Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LTenEleven
Topic Author

Budapest - Worst Passenger Experience In Europe?

Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:08 pm

Wizz Air, Ryanair and Norwegian passengers flying to/from Budapest suffer what is probably the worst terminal experience in Europe. A long walk through a narrow corridor leading to a waiting room resembling a concrete floored oversize tool shed, with no seating and individual gate separated by walls of metal mesh. After anything between 20 minutes and an hour in this environment, passengers are allowed access to the next waiting area, outside, where they spend another 5-20 minutes before being allowed to board.

It makes the low-cost terminal experience at the Stansteds, Lutons, Hahns and KLIA2s of the world feel positively luxurious.

Passenger expectations may be too high since award winning Budapest airport celebrates these "new light-frame halls" as a big success:
http://www.bud.hu/english/budapest-a...he-basic-boarding-gates-13301.html

http://i63.tinypic.com/1z3qmoi.png

Andy33

RE: Budapest - Worst Passenger Experience In Europe?

Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:17 pm

You think that's bad, try a Greek island airport like Kos in high summer! You have to queue outside for a chance to get into the check-in hall to queue to check-in, then queue again to put your hold baggage through the scanner yourself, then queue again for security....

Oh, and it's 40C outside, and the airconditioning doesn't work.
Admittedly not a capital city airport.

SCQ83

Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:35 pm

I agree, it is a joke. It is like cattle going to the slaughterhouse.

krisyyz

Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:36 pm

I don't think BUD is thrilled about having this kind of set-up. But obviously, the LCCs are the ones who wanted fast boarding and a reduced cost of operations. This is probably the best solution BUD could come up with, given the demands of the LCCs and the airport's own budget.

I know there are plans to add flexible gates at BUD, the concourse (can't remember if 2A or 2B) will be expanded and the new gates will allow boarding by both a bridge and by foot.

While this LCC "terminal" is a draw back at BUD, the airport itself has won the Skytrax award for best Eastern European airport for three years in a row..

http://www.bud.hu/english/budapest-a...ns-third-skytrax-award!-19925.html

KrisYYZ

slcdeltarumd11

Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:39 pm

Quoting LTenEleven (Thread starter):
Wizz Air, Ryanair and Norwegian passengers flying to/from Budapest suffer what is probably the worst terminal experience in Europe

Yeah but that is what those airlines and its customers want. CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP. The regular terminal in BUD is very nice

jsnww81

Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:11 pm

The saddest part of the whole story is that BUD spent good money remodeling the old 1920s-era T1 at Ferihegy in the early-mid 2000s specifically to serve the needs of low-cost carriers, and it provided a far nicer experience than these concrete sheds do. That was back in the days of Malev, so there was no room at T2A/B to accommodate the budget airlines.

I understand why they consolidated everyone into the T2 buildings after Malev collapsed, but T1 was a far superior experience for passengers (even price-sensitive flyers of LCCs.) Now the comparatively spacious T1 is sitting empty while passengers are herded through metal and concrete sheds.

I haven't been through T2 since the central atrium was opened; my last visit was in 2007 and T1 honestly looked better than T2 back then.

SpaceshipDC10

Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:16 pm

passengers are allowed access to the next waiting area, outside, where they spend another 5-20 minutes before being allowed to board.

I've been told that it was previously completely open air.

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 4):
Yeah but that is what those airlines and its customers want. CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP.

You get what you pay for.

gilesdavies

Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:22 pm

Wow, doesn't look great, resembles a cattle shed!

But we need to face up to reality, the two largest customers at the airport are Ryanair and Wizzair, these both have the lowest operating costs of any airlines in Europe. To get there, they screw the airports down to the bare bone, if they want passengers flying through these airports, from these airlines!

kdhurst380

Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:27 pm

Nobody flying these airlines cares about the airport. People who want nice airports are those eligible to use lounge facilities and such like.

If you're flying Ryanair or Wizz, you're there for a means to an end, not an airport experience. That's how they get away with it.

chiad

Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:30 pm

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 2):
I agree, it is a joke. It is like cattle going to the slaughterhouse.

Oh I can assure you .. it's not!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN0g13kMk6s

eurowings

Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:43 pm

Yes the "Basic Boarding Gates" are indeed, erm, basic. Really just a shed. However, the LCCs must love them because they have automatic gates which get locked 15 minutes prior to departure.

http://www.bud.hu/english/passengers/before_flight/check-in#bbg

Yeah but that is what those airlines and its customers want. CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP. The regular terminal in BUD is very nice

Thing is, LCCs make a up a very large proportion of traffic at places like BUD, Wizzair is the only large Hungarian passenger airline. The previous facilities were much nicer.

The facilities provided for LCCs at places like AMS, DUB and CPH are basic but clean and pleasant.
"Freddie Laker may be at peace with his Maker, but he is persona non grata with IATA."- HRH Duke of Edinburgh

stlgph

Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:44 pm

I just flew through Budapest last week and this past weekend. The check-in areas are more of a cattle call than the gate areas and even still I had/have very few complaints about the airport. Security was quick and easy.
I wish there was more to choose from for food selections. There's Burger King, KFC, a coffee shop and a cold sandwich stand. Hell, even a McDonald's would be nice. The restrooms close to the far A gates are closed for renovation and you don't find out until you get there and then have to make a U-turn and head all the way back.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

JimJupiter

Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:03 am

Quoting krisyyz (Reply 3):

I don't think BUD is thrilled about having this kind of set-up. But obviously, the LCCs are the ones who wanted fast boarding and a reduced cost of operations.

Quoting jsnww81 (Reply 5):
The saddest part of the whole story is that BUD spent good money remodeling the old 1920s-era T1 at Ferihegy in the early-mid 2000s specifically to serve the needs of low-cost carriers, and it provided a far nicer experience than these concrete sheds do.

T1 offered probably the classiest experience in a LCC terminal in Europe.
One is born, one runs up bills, one dies.

af773atmsp

Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:30 am

Flew DY OSL-BUD and the airport terminal felt basic but not bad. But I don't know what it's like for passengers flying out of BUD.
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788,74M
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK,KL,B6
Too many airports to fit in signature.

NASBWI

Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:42 am

Quoting Andy33 (Reply 1):
You think that's bad, try a Greek island airport like Kos in high summer! You have to queue outside for a chance to get into the check-in hall to queue to check-in, then queue again to put your hold baggage through the scanner yourself, then queue again for security....

Oh, and it's 40C outside, and the airconditioning doesn't work.
Admittedly not a capital city airport.

Granted, it's only once a week, but that sounds exactly like the day of the week that XL Airways flies to San Salvador (Bahamas) to bring in/take out the Club Med guests. It's a regular sh*t show according to people I know that work security at ZSA.
Fierce, Fabulous, and Flawless ;)

Travelmanager

Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:20 am

The title is misleading. I fly through BUD quarterly and it is not only a fantastic airport but one of the better passenger experiences in Europe. It is small and classy. The LCCs emerged and needed quick and cheap facilities to accommodate the growth they wanted. At some point, I expect that the modular design of the airport will necessitate adding an additional wing. At that time, hopefully they can accommodate all airlines in the main terminal.

I agree with the other comments regarding LCCs and them getting the cost structure they want.

PlaneInsomniac

Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:11 am

Quoting eurowings (Reply 10):
Yes the "Basic Boarding Gates" are indeed, erm, basic. Really just a shed. However, the LCCs must love them because they have automatic gates which get locked 15 minutes prior to departure.

http://www.bud.hu/english/passengers/before_flight/check-in#bbg

"Pedestrian boarding and disembarkation on the apron has been available since the spring of 2012 and was appreciated by passengers during the warmer period of the year.
[...]
Limited Restrooms are available next to the 2A BBG facilities but not in the 2B ones therefore we recommend you to take care of this one last stop from either terminal before passing through the electronic gates. As it is winter, you are encouraged to bring along some warm clothes as the BBG’s offer limited insulation."

What did I just read?

Mental note: Never EVER fly to Budapest. NEVER.
Am I cured? Slept 5 hours on last long-haul flight...

stlgph

Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:21 am

Quoting PlaneInsomniac (Reply 16):

please. Budapest is fantastic.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Faro

Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:47 am

The pics are less than thrilling yes but it all seems ordered and -at the very least- civilised.

And what's more important for the LCC's is that it is all very low-cost.

Makes sense IMHO.

Faro
The chalice not my son

Travelmanager

Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:50 am

Or, you could spend a little extra and fly with an airline that pays the cost to support an airport terminal and experience the very nice facilities at BUD. Boycotting an airport over the pricing and facilities of ULCCs is somewhat pathetic. All the major network airlines use regular gates.

chrisrad

Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:18 am

Quoting Travelmanager (Reply 19):

Or, you could spend a little extra and fly with an airline that pays the cost to support an airport terminal and experience the very nice facilities at BUD. Boycotting an airport over the pricing and facilities of ULCCs is somewhat pathetic. All the major network airlines use regular gates.

Agree with Travelmanager as someone who travels to BUD yearly, flying in with a full lservice airline the airport is very nice. I never understood the LCC's anyway, by the time I add all the options I want, the cost difference between the full service airlines and the LCC's are not that much different.
Welcome aboard Malaysia Airlines! Winner of Best Cabin Staff 2001,2002,2003,2004,2007,2009,2012

Kiwirob

Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:29 am

You ought to try Nikolayev, Odessa or Kiev airports before you slag off any other airport. The other truely shocking airport I've been to is Murmansk, Murmansk in winter isn't a nice place, the airport would have made a great location for the Battle of Hoth in The Empire Strikes Back.

[email protected]

Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:39 am

Quoting chrisrad (Reply 20):
I never understood the LCC's anyway, by the time I add all the options I want, the cost difference between the full service airlines and the LCC's are not that much different.

But you aren't considering average fares. Ryanair's average one-way fare including ancillaries is around EUR62 or AUD90 - for an average sector length of 776 miles. Of course, there are times when even the FSC will be priced lower; in such instances the decision is obvious.

[Edited 2016-04-20 03:40:06]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

EL-AL

Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:43 am

My latest trip report includes flying out of BUD's LCC gates:

Inaugurating FR From Israel: VDA-BUD-CPH (+IZ ATR) (by EL-AL Dec 2 2015 in Trip Reports)

I didn't find anything wrong with those gates. There were some empty seats at the waiting hall, and before entering the area there is a sign directing passengers to the near bathroom with indication that there are limited toilet facilities later on.

I rather fly cheap using one of those gates at a major airport, than using regular gates at an airport far away from the city.

If someone thinks that those gates aren't good enough for a passenger, he should pay more and fly a premium airline. One can't expect to pay 20% the price of a premium airline and getting exactly the same for it.
every day is a good day to fly

GE9X

Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:49 am

Quoting chrisrad (Reply 20):
I never understood the LCC's anyway, by the time I add all the options I want, the cost difference between the full service airlines and the LCC's are not that much different.

They key here is "by the time I add all the options I want". Of course price will creep up if you add all the goodies, that's the whole point of the LCC system and ancillary revenues. The benefits to LCC is for those millions of passengers who *don't* add the options. Do you really need seat selection, checked-in luggage, etc, for a weekend trip from London to Berlin? For most people the answer is no and so 50 quids on easyJet sounds much better than 200 quids on BA.

SCQ83

Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:53 am

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 22):
But you aren't considering average fares. Ryanair's average one-way fare including ancillaries is around EUR62 or AUD90 - for an average sector length of 776 miles. Of course, there are times when even the FSC will be priced lower; in such instances the decision is obvious.

There is a limit. As the text copied by PlaneInsomniac, that area does not provide the minimum human comfort (access to toilets, temperature-controlled area). That is IMO unacceptable. I.e. having people waiting in a cold room in winter in Budapest can lead to medical problems or sickness.

I don't think anyone is asking here to have an Starbucks or a caviar bar in that area, just minimum confort.

[email protected]

Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:05 am

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 25):
There is a limit. As the text copied by PlaneInsomniac, that area does not provide the minimum human comfort (access to toilets, temperature-controlled area). That is IMO unacceptable. I.e. having people waiting in a cold room in winter in Budapest can lead to medical problems or sickness.

I don't think anyone is asking here to have an Starbucks or a caviar bar in that area, just minimum confort.

What does that have to do with my reply?! I didn't say those weren't necessary.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Redd

Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:11 pm

After anything between 20 minutes and an hour in this environment, passengers are allowed access to the next waiting area, outside, where they spend another 5-20 minutes before being allowed to board.

I've flown WAW - BUD and back several times never having paid more than 50usd for a flight both ways. I've paid as much or more for cab rides. Actually the taxi from the airport to the city centre and back is more expensive than the plane tickets very often. I can deal with the walk of shame for that price.

SCQ83

Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:21 pm

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 26):
What does that have to do with my reply?! I didn't say those weren't necessary.

You are suggesting that because people paid less (which is not always the case) for a Ryanair ticket than let's say BA, they don't have the "right" to have basic human conforts (i.e. in room with healthy temperature, access to toilets, etc)

There is a basic infrastructure than an airport should provide no matter the price of the ticket you have paid.

ManchesterMAN

Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:31 pm

This is not the BUD I remember flying from on Norwegian a few months ago. I was impressed by the airy terminal and overall ambiance, much preferable to the departure from LGW! We boarded from a normal gate and didn’t end up walking through any long, narrow corridors.
Flown: A300,A319,A320,A321,A330,A340.A380,717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC9,DC10,MD11,MD80,F100,F50,ERJ,E190,CRJ,BAe146,Da

LTenEleven
Topic Author

Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:01 pm

I find it amazing that anyone considers that it can be acceptable for an airport to tell passengers to bring along warm clothes in winter. Passengers are paying a €20+ passenger service charge to use the facilities as part of their tickets. While volume/new route discounts apply, this will be higher than many other airports in Europe including STN, HHN, DUB, etc.

As for those people reporting how nice BUD is, you probably haven't flown from the basic gates in the middle of winter.

flyingturtle

Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:15 pm

Oh yes, I remember this "cattle shed" from my visit at BUD, when I flew with Wizzair. It was a negative surprise.

But well, I only had to wait about 30 minutes for my flight to GVA. Not a very bad thing. The fact that I couldn't see the alps on approach to GVA was more disappointing...

DAvid
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

robsaw

Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:15 pm

Flew EasyJet Budapest to Paris CDG last summer - was definitely an eye-opener once we realized what the boarding gates (cattle shed) were like. But the tickets were cheap, and had all the options you can get with EasyJet.

Skyeurope

Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:23 pm

Are these gates only used for Schengen flights or is there also a Non-Schengen part?

mats01776

Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:30 pm

I see that the LCC waiting area is located not in Budapest City, but, actually, in Pest County.

It makes perverse sense seeing how Pest treats the cattle class and vice versa.

NDiesel

Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:32 pm

Quoting ManchesterMAN (Reply 29):

This is not the BUD I remember flying from on Norwegian a few months ago. I was impressed by the airy terminal and overall ambiance, much preferable to the departure from LGW! We boarded from a normal gate and didn’t end up walking through any long, narrow corridors.

Same here - I flew BUD-OSL with DY back in late January and found the airport to be a delight (except the generic lounge which was a bit sad). Did DY just recently start using "The Shed?"
Delta MD-11 JFK-CDG - Upon sunrise I fell in love with aviation

eurowings

Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:39 pm

Quoting Skyeurope (Reply 33):
Are these gates only used for Schengen flights or is there also a Non-Schengen part?

I think there's two sheds; 2A BBG for Schengen departures and 2B BBG for Non-Schengen departures. Schengen passengers get treated to toilet facilities.   

Found another picture (not mine) for those interested: http://thegate.boardingarea.com/wp-c...ntent/uploads/2014/10/IMG_1071.jpg
"Freddie Laker may be at peace with his Maker, but he is persona non grata with IATA."- HRH Duke of Edinburgh

eurowings

Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:42 pm

Quoting NDiesel (Reply 35):
Same here - I flew BUD-OSL with DY back in late January and found the airport to be a delight (except the generic lounge which was a bit sad). Did DY just recently start using "The Shed?"

I don't think Norwegian uses the basic boarding gates, I saw them at a bus gate from the main terminal last year. I know Ryanair and Wizzair are the main users, with easyJet and Jet2 also using it for at least some departures. No idea about Vueling or Transavia.

[Edited 2016-04-20 09:45:29]

SCQ83

Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:50 pm

Btw non-Schengen area at BVA is not very different looking, but at least they had WCs and A/C. At least when I flew BVA-EDI about 3 years ago.

ozzietukker

Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:29 pm

Quoting eurowings (Reply 37):
I don't think Norwegian uses the basic boarding gates, I saw them at a bus gate from the main terminal last year. I know Ryanair and Wizzair are the main users, with easyJet and Jet2 also using it for at least some departures. No idea about Vueling or Transavia.

Norwegian is not using the basic boarding gates, only the general boarding gates. Transavia is using the basic boarding gates.
The main users are indeed Wizzair and Ryanair.

When you depart to Schengen destinations by above mentioned airlines you will have to use the basic gates, on quieter times then non-schengen basic gates are not opened and you will be either wakling directly in the plane or be bussed to the aircraft.

Personally I don't mind those boarding gates at all, I thought I would, but it is not that bad. Although I have to say I use it mainly for Wizz Air flights and with always having priority boarding my experience might not be what the usual unsuspecting passenger is experiencing.

[email protected]

Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:35 pm

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 28):

You are suggesting that because people paid less (which is not always the case) for a Ryanair ticket than let's say BA, they don't have the "right" to have basic human conforts (i.e. in room with healthy temperature, access to toilets, etc)

I didn't suggest anything of the sort. I contradicted another replier's comment that LCCs aren't inexpensively priced. When you consider average fares and average sector lengths, they are. I did not imply or state anything about what you get.

[Edited 2016-04-20 11:37:00]

Aeroflot777

Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:09 pm

Quoting Andy33 (Reply 1):
You think that's bad, try a Greek island airport like Kos in high summer!

One of my worst airport experiences to date is mid-July Heraklion. Just like you described and multiplied by 5.

Or just pay more and fly a different carrier :P There's an option for everyone.

Quoting KiwiRob (Reply 21):
Kiev airport

The new KBP terminal is overall not too shabby, but needs major improvement in the efficiency of its security process. The lines take way too long and are pure chaos during rush hour.

ROT371

Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:11 pm

Cann somebody explain how it works? Where do you check in, what is the purpose of that grey hall? If that's the terminal, whh is it remote?

Oh, and, can you board two flights at the same time?
AT42 A223 A318 A319 A320 A321 A21N A332 A333 A359 B734 B737 B738 B739 B74M B762 B77W E70 E75 E95

krisyyz

Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:27 pm

Quoting Rot371 (Reply 42):
Cann somebody explain how it works? Where do you check in, what is the purpose of that grey hall? If that's the terminal, whh is it remote?

Same procedure as any other flight, you check-in and go through security in the terminal. But instead of using a bridge, or taking a bus to the aircraft, you walk to the "holding area" on the apron, under the metal fixture. Once the flight is ready for boarding, you walk to the aircraft.

KrisYYZ

ua900

Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:53 pm

Passenger expectations may be too high since award winning Budapest airport celebrates these "new light-frame halls" as a big success:

According to the airport they used tents before that and the current structures are an improvement over the tents. Me, I like camping, but not at mid-sized commercial airports. Sign me up for a small GA field any day though  

BUD is a prime example of what drove MA out of business and continues to impact surviving EU carriers like LO to this day. Even larger players like LH struggle from one 4U to the next EW. My LH short haul paid upgrades now run as little as $100, never mind what's happening at LX for a couple Euros more.

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 2):
It is like cattle going to the slaughterhouse.
Quoting gilesdavies (Reply 7):
Wow, doesn't look great, resembles a cattle shed!
Quoting jsnww81 (Reply 5):
Now the comparatively spacious T1 is sitting empty while passengers are herded through metal and concrete sheds.
Quoting krisyyz (Reply 3):
But obviously, the LCCs are the ones who wanted fast boarding and a reduced cost of operations.
Yeah but that is what those airlines and its customers want. CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP.

It's what people and carriers wanted. Save a buck mentality at it's finest. They want to pay 20 Euros for a ticket but then complain that it's 3 Euros for a soda.

Quoting SpaceshipDC10 (Reply 6):
You get what you pay for.

2020: AMS | BRU | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | GUA | IAH | LAX | LIM | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SAL | SCL | SFO | TXL

AirbusA6

Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:54 pm

A shame that T1 can't be reused in some way. It seems sad to leave it empty while 2A and 2B are overcrowded and desperately need expansion.
it's the bus to stansted (now renamed National Express a6 to ruin my username)

26point2

Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:32 pm

All good stories but nothing as bad a American Airllines. I recently attempted to travel SFO-MIA--STT. A/A all f'd up in MIA and it took 24 hours to get to the next station. Initially bad weather with a one hour delay....OK...then crew times out...Really? . After a 1 hour delay? Can they not plan for these things? DO NOT fly AA. I will forever avoid also.

oldannyboy

Re: RE: Budapest - Worst Passenger Experience In Europe?

Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:26 pm

Travelmanager wrote:
The title is misleading. I fly through BUD quarterly and it is not only a fantastic airport but one of the better passenger experiences in Europe. It is small and classy. The LCCs emerged and needed quick and cheap facilities to accommodate the growth they wanted. At some point, I expect that the modular design of the airport will necessitate adding an additional wing. At that time, hopefully they can accommodate all airlines in the main terminal.

I agree with the other comments regarding LCCs and them getting the cost structure they want.

Agree fully. Nothing to fault BUD itself. It's the LCC wanting easy, cheap and FAST boarding/deplaning.

oldannyboy

Re: Budapest - Worst Passenger Experience In Europe?

Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:38 pm

It's really not as bad as you are making it sound... I have flown in/out of BUD several times recently, and actually the (real) Terminal experience (Terminal 2) is very good, with plenty of eating options (overpriced, yes), seats aplenty (unlike STN, for example), good views of the apron, and a fast security check. Beats STN hands down any day, any minute. You have time to enjoy a decent, clean, welcoming main terminal experience, with a very affordable duty-free. It's only at boarding time that, yes, you do walk out of the main terminal building, and following a covered path you end-up in a hangar-like waiting hall, where you queue up for final boarding. This facility is used by Ryanair, Easyjet, Wizz, Transavia, Germanwings, etc. Yes, it's not great, but still bearable. In my experience the wait has never gone beyond the very last 20 minutes prior to boarding...so nothing as extreme as you make it sound.
It's part of the LCC concept, and experience. Make peace with it, or travel the likes of BA, LH and LX. When travelling via BUD I try to sit and wait
in the open terrace bar, that offers great views of the apron, and go to the gate only at the very last minute, so no issues really...
I for one, as much as I like "more civilized" experiences for long-haul, regularly fly FR for a pittance, and find it perfectly adequate for my needs, for frequent, short haul flying. They are safe, reliable, punctual, you know what to expect (= consistency) and offer exactly if not better legroom than BA or LH. The overall airport experience might be what it is sometimes, but you must remember how much you've paid for your ticket....

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos