Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

joeljack
Topic Author

OMA-SFO Nonstop United Starts Sept 8

Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:36 pm

http://m.omaha.com/money/united-to-o...e6-8b4f-7b9a15c6be65.html?mode=jqm

I've been waiting for this for almost 15 years!!! Looks like with AA and WN adding LAX, AS now flying to SEA and PDX, allegiant to OAK in the summer; United wanted to get into the Omaha to us west coast game! Amazing that 2 years ago there was zero nonstop to the west coast from Omaha...this just blows my mind!!

Either was as a UA flyer living in DSM this is amazing!! (Oma is only an hr and 45 minutes from my house in wdm)

psa1011

RE: OMA-SFO Nonstop United Starts Sept 8

Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:48 pm

Good news. And maybe the westbound timing is meant to connect to Asia flights?

jetblastdubai

Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:03 pm

Long overdue indeed. OMA is now connected non-stop to 5 UA hubs. 1-stop thru SFO to every Asian and South Pacific destination (except for GUM) plus every Hawaiian market makes this trip a huge winner for a big swath of the midwest.

United1

Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:05 pm

Quoting psa1011 (Reply 1):
Good news. And maybe the westbound timing is meant to connect to Asia flights?

The OMA-SFO flight gets in just before 0900 so perfectly timed to connect to Asia...
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

psa1011

Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:08 pm

Quoting United1 (Reply 3):

I find this interesting only because the new BNA-SFO leg will take place in the evening. Guess this makes sense geographically since people in BNA can connect over other UA hubs to Asia.

UALFAson

Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:18 pm

Quoting psa1011 (Reply 4):
Guess this makes sense geographically since people in BNA can connect over other UA hubs to Asia.

I'm guessing OMA is about the same distance to ORD as BNA is, although BNA is obviously closer to the EWR hub and the Asia nonstops there.

What are Omaha's Asian ties that would make UA 1) even start this flight in the face of so much new OMA-West Coast competition and 2) have it arrive early morning at a time when gate space is at a premium?
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

32andBelow

Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:32 pm

Quoting UALFAson (Reply 5):
What are Omaha's Asian ties that would make UA 1) even start this flight in the face of so much new OMA-West Coast competition and 2) have it arrive early morning at a time when gate space is at a premium?

Well it could just be replacing an RON aircraft that would have been sitting on a gate until 10AM or so for it's first departure otherwise.

dc-9-10

Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:00 pm

Quoting UALFAson (Reply 5):

This flight is less about any Asian ties for OMA (for the major Asian destinations, ORD does a better/just as good of a job), rather this flight is trying to tap into the tech demand between the two cities. For example, OMA has large data centers for both Google and Yahoo, PayPal has a large operation in the area, and, like many cities across the country, there is a bourgeoning tech scene in the OMA metro. Add on top of that any Silicon Valley and Bay Area needs for the companies based in Omaha and one can see this flight is long overdue.

With only 76 seats each way it is not like UA is diving into the deep end, and I can see UA demanding a nice non-stop premium, leaving little room for connections that are better served by DEN or ORD.

MaxxFlyer

Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:41 pm

Quoting psa1011 (Reply 4):

I find this interesting only because the new BNA-SFO leg will take place in the evening. Guess this makes sense geographically since people in BNA can connect over other UA hubs to Asia.

This I found curious also. Perhaps if it works it'll get retimed. UA isn't exactly people's favorite airline here. I know my company routes Asia traffic via ORD on AA, sometimes LAX.

jetblastdubai

Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:52 pm

Quoting dc-9-10 (Reply 7):
For example, OMA has large data centers for both Google and Yahoo, PayPal has a large operation in the area, and, like many cities across the country, there is a bourgeoning tech scene in the OMA metro. Add on top of that any Silicon Valley and Bay Area needs for the companies based in Omaha and one can see this flight is long overdue.

"Omaha has long taken pride in its “fab five,'' the five Fortune 500 companies that call the humble plains city home: Berkshire Hathaway, ConAgra Foods, Union Pacific, Peter Kiewit Sons' and Mutual of Omaha.

Omaha is home to more Fortune 500 companies per capita than any major metro area in the nation. Using a narrower definition of a metro area, Omaha ranks no worse than third. It trails only Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, Conn., the affluent burbs in the shadow of New York City, and San Jose, Calif., the heart of Silicon Valley."

http://www.omaha.com/money/omaha-s-f...5-f03a-5ebc-b7ce-74688dd35ecc.html

Omaha has a pretty impressive line-up of sporting events as well. http://www.visitomaha.com/things-to-do/spectator-sports/

3% unemployment and a very favorable cost-of-living ranking helps attract business.

jetsetter629

Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:46 pm

Quoting jetblastdubai (Reply 9):
Fortune 500 companies that call the humble plains city home: Berkshire Hathaway, ConAgra Foods, Union Pacific, Peter Kiewit Sons' and Mutual of Omaha

ConAgra no more - they are moving to Chicago!

ramprat74

Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:49 pm

Too bad they outsourced my United co-workers in OMA. The new vendor is a joke! I work with three guys that were furloughed from there.

S75752

Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:43 pm

A shame that they are trying to time it for Asia connections (I'm not convinced that OMA would have much interest to SFO's exclusive secondary asia connections, and that this may alienate O&D from SFO), but an awesome add regardless!

CIDFlyer

Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:52 pm

good news for OMA and long overdue on UA's part. Traditionally UA has been a strong player in the OMA market, but lately DL has been strong there not to mention AA with merger with US. Quite an impressive lineup of flights emerging from there. Isn't the AS flight to SEA going to mainline at some point soon?

Rdh3e

Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:39 am

Seems to be set up for OMA based passengers, hopefully it works out for them, the Midwest is booming right now and can use the service.

dc10lover

Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:07 am

What aircraft will they use? CRJ?
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

United1

Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:25 am

Quoting dc10lover (Reply 15):
What aircraft will they use? CRJ?

E175
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

knope2001

Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:26 am

Omaha had a SFO nonstop through the 70's until about 1984 -- as well as LAX, SEA and PDX. The SEA/PDX flights were fostered by regulation and went away pretty much as soon as Eastern could fly there without stopping in OMA and/or STL. But LAX and SFO nonstops were mostly local -- in some cases there may have been a tag like SFO-OMA-DSM or LAX-OMA-MLI. But it's not like they flew ORD-OMA-SFO because United didn't have rights to fly nonstop. It always puzzled me how much west coast service Omaha had in the 70's and early 80's and how difficult it has been for them to have it in the 2000's and beyond. Maybe SAN will come some day as well -- perhaps an AS E75.

scutfarcus

Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:31 am

Good stuff. Curious if this increases the likelihood of a UA nonstop from SFO to MKE. Seems like a much bigger market, but maybe proximity to ORD skunks the works?

S75752

Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:13 am

Quoting scutfarcus (Reply 18):
Good stuff. Curious if this increases the likelihood of a UA nonstop from SFO to MKE. Seems like a much bigger market, but maybe proximity to ORD skunks the works?

Proximity doesn't help, + longer distance that would make it difficult for a CRJ (I believe that it's longer than the current longest 700 route) or an EJ. But, southwest does it with a 737, so maybe it's not entirely outside of the mainline possibility.

bjorn14

Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:38 pm

Quoting S75752 (Reply 19):

MKE-SFO is 1,845 GC miles which is way out of reach for a current E175. A E175E2 should be able to make it but that would have to wait til 2020.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein