Q

RE: Delta LAX Terminal Plans Revealed

Sun May 22, 2016 1:10 am

Delta forgot all about Boeing 777 to SYD. Load are heavy and almost full of fuel tanks. Delta can't use runway 6L/R-24L/R due lack of length runway. Delta 777 must use runway 7L-25R for long take off rolls. It is waste of fuel long way taxi to 25R. Bumper!    It may takes money throwing fuel waste taxi in one year approx $50,000 a year for nothing!

Q

United1

Sun May 22, 2016 1:53 am

Quoting jfk777 (Reply 99):
757 to LHR is a United thing from Newark.

UA doesn't fly 757s between EWR and LHR any longer and hasn't for some time....but I am confused what does any of this have to do with DL at LAX?
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

questions

Sun May 22, 2016 2:03 am

BACK TO DELTA AT LAX...

We haven't seen plans yet. However it doesn't look like there will be any major demolition and rebuild, or even a complete gutting and rebuild like SFO T2, given operations continuing in T2 and T3.

Other than three years of travelers encountering construction mess, what can be reasonably expected from a remodel? Will this project end up being similar to LGA?

questions

Sun May 22, 2016 2:08 am

Quoting Q (Reply 100):
Delta forgot all about Boeing 777 to SYD. Load are heavy and almost full of fuel tanks. Delta can't use runway 6L/R-24L/R due lack of length runway. Delta 777 must use runway 7L-25R for long take off rolls. It is waste of fuel long way taxi to 25R. Bumper! It may takes money throwing fuel waste taxi in one year approx $50,000 a year for nothing!

Delta will have access to and could use TBIT for flights to SYD. It would be a much better passenger experience. Connecting passengers may be a little inconvenienced but I've never had a problem connecting VA/DL at LAX.

jfk777

Sun May 22, 2016 2:09 am

Quoting United1 (Reply 101):
UA doesn't fly 757s between EWR and LHR any longer and hasn't for some time....but I am confused what does any of this have to do with DL at LAX?

Nothing see # 96.

zkncj

Sun May 22, 2016 4:11 am

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 23):
QR refused to operate from TBIT the first time around, and nothing has changed since then. QR want their own lounge and has secured space for it at T2 (the old NZ lounge?) but there is no space at all for another lounge at TBIT. The situation with the Maple Leaf Lounge is only temporary.

NZ had the same issue - they wouldn't move unless that got given there own lounge space in TBIT. Look what happened there, they got the contract to run the *A Lounge at TBIT.

gaystudpilot

Sun May 22, 2016 5:18 pm

Quoting questions (Reply 102):
We haven't seen plans yet. However it doesn't look like there will be any major demolition and rebuild, or even a complete gutting and rebuild like SFO T2, given operations continuing in T2 and T3.

Other than three years of travelers encountering construction mess, what can be reasonably expected from a remodel? Will this project end up being similar to LGA?

As you have acknowledged, we haven't seen Delta's plans. Given the number of gates Delta currently has in T5 and T6; the number of gates in T2 and T3 and what DL may have access to in TBIT; the use of T2 gates by other non-US airlines; and the relocation and renovation timelines I think it's safe to assume that neither T2 nor T3 will be demolished or gutted as part of a rebuild.

We can probably expect an airside T2-T3 connector and a T3-TBIT connector with perhaps an additional gate or two. Other renovations will be more like what DL has done with LAX T5 (check-in lobby, Delta One check-in lounge, bathrooms, refurbished Sky Club); LGA (connector, upgraded food and beverage options, remodeled Sky Club, paint and carpet); and JFK T2 (upgraded food and beverage options, remodeled Sky Club, paint and carpet). Interestingly, LAX T3 and JFK T2 opened in 1961 and 1962, respectively.

Delta has a lot of experience with utilizing decades old aircraft while upgrading the onboard customer experience. The same can be said for several of its terminals at various airports. So your expectations should be set on "this place cleaned up nicely" vs. "Wow, this sets the standard for terminal design!"

But who knows? We could all be surprised by the final plans Delta announces.

RyanairGuru

Sun May 22, 2016 10:07 pm

Quoting zkncj (Reply 105):

But they were able to secure that lounge as part of the TBIT expansion which created space for the NZ/*A lounge. There is literally no room for another lounge at TBIT.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

LAXintl
Topic Author

Sun May 22, 2016 11:49 pm

Ref TBIT airline lounges.

Per the suggestion of tenants, the terminal was designed with room for 6 large club lounge, replacing the almost 20 mostly small individual lounges at the older TBIT facility.

Besides the 3 alliances lounges, an unaligned 'Los Angeles International' club is operated by a vendor, while two other spaces were available to airlines to lease out directly. Emirates jumped on the first one, and later Etihad opted to lease the second space. The EY lounge is scheduled for completion in August.

The future Midfield Satellite Concourse (MSC) also will have space for additional airline clubs.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

LAX772LR

Mon May 23, 2016 6:51 am

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 93):
There are no airports in the world beyond LAX and JFK that have a "terminal city" collection of up to 10 terminals.

No one other than you, claimed such in terms of number of terminals. We do however see the tenets of that design (maximizing roadside access to terminal facade) in airports all over the country and world.

Quoting Q (Reply 100):
Delta forgot all about Boeing 777 to SYD. Load are heavy and almost full of fuel tanks. Delta can't use runway 6L/R-24L/R due lack of length runway. Delta 777 must use runway 7L-25R for long take off rolls. It is waste of fuel long way taxi to 25R.

None of which is accurate nor true.

I've seen DL's LAX-SYD go off of 24L. NZ's LAX-AKLs do it all the time as well, if they're parked closer to the north of TBIT. As does QF's earliest SYD departure, which goes off of 24L more often than not whenever I'm out spotting.

Heck, even SQ's SIN-LAX nonstop used to go off of 24L fairly frequently as well.

10,200ft at sea level, on a cool night, is more than sufficient for these ops most the time.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

N717TW

Mon May 23, 2016 12:01 pm

Quoting questions (Reply 90):

Quoting N717TW (Reply 78):

General Manager - LAX Redevelopment Design
Requisition #: 261778
Los Angeles, CA

What's a good guess as to how much this position pays?

Probably in the $150K range. Major project construction project managers average around $100K in the U.S.; this is a higher profile/more complicated project (than say a shopping center) plus one has to add the L.A./California cost-of-living bump.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Tue May 24, 2016 1:24 am

According to DOT filing, Delta expects approval by the LAWA during a June 2016 board meeting.

questions

Tue May 24, 2016 1:55 am

This is an interesting read from 2006. Delta's performance and people's perspectives have changed in 10 years.

LAX Moves To Evict Delta From T-5 (by Laxintl Apr 24 2006 in Civil Aviation)

grbauc

Tue May 24, 2016 2:19 am

Quoting questions (Reply 112):

This is an interesting read from 2006. Delta's performance and people's perspectives have changed in 10 years.

LAX Moves To Evict Delta From T-5 (by Laxintl Apr 24 2006 in Civil Aviation)

I remember reading that tread back then. WorldTraveler I've not seen him post in a long time. Thx

LAXintl
Topic Author

Tue May 24, 2016 2:20 am

Quoting questions (Reply 112):

In hindisght DL made some strategic mistakes with LAX back then with the BK and all.

Giving up the hangar lease, office building, and support facilities has boxed DL in since. For instance it still uses the hangar but must pay LAWA a per aircraft/per day fee far exceeding what the original lease cost was.

Further back giving up on the large Delta Connection flying operated by Skywest and sending them right into the hands of United on the West Coast also hurt and has taken long time to rebuild to replicate.

Also giving up on prime markets like JFK-LAX to Song was a diversion that drove client base away that also taken years to rebuild.

The multi decade yo-yo love hate relationship with LAX has been interesting to watch.

dfwking

Tue May 24, 2016 6:17 pm

Just curious to understand how things work behind the scenes. Why would B6 or NK move to terminals that are already full? I assume that these carriers would like more gate access at LAX and the current T3 isn't able to accommodate this. Do other terminals have unused gates?

Can LAWA force them to move or would DL have to sweeten the deal in some fashion?

glbltrvlr

Tue May 24, 2016 6:22 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 114):
Giving up the hangar lease, office building, and support facilities has boxed DL in since. For instance it still uses the hangar but must pay LAWA a per aircraft/per day fee far exceeding what the original lease cost was.

Corporate America loves to do this, presumably driven by Wall Street, who doesn't like to see companies own assets that aren't directly related to generating revenue. Especially true with real estate related assets. They much prefer to take an upfront payment for the sale of the asset and treat the ongoing expense as a cost of business.

LAXtoATL

Tue May 24, 2016 7:18 pm

Quoting dfwking (Reply 115):
Just curious to understand how things work behind the scenes. Why would B6 or NK move to terminals that are already full? I assume that these carriers would like more gate access at LAX and the current T3 isn't able to accommodate this. Do other terminals have unused gates?

Can LAWA force them to move or would DL have to sweeten the deal in some fashion?

My understanding is they don't have a choice. Where certain airlines have exclusive use leases for specific facilities, I believe B6 & NK only have access to common use gates. Therefore as long as LAWA reacommodates them they have no say. Of course there certain carrier specific improvements that they would have to be compensated for. LAWA can force them to move, reasonable compensation will be made for improvements they have made to their current facilities as well as moving expenses. DL is not involved with the carriers at all. This is LAWA's show, they are making arrangements directly with each affected airline and there are many (AA, DL, B6, NK, VX... Just to name a few as there are other carriers involved as well)

carljanderson

Tue May 24, 2016 10:37 pm

Quoting LAXtoATL (Reply 117):
(AA, DL, B6, NK, VX... Just to name a few as there are other carriers involved as well)

Look at all the sessions in the LAWA May 5th Closed Session dealing with leases, and I'm sure a lot deal with the Airfield Optimization Project, or whatever they're going to call it.

http://lawa.granicus.com/GeneratedAg...daViewer.php?view_id=4&clip_id=359

AABB777

Tue May 24, 2016 11:28 pm

Quoting LAXtoATL (Reply 117):

My understanding is they don't have a choice. Where certain airlines have exclusive use leases for specific facilities, I believe B6 & NK only have access to common use gates. Therefore as long as LAWA reacommodates them they have no say. Of course there certain carrier specific improvements that they would have to be compensated for. LAWA can force them to move, reasonable compensation will be made for improvements they have made to their current facilities as well as moving expenses. DL is not involved with the carriers at all. This is LAWA's show, they are making arrangements directly with each affected airline and there are many (AA, DL, B6, NK, VX... Just to name a few as there are other carriers involved as well)

Will LAWA also force QR to relocate from T2 to TBIT? I doubt DL will want QR to remain in T2.

diverdave

Wed May 25, 2016 1:28 am

In hindisght DL made some strategic mistakes with LAX back then with the BK and all.

You nailed it.

Didn't DL also have a master lease for T5 before bankruptcy and the resulting disputes with LAWA?

David

klkla

Wed May 25, 2016 2:07 am

Yes, Delta really blew it. Look at how much market share they have lost in the last ten years at LAX. Look at how their profits have sank. Why don't they just pack up and leave like so many people suggested on that thread from ten years ago?

LAXSTEW

Wed May 25, 2016 2:22 am

Quoting klkla (Reply 121):

Seriously. Look at the cities served out of LAX back in 2006 compared to 2016. Add the marketing push (Staples, Grammys, etc) over that past 6 or 7 years and it's proven to be a very successful steady growth plan.

The haters said we'd get killed on all these "dartboard" adds over the years, from SYD to SFO to SEA. Still here!!  

grbauc

Wed May 25, 2016 3:33 am

Quoting LAXSTEW (Reply 122):

Seriously. Look at the cities served out of LAX back in 2006 compared to 2016. Add the marketing push (Staples, Grammys, etc) over that past 6 or 7 years and it's proven to be a very successful steady growth plan.

The haters said we'd get killed on all these "dartboard" adds over the years, from SYD to SFO to SEA. Still here!!  
Quoting klkla (Reply 121):

Yes, Delta really blew it. Look at how much market share they have lost in the last ten years at LAX. Look at how their profits have sank. Why don't they just pack up and leave like so many people suggested on that thread from ten years ago?

I think the point was that Look how far ahead they would of been if they didn't lose some of those arrangements. Not that Delta will fail. Because they have rebounded pretty well with there position at lax but how far in the lead would they be if they valued LAX way back when..

LAXtoATL

Wed May 25, 2016 5:09 pm

Quoting AABB777 (Reply 119):
Will LAWA also force QR to relocate from T2 to TBIT? I doubt DL will want QR to remain in T2.

I'm not sure. I didn't know all the details and types of leases each carrier has which is why I said other airlines are involved but didn't specify.

My guess is DL would want all carriers other than VS, AM, and Westjet relocated but LAWA might not have the contractual leverage or incentives to relocate all the carriers. If QR remained with its one daily flight it shouldn't be the end of the world for DL. HA, however, would be another carrier that would most likely have to be reacommodated either to T5/T6 or TBIT. Whatever the outcome, I can't imagine DL and LAWA would have made the arrangement they did without knowing which airlines could / couldn't be forced to relocate and the ability to work around any airline(s) that would refuse to move.

LAX772LR

Wed May 25, 2016 6:20 pm

Quoting LAXtoATL (Reply 124):
My guess is DL would want all carriers other than VS, AM, and Westjet relocated but LAWA might not have the contractual leverage or incentives to relocate all the carriers.

Pretty sure WN intends to keep using T2 for int'l arrivals.

If QR remained with its one daily flight it shouldn't be the end of the world for DL.

LOL, the one airline that they hate most. This will be GOOD.  
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

deltal1011man

Wed May 25, 2016 8:08 pm

While true, in all honesty DL is going to be outgrowing the high bay anyways (and last I heard DL was working on a deal with LAWA for a new 2-3 bay hangar depending on what UA does.)

If a 330, 777 and soon 359 need hangar space DL has to lease from AA or UA (or use the TWA hangar)

Not really sure if, long term, DL made the wrong choice or not. Time will tell on that but IMO its going to end up better for DL.

LAXSTEW

Wed May 25, 2016 8:37 pm

The execs in the late 90's through BK didn't seem interested at all in competing with AA and UA on the west coast, particularly at LAX. (Might account for the BK decision to let all those assets go).

It's Anderson's team that, despite all those give-backs, has managed to build up LAX. (Properly...unlike the Express Jet expansion failure).

mutu

Thu May 26, 2016 1:54 pm

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 87):
T5A also handles all connections so every single passenger through T5, O&D or connecting, passes through the central terminal point. BA/Heathrow then seeks to hold them at T5A until boarding meaning that T5B and T5C feel like ghost towns as there are so few passengers hanging around there. T5 really isn't comparable to ATL where a lot of passengers will stay out on B and C and never touch

Not strictly true, though no doubt a majority of transfer pax do pass back through T5A - because the majority of shorthaul and ALL domestic/ROI flights depart from T5A. But longhaul to longhaul often do move T5B to C o r B to B or c to B or C to C with an occasion early morning shorthaul departure thrown in.

N717TW

Fri May 27, 2016 5:10 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 125):

My guess is DL would want all carriers other than VS, AM, and Westjet relocated but LAWA might not have the contractual leverage or incentives to relocate all the carriers.

Pretty sure WN intends to keep using T2 for int'l arrivals.

If QR remained with its one daily flight it shouldn't be the end of the world for DL.

LOL, the one airline that they hate most. This will be GOOD.  

Sounds really no different than how MIA, JFK T-4 (or even Concourse E and F in ATL) all operate for DL now--some dedicated DL gates, some preferential for DL and others are fully common use. As much as QR and DL don't get along, they do operate from the same terminals at many airports. The real challenge will be moving AC as they use more gates and their peak times are similar to DLs (i.e. morning). moving them to T-6 would be ideal.

Quoting deltal1011man (Reply 126):
If a 330, 777 and soon 359 need hangar space DL has to lease from AA or UA (or use the TWA hangar)

Isn't the TWA hanger gone? Im pretty sure it was now gone (or almost gone) when I was there a few weeks ago.

cageyjames

Fri May 27, 2016 5:37 pm

Quoting N717TW (Reply 129):
Isn't the TWA hanger gone? Im pretty sure it was now gone (or almost gone) when I was there a few weeks ago.

Yup!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOAZ3oq55H8

atlflyer

Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:49 pm

We should hear some more concrete details from Delta & LAX soon. Saw this tweet from LAX to a passenger:

@grimkardashian_ apologies for inconvenience. T3 will undergo an extreme makeover soon featuring new dining, shopping & design

N717TW

Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:43 pm

The few agents I spoke with this morning at the ticket counter and lounge all were talking as if DL is moving over next year. "Sometime mid-year 2017" was the line used more than once.

questions

Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:41 am

Quoting gaystudpilot (Reply 106):
As you have acknowledged, we haven't seen Delta's plans. Given the number of gates Delta currently has in T5 and T6; the number of gates in T2 and T3 and what DL may have access to in TBIT; the use of T2 gates by other non-US airlines; and the relocation and renovation timelines I think it's safe to assume that neither T2 nor T3 will be demolished or gutted as part of a rebuild.

We can probably expect an airside T2-T3 connector and a T3-TBIT connector with perhaps an additional gate or two. Other renovations will be more like what DL has done with LAX T5 (check-in lobby, Delta One check-in lounge, bathrooms, refurbished Sky Club); LGA (connector, upgraded food and beverage options, remodeled Sky Club, paint and carpet); and JFK T2 (upgraded food and beverage options, remodeled Sky Club, paint and carpet). Interestingly, LAX T3 and JFK T2 opened in 1961 and 1962, respectively.

Delta has a lot of experience with utilizing decades old aircraft while upgrading the onboard customer experience. The same can be said for several of its terminals at various airports. So your expectations should be set on "this place cleaned up nicely" vs. "Wow, this sets the standard for terminal design!"

But who knows? We could all be surprised by the final plans Delta announces.

That's probably about right.

carljanderson

Re: Delta LAX Terminal Plans Revealed

Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:08 pm

And its on the BOAC Calendar for 7/20..

Agenda - http://lawa.granicus.com/GeneratedAgendaViewer.php?view_id=4&event_id=1147 (Item #16)

Detail - http://lawa.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php?view_id=4&event_id=1147&meta_id=26575

Looks like Aeroflot, Virgin Australia, WestJet and Aeromexico will be in T2/3. Don't see a mention of Virgin Atlantic or Southwest in the detail.

commavia

Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:13 pm

carljanderson wrote:

Agenda - http://lawa.granicus.com/GeneratedAgendaViewer.php?view_id=4&event_id=1147 (Item #16)

Detail - http://lawa.granicus.com/MetaViewer.php?view_id=4&event_id=1147&meta_id=26575

Looks like Aeroflot, Virgin Australia, WestJet and Aeromexico will be in T2/3. Don't see a mention of Virgin Atlantic or Southwest in the detail.

Cool - very interesting. Thanks for the update.

The language on the reshuffle and knock-on impact to all the various other airlines is fascinating - I will be very curious to see how this affects the shuffle for other airlines (especially AA given the implications for the south side, T5, Eagle, etc.). Reading through the detailed document, it doesn't yet exactly spell out precisely how the shakeout will go for all the airlines but rather just states that, "Most of the affected airlines have indicated to LAWA that Delta's relocation will improve their own LAX operation and better position LAWA to meet airlines' future needs," and that "LAWA will be responsible for negotiating replacement leases, lease amendments, or other agreements for affected airlines that have leases, including Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, and Virgin America."

But, at least from my quick scan, it doesn't appear to explicitly preclude the notional layout that CrankyFlier laid out back in January that AA "does not necessarily endorse" but tacitly acknowledged in one of its LAX-PEK filings. So if we treat that as reasonable, and assume Delta ends up with preferential use over the entirety of T2/T3 plus 2 gates in TBIT - per this latest document - that seems to net out to somewhere around 24-26 gates. The other big airline in the reshuffle, AA, then getting preferential use over the entirety of T4/T5 plus the 4-5 gates in TBIT - per the Cranky assessment - nets out to somewhere around 33 plus maybe another 1-2 if T5 gets reconfigured as T4 has recently been. United and Southwest will presumably keep their current gate count at T7/T8 and T1, respectively, but where does this leave Southwest with T2 international access? Am I missing anything on the math? And any other anticipated implications for LAX's other big operator, Alaska? (The combined airline would presumably consolidate in an even-more-Alaska-centric T6.)

masgniw

Re: RE: Delta LAX Terminal Plans Revealed

Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:27 pm

gaystudpilot wrote:
Quoting questions (Reply 102):I think it's safe to assume that neither T2 nor T3 will be demolished or gutted as part of a rebuild.

Spot on with T2. Its recent remodel makes it feel very modern and pleasant -- definitely up to the standards of any world class airport.

I think I'd disagree with you on T3 though. Personally, I think the layout is pretty functional, but the space is very drab and lacks amenities. There is effectively one to-go food option (Burger King) and very little to make travelers feel comfortable. I frequent LAX and travel through a majority of the terminals, making sure to carve out time to relax and plane spot if my schedule allows. But, T3 is an exception to that rule for me. I almost feel unwelcome to spend more time than is minimally necessary there, which sucks a lot of enjoyment out of the flying experience for me.

I don't see the need to rebuild T3, but I'd love to see Delta invest in a facelift for these facilities.

tcaeyx

Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:39 pm

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=161053&page=44

Here are the construction schedule and the preliminary concept drawing of the T2/T3 renovation.

commavia

Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:15 pm

tcaeyx wrote:

Here are the construction schedule and the preliminary concept drawing of the T2/T3 renovation.

Cool - thanks for sharing. So going by that concept drawing, it appears that Delta is, indeed, retaining the underlying existing structures of both T2 and T3 (at least except the connector building) with minimal modification, but simply expanding and improving the head house between them to unify it into more of one single terminal - that makes complete sense.

The next decade is going to be incredibly intense at LAX, with dramatic changes taking place for a variety of airlines. Delta's investments at T2/T3 are going to transform the north side, and while no specifics have yet been detailed, it sounds like AA envisions something similar for the south side:

"... in Order for American to Undertake a Comprehensive Ramp of Its Terminals and Terminal Facilities, Delta Must First Move Out of Terminals 5/6..."

"And, When It Is American’s Time to Step Up to the Plate at LAX, It Intends to Make an Investment Paralleling Its Unmatched Investment in New Air Services at LAX"

"Requires Several Moves, Each Dependent on Prior Moves, but Delta’s Move to Terminals 2/3 Must Precede the Substantial Revamp by American"

WA707atMSP

Re: RE: Delta LAX Terminal Plans Revealed

Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:24 pm

masgniw wrote:
I don't see the need to rebuild T3, but I'd love to see Delta invest in a facelift for these facilities.

I still feel LAX should have demolished T3 during DL's bankruptcy and before VX expanded, and replaced it with a combined domestic / international facility like T2.

LAX was not as gate constrained eight years ago as it is now, and if LAX had taken advantage of the reduced demand (and lower construction prices) during the recession, they would have a modern facility on the T3 site - this would have made the current round of construction and gate realignments a lot less painful.

atlflyer

Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:27 pm

From the construction timeline on the link above, looks like Delta will spend about another 2 years renovating the T2 concourse again. I wonder what else they are planning since it just completed a full renovation.

ldvaviation

Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:36 pm

The takeaway from this is that LAWA is going to spend $1.5 B to relocate Delta to T2/T3.

Let's add it all up. That's about $3.5 B that LAWA has spent or will spend revamping all the terminals, except T4 and TBIT.

What would you have done with the money instead? Build two more midfield concourses and tear down T1 to T8?

There is just no long term planning here. Why commit any more money to a layout and buildings that are outdated and spatially constrained? If you are going to spend the money anyway, it is foolish to play games with financing it.

JHwk

Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:56 pm

ldvaviation wrote:
The takeaway from this is that LAWA is going to spend $1.5 B to relocate Delta to T2/T3.

Let's add it all up. That's about $3.5 B that LAWA has spent or will spend revamping all the terminals, except T4 and TBIT.

What would you have done with the money instead? Build two more midfield concourses and tear down T1 to T8?

There is just no long term planning here. Why commit any more money to a layout and buildings that are outdated and spatially constrained? If you are going to spend the money anyway, it is foolish to play games with financing it.

Strategically, there really isn't a way around what they have done and are doing. Personally though, I think the biggest travesty was the CUP west of the Theme building: there controlling factor at the airport is the roadway. Until you fix landside circulation you are stuck, and the CUP kills a number of options.

I personally don't think the LRT can solve the problem, owing to Southern California culture for starters, and the design limitations as the nail in the coffin.

AABB777

Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:11 pm

carljanderson wrote:

What implication does this have on QR's operations at T2? Will they be forced to move to TBIT?

11725Flyer

Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:09 pm

commavia wrote:
tcaeyx wrote:

Thanks very much for the link. It's pretty interesting reading.

tcaeyx

Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:28 pm

AABB777 wrote:

What implication does this have on QR's operations at T2? Will they be forced to move to TBIT?

My guess is that QR will fight against being relocated from T2, which they selected for its lounge space. I'd imagine it would not want to put itself at a disadvantage against EK and EY by moving to TBIT where both have their own lounges, in addition to the fact that no such space currently exists for QR. Interesting to see how this will play out.

gregn21

Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:35 pm

tcaeyx wrote:
AABB777 wrote:

My guess is that QR will fight against being relocated from T2, which they selected for its lounge space. I'd imagine it would not want to put itself at a disadvantage against EK and EY by moving to TBIT where both have their own lounges, in addition to the fact that no such space currently exists for QR. Interesting to see how this will play out.

You're forgetting about the OneWorld/Qantas First lounges in TBIT. I feel that travelers would prefer those to QR's current lounge situation.

tcaeyx

Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:12 pm

gregn21 wrote:

You're forgetting about the OneWorld/Qantas First lounges in TBIT. I feel that travelers would prefer those to QR's current lounge situation.

Haven't forgotten, just trying to point out that QR probably wouldn't be too keen on sharing when its main rivals do not.

carljanderson

Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:26 pm

Isn't there going to be lounge space at the MSC?

anonms

Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:24 am

carljanderson wrote:
Isn't there going to be lounge space at the MSC?

And also in the MSC connector.
This is my signature.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos