It's a good baby step though. I just hope the lack of connections isn't a downfall that scares away other carriers on this route.

flyoregon

Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:36 am

Quoting derek0aa (Reply 93):
I just hope the lack of connections isn't a downfall that scares away other carriers on this route.

I'd like to think they're smarter than that to let a bad example of Delta tell a whole story. Connections on this side with Alaska and connections on that side with British, as we all have beat to death, is the clear winner for a successful PDX-LHR route.

pdx

Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:55 am

I was going through the Icelandair flight schedule for Summer 2016, and they have Portland listed at 3x weekly June 2 (today) - October 21 then 1x weekly from there on. I was under the impression it went 4x weekly later on this month?

11MAY-04JUN...WE/FR
05JUN-25JUN...SU/WE/FR
26JUN-10SEP...SU/TU/WE/FR
11SEP-28OCT...SU/WE/FR (EX 23OCT)
29OCT-10JAN...TU/FR

Subject to change

RWA380

Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:12 am

Quoting flyoregon (Reply 90):
LHR...doesn't make sense.

From an O/D standpoint it does, AMS nor CDG have the O/D PDX-LHR has. PDX-LHR isn't really well timed for connections to VS to many of their destinations. PDX-AMS exists because of connecting traffic, many people already fly PDX-AMS-LHR, this gives these folks a non-stop & makes room for more connecting traffic onwards from AMS off the PDX-AMS flight.

pdxav8r

Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:48 am

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 96):

Absolutely agree. That, and the fact CDG would just water down the AMS revenue. This is all O/D. I do find it as an oddball, especially when compared to DL's other North American-LHR flights. But the NRT flight is also kind of oddball. Hell, PDX and DL are strange in that they are trying to grow SEA into a major hub, but they continue to grow PDX just a few miles south. You have to think if DL is dipping their toes into PDX/LHR, even seasonally, that BA could/can make PDX work with options on both ends. Year round. But why haven't they? If DL had 787's, this flight would surely make a killing. Good, possibly protective move by DL. Hell, just glad somebody finally started it.

Airnerd

Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:51 pm

Quoting pdxav8r (Reply 97):
But the NRT flight is also kind of oddball.

It is getting to be more of one isn't it? Made more sense when NW operated a more robust Asia transfer hub at NRT.

dc10lover

Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:58 am

Wasn't UA suppose to provide main line between EUG & SFO this Summer? I don't see it yet.
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos