Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kaitak
Topic Author

Easy Monarch?

Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:07 pm

Looks like Easyjet is trying to acquire Monarch:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/easyjet-ann...dget-airline-rival-monarch-1555285

It makes a lot of sense; its current owners are trying to sell it; both airlines operate Airbus narrowbodies (although Monarch's 737Max order would be at risk), both are well established at LGW and MAN and this would give EZY a foothold in Birmingham.

GE9X

RE: Easy Monarch?

Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:30 pm

"and a £20m payment for defunct airline Flybe's Gatwick 'slots' in 2013."

Defunct?

[email protected]

Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:32 pm

Would certainly increase EZY's presence at LGW, assuming it didn't have to divest slots there.

At the moment EZY has 44% of LGW's seats and 47% of its frequencies.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

richardw

Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:43 pm

Would there be enough room for the Monarch operation at LGW's North Terminal if easyJet acquired them?

Gazdon121

Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:47 pm

Quoting richardw (Reply 3):

BA are moving to the south terminal so there should be

MrHMSH

Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:49 pm

I can't say I'm truly shocked, and it does make some sense, it would open up a few new bases for U2 is they maintain ZB's operation (BHX just as example, as you say above). I suspect the MAX order would go, and it wouldn't shock me much further if the A321s were let go over a period of time.

richardw

Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:03 pm

Yes BA are moving South, but would that leave enough gates for all of Monarch and easyJet's South Terminal operation to move North, not sure if Thomson would need to move South.

[Edited 2016-04-17 11:11:41]

CPH-R

Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:04 pm

IIRC the last time this came up, it was also mentioned that it would allow U2 some room to grow at LTN.

bennett123

Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:07 pm

If they bought MON, surely of Monarch's existing facilities could also be acquired.

kaitak
Topic Author

Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:23 pm

Quoting Gazdon121 (Reply 4):
BA are moving to the south terminal so there should be

I had heard this, but when is it happening?

richardw

Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:29 pm

Quoting kaitak (Reply 9):

It's been put back from end of October to end of January 17.

eurowings

Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:29 pm

easyJet would acquire peak time slots and room to grow at places like LGW, LTN and MAN, they'd eliminate a competitor at those airports too, and gain more of a presence in BHX, EMA (again!) and LBA. I suspect the market would not suffer too much from the loss of competition, with Norwegian and Vueling opening up routes to key leisure markets from UK airports.

I don't think Monarch offer charter flight programmes anymore? All the flights are scheduled, at least nominally.

From an aviation enthusiast's point of view, it would be a shame to lose the Monarch brand as it's the oldest airline brand in the UK. I have fond (?) memories of Monarch charters to Spain, they were fun if not punctual or comfortable   . The airline still has a reputation for quality (more so than Ryanair or easyJet) among leisure flyers and the British community in Spain, probably earned during the 'Crown Service' years and not really reflective of the onboard product today.
"Freddie Laker may be at peace with his Maker, but he is persona non grata with IATA."- HRH Duke of Edinburgh

richardw

Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:36 pm

Monarch gave us the A300 opportunities as well.

bennett123

Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:40 pm

What level of domination at LTN would the combined carrier have?.

[email protected]

Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:51 pm

In terms of seats, EZY presently has 40.8% and Monarch 3.7%. In the height of the summer season, EZY's reduces to around 36% and MON's increases to 6%. So without any cutting, you're talking 42-45%.

Source: OAG.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

f4f3a

Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:53 pm

Easyjet I think will naturally move to a321 anyway so I imagine monarchs older ones will just be phased out will new deliveries.

eurowings

Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:00 pm

Quoting richardw (Reply 12):
Monarch gave us the A300 opportunities as well.

Yes, the chance to fly an A300 up to just a few years ago was a real treat.

Quoting f4f3a (Reply 15):

Easyjet I think will naturally move to a321 anyway so I imagine monarchs older ones will just be phased out will new deliveries.

I think the A321 would be the next step for easy, just as Wizz has opted for it.
"Freddie Laker may be at peace with his Maker, but he is persona non grata with IATA."- HRH Duke of Edinburgh

[email protected]

Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:03 pm

Quoting f4f3a (Reply 15):

All of MON's 33 aircraft, both 320s and 321s, are leased by MON anyway.

OA260

Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:12 pm

Quoting eurowings (Reply 11):

From an aviation enthusiast's point of view, it would be a shame to lose the Monarch brand as it's the oldest airline brand in the UK. I have fond (?) memories of Monarch charters to Spain, they were fun if not punctual or comfortable

Me too it would be sad to see yet another British airline confined to history. Flew them DUB-REU on the A300 charters years ago and was a great experience.

TurnaroudUK

Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:21 pm

Just praying on LS to make a counter bid as I reckon they would try and keep the monarch brand rather than just swallow it up into U2   

YVRLTN

Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:31 pm

This does make a lot of sense from every angle you look at it. Im sure U2 would prefer not to have the HNA Group expanding and strengthening a rival at their home base.

I suppose MAEL would remain independent in such a move, a bit like SR Technics.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 18):
Me too it would be sad to see yet another British airline confined to history

+3. I too have fond memories of ZB, not only spotting at LTN as a kid, but the first flight I really remember - a 757 routing STN - BGR - BGI, quite the adventure for a 9 year old!

However, more importantly, it seems that ZB are perennially looking over their shoulder for survival, if this saves the jobs of the ZB staff then that is a good thing. Sharing some space at crammed HQ LTN can also only be a good thing for the airport too.

Quoting kaitak (Thread starter):
(although Monarch's 737Max order would be at risk)

Maybe they could talk to Alaska for a little swapsy deal for the VX Airbus slots  
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

f4f3a

Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:36 pm

Flew on a300 to Corfu couple years back excellent experience I have to say.
One thing that would really benefit easyjet is monarch engineering which they have used a lot in the past.
I do think it would be a shame to lose the historic brand.
Maybe they could use it and drop the orange and save those brand payments to stelios haha.
Easy have been in rumours in talks with air Berlin as well. I guess they are looking for growth through acquisitions. Although with expansion they have planned the crew and training might be useful for them

SCQ83

Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:39 pm

That makes a lot of sense to me. Norwegian, Vueling, BA and Ryanair are expanding quite aggressively in London and the rest of England and putting more pressure in markets where easyJet used to be at ease.

I wonder if Monarch's recent expansion in more "urban" markets has something to do with this ( was Monarch preparing itself to be purchased by U2?). For instance, they are adding this summer the likes of BHX-MAD or MAN-LIS which are way more "easyJet routes" than traditional Monarch routes of beach and sun.

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 14):
In terms of seats, EZY presently has 40.8% and Monarch 3.7%. In the height of the summer season, EZY's reduces to around 36% and MON's increases to 6%. So without any cutting, you're talking 42-45%.

It would be interesting to see which airports have now more Monarch than easyJet flights, and which destinations would be added to the easyJet portfolio (if they keep all the current destinations; I can think of Eilat). For instance, to GIB, easyJet has three destinations and Monarch (which is the leading carrier in terms of passengers) four. With easyJet+Monarch, the "new" easyJet would have up to 5 destinations from GIB (BHX, BRS, LGW, LTN, MAN) and would be by far the leading carrier there.

GCT64

Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:50 pm

It looks more likely than not that the Monarch brand will be going, unless the acquirer is private equity or HNA group (or Etihad!   ). Certainly it will disappear in an EZY takeover. If/when that happens it will be a sad day for enthusiasts in the UK.

Good memories for me as my first ever flight was in a Monarch 720B LTN-ATH (old) in 1979
Flown in: A20N,A21N,A30B,A306,A310,A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A346,A359,A388,BA11,BU31,(..56 more types..),VC10,WESX

f4f3a

Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:59 pm

Perhaps easy should swap 737 order for a 787 and use monarch for a long haul subsidiary

LHRFlyer

Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:18 pm

There seems to be a lot of speculation about Monarch at the moment. I can't help but wonder how much is the work of investment bankers trying to drum up interest.

BHXLOVER

Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:47 pm

I too have good memories of travelling with ZB, but as has been said, they do seem to struggle to be profitable. At least this would keep a lot of folks in their jobs.

This would give U2 a big presence at BHX, where at present they only serve Belfast Int. I think ZB have now pulled out of EMA.

eurowings

Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:52 pm

Quoting BHXLOVER (Reply 26):

This would give U2 a big presence at BHX, where at present they only serve Belfast Int.
U2 also have seasonal services to Geneva and Grenoble from BHX, the former is increasing in frequency this coming winter  

[Edited 2016-04-17 13:53:06]

gilesdavies

Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:27 pm

I think easyJet have little to no choice but to make an attempt to take over easyJet, if they don't want to see the competition, encroach on their markets further! I have read in numerous articles that the likes of IAG and Norwegian are also interested in taking them over.

It would be easyJets worst nightmare to see the likes of Norwegian gain enought slots at LGW to base a further 10 aircraft there, and also move into the likes of LTN and MAN.

If IAG took over, we could possibly see bases like LGW gain more BA slots for long haul routes and use LTN and BHX slots for a new Vueling base.

I wonder if their will be some monopoly issues at several UK airports if Monarch are taken over by easyJet, and might be forced to give slots to other airlines?! For example at Luton, both airlines compete on many of the same routes, like to Spain, Turkey, the Greek Islands and Israel.

Im not sure easyJet would have an interest in the 30+ 737-8max aircraft on order, and either easyJet or Greybull would have to pay a significant cancellation fee to Boeing. Where Norwegian could absorb the aircraft in there exisiting fleet. Greybull will only be interesting in selling to the highest bidder!

On the positive for easyJet, it would immediately give them a HQ building at Luton Airport (where Monarch are also based), where they are outgrowing Hangar 89 and crying out for new office space within the airport.

Quoting bennett123 (Reply 13):
What level of domination at LTN would the combined carrier have?.

easyJet base about 20 aircraft at Luton at present and Monarch about 5, so you potentially are looking at around an 25% incraase in slots and aircrafts for easyJet if they decide to utilise them all at the airport.

Luton is currently undergoing a massive expansion to increase numbers from 12 to 18 million by 2018, but right now it is difficult for easyJet to expand further at the base. With peak time runway slots and apron space very limited, until the full pararell taxiway and new aprion space comes into use, in the next 1-2 years.

But easyJet have already comitted to growing at Luton, in the coming years and each summer for the forseeable future are adding 1-2 additional aircraft to the base.

The airline is by far the biggest user of the airport. Ryanair base around 5 aircraft at Luton and Thomson 3-4, along with easy and Monarch mentioned above. Wizzair are the second largest user of the airport, but do not have a base and during the summer months night stop 1-2 aircraft.

By giving easyJet an additional five aircraft at LTN to play with, this will also ensure it re-enforces, there presence at turn the airport into a sort of fortress for them. Especially as Vueling and Transavia are nipping at their heels, starting new routes to Paris, Amsterdam, Zurich, Florence and Rome this summer. and going head to head with easyJet.

[Edited 2016-04-17 14:43:37]

GSTBA

Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:28 pm

There has been a few articles out about Monarch in recent days. One airline that hasn't been mentioned is the Spanish budget airline Vueling might be interested?. VY currently operate a fleet of A319/A320 and A321 aircraft making it easy for them to be added to there fleet. It would also give VY opportunity to grow further at LGW and up the competition with Easyjet.

Does anyone know how easy it is for airlines to get slots at LGW?. Could a merger result in EZY being told that they have to give up some slots ?

[Edited 2016-04-17 14:42:43]

YVRLTN

Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:43 pm

Quoting GSTBA (Reply 29):
The Spanish budget airline, could that be Vueling?

That = IAG. It would be uncharacteristic of them to want some LCC/P2P out of the UK regions. That leaves Volotea and UX if they are classed as budget. Seems a very unlikely option anyway.

Quoting gilesdavies (Reply 28):
For example at Luton, both airlines compete on many of the same routes, like to Spain, Turkey, the Greek Islands and Israel.

Good for U2, eliminate competition and use the slots, crew & aircraft for growth or expansion elsewhere.

Quoting TurnaroudUK (Reply 19):
Just praying on LS to make a counter bid

Never happen, LS themselves have to be on the radar to be gobbled up as someones dinner.

eurowings

Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:54 pm

Quoting GSTBA (Reply 29):
There is a paragraph in the article that states "City sources said Monarch has looked at Air Berlin, TuiFly, and Thomas Cook Airlines, as well as a budget airline in Spain, as possible bid targets."

Certainly seems like an effort to stir up interest. I don't see Air Berlin putting in a bid that's for sure! The big leisure groups TUI and Thomas Cook, maybe, but I'm not convinced they need the extra capacity from what is an exclusively short-haul LCC these days.

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 30):
Never happen, LS themselves have to be on the radar to be gobbled up as someones dinner.

I'm not so sure. Jet2 has really carved a niche for itself as more of a tour operator, they have a big operation in the summer season. The synergy is there; two very leisure orientated carriers, one very strong in Northern England/Scotland/Northern Ireland and the other in the Midlands/South East. Can the owners Dart Group afford to acquire Monarch?

GSTBA

Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:56 pm

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 30):
That = IAG. It would be uncharacteristic of them to want some LCC/P2P out of the UK regions.

Why, in addition to there flights from LHR and LGW VY already plan to operate the following routes from UK regional airports this summer.

BHD to BCN
BHX to ALC, BCN and TFS
CWL to ALC, BCN, AGP and PMI
EDI to ALC, BCN, FCO and ORY
LPL to BCN
LBA to BCN
LTN to AMS, BCN, FLR and ZRH
MAN to ALC, BCN, FCO and TFS
NCL to BCN

OA260

Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:05 pm

Quoting GSTBA (Reply 32):
BHD to BCN

Axed.

YVRLTN

Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:57 pm

Quoting GSTBA (Reply 32):
Why

Because they have VY to cover any expansion of the UK regions to leisure destinations if they want to, they dont need another UK based VY. BA purposely got out of the regions and it now seems it is IAG's plan to use VY and EI to cover that market. I dont see what acquiring ZB would bring to the table other than stopping U2 growth, which will primarily only really hurt IAG at their BA LGW base.

Quoting eurowings (Reply 31):
Can the owners Dart Group afford to acquire Monarch?

I dont know much about them any more. They have committed to spending money on brand new metal which is a huge step for them, so seems too much to take on at once.

LHRFlyer

Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:06 am

I don't think IAG would be interested in Monarch. There just isn't the strategic Imperative. The slot portfolio is potentially useful but not of enough value to merit buying the airline.

GCT64

Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:50 am

I have read in numerous articles that the likes of IAG and Norwegian are also interested in taking them over.
It would be easyJets worst nightmare to see the likes of Norwegian gain enought slots at LGW to base a further 10 aircraft there, and also move into the likes of LTN and MAN.

I doubt EZY would be worried by Norwegian - EZY are financially much stronger than Norwegian, and by a huge margin. I am pretty sure EZY will win any battle for market share. The financially very strong IAG Is another matter, and EZY must already be nervous about VY's expansion into core EZY territory (e.g. nothing is much more core than LTN-AMS for EZY).

I wonder if their will be some monopoly issues at several UK airports if Monarch are taken over by easyJet, and might be forced to give slots to other airlines?! For example at Luton, both airlines compete on many of the same routes, like to Spain, Turkey, the Greek Islands and Israel.

I don't think there will be any monopoly / compeition issues at LTN or LGW as I am pretty sure the UK and EU authorities will regard LON as a whole rather than look at individual airports (look at the remedies for the EI takeover by IAG).
Flown in: A20N,A21N,A30B,A306,A310,A319,A320,A321,A332,A333,A343,A346,A359,A388,BA11,BU31,(..56 more types..),VC10,WESX

Andy33

Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:05 pm

Luton suffers from a shortage of overnight parking for aircraft, not particularly takeoff and landing slots. Wizzair, for example, has had no problem building up a large operation at LTN using aircraft based at other places on its network.
In the event that easyJet succeeded in taking Monarch, if the competition authorities didn't regard all six London airports as an entity for assessing market dominance, I'm sure this would be pointed out forcefully.

eurowings

Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:28 pm

Quoting gct64 (Reply 36):
I doubt EZY would be worried by Norwegian - EZY are financially much stronger than Norwegian, and by a huge margin. I am pretty sure EZY will win any battle for market share.

Despite opinions that they could never achieve it, Norwegian has still managed to build up an impressive market share at LGW as the third largest carrier after EZY and BA, including on key EZY markets from LGW like AGP, BCN, BUD and SXF. They've also quietly built up a presence at BHX and EDI in the past year, and are now going for non-Scandinavian markets from MAN. Looking at their route profile, I suspect they've been targeting Monarch as a weaker carrier.

Quoting gct64 (Reply 36):
The financially very strong IAG Is another matter, and EZY must already be nervous about VY's expansion into core EZY territory (e.g. nothing is much more core than LTN-AMS for EZY).

LTN will be interesting, but I'd argue the new friendly Ryanair is just as challenging as Vueling. Ryanair have been flooding the LTN-CPH market with seats, a lot more aggressively than Vueling on LTN-AMS.

BlueShamu330s

Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:42 pm

Quoting TurnaroudUK (Reply 19):
Just praying on LS to make a counter bid as I reckon they would try and keep the monarch brand rather than just swallow it up into U2

Why would one established brand with a well known identity take on a rival and maintain two brands?

Not going to happen; especially not with jet2.
Flying around India

richardw

Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:53 pm

Jet2 is not a well known brand in the south of England and the south midlands, The Monarch brand is stronger in these areas of England.

gilesdavies

Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:54 pm

Quoting Andy33 (Reply 37):
Luton suffers from a shortage of overnight parking for aircraft, not particularly takeoff and landing slots. Wizzair, for example, has had no problem building up a large operation at LTN using aircraft based at other places on its network.

Very True, but the runway is currently at or nearing capacity during the coming summer, early mornings from 6 till 8.30am and at certain times in the evening.

The runway is limited to 32 movements (departing and arriving) an hour to allow for backtracking down to end. When you have around 40 airliners based at the airport and all wanting to depart first thing in the morning, plus the countless business jets this is going to cause issues.

With regards to WIzzair they have around 14-16 arrivals between 6.50 and 8am, these are all turnaround in 25 mins and back on their way, so this is gets caught up in the airports own based aircraft still departing on their first flights fro the day.

When you look at Departures and Arrivals today, there were 38 departures and 28 arrivals between 6am and 8.30am, this did not include any early morning departures by Monarch or Thomson this will add around 9 extra flights this summer in the morning, then add to the mix this summer Vueling and Transavia are introducing peak time flights. Then all the business jet flights you can't see on the boards.

Think that gives an idea to the runways congestion and hence why easyJet are struggling to grow at LTN, once the full parallel taxiway comes onlie, this will dramatically improve things!

[Edited 2016-04-18 05:55:18]

SCQ83

Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:00 pm

Quoting gct64 (Reply 23):
Jet2 is not a well known brand in the south of England and the south midlands, The Monarch brand is stronger in these areas of England.

Problem is no one knows Monarch outside the UK, but easyJet is widely known all over Europe. A no brainer to let Monarch go.

dhr

Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:08 pm

If it does happen, it'll be a shame to see another icon disappear from the UK skies. I doubt they would keep the brand.

richardw

Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:08 pm

Yes let the Monarch brand go if easyJet buys it, maybe not if Jet2 buys it.

dhr

Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:14 pm

Looks like there will be a bidding process for Monarch with more airlines suddenly added to the list of possible suitors. The latest being HNA Group from China who will no doubt have to partner with someone else because of the limitations on foreign ownership.

Boeing74741R

Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:51 pm

Quoting richardw (Reply 44):

But why would Jet2 want to keep the Monarch brand?

richardw

Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:01 pm

Quoting Boeing74741R (Reply 46):

Jet2 is an EMA and north of airline, it's brand recognition around BHX and south of is poor, Monarch is much stronger here.

Monarch has some very loyal customers from LTN and LGW flying to Spain and its Islands, in the short term Jet2 would be foolish to drop the Monarch brand.

[Edited 2016-04-18 11:02:02]

YVRLTN

Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:21 pm

Quoting eurowings (Reply 38):
Despite opinions that they could never achieve it, Norwegian has still managed to build up an impressive market share at LGW as the third largest carrier after EZY and BA, including on key EZY markets from LGW like AGP, BCN, BUD and SXF. They've also quietly built up a presence at BHX and EDI in the past year, and are now going for non-Scandinavian markets from MAN. Looking at their route profile, I suspect they've been targeting Monarch as a weaker carrier.

If ZB are flirting themselves on the market as for sale, then DY would be a good suitor IMO for exactly the reasons you mention. It would automatically give DY a huge leg up in the UK market in competing with U2. I can see that U2 would be very interested in snapping up ZB themselves to make sure exactly something like this does not happen. Imagine DY at LTN...

LTenEleven

Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:54 pm

I would not be surprised to see Ryanair show interest. It would be a huge opportunity to grow operations at LTN and LGW. They also have the experience of integrating Buzz and more recently showed the desire to takeover Aer Lingus.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos