Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

webuser
Topic Author

Christoph Mueller (CEO) Of MH To Step Down In Sept

Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:39 am

This is just in.

Christoph Mueller current CEO of Malaysia Airlines berhad, previously from Aer Lingus, will be stepping down in September this year.

"The Board has acknowledged Mr Mueller’s plan to leave ahead of time, which is due to his changing personal circumstances, and has commenced a search for a new CEO, which will encompass both internal and external potential candidates,"

I wonder what is the personal circumstance mentioned.

Was hoping that he would make a big difference with Malaysia Airlines.. but sad to see it being cut short.. although it looks like he will still be involved, just not as active.

"Following this, he has expressed his intention to the MAB Board of Directors (BOD) to remain with the airline as Non-Executive Director."

Source: http://english.astroawani.com/busine...bids-farewell-mab-september-103045

TheFlyingDisk

RE: Christoph Mueller (CEO) Of MH To Step Down In Sept

Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:46 am

I'm hoping the change in his personal circumstance is actually that - a change in his personal circumstance.

If he was pushed out, I will never forgive the ones who shoved him.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

BestWestern

Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:51 am

Very disappointed with this move. As we have discussed previously, this is a very political company and most probably he couldn't do what he wanted to turn the company around.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

OA260

Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:54 am

I wondered how long he would last. Seems they were not really that interested in turning the company around ! Shame...

mercure1

Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:23 pm

Interesting. If he was pushed out that would be a very disappointing news.

I do wonder what the status of the overhaul is? Remember there was to be some form of rebranding in December. Its now April and nothing. Seems many things have stalled.

MAS To Keep Name; But New Brand Starting December (by LAXintl Oct 1 2015 in Civil Aviation)
mercure f-wtcc

enilria

Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:26 pm

Quoting webuser (Thread starter):
"The Board has acknowledged Mr Mueller’s plan to leave ahead of time, which is due to his changing personal circumstances, and has commenced a search for a new CEO, which will encompass both internal and external potential candidates,"

I think it was just an excellent time to leave. He stopped the ship from sinking. Threw a new coat of paint on things. He probably feels the next phase is much harder and was looking to cash out and stepping stone it up the ladder somewhere else.

Quoting TheFlyingDisk (Reply 1):
I'm hoping the change in his personal circumstance

AKA other job offer?

IrishAyes

Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:29 pm

I'm hoping the change in his personal circumstance is actually that - a change in his personal circumstance.

Same here. I am still appalled by the racist comments that were made when some of the Malaysians expressed outrage that a, "white man" was taking over the CEO position.

Just awful. If it did come down to that, and attitudes weren't softening, well, I don't blame him for wanting to leave. You can't change stupid.

justplanes

Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:21 pm

On a slightly different/more positive note... in my 25 years of dealing with hundreds and hundreds of airlines I have to say that since I started working with Malaysia Airlines about 6 months ago these people have been nothing short of fantastic!
Wish more Asian airlines were half as great to deal with as MAS is!

9MMPQ

Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:52 pm

Looks more like with most of the dirty work now done Christoph Mueller has served his purpose. He took a lot of garbage for a lot of the things that had to be done to get MH back on track & for that he has my respect. Rumours already going around his replacement will be coming from Khazanah. Sadly makes one feel this will be a return to the political games from the past.

Right now MH is still very much in a state of flux. A lot of things are improving but there is still a lot to be done & they need to press on. So will it be make, break or back to the past ?

Quoting justplanes (Reply 7):
On a slightly different/more positive note... in my 25 years of dealing with hundreds and hundreds of airlines I have to say that since I started working with Malaysia Airlines about 6 months ago these people have been nothing short of fantastic! Wish more Asian airlines were half as great to deal with as MAS is!

I have of course no idea in what capacity you are dealing with MH but good to hear. There have always been a lot of people on the front line of daily business with a great attitude making it a very good place to be at. Fortunately that still applies to many today.
I believe in coincidences. Coincidences happen every day. But I don't trust coincidences.

LondonCity

Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:21 pm

Quoting 9MMPQ (Reply 8):
So will it be make, break or back to the past ?

One hopes so. But not serving alcoholic drinks on regional flights of under 3 hours will not endear the airline to the lucrative business class passenger. And what will the high fare business traveller think when he finds it's a 747 operating his/her KUL-LHR flight and not an A380 ?

KaiTak747

Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:04 pm

Quoting LondonCity (Reply 9):
And what will the high fare business traveller think when he finds it's a 747 operating his/her KUL-LHR flight and not an A380 ?

The 747 will only sub for the A380 on an ad hoc basis, I would imagine hardly ever. And the hard products are not too different I believe.

But not serving alcoholic drinks on regional flights of under 3 hours

Even in J?

Flaps

Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:17 pm

One hopes so. But not serving alcoholic drinks on regional flights of under 3 hours will not endear the airline to the lucrative business class passenger. And what will the high fare business traveller think when he finds it's a 747 operating his/her KUL-LHR flight and not an A380 ?

Hard to anticipate really. I for one could care less about either one. Not all lucrative frequent business travelers fall into that same mold. While those that do may be the stereotypical image that we think of first, they can also simply be the visible tip of the iceberg. Reliability and scheduling carry a great amount of weight in business travel. Quite often more so than things like alcohol and aircraft type.

UA444

Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:19 pm

If they don't have a replacement lined up, and he's leaving in 5 months, he's probably leaving on his own terms and hasn't been pushed out. If he left tomorrow that's Being pushed out.

9MMPQ

Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:14 pm

But not serving alcoholic drinks on regional flights of under 3 hours will not endear the airline to the lucrative business class passenger. And what will the high fare business traveller think when he finds it's a 747 operating his/her KUL-LHR flight and not an A380 ?

Just to name a few of the things .. in some areas MH can be seen to make geat strides while in others they still appear to be bogged down in the past. Hence the need to press on, whether they can find another such capable CEO is questionable.

Quoting KaiTak747 (Reply 10):
The 747 will only sub for the A380 on an ad hoc basis, I would imagine hardly ever. And the hard products are not too different I believe.

Hard product on the 747 has not been upgraded to the A380/A330 standard. Similar situation during the previous 747 re-activation. While i like some nostalgia it's not going to fly with everyone for a 13 hour or so flight.

Quoting UA444 (Reply 12):
If they don't have a replacement lined up, and he's leaving in 5 months, he's probably leaving on his own terms and hasn't been pushed out. If he left tomorrow that's Being pushed out.

Actually the same has happened with previous CEO's & the months that Mueller will stay on will give MH plenty of time to name a successor, this has been done before. If that successor will be suitable is a whole other discussion. At this level of management nobody walks out the next day, it would have to get real messy for it to come that far. Certainly for a man like Mueller who showed a lot of engagement with MH this news has been very surprising.
I believe in coincidences. Coincidences happen every day. But I don't trust coincidences.

LondonCity

Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:26 pm

Even in J?

Yes. As far as I know.

webuser
Topic Author

Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:59 am

"Meanwhile, Malaysia Airlines chief operations officer Peter Bellew has been appointed as executive director with immediate effect."

Peter Bellew was previously from Ryanair.

Source: http://www.theedgemarkets.com/my/art...-mueller-quits-after-one-year-helm

I hope MAS will be able to maintain the current plans as laid down by Chis Muller moving forward and not repeat its historical cycle of getting bloated/fat again.

And what will the high fare business traveller think when he finds it's a 747 operating his/her KUL-LHR flight and not an A380 ?

From memory it will be for 2 flights a week, and only as MH1 and MH4.. which one of these is a full day flight.. can't remember the source, will need to find it again.

I did find the J product on MH's 747/777 to be more comfortable than the current/phasing out J on their current A333 though. Somehow the seats on MH's A333s J felt really thin/hard/uncomfortable.

Have not tried J on their A380 before though, but will be doing so in June as MH2, so hopefully it won't end up being a 747!

col

Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:57 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 2):
Very disappointed with this move. As we have discussed previously, this is a very political company and most probably he couldn't do what he wanted to turn the company around.
Quoting OA260 (Reply 3):
I wondered how long he would last. Seems they were not really that interested in turning the company around ! Shame...

Please re-read the article. Especially the comments from the Chairman and Christoph. If you want a CEO out it is immediate. You don't want to continue to improve, then you stop the CEO plans also. They have agreement he will stay until Sept and continue the process. My guess is that by Sept the new CEO will have a pretty cleaned up airline.

KUL is my home town airport and you can see the changes being made every visit.

webuser
Topic Author

Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:48 am

Quoting col (Reply 16):
My guess is that by Sept the new CEO will have a pretty cleaned up airline.

New CEO meaning Christoph Muller?

Quoting col (Reply 16):
KUL is my home town airport and you can see the changes being made every visit.

I've only had two visits to KLIA, one in June last year and another in December. I will get another chance later this year in June.

Would be great if you could share the changes you have noted?

I for one was rooting that Mr. Christoph Muller would be given the full uninterrupted opportunity to turn MH around as on a personal level, feel really sad to see MH over the years get worse and worse.

anfromme

Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:26 am

Quoting enilria (Reply 5):
I think it was just an excellent time to leave. He stopped the ship from sinking. Threw a new coat of paint on things. He probably feels the next phase is much harder and was looking to cash out and stepping stone it up the ladder somewhere else.

...yeah, because that's exactly how he operated at Aer Lingus previously {I}
Seriously - I could basically watch him turning Aer Lingus around against quite a lot of pressure from all sorts of sides. Political (the state still holds ~25% of the airline), labour (jobs gettiing cut, pension agreements renegotiated), competition (FR), etc.
In my experience, he's not somebody to just throw in the towel looking for the next gig. The simple fact that after EI - with enough options out there - he chose MH is testament to that.

jsfr

Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:54 am

Pure Speculation: AFKL?

UKtoOzFlyer

Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:56 am

There was a comment elsewhere that has suggested Mr Mueller's wife / kids / family are still back in the Republican of Ireland, and never made the move to KL together.

When I first read the news I was suspicious that he quit due to the politic inside the airline and with the govt.

But perhaps living apart from ones family is not as easy as it sounds...

LondonCity

Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:57 am

Quoting webuser (Reply 15):
From memory it will be for 2 flights a week, and only as MH1 and MH4.. which one of these is a full day flight.. can't remember the source, will need to find it again.

KUL-LHR daytime flight is MH4. MH is the overnight return from LHR.

Details of days of operation have been released by Airline Route.

The B747 will operate from May 16 to June 27.

Configuration will be 12 in first, 39 in business and 302 in economy.

LondonCity

Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:02 pm

Quoting LondonCity (Reply 21):
KUL-LHR daytime flight is MH4. MH is the overnight return from LHR.

Apologies for the typo. MH4 is KUL-LHR daytime. MH1 is LHR-KUL overnight.

Eagleboy

Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:05 pm

Quoting UKtoOzFlyer (Reply 20):
There was a comment elsewhere that has suggested Mr Mueller's wife / kids / family are still back in the Republican of Ireland, and never made the move to KL together.

Family are in school in Dublin and never made the move.....2 kids are (I think?) early teens?

col

Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:38 pm

Quoting webuser (Reply 17):
New CEO meaning Christoph Muller?

His replacement.

Quoting webuser (Reply 17):
Would be great if you could share the changes you have noted?

The most notable is in the fleet. There are still some 777's in KUL (stored), but mostly they are all gone. I have seen more of the 738's used Internationally, which is not much fun on the longer flights as their 738's like silkair ones are cramped. They are certainly trimmer and more efficient around the check in areas. I would say a good job from everyone to do what they have done so quickly.

TheFlyingDisk

Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:51 pm

Quoting col (Reply 16):
Please re-read the article. Especially the comments from the Chairman and Christoph. If you want a CEO out it is immediate. You don't want to continue to improve, then you stop the CEO plans also. They have agreement he will stay until Sept and continue the process. My guess is that by Sept the new CEO will have a pretty cleaned up airline.

I sure hope so, col. KUL's my home airport too & even more so I've friends in MH so I'm rooting for them to succeed.

But given how government interference is the norm, it's the first thought that comes to mind, you know. Bad enough that a few months ago Anwar's daugther brought up the foreigner CEO issue again because they got nothing else to play on politically...

enilria

Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:12 pm

Quoting anfromme (Reply 18):
In my experience, he's not somebody to just throw in the towel looking for the next gig.

I haven't met him, but MH is not EI. If he got to a point where he thought politically going any further was intractable then now is the time to leave. He had a lot more flexibility at EI.

EddieDude

Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:38 pm

Didn't he say at some point that he was leaving for reasons "beyond [his] control"?
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

bobdino

Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:31 pm

Quoting jsfr (Reply 19):
Pure Speculation: AFKL?

Intruiging idea...

LAXintl

Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:33 pm

Quoting webuser (Reply 15):
I hope MAS will be able to maintain the current plans as laid down by Chis Muller moving forward and not repeat its historical cycle of getting bloated/fat again.

For information, the recovery plan was developed by first Khazanah and published in mid 2014. It included hiring new management team.

Mueller was hired afterwards and was tasked to carry out the approved Khazanah plan.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

kiramakora

Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:06 pm

Can someone from Malindo or AirAsia take over?

IrishAyes

Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:30 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 26):
If he got to a point where he thought politically going any further was intractable then now is the time to leave. He had a lot more flexibility at EI.
Quoting UKtoOzFlyer (Reply 20):
But perhaps living apart from ones family is not as easy as it sounds...

I suppose these factoids, if true, combined with the fact that he's announced his departure 5 months in advance *could* be the reason why he's leaving MH.

Family always comes first

fidelidade

Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:44 pm

I don't think anyone from Malindo or AirAsia is stupid enough to go to MAS. However, if they poach, they hire Aireen Omar (AirAsia CEO) as CEO and Arik De (AirAsia X Head of Commercial) as CCO to turn things around. I met lot of airline management top people, and they are two best in the world.

col

Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:07 am

Quoting TheFlyingDisk (Reply 25):
But given how government interference is the norm, it's the first thought that comes to mind, you know. Bad enough that a few months ago Anwar's daugther brought up the foreigner CEO issue again because they got nothing else to play on politically...

I am hoping that MH will show that foreigner CEO's do a good job. They need to focus on lots of real issues here in Malaysia. I take the comments made by Cristoph as real and not forced. If they did not like what he is doing then he would be back in Ireland with his family.

One of his best decisions was going with the A350. It is a great plane to operate with the 330/380, particularly for the pax. I just wish that they had joined Skyteam instead of oneworld.

A330

Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:58 am

"The Terminator" can kiss my hairy ass .

A330
Ex Sabena.
Shiek!

webuser
Topic Author

Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:02 am

Quoting col (Reply 33):
I just wish that they had joined Skyteam instead of oneworld.

You can thank Qantas for that. That aside, why do you wish MAS is part of Skyteam?

TheFlyingDisk

Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:41 am

So Mueller reiterated that his departure wasn't politically motivated & that his reasons are too personal to be detailed http://www.thestar.com.my/business/b...21/its-not-political-says-mueller/

EK413

Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:56 am

Quoting webuser (Reply 35):
You can thank Qantas for that. That aside, why do you wish MAS is part of Skyteam?

Why? Why blame Qantas it ain't as though QF put a gun to their head and forced MH to join Oneworld.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

col

Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:21 am

Quoting webuser (Reply 35):

I thought it was AF who did not want them and of course everybody wants to fly with AF  .

I prefer skyteam to oneworld - personal preference. Never had good experiences with AA and BA, CX/QF are better and of course MH is quite OK.

TheFlyingDisk

Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:41 am

Skyteam was definitely the better alliance to be in, considering that MH had close ties with KL, and if I recall correctly even DL.

Look at their partnerships in oneworld, 3 years on since its inaugural - it's non-existent with BA & QF, limited with CX & QR, so-so with AA & JL - so what's the point?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos