qf789
Topic Author

TG434 CGK-BKK Hit By Severe Turbulence, 6 Injured

Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:46 am

On Monday 11th April 2016, TG434 with 72 passengers and 12 crew operating CGK-BKK hit severe turbulence. 5 crew and 1 passenger required medical treatment. The passenger injured was not wearing a seat belt, was thrown into the air and hit their head. Pictures in the link below show a blood stained seat.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel...y/6eb6f6eacd82bfca0a442cb901eb1e10

Flight operated by 777-200 HS-TJF

Once again this highlights why seatbelts need to be worn at all times
Forum Moderator

777LRF

RE: TG434 CGK-BKK Hit By Severe Turbulence, 6 Injured

Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:50 am

You learn the same lessons from all of these events. It's hard to feel sorry for any pax who were injured if they were in a position in which they should have been wearing their seatbelts. Nevertheless it's sickening to imagine what the pax who did hit his head went through, regardless of whether he/she should have had their seat belt or not.

I wish everyone a quick recovery!      

darnulAN

Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:00 am

Ouch! That's gotta hurt. But completely agree - the regulations and 'recommendations' exist for this very reason. I feel for the crew - on a recent TG flight we hit moderate turbulence during a drink run - they were leaning on seats whilst pouring water all over the place - dedication!

Hope they change the cover on the blood seat...  

Mortyman

Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:19 am

I remember I was on a flight with Thai Airways some years back, between Bangkok and Copenhagen and there was a lot of turbulence. One of the stewardess was knocked of her feet and the serving cart got shaken up so that alot of it's content went on the floor. That was a 747.

jumpjets

Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:41 am

I cant help feeling the 'blood soaked' seat might actually be a red wine soaked seat.

To me It looks too purplish in colour and way too much coverage for a cut to the head - unless the victim then rolled around in his/her seat after the incident

Don't get me wrong I am not disputing that someone was hurt - just that journalistic licence may have got in the way of the strict facts/

[Edited 2016-04-14 04:42:29]

UALWN

Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:32 pm

Sometimes turbulence is unexpected and sudden, and people are just going to/from the lavatories or the galley, and there's nothing one can do about it.

Probably, the worst turbulence I have ever experienced was in summer 2008, over the Alps, in a JNB-MUC flight on an SA A343 (or was it an A342?). Anyway, the captain told us that we would have to go through a cumulonimbus cloud and it would be pretty intense for a couple of minutes, and to strap up. But my daughter was in the lavatory at the time, and, well, she couldn't go back to her seat just like that. So we did go through some very nasty turbulence with my daughter not on her seat. Eventually, after the event, she came back and told me that she was retuning to her seat when the turbulence started and an FA commanded her to drop to the floor and lay down there, which she did. Fortunately, she wasn't hurt, but she was pretty shaken (emotionally and literally!). And it was none of her fault.
AT7/111/146/Avro/CRJ/CR9/EMB/ERJ/E75/F50/100/L15/DC9/D10/M8X/717/727/737/747/757/767/777/787/AB6/310/32X/330/340/350/380

KLMA330

Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:21 pm

I always have my seatbelt fastened and tight at that.

when I was a teen, I was travelling on a KLM 747 from N America to Amsterdam.

Quiet night flight, smooth as could be and then BAM! the whole plane hit some kind of pocket and went down and slam.

Needless to say, it was chaotic and scary. lights came on, people were freaking out...

Every time I recall the experience to this day, my knees go weak cause I remember the fear I and likely everyone felt.

and then we had 2 more dreaded hours to Amsterdam LOL

Planes are so pretty when I look at them from the ground. Much prefer to spot them than fly them LOL

avi8tir

Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:23 pm

I flew ANA NRT-IAH 2 weeks ago and experienced some of the worst turbulence I have have ever been through. That was the ONLY time the seat belt sign was actually on besides take off and landing.

There would be a message that would pop up on the screen reminding everyone to keep their seatbelts fastened, but the actual seatbelt sign would never actually come on.

I was amazed. However, I can't stand US carriers that turn the seatbelt sign on at the first hint of a bump and often require the cabin crew to sit as well.
*Long live the Widget*

ozark1

Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:45 pm

Quoting qf789 (Thread starter):
Once again this highlights why seatbelts need to be worn at all times

They could not care less about the sign. The only way to prevent it is to be able to push a button and literally lock everyone in their seats, but that is a humorous take on the problem.

Quoting avi8tir (Reply 7):

I flew ANA NRT-IAH 2 weeks ago and experienced some of the worst turbulence I have have ever been through. That was the ONLY time the seat belt sign was actually on besides take off and landing.

There would be a message that would pop up on the screen reminding everyone to keep their seatbelts fastened, but the actual seatbelt sign would never actually come on.

I was amazed. However, I can't stand US carriers that turn the seatbelt sign on at the first hint of a bump and often require the cabin crew to sit as well.

A screen pop up would have minimal effect, but the language speaker making an emphatic PA might,
I am perplexed at your irritation of erring on the side of caution that US carriers take. Pilots rely a lot on PIREPS, so if someone up ahead has reported something, and then the plane experiences it, seatbelt comes on and crew sits down if it gets pretty bad. Plus, I have had some pilots let it get pretty rough before it comes on and others who, per your complaint, turn it on prior to even a bump. I guess I don't understand why, on any flight , and because of what happened to you, you would object to any decision regarding turbulence

smi0006

Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:00 am

I still find it strange airlines let their crew move about when the sign on is for pax. I'm surprised a lawsuits hasn't ensued for crew being injured when passengers have to sit. It also results in passengers walking around and discarding the seatbelt sign when it's on.

QF require crew to be seated whenever the sign is on, do any other carriers require this?

aviateur

Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:26 am

I'm the "Cockpit Confidential" author quoted in that story.

For the record, I was not contacted by news.com.au to comment on this incident. The quote they used was from an EARLIER article that I contributed to, discussing turbulence in general.

The Thai Airways encounter involved unusually severe turbulence, and they should not have used that same quote.

Had I been contacted to speak about this incident in particular, I would have highlighted the fact that most turbulence-related injuries occur because passengers do not have their seat belts on when they're supposed to.

Climate change. We will likely be seeing more of this.

-- PS
Patrick Smith is an airline pilot, air travel columnist and author

Viscount724

Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:53 am

While on the subject, item in Transport Canada occurence reports a few days ago. Good example of the benefits of keeping your seatbelt fastened, especially when instructed to do so.

UPDATE: TSB#A16A0037: C-GITY, an Air Canada Airbus A321-200, was operating as flight ACA696 from Toronto, ON (CYYZ) to St. John’s, NL (CYYT). In cruise, about 60 nautical miles north of Charlottetown, PE (CYYG), severe turbulence was encountered for about 2 minutes at FL290. The crew reported a loss of 500 feet and 20 knots before the autopilot was disconnected and manual control of the aircraft was regained. The seatbelt sign was ON prior to the encounter, so passengers and crew were seated and there were no injuries. The aircraft continued to its destination without further incident. Subsequent ground inspection confirmed that there was no damage.

spartanmjf

Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:03 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 11):
Had I been contacted to speak about this incident in particular, I would have highlighted the fact that most turbulence-related injuries occur because passengers do not have their seat belts on when they're supposed to.

This is fact.

This is political monologue and conjecture.
"Nuts to the man in 21D!"

Viscount724

Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:40 am

Quoting spartanmjf (Reply 12):

This is fact.

This is political monologue and conjecture.

Neither of those quotes are mine.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos