kaitak
Topic Author

Irish 6/16: Dreams With Wings

Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:18 pm

Good afternoon folks ...

As we are at the 200 mark with the previous thread, I thought it might be a good time to start our 6th thread of 2016.

Here's the link to 5/16, should anyone wish to refer back: Irish Aviation Thread 5/16 (by 777ER Mar 25 2016 in Civil Aviation)

It's been a very interesting thread, with two very positive developments:
- The US DOT has finally approved Norwegian's plan to link the US to Cork, so hopefully that will take flight later this year; it's a pity it's too late for the whole season, but later is better than never.
- The new runway at Dublin is finally a "go". 3,110m and (hopefully) operational by 2020. 16/34 to remain in operation

There have been a few other interesting developments:
- Traffic figures continue to look good, with growth across all markets
- Ryanair to trial connections with Norwegian via LGW, initially - maybe more to follow?
- MO'L admits existing FR model has a limited shelf life, hence plans to be "nicer"
- Rumours of a fifth 752 for EI next year, plus new destinations
- Willie Walsh talks up possibility of a China route for Aer Lingus
- Potential good news for Bombardier in NI, with expected DL order for 125 rumoured. Fingers crossed!

This looks like being a very good Summer, with increased capacity from several carriers and TUI/Thomson operating a 787 on long haul from DUB.

Over to you!

[Edited 2016-04-20 09:21:53]

OA260

RE: Irish 6/16: Dreams With Wings

Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:25 pm

Quoting kaitak (Thread starter):
- MO'L admits existing FR model has a limited shelf life, hence plans to be "nicer"

Have to say after a few recent short hops across the Irish sea they are much better than they used to be. Less stupid rules to cope with and a bit more professional. Great new interiors and legroom too on the new deliveries.

TUI/Thomson operating a 787 on long haul from DUB.

That will be interesting to see how it does. Seems also the Falcon brand is close to being a brand into the history books as TUI will be used more and more.

Cant remember if it was mentioned in the last thread but the DUB-BJV charter flight has been axed due to lack of demand.
---

Looks like DUB may get back a link to LCA. Although Im very cautious about this airline !

Cobalt, the Cyprus’ based airline, said that it plans to launch its flight schedule on June 1 which will include flights to London, Paris, Manchester, East Midlands, Glasgow, Cardiff, Dublin, Beirut, Tel-Aviv, Tehran, Athens, Thessaloniki, Iraklio and Chania.

http://cyprusbusinessmail.com/?p=24869

[Edited 2016-04-20 09:36:55]

kaitak
Topic Author

Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:42 pm

Aer Lingus to move away from saints' names for its aircraft?

http://www.breakingnews.ie/discover/...ng-one-of-their-planes-730295.html

Eagleboy

Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:41 pm

Quoting kaitak (Reply 2):

Aer Lingus to move away from saints' names for its aircraft?

About 4-6 weeks late on the bandwagon to be harsh....

- Rumours of a fifth 752 for EI next year,

Are we really going to use joe.ie as a source, even just for "rumours"?

EI320

Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:07 pm

Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 3):
Are we really going to use joe.ie as a source

Agreed - junk websites such as that one somehow manage to make the Indo seem like a haven of quality, investigative journalism.

JAmie2k9

Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:29 pm

On an un completed draft 2017 schedule I saw a few weeks ago Cancun was returning in 2017 (x6 - same as 2016) but some date changes (from first week in June) however Jamaica was only down for 2 or 3 weeks in June and not 6. Think there was reference to a slow uptake a few months ago.

Hopefully what ever happens they will be an increase, would Florida be a contender in 2017 prehaps. Will likely know whats happening by end of June when 2017 should be on sale.

shamrock350

Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:30 pm

Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 3):
About 4-6 weeks late on the bandwagon to be harsh....

Harsh indeed. The news on Monday was that the British Government were about to weigh in and stop the naming, finally putting an end to Boaty McBoatface for good.

A simple photoshop while the story was hot again and they've got nearly 1.8k retweets, 2.2k favourites and a few articles for themselves, not bad.

Well I've enjoyed flying them a lot this past year, cabin crew are usually great and the flights are almost always on time. The new cabins look good and the new uniforms are very nice, the new on board menus will be a big improvement too.

- Rumours of a fifth 752 for EI next year, plus new destinations

I think this was a rumour long before the joe.ie story... we'll just have to wait and see. New destinations seem inevitable, didn't Aer Lingus actually say they'd announce new North American routes in July?

OA260

Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:42 pm

Quoting shamrock350 (Reply 6):
the new on board menus will be a big improvement too.

Well we shall see. I will report back. At the moment they have a terrible BOB product something that airlines like EI IB SK beat them on. Their hot meals which I have sampled are dreadful.

shamrock350

Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:00 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 7):
Well we shall see. I will report back. At the moment they have a terrible BOB product something that airlines like EI IB SK beat them on. Their hot meals which I have sampled are dreadful.

Well it surely can't get any worse than microwave chips, burgers and hotdogs. I'll never forget a BLT that was so stale I thought it had been toasted!

OA260

Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:05 pm

Quoting shamrock350 (Reply 8):
Well it surely can't get any worse than microwave chips, burgers and hotdogs. I'll never forget a BLT that was so stale I thought it had been toasted!

The sweet and sour chicken was not much better either. If they get the BOB sorted with reasonable prices and decent offerings then they will have come a long way. They did mention pre orders sometime ago. I know I have gone through the EI menu 20 times over at this stage but they still have one of the better ones despite my annoyance at the lack of pre orders other than the breakfast.

teahan

Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:23 pm

EI's DUB-BCN had a 30% load this evening, clearly the impact of having 3 airlines on the route.

When will the new FR menus be introduced?
Goodbye SR-LX MD-11 / 6th of March 1991 to the 31st of October 2004

Eirules

Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:35 pm

I've a question I'm sure someone here will know the answer to.

I'm BA Silver (oneworld sapphire). I know this gives me lounge access when flying EI but does it give any other benefits? If I was travelling transatlantic in Y would I get extra baggage or priority boarding? Will any of this change with the introduction of Aer Club?
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

Aer Lingus

Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:42 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 1):
Have to say after a few recent short hops across the Irish sea they are much better than they used to be. Less stupid rules to cope with and a bit more professional. Great new interiors and legroom too on the new deliveries.

I flew 5-day old EI-FRE on Monday DUB-EDI and, being my first experience of the new interior, I was impressed but a little disappointed the portion of the seat in front that touches the knees/shins is still hard. Norwegian's new sky interior is still ahead on comfort and legroom. But its a minor gripe as overall its a big improvement. Now, if they just cut back more on announcements ...

Eagleboy

Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:56 am

New destinations seem inevitable, didn't Aer Lingus actually say they'd announce new North American routes in July?

I thought that was stated, cant seem to recall the source for this statement however?

Quoting OA260 (Reply 7):
At the moment they have a terrible BOB product something that airlines like EI IB SK beat them on. Their hot meals which I have sampled are dreadful.

Well EI may have a better menu, but they seem to fail on stock levels far too often over the last 12 months.

OA260

Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:59 am

Update from Falcon/TUI on the longhaul flights :

MEXICO & JAMAICA

Our longhaul programme to Mexico & Jamaica will be on sale again for Summer ‘17. However there have been some changes to the length of the programmes (please see below).

Mexico :

Six Week Programme : Running from the 07th June 2017 to the 12th of July 2017. (14 nights only)

Jamaica :

Two Week programme: Running from the 08th of June 2017 to the 15th of June 2017. (14 nights only)

DREAMLINER

Direct flights to Mexico & Jamaica will be available from Dublin Airport on the Thomson Airways 787 Dreamliner aircraft. The Dreamliner comes with benefits like bigger seats, mood lighting to help adjust to new time zones & improved cabin pressure to help reduce jetlag. Premium Club upgrade will be available at an additional charge from €300pp
----

Flying program :

From Dublin

• Majorca (Sat, Tue x 2, Wed)
• Ibiza (Thu)
• Costa Dorada (Fri & Tue x 2)
• Costa del Sol (Sun)
• Algarve (Sun)
• Lanzarote (Mon & Thu)
• Tenerife (Fri)
• Gran Canaria (Thu)
• Kos (Sat)
• Rhodes (Wed)
• Crete (Sun)
• Corfu (Fri)
• Zakynthos (Tue)
• Bulgaria (Mon)
• Mexico (Wed)
• Jamaica (Thu)

From Cork

• Majorca (Sat & Tue)
• Costa Dorada (Tue)
• Costa del Sol (Sun)
• Algarve (Sun)
• Lanzarote (Thu) From Shannon
• Majorca (Sat)
• Costa Dorada (Fri)
• Lanzarote (Mon)

From Knock
Costa Dorada (Tue)

OA260

Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:12 am

London-Nice-Los Angeles-DONEGAL  

Donegal Airport voted one of world's Top 10 scenic landings

Donegal Airport has been voted one of the world's most beautiful approaches in a global poll of travel experts and fans.

Malta International Airport topped the poll, conducted by private jet booking service PrivateFly, while Donegal placed seventh - ahead of far more famous approaches including London City, Los Angeles LAX and St. Maarten in the Caribbean.

The poll saw thousands of people vote on a shortlist chosen by a panel of international travel experts, including ex-New York Times travel writer Joe Sharkey.

PrivateFly's 10 Best Scenic Airport Landings:

Malta International Airport, Malta
Nice Cote D'Azur Airport, France
Queenstown Airport, New Zealand
Barra Airport, Scotland, UK
Saba Airport (Juancho E Yrausquin), Caribbean
Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport, Canada
Donegal Airport, Ireland
St Maarten Airport (Princess Juliana International), Caribbean
Los Angeles International Airport, USA
London City Airport, UK

http://www.independent.ie/life/trave...p-10-scenic-landings-34643457.html

aerdingus

Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:24 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 15):
London-Nice-Los Angeles-DONEGAL  

Donegal Airport voted one of world's Top 10 scenic landings

Donegal Airport has been voted one of the world's most beautiful approaches in a global poll of travel experts and fans.

I can vouch for this having flown it last year on the FlyBe S340. Unreal, over the Atlantic, you see Errigal, and you come in over the beach...so wild and beautiful!
A306 A313 A319 A320 A321 A333 A346 A359 ATR42 ATR72 B734 B737 B738 B744 B772 B789 C152 MD80 RJ85 S340

JAmie2k9

Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:29 pm

Harsh indeed. The news on Monday was that the British Government were about to weigh in and stop the naming, finally putting an end to Boaty McBoatface for good.

A simple photoshop while the story was hot again and they've got nearly 1.8k retweets, 2.2k favourites and a few articles for themselves, not bad.

Indeed the picture was shown on a Canadian news channel, would say it's a big win for them!

OA260

Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:36 pm

Quoting aerdingus (Reply 16):

Still need to tick off that route seems easier these days with a 3 hour turn around on EIR. Maybe something for the Summer  

---

Aer Lingus plane reportedly dodges collision with drone over Paris

An Aer Lingus plane narrowly missed a collision with a drone on approach to Paris's Charles De Gaulle airport yesterday, according to reports.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...ith-drone-over-paris-34647768.html

[Edited 2016-04-21 09:45:00]

321neo

Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:02 pm

Superjet shared this image of a half-painted WX Superjet on Twitter earlier this evening. They seem to have since deleted the tweet but managed to get a screenshot!  

OA260

Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:24 pm

Quoting 321neo (Reply 19):

You and a few others it seems. The instant nature of social media means its on a few places already LOL.. Maybe someone told them to take it down.  

KIRFlyer

Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:25 am

I've just read on an another thread, that now NAI(or whatever it's called) has been granted the appropriate rights to start flights from Ireland to the US, they will be starting SNN-BOS & JFK(?) in 2017.

Is anyone a tiny tiny bit worried about how this might impact EI ops from SNN to BOS and JFK.

I know I'm playing devils advocate here, but with the IAG deal gone through, and they wishing to turn DUB into a reliever hub for LHR by adding more US destinations, those 2 757's would be very useful in DUB.

321neo

Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:28 pm

Quoting KIRFlyer (Reply 21):
I've just read on an another thread, that now NAI(or whatever it's called) has been granted the appropriate rights to start flights from Ireland to the US, they will be starting SNN-BOS & JFK(?) in 2017.

Is anyone a tiny tiny bit worried about how this might impact EI ops from SNN to BOS and JFK.

I know I'm playing devils advocate here, but with the IAG deal gone through, and they wishing to turn DUB into a reliever hub for LHR by adding more US destinations, those 2 757's would be very useful in DUB.

It's certainly possible. IAG have indicated that SNN, ORK and BHD EI ops are non-core operations and it makes perfect sense that excessive competitive pressures on any of the marginal routes from these airports may result in such capacity moving to DUB.

AmricanShamrok

Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:11 pm

Yes, I have concerns about this. The Shannon Group has been convinced for some time now that extra capacity is needed on SNN-BOS during peak season but it's bound to have a negative impact on EI ops if it goes ahead. As for SNN-NYC, I don't think there is room for another operator on the route (although happy to be proven wrong).

Now, EI have the brand recognition and long established presence at SNN behind them. Not many people around here will have heard of D8 so I'd imagine they'd have to engage an aggressive advertising strategy to promote themselves.

We also have to bear in mind that SNN cannot "turn away" carriers looking to start certain routes. Posters on some other forums seem to think that this is what they should be doing, regardless of EU competition legislation.

[Edited 2016-04-22 07:05:54]

JAmie2k9

Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:23 pm

It would of been the prefect EI get out of jail free card in relation to SNN some years ago and under Government ownership however there is nothing really keeping them at SNN now other than they are making money. If DY come would expect no more B767 ops but the existing services might compete fairly well.

It would be very counterproductive of SNN management to do deals with DY and I will be the first to say "I told you so" when the s**t hits the fan. It's not just Aer Lingus but US carriers at the airport will be furious.

SNN-MAN was destroyed with a up to 3 daily schedule and then replaced by daily and now 5 weekly. Are they really going to make such a mistake again. Let DY come but have them pay normal fee's as it's not a "new route" and shouldn't be given discounts.

On a general note can DY make it work from both airports profitably?

JAmie2k9

Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:28 pm

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 23):
. The Shannon Group has been convinced for some time now that extra capacity is needed on SNN-BOS during peak season but it's bound to have a negative impact on EI ops if it goes ahead. As for SNN-NYC, I don't think there is room for another operator on the route (although happy to be proven wrong).

Wonder did they take the same view on MAN!

I'm not sure they are the best to judge demand when they have no data in relation to yield on the route.

OA260

Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:33 pm

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 23):

We also have to bear in mind that SNN cannot "turn away" carriers looking to start certain routes.

For sure anyone who thinks that if DY come knocking on the door to operate out of SNN they should be shunned they are naive and understand little about competition in this new world !!

SNN should get what it can. Maybe the DY model and product would suit SNN especially in non peak periods. I can easily see DY having a presence at DUB ORK SNN in the next few years and making a profit on all three.

kaitak
Topic Author

Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:54 pm

I can see DY making a big push into the Irish market; their ambitions out of LGW are very aggressive (talk of 50 787s and around 100 narrowbodies) and I can see them coming into the DUB market as well. They are soon to order 10 more 789s; I can see ORK as only the start.

I would think EI would be quite worried about its intentions.

aerdingus

Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:15 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 18):
Still need to tick off that route seems easier these days with a 3 hour turn around on EIR. Maybe something for the Summer  

Yeah it'd be lovely. Rent a car up there or take a taxi to the next town, don't roam the roads like a weirdo like I did haha
A306 A313 A319 A320 A321 A333 A346 A359 ATR42 ATR72 B734 B737 B738 B744 B772 B789 C152 MD80 RJ85 S340

321neo

Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:20 pm

Quoting kaitak (Reply 27):
I would think EI would be quite worried about its intentions.

Shouldn't EI be in a good position to compete?

The EI Y product is pretty bare bones as it is.

On a related note, I recently came across photos of the EI A330 Y cabins. The PTV product installed has become quite outdated. With SK et al at the top of EI though, I doubt there's any chance of an improvement any time soon.

Eagleboy

Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:06 pm

I can see DY making a big push into the Irish market; their ambitions out of LGW are very aggressive (talk of 50 787s and around 100 narrowbodies)

Does LGW have the room for such an expansion?

Quoting 321neo (Reply 29):
On a related note, I recently came across photos of the EI A330 Y cabins. The PTV product installed has become quite outdated. With SK et al at the top of EI though, I doubt there's any chance of an improvement any time soon

New A330's due in August and beyond will have newer version of the Panasonic IFE and new slimmer seating. (EX3 IFE and same seats as IB on their A330's)
This is of course IAG spec rather than any investment from SK and his Exec team.

Cipango

Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:44 pm

Quoting 321neo (Reply 22):
It's certainly possible. IAG have indicated that SNN, ORK and BHD EI ops are non-core operations and it makes perfect sense that excessive competitive pressures on any of the marginal routes from these airports may result in such capacity moving to DUB.

Business wise, this makes sense. But if EI drop SNN-BOS/JFK this will only give the Clare TD's ammunition.

I can see DY making a big push into the Irish market

Yes. Good for the consumer, bad for EI. If they were to enter the Irish market hopefully they would target new routes such as LAS, BKK and MIA rather than trash yields for competing carriers by competing directly on core routes.
Let's fly! Unless it's on a CRJ 200, then I'll stay down here.

JAmie2k9

Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:43 pm

Quoting Cipango (Reply 31):
Business wise, this makes sense. But if EI drop SNN-BOS/JFK this will only give the Clare TD's ammunition.

Except they can do nothing about it now!

Hopefully whenever SNN appoint a new CEO he has a brain and does not go offering 90% discounts for DY as it will not end well. You will always see EI retract and defend DUB a lot more than SNN.

CEO is all mouth no trousers, even with a second runway it will never happen. Anyway we still don't know if long haul is profitable, only reasons it might be now is fuel prices.

Quoting 321neo (Reply 29):
Shouldn't EI be in a good position to compete?

On paper yes however it would lead to major falls in profits and they could become eroded quickly. EI's profits are almost entirely driven by long haul, short haul accounts for little and we all know why.

One to watch this summer is how BA do with the return to LGW-JFK.

[Edited 2016-04-22 16:46:12]

styles9002

Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:13 am

It is always refreshing to see the green poms poms come out on this thread. Everyone is so concerned about EI and what they will do ex-SNN if and when Norwegian starts service.

EI has zero loyalty to SNN and only operates routes that are profitable. If they can continue to do so with any eventual Norwegian service they will; if they can't then they won't. I fully expect the airport authority to do what it considers is in its best interest with respect to potential operators.

SNN doesn't owe anything to EI and EI doesn't owe anything to SNN. They are business partners where it mutually benefits them and that is the extent of it.

If Norwegian can provide a better service for SNN, then they will succeed. If not, they will leave. I, for one, will be happy to have more than one non-stop option between Boston and Ireland, where EI has been laughing all the way to the bank for years.
It is what it is.

Eagleboy

Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:44 am

Quoting Reply 33):
SNN doesn't owe anything to EI and EI doesn't owe anything to SNN. They are business partners where it mutually benefits them and that is the extent of it.

And that is the reality that exists today. No ones hand is going to be held by anyone else

321neo

Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:08 am

Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 30):
New A330's due in August and beyond will have newer version of the Panasonic IFE and new slimmer seating. (EX3 IFE and same seats as IB on their A330's)
This is of course IAG spec rather than any investment from SK and his Exec team

So, there will be four different economy products on EI longhaul:

- standard interior on 4 A333 and 3 A332
- modernised version on A332 EI-EWR with USB power, no AC outlets
- new seats and Panasonic IFE on the new A333s coming this autumn.
- B757 economy product, no WIFI

Gotta love an inconsistent product offering.

[Edited 2016-04-23 04:21:09]

JAmie2k9

Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:21 am

Quoting Reply 33):

They don't however the airport have responsibility to the region to conduct good business and not make a balls of routes such as what happened to MAN. Given BOS is the best EI route from the airport operating daily most of they year, I'm sure they wouldn't be long coming back begging to EI if they were to close up T/A ops at the airport.

DY is welcome but there should be a level playing field, SNN have form giving FR rock bottom deals in 2014 and early 2000 which resulted in no airlines coming to SNN but next to all of them exiting SNN and look what happened then!

AmricanShamrok

Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:30 am

Quoting 321neo (Reply 35):
B757 economy product, no WIFI

Does anyone know why EI aren't installing Wi-Fi on the 757s?

Quoting Jamie2k9 (Reply 36):
SNN have form giving FR rock bottom deals in 2014

How do you know what kind of a deal was done between SNN and FR in 2014? Michael O'Leary was quoted at the time as saying the primary motivation for FR launching new routes was the abolition of the air travel tax.

OA260

Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:13 pm

Quoting Reply 33):
If Norwegian can provide a better service for SNN, then they will succeed. If not, they will leave. I, for one, will be happy to have more than one non-stop option between Boston and Ireland, where EI has been laughing all the way to the bank for years.
Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 34):
And that is the reality that exists today. No ones hand is going to be held by anyone else

JAmie2k9

Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:17 pm

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 37):
How do you know what kind of a deal was done between SNN and FR in 2014? Michael O'Leary was quoted at the time as saying the primary motivation for FR launching new routes was the abolition of the air travel tax.

MOL let it slip soon after the announcement!

AmricanShamrok

Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:58 pm

PK711 (KHI-LHE-MAN-JFK) made an emergency landing at SNN today during the MAN-JFK leg of the flight. Believed to be a technical issue. The aircraft involved is a 77L. Indications are that the flight will continue to JFK later this evening.

hispanola

Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:51 pm

They're so irritating. Why do they have to be everywhere and why does everyone applaud their arrival? The same goes for Ryanair in other EU countries. I just hope EI, FR, RE, and WX can come up with a good counter attack to push them back out.

Sorry, far too many emotions  

Emotions aside, I think EI should do the opposite of consolidation in DUB and instead expand BHD and SNN. Perhaps they could force Norwegian to stay in ORK.
✈️

Cipango

Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:08 am

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 37):
Does anyone know why EI aren't installing Wi-Fi on the 757s?

As you know they're leased and adding Wi-Fi is pretty costly - I think around €2/300,000 per unit. As they're going back to lessor in around 4 years time, EI mightn't see it as being in their best interest.

BrianDromey

Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:17 am

Quoting 321neo (Reply 35):
Gotta love an inconsistent product offer

It's minor differences. I've overheard conversations where passengers can't tell the difference between an AT7 and an A320, this was on-board! Once Aer Lingus is painted on the side, most people are neither able nor inclined to tell the difference. The point is that there is a fantastic lie-flat product in J and AVOD across the fleet. It's minor detail. BA have at least 5 Y class seats across their fleet - A321mid-haul, 767(refurbished), 747/772(AVOD), 747(Refurbished seats, Panasonic AVOD), 788, 789, A380/77W/Refurbished 772. There is a huge gap between the original 777/747 product and the latest 77W offering.

Quoting Jamie2k9 (Reply 36):

DY is welcome but there should be a level playing field, SNN have form giving FR rock bottom deals in 2014 and early 2000 which resulted in no airlines coming to SNN but next to all of them exiting SNN and look what happened then!

If airlines are willing to come in and loose money hand over foot to gain market share there's not a great deal the authority can do. I'm very concerned that the Irish market is unattractive to new entrants, Ryanair and EI are a formidable force.

321neo

Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:31 am

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 43):
BA have at least 5 Y class seats across their fleet - A321mid-haul, 767(refurbished), 747/772(AVOD), 747(Refurbished seats, Panasonic AVOD), 788, 789, A380/77W/Refurbished 772. There is a huge gap between the original 777/747 product and the latest 77W offering

The cumulative fleet size of the types you mention is approx 130+ aircraft

Come this Autum the EI long-haul fleet will total only 14 aircraft (approx. 10% of the number BA have), yet there will be 4 different cabin products.

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 43):
I've overheard conversations where passengers can't tell the difference between an AT7 and an A320

TBH one can find frequent posts on social media of people boarding EI ATRs who fearfully share photos of the aircraft with descriptions such as "ancient", "propellor plane", "1950s" etc. etc. Of course, as we all know, the ATRs are the most modern aircraft in the fleet but for many pax, once they see those props they often ain't happy!

As a matter of fact, a number of incidents have been documented on other forums online recently regarding a problem whereby connecting passengers flying US-DUB-UK, with the UK leg operated by an ATR, have been separated from both check-in and hand luggage on occasions where the ATR luggage bin is already at capacity and their hand luggage doesn't fit into the smaller overhead lockers. Both cabin and cargo/luggage space on an ATR is severely reduced compared to the available space on an A330.

On a further related note, an additional ATR 72-600, LN. 1325, is on order for delivery to RE.

http://www.jethros.org.uk/fleets/fle..._listings/aer_lingus_regional.html

[Edited 2016-04-24 01:52:08]

BrianDromey

Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:19 am

Quoting 321neo (Reply 44):

The cumulative fleet size of the types you mention is approx 130+ aircraft

But there is a genuine inconstancy in the BA product in terms of comfort, decor and at-seat amenities. Having the same AVOD content on a newer version of the same system and slightly thinner seats in the same layout shouldn't keep anyone awake at night. I don't really see your point, if Im honest.
As for EIR and the "50s propellor planes". I'm well aware a proportion of people don't like them, I know someone who would rather drive to Liverpool to take FR rather than go on EIR from MAN or LBA. Conversely loads suggest there is plenty of passengers who don't care. Indeed I've herd of plenty who have used EI and EIR from the UK regions to the US and they have been very impressed with the aircraft, transfer experience at DUB and, of course, US pre-clearance.

Eirules

Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:16 am

Quoting 321neo (Reply 44):

I flew UA last year DEN-YYZ and onwards with AC to DUB. The UA flight was on a CRJ and they gate checked much of the hand luggage due to limited capacity. There were no complaints, the passengers seemed to know this was the norm
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

321neo

Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:59 am

Quoting EIRules (Reply 46):
I flew UA last year DEN-YYZ and onwards with AC to DUB. The UA flight was on a CRJ and they gate checked much of the hand luggage due to limited capacity. There were no complaints, the passengers seemed to know this was the norm

Agreed, it should not pose any problems, but if there are any reoccurring problems at EI lets hope such a solution is found.

Eagleboy

Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:07 pm

I would agree that the calling it "4 different Y products" on 14 aircraft is a bit of a stretch.
The seats are same on all A330s, IFE content is exactly the same, meal options and service is exactly the same.
Plug vs USB charger is inconvenient for laptop users, but not a huge issue on midhaul flight.
WiFi is a low % uptake purchasable option, again more an issue for J class pax on Westbound flights than Y pax.

Cipango

Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:31 pm

"Dublin Airport Tops European League For Self-Connecting Passengers."

Dublin Airport is Europe’s most popular airport for passengers choosing to self-connect, according to a new study by the global travel search engine Skyscanner.

Data from Skyscanner shows the top airports that travellers are choosing to self-connect through in Europe, the Americas, and Asia, with Dublin, Los Angeles’ LAX and Singapore’s Changi airport topping the list for their respective regions.

Self-connecting air passengers design their own itinerary, travelling on two separate tickets, often with different carriers in order to save money or to enable them to make stop-overs en route.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/29/...ue-for-self-connecting-passengers/

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos