Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

United1
Topic Author

United Releases A New Safety Video

Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:36 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZvjRQS5CMM

This one is Team USA themed for the 2016 Olympics....looks good and I am glad they are continuing to refresh the safety videos on a fairly regular basis.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

smi0006

RE: United Releases A New Safety Video

Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:20 am

Swing and a miss for me. Just naff, and awkward to watch.

EA CO AS

Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:33 am

I was really hoping to like it.

I didn't.

Oh well...
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

A332DTW

Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:38 pm

I thought it was neat. Well done by UA.

bgm

Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:48 pm

OP posted the wrong video. This is the new video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFjVbiPzwpI

United1
Topic Author

Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:19 pm

Quoting bgm (Reply 4):

OP posted the wrong video. This is the new video:

Haha....yeah no
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

intotheair

Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:29 pm

I'm starting to get really tired of all these cutesy attempts at a safety video, especially from UA. I miss the days when some crew members would come on and tell you everything you needed to know over a smooth bed of Rhapsody in Blue in three minutes or less.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 7M9 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90 ——— AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

United1
Topic Author

Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:34 pm

Quoting intotheair (Reply 6):

I'm starting to get really tired of all these cutesy attempts at a safety video, especially from UA.

That seems to be the trend these days....VX, DL quite a few use "cute" to sell safety.

caleb1

Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:02 pm

Quoting United1 (Reply 7):
That seems to be the trend these days....VX, DL quite a few use "cute" to sell safety

This seems to be the trend in so many areas of our society today. People would rather be entertained than informed, even with something as serious as safety. Take a look at what has happened to local newscasts in the last 15-20 years. I believe the term is "Infotainment." Having said that, although the new video is a little too "busy" for me, I don't despise it.

[Edited 2016-04-21 16:05:40]

jetblastdubai

Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:19 pm

I'm starting to get really tired of all these cutesy attempts at a safety video

I'm with you there. For all the money and time spent on making the safety demonstrations entertaining etc., I'd be very happy with a live demonstration that takes half the time. Additionally you're actually more apt to look at the FA that might have to help you get off a burning plane at some point.

Even the best safety videos get very boring after you've seen them a few times.
It sounds like thunder but the way this year is going, it could be Godzilla!

rcair1

Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:22 pm

While it was not something I'd go posting on facebook with "you gotta see this" - it certainly wasn't bad and it had some fun parts. But - everybody is a critic.

Quoting caleb1 (Reply 8):
People would rather be entertained than informed, even with something as serious as safety.

Nothing wrong with being entertained AND informed. If adding entertainment causes more people to be informed - that's a plus.
rcair1

zeke

Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:24 pm

Have other airlines done similar ?

Thought I saw another airline a while back do a sports related safety video ?
“Don't be a show-off. Never be too proud to turn back. There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots.” E. Hamilton Lee, 1949

United1
Topic Author

Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:37 pm

Quoting zeke (Reply 11):
Thought I saw another airline a while back do a sports related safety video

NZ probably....they did a rugby one.

TripleA

Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:39 pm

I'm starting to get really tired of all these cutesy attempts at a safety video, especially from UA.

The new Air France A380 safety video is pretty bad too. It's a fashion-themed one and IMO really stupid, although I know Paris is the fashion capital or whatever. Sometimes I think they try too hard. Although I did like the Virgin America one.

Ytraveller

Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:44 pm

United1
Topic Author

Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:48 pm

Quoting TripleA (Reply 13):
Although I did like the Virgin America one.

Really? The VX one makes me cringe....

TripleA

Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:01 am

Quoting United1 (Reply 15):
Really? The VX one makes me cringe....

It didn't bother me. One safety video I really liked was the America West one. I always thought it was cool how they actually showed the process of opening the A319/A320 doors and overwing exits.

And as for this United one, at least they are showing their Team USA support!

United1
Topic Author

Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:22 am

Quoting TripleA (Reply 16):
And as for this United one, at least they are showing their Team USA support!

Indeed....every olympic UA usually comes out with an ad involving Team USA. UA does a lot of work with them both during the olympics and in between fying the athletes and gear around. There is even a dedicated Olympic reservation/help desk for Team USA....

smi0006

Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:27 am

I migh be biased, but I think the latest one from QF is the best. And yet watching there isn't a hole lot different to the US one, perhaps the UA humour and music is a little forced? QF I find Original, professional, informative, showing real australians- a stark contrast to many previous shockers they've had. I Also like on QF and VA without without the video the crew will also go through the full demo in the asile. I think it's classy.

http://youtu.be/fhbXFHrDmTg

I must say I think NZ safety videos are the most annoying, fun to watch once, after that. The crew look embarrassed standing up whilst they play.

RyanairGuru

Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:56 am

Quoting zeke (Reply 11):

Qantas did a really awful one for the 2012 Olympics (much more naff than this one) and then followed it up with a cricket related safety demonstration that was even worse.

NZ did their Rugby World Cup one which I personally wasn't keen on either. This one from United isn't too bad as cliched safety demonstrations go.

Quoting smi0006 (Reply 18):

I hate to say it but I really don't like the latest one from Qantas. I really had hoped it would grow on me, but it didn't.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:38 am

This is actually not a good safety video no matter how entertaining. Some of the examples:

The aisle path lights are not accurately depicted. Since they would be used in a dark and smoke filled cabin, it is essential that the video show them as they would be actually seen.

The part showing the emergency oxygen masks do not show the plastic rebreather bag but only the yellow cup. This is sufficiently inaccurate to cause confusion.

The demonstration of the use of the inflatable life vest is also misleading. While the dialogue explains pulling the red tab to inflate the vest, it also instructs to blow into the red tube as an alternate method. The person in the demonstration does not blow into the tube but blows at it like he is blowing out a candle. This action will not inflate the vest. The demonstration should show a person actually performing functions exactly as they must be done.

To do otherwise negates the purpose of a video demonstration over written instructions or cartoon pictures.

nyc2theworld

Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:04 am

Quoting 113312 (Reply 20):
The part showing the emergency oxygen masks do not show the plastic rebreather bag but only the yellow cup. This is sufficiently inaccurate to cause confusion.

This is a 787 safety video. Do the 787s have the rebreather bags that customers can see? If not, I can see why they didn't include it.

The demonstration of the use of the inflatable life vest is also misleading. While the dialogue explains pulling the red tab to inflate the vest, it also instructs to blow into the red tube as an alternate method. The person in the demonstration does not blow into the tube but blows at it like he is blowing out a candle. This action will not inflate the vest. The demonstration should show a person actually performing functions exactly as they must be done.

During a live safety demonstration FAs do the exact same thing as they do in the video. I've never seen an FA in the past 10 years actually blow into the red tube.
Always wonderers if this "last and final boarding call" is in fact THE last and final boarding call.

deltadawg

Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:12 am

Quoting smi0006 (Reply 18):
I migh be biased, but I think the latest one from QF is the best.

I have to say that I would agree that the latest QF video is a very good classy one. Kudos to Qantas!

The posted UA video is a bit forced and and seemingly put together amateurish. Sorry UA but try again.

The 80's DL safety video is probably my all time favorite. I just love that one especially the brief "men without hats" cameo and the mullet! lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLte6uLMi1g
GO Dawgs, Sic' em, woof woof woof

Polot

Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:05 pm

The aisle path lights are not accurately depicted. Since they would be used in a dark and smoke filled cabin, it is essential that the video show them as they would be actually seen.

So how much should visibility be reduced by smoke for it to be accurate? I would hate for them to show the lights with 30% reduced visibility from smoke if it confuses people in a situation where there is actually 40% reduced visibility. They won't know what white and red lights properly look like   

a380787

Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:22 pm

I just wish all safety videos are short and succinct - traveling is hectic enough, and the last thing I need is the exact same 10-minute song-and-dance when I want some peace-and-quiet

maybe I'm too old school but I feel that those "cutesy" humor should be saved for LCCs while FSCs project a more premium image.

DfwRevolution

Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:36 pm

I'm starting to get really tired of all these cutesy attempts at a safety video, especially from UA

Agreed. They are all just terrible.

Quoting zeke (Reply 11):
Have other airlines done similar ?

Thought I saw another airline a while back do a sports related safety video ?

QR did one with FC Barcelona. And it was awful.
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

VC10er

Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:13 pm

Naturally I would say this, but where was Rio de Janeiro? All the current problems with Brazil aside, it would have made the video more beautiful and exciting.

Perhaps the fact they only have one flight to Rio was something they didn't want to highlight?

I also noticed the blonde FA had a scarf on that I haven't seen before  
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

bohica

Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:12 pm

I'm starting to get really tired of all these cutesy attempts at a safety video, especially from UA. I miss the days when some crew members would come on and tell you everything you needed to know over a smooth bed of Rhapsody in Blue in three minutes or less.

It's too bad the airlines now show commercials disguised as safety demos.

rta

Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:50 pm

I find these "detached from the aircraft" safety videos to be quite annoying. Not just UA, but everyone that's doing them. But in particular, this video is just too loud and distracting IMO. Just tell me about the safety features of your aircraft as quickly and accurately as possible.

On a side note, I find Delta's to be awkward. BA's is probably the best for me, even after all these years. Truly a great one.

Quoting bohica (Reply 27):
   It's too bad the airlines now show commercials disguised as safety demos.

Really great way to put it. I wonder how much UA got paid for this.

longhauler

Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:53 pm

I couldn't get more than 45 seconds into that sickening drivel before I had to stop it. Sad, that its viewing is essential for the safety of passengers.

To date, I find the latest Air France safety video the best I have seen. Not cute, not ironic, not a 5 minute commercial for the airline or any of its sponsorships ... just typical French chic ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMlzE3hDDQY
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

Ytraveller

Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:04 pm

Quoting rta (Reply 28):
On a side note, I find Delta's to be awkward. BA's is probably the best for me, even after all these years. Truly a great one.

Agree with both your points. I hope BA never changes its video.

RedTailDTW

Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:07 pm

I don't think it is all that bad, I find it better than the current DL awards style video (the Safetys). At least UA has Rhapsody In Blue which makes it a bit more enjoyable in my opinion...

Mason
Airlines Flown: 9E, AA, AS, B6, CO, DL, G7, HP, MQ, NW, RP, UA, US, WN, YX / Aircraft Flown: 737-200/300/700/800, 757-200/300, 777-200, A319/A320/A321, CRJ-200/900, DC-9-30/50, DC-10-40, ERJ 140/145, E170/175, MD80/83/90

afcjets

Re: RE: United Releases A New Safety Video

Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:24 am

intotheair wrote:

I couldn't agree more, they are becoming as annoying as sitcoms today, frenetic with unrealistic dialogue and not the least bit believable. My favorite safety demo was in 1988 on an AA 727-100 RDU-GSO. In my younger days when flying solo I would always sit in First Class when it was empty (this was before airlines started putting upgrades in cereal boxes) and the FAs didn't care. She leaned over the seat in front of me and said I see you figured out how to fasten your seatbelt show me real quick how to undo it, and I did. Then she said if you need to get out the exits are here and then I stopped her and told here where they were. I then told her when can skip the O2 thing since we aren't getting up that high, and she loved it lol. Pretty sure I had a beer or two on that flight even though I had just turned 19 but looked 14, which is how I could get away with stuff like that (sneaking into First Class that is, not underage drinking).

piedmont762

Re: United Releases A New Safety Video

Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:09 am

The new videos from DL, UA, AA scream as just weird to me. Despite UAs videos only being show on aircraft with wired IFE systems (domestically high Chance F/As will do a demo). So why spend money on that?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos