Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airDFW
Topic Author

Chaos In EZE: AA Vs DL Approach

Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:59 pm

Yesterday I was scheduled to fly from EZE to DFW on AA flight. Then we got the news that the catering union was blocking the trucks from delivering meals to the flight. So initially they delayed the flight to half an hour and then one hour. I took a walk and it seems all the US bound flights (like other AA to MIA and NYC) also had the same issue along with DL to ATL.

They made the announcement that the catering on the flight is going to be basic and we better stock up on food before boarding. When I took a walk, I see DL reps handing out pizza and water but for AA nothing.

On the flight, they gave us basic sandwich and water. Breakfast was just one croissant.

It seems DL knows how to take care of passengers in this kind situations.

And in that 777-200, it was the postage sized AVOD and inbound catering food amount was also not adequate.

BTW, when is AA going to upgrade their 777's?

catiii

RE: Chaos In EZE: AA Vs DL Approach

Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:43 pm

Putting aside the blanket statement about DL being better in these kinds of situations, how do you know that DL had any catering onboard at all? Maybe the reason they were handing out pizza was because they weren't going to be catered period.

Seat1F

Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:51 pm

Disappointing that AA cannot do better but the catering issue is difficult to deal with. I remember years ago on a PA flight from EZE to MIA, we encountered the same problem: EZE catering strike. I was in the F cabin on a 747 and I remember they only had water and Coke for beverages. No alcohol and no ice at all on board. I think everyone got a sandwich and that was it. Some things never change I guess.

dcajet

Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:57 pm

A bit more background on the situation -

It only affects airlines that have contracted out catering to Gate Gourmet (AR, AA, DL et al). AIrlines that use LSG Sky Chefs had no issues. The situation is due to a dispute between GG and the truck drivers' union. Currently all workers at GG are affiliated with the food workers' union. The truckers' union wants the truck drivers to join their ranks and GG is not agreeing with the union, citing a resolution from a local labor court judge.

It should be noted that the truckers' union is led by Mr Hugo Moyano, a labor baron whose pedigree is of the creepiest kind (and I mean creepy) and no stranger to labor unions most reviled practices such as this kind of intimidation. In fact, his son, Pablo Moyano, was leading the picket lines that prevented trucks from reaching the planes. Like father, like son.

[Edited 2016-04-23 16:07:28]
Keep calm and wash your hands.

Mcoov

Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:24 pm

Quoting Seat1F (Reply 2):

Disappointing that AA cannot do better

Better than what exactly? Most everyone got something to eat and drink onboard. For a surprise catering strike, that should be fine.

doug_or

Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:38 pm

Quoting catiii (Reply 1):
Putting aside the blanket statement about DL being better in these kinds of situations, how do you know that DL had any catering onboard at all? Maybe the reason they were handing out pizza was because they weren't going to be catered period.

Maybe, but in the last year or two I've seen DL buy food for an entire plane load of people several times. It seems this is something that DL has done to empower front line managers to keep people happy. ITs not something I've seen happen with any regularity on any other airline.
When in doubt, one B pump off

winginit

Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:17 am

Quoting AirDFW (Thread starter):

The retrofits are happening now having been significantly delayed on account of the Zodiac delivery timelines. I believe there are something like five or six retrofitted 772s currently in the air.

jetlanta

Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:36 am

Quoting catiii (Reply 1):

I can confirm that Delta had the exact same catering as AA, plus Delta had the food at the boarding area for its passengers. All flights catered by Gate Gourmet were catered the same.

Seat1F

Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:45 am

Quoting Mcoov (Reply 4):
Better than what exactly? Most everyone got something to eat and drink onboard. For a surprise catering strike, that should be fine.

Seems you didn't read the OP which says DL was doing a better job handling the situation including handing out pizza at the gate.

dcajet

Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:53 am

It should be noted that AA Ops @ EZE are 4 times the size of DL. It is easier to cater for irregular ops when only one flight is involved, than when there are 4 777s leaving in short succession over a period of 2 hours. Not saying anything regarding AA v. DL recovery from such a situation but it should be taken into account.
Keep calm and wash your hands.

airDFW
Topic Author

Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:22 am

Quoting dcajet (Reply 9):
It should be noted that AA Ops @ EZE are 4 times the size of DL. It is easier to cater for irregular ops when only one flight is involved, than when there are 4 777s leaving in short succession over a period of 2 hours. Not saying anything regarding AA v. DL recovery from such a situation but it should be taken into account.

That is what the AA personnel said, but I was impressed with Delta nevertheless, because I read in a.net that DL was handing out pizza for a delayed flight in one of the domestic airport.

Plus compared to UA catering/AVOD (ORD - DUB), AA was very disappointing. There was announcement that catering was premium but what they served in Y was anything but. The portions were small, salad was like 2 lettuce pieces and it is still like pasta or chicken.

LAX772LR

Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:18 am

Quoting dcajet (Reply 9):
It should be noted that AA Ops @ EZE are 4 times the size of DL.

It should be noted that AA is a multi-billion dollar company, and a handfull of 777s leaving at similar times, is not going to break the bank.

If there's a will, there's usually a way. Knowing how TERRIBLE AA is in these such situations (similar case for me at JFK in November), I'd be comfortable guessing which (between the will and way) was missing, versus an airline like DL.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

BestWestern

Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:39 am

Quoting dcajet (Reply 3):
GG and the truck drivers' union. Currently all workers at GG are affiliated with the food workers' union.

Gate Gourmet has problems with unions around the world it seems. I'm not a fan of union activism, but sometimes there is fire where you see smoke.

Quoting AirDFW (Reply 10):
here was announcement that catering was premium

Ah, the US airlines use of the word 'premium' and 'gourmet' for basic junk, hoping that people won't notice.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

sunrisevalley

Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:50 am

Years ago Continental is known to have purchased KFC in AKL for passengers. I don't recollect the reason unless the sole cater at AKL owned by NZ at the time was on strike

usflyer msp

Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:56 am

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 11):
It should be noted that AA is a multi-billion dollar company, and a handfull of 777s leaving at similar times, is not going to break the bank.

It is not a matter of money, it is a matter of prep time. It is going to take alot longer to prepare food for AA's 1100+ pax than DL's 250. DL might be able to quickly improvise something with a pizza shop for 250 pax (500 slices) but an order for 2500 slices of pizza like AA would need would overwhelm any restaurant...

doug_or

Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:50 am

Quoting usflyer msp (Reply 14):
order for 2500 slices of pizza like AA would need would overwhelm any restaurant...

If only there were more than one restaurant in Buenes Aires...
When in doubt, one B pump off

jetwet1

Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:37 am

If it makes you feel any better, I got caught up in the BA catering strike at LHR a few years ago.

Flying LHR -LAX I got an egg salad sandwich, in a brown paper bag at the gate, not bad for being in club world.......

So yes, it happens, how the airline reacts is where it counts, BA reacted by throwing a ton of miles at me.

Andy33

Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:39 am

Quoting doug_or (Reply 15):

Who had the security passes to deliver airside in an international terminal?

alfa164

Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:44 am

Quoting andy33 (Reply 17):
ho had the security passes to deliver airside in an international terminal?

If thay was necessary, apparently DL was willing to take a few steps outside to assist their passengers. Or maybe they just have a better policy for such situations.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

ripcordd

Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:03 am

I mean do you buy a plane ticket for the food & drink or to get somewhere?

alfa164

Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:09 am

Quoting ripcordd (Reply 19):

I mean do you buy a plane ticket for the food & drink or to get somewhere?

On a 10+ hour flight... both...
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

LAX772LR

Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:20 am

would need would overwhelm any restaurant

Why would it be limited to one restaurant? It's not like they only serve one entree type during flights.

Quoting alfa164 (Reply 18):
If thay was necessary, apparently DL was willing to take a few steps outside to assist their passengers. Or maybe they just have a better policy for such situations.

I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

usxguy

Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:38 am

it might have been easier to just issue meal vouchers to everyone prior to boarding and advise them to go grab crap to take on board... $14 USD might get someone enough food to "cover" them for the 9 hour flight to the US.

On a side note, can't they do roundtrip catering from the US? I wasn't sure if upon arrival in a foreign country if they *had* to empty out the plane and throw everything away (or if unopened send back to catering)
xx

eielef

Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:03 am

I don't think there are enough restaurants in EZE for feeding around 1300 passengers (between AA and DL). Plus, I expect AR had similar issues and most of their long haul flights leave at that time as well.
So most solutions were hard to issue. AA could have written a voucher to everyone, but it wasn't going to make a big change.
If you give the cookers' or the truckers' unions so much power that they can block and airport's normal operation... Well, there is not much we can do. Hopefully the new government take some actions in this matter, as they tried doing with blockades to motorways. The mix of strickers and fire fighters is amazing! Add to it 40'C of Buenos Aires in December and you create something similar to Wonderland.

joeycapps

Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:07 am

Just out of curiosity, and not being too familiar with outside contracts in the airline world, but being familiar with basic contract law, I have to ask the question... At what point do the actions of the unions put the catering contracts at risk? I'm assuming that airlines sign a contract for X amount of time, and I'm almost positive there are contractual obligations written in, in the event that the catering company fails to perform... However, I do know that a lengthy unscheduled ground delay (especially on a 777) can affect the bottom line. An hour on the ground can't be cheap, much less the ripple effect through each respective carrier's operations for said aircraft. Any liabilities for the catering companies?

Wingtips56

Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:24 am

I read in internal notices that AA did indeed double cater from North America, with limitations as to what could be prepared to last for the round-trip. However, I can imagine that if the strike didn't happen until after the south-bound flights were in the air, or on the ground at EZE, the first flights out would have been short. I don't know if that occurred or not. But for the flights that were double catered, there wouldn't be a big reason to feed folks prior to departure, would there?

It's been years since I've been at EZE, but I noticed a lack of restaurants in the terminal, so that many people armed with vouchers would overwhelm them. And EZE is out a long way from anything.

And of course nothing short of a catering kitchen, with the airline's dishes and ovenware, carts, implements,service items, etc., could provide something to be served on board.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

rta

Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:28 am

Not really surprising to see Delta do something like this.

It is not a matter of money, it is a matter of prep time. It is going to take alot longer to prepare food for AA's 1100+ pax than DL's 250. DL might be able to quickly improvise something with a pizza shop for 250 pax (500 slices) but an order for 2500 slices of pizza like AA would need would overwhelm any restaurant...

That's a good point I hadn't considered. As a passenger, I'm not sure I'd want to be delayed even further just to get a free slice of pizza.

eielef

Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:00 am

Plus not everyone will be conformed with a slice of pizza. Albeit Argentina's amazing pizza (because of its rich Italian heritage), some people are strict to special diets, or those flying in F Class prefer something rather better than a slice of Pizza. They do have the lounges, which provide snacks (haven't been to any in EZE) but I don't expect great gourmet plates from there.
Add the problem of hot weather. People tends to get thirsty easily. Add 1300 cans of Coke per hour, and that's not easy to find, nor to refrigerate. Plus there will be one willing to drink Water, or Diet Coke, or even wine or whisky. So it's impossible.

Stoping union strikes seems to me the best option. Albeit in the Argentine Constitution (Art. 14Bis), the right of strike is granted, it's so often used that sometimes it doesn't allow the country to work as it should.
I remember back in 2008, where there was a farmers strike which lasted over 2 month, with ALL the roads in the country blocked. It was insane. Myself, living in the North of the country, couldn't leave my city, ass all of the roads were blocked by farmers, truckers, etc. And we didn't received products we are used to, basics as Milk or Fuel. It almost caused the government to fall apart, until a rather strange solution came in July 16th 2008, when the Vice President (Head of the Senate), had to vote (as there were 36 votes for and 36 votes against the Law the government wanted, increasing the export tax on Soy to 45%) voted against its own government. It was the end of his political career, but finally the strike ended and life returned to normality (as normal as you can get living in Argentina!).

Cheers, Eielef @Falmouth, Cornwall, SW England

steve6666

Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:49 am

Quoting winginit (Reply 6):

Quoting AirDFW (Thread starter):

The retrofits are happening now having been significantly delayed on account of the Zodiac delivery timelines. I believe there are something like five or six retrofitted 772s currently in the air.

There's a lot more than that, 12 according to this source - not updated that regularly but it's reasonably accurate.
http://sites.google.com/site/newamer...american-mainline/boeing-777-200er

I think all 772s to LHR are now all refurbed. From what I recall, AA has decided to find an alternative supplier for the seats for the remainder of the fleet. Zodiac may have one or two remaining though.
A306, A318, A319, A320, A321, A332, A333, A343, A346, A388, B722, B732, B733, B734, B735, B73G, B738, B742, B744, B752, B753, B762, B763, B764, B772, B773, B77W, B787-8, BAe-146, Cessna Something, DC-10, E175, E195, ERJ145, MD-11, MD-80, PA Something

rbavfan

Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:41 am

Very poorly worded, misleading title. Makes it sound like AA & DL had problems on Approach to the airport

aa777lvr

Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:06 am

Interesting.

Reading this thread it reminded me of politics (well, politics here in the US). One person's observation on how 2 different airlines appeared to handle an operational irregularity turns ugly here on A-net. We have the seemingly obligatory criticism of the title (because everything can be explained to perfection in a couple dozen characters ). Then we have several dozen apparent AA supporters making excuses for AA. Reading A-net is becoming as irritating as watching CNN, NBC, CBS, ABC, etc. Instead of taking one individual's personal observation being taken at face value the crowd at A-net has to put their personal spin on it until it's "spun" out of control.

Ugggghhhhhh!!!

qqflyboy

Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:45 pm

something like five or six retrofitted 772s currently in the air.

13 to be exact. Most will be concentrated at JFK this summer as routes like CDG, FCO and BCN upguage to the 772, plus three daily LHR, GIG and EZE (all scheduled 2-class).

Quoting usxguy (Reply 22):
On a side note, can't they do roundtrip catering from the US?

They do when they know far enough in advance there is going to be a strike. But it sounds like this strike wasn't exactly a strike in the typical sense and there was no advance notice, or at least not enough.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

airDFW
Topic Author

Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:09 pm

it might have been easier to just issue meal vouchers to everyone prior to boarding and advise them to go grab crap to take on board... $14 USD might get someone enough food to "cover" them for the 9 hour flight to the US.

You know, I did not even get that.

chepos

Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:10 pm

I have seen roundtrip catering when a European station has a catering strike (which seems to happen every summer), but these deep south flights sit on the ground for a whole day.

It seems like the poster just was not happy with his experience, going from the food, to the avod, to God knows what else. I would recommend flying DL or whomever meets your needs next time.
Fly the Flag!!!!

superjeff

Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:25 pm

On a side note, can't they do roundtrip catering from the US? I wasn't sure if upon arrival in a foreign country if they *had* to empty out the plane and throw everything away (or if unopened send back to catering)

I seriously doubt it since most, if not all, of the AA flights into EZE tend to arrive in the morning, and leave in the late evening. The airplanes are on the ground for about 10-12 hours, so anything catered on the into EZE leg would likely spoil.

BC77008

Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:39 pm

Quoting AA777LVR (Reply 30):
Interesting.

Reading this thread it reminded me of politics (well, politics here in the US). One person's observation on how 2 different airlines appeared to handle an operational irregularity turns ugly here on A-net. We have the seemingly obligatory criticism of the title (because everything can be explained to perfection in a couple dozen characters ). Then we have several dozen apparent AA supporters making excuses for AA. Reading A-net is becoming as irritating as watching CNN, NBC, CBS, ABC, etc. Instead of taking one individual's personal observation being taken at face value the crowd at A-net has to put their personal spin on it until it's "spun" out of control.

Ugggghhhhhh!!!

All this back and forth about AA and DL and no one even bothered to mention how United is the only truly friendly airline to Argentina and didn't have any catering problems at all!
MY favorite airline and hub is bigger and/or better than YOUR favorite airline and hub!

BC77008

Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:40 pm

Quoting rbavfan (Reply 29):

Very poorly worded, misleading title. Makes it sound like AA & DL had problems on Approach to the airport

OMG! So you were tricked into clicking on this!!! The horror!
MY favorite airline and hub is bigger and/or better than YOUR favorite airline and hub!

usxguy

Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:48 pm

Quoting superjeff (Reply 34):
I seriously doubt it since most, if not all, of the AA flights into EZE tend to arrive in the morning, and leave in the late evening. The airplanes are on the ground for about 10-12 hours, so anything catered on the into EZE leg would likely spoil.

I wasn't sure how long dry ice will last in a galley pack-out. Just seems like we have the technology to do it, since some airlines are now keeping planes in the air for 15+ hours plus... there could surely be a way to keep the food "chilled" while on the ground, at least. Or find some fairly OK non-perishables for the return flight. Alaska Airlines even sends up food to Juneau, AK in a cooler in the cargo pit of the plane for the catering on the morning flights out since there's no catering there. And back in my days at another carrier, I know the rear galley was packed full of our snack boxes in the event of a delay.

US Customs requires the entire galleys be cleared out upon landing, so wasn't sure if this was part of the deal in EZE too... AA or DL could do roundtrip non-perishables catering or even coolers/dry ice in cargo, unless this violates the rampers clauses in their own union contracts.
xx

Hagic

Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:09 pm

Misleading and sensationalist title. Would any moderator take action please?
There's only one freedom of the press: The freedom of the survivors - (G. Arciniegas)

b727fa

Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:59 pm

Arik Air out of LOS would cater LHR-LOS-JFK-LOS-LHR. So it can be done.
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

N62NA

Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:41 pm

The retrofits are happening now having been significantly delayed on account of the Zodiac delivery timelines

The longer it takes, the better as far as I'm concerned. The new J on the 772s is awful with the forwards / backwards configuration. You end up staring at the person directly across the aisle from you, plus flying backwards is ... strange (my opinion and experience of course, I'm sure some of the AA defenders will disagree with me).

Skisandy

Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:31 pm

I know the moderators will delete my post again, because every time
I criticize an arrogant member here - they delete my post.

Here we have another one: Above someone questions" Do you buy your
airline ticket for food and drink, or to get somewhere?"

Indicating that passengers always must accept any and all abuse they
receive from an airline.

Do you pay a taxi just to get somewhere?

Is it OK, if the driver is drunk, the car smells, the seat has a hole?

Of course it is not. Just the same as it is NOT ENOUGH to just be transported
like cattle or worse - freight - when you buy an airline ticket.

You should be able to expect a decent airplane, competent pilots, non-lying ground staff,
a decent meal for a long flight, and being treated with respect and dignity.

I don't understand why members here who are 100% indoctrinated by the
all-perfect airlines are allowed to give their opinions, but why I am not allowed
to criticize exactly these members?

Ytraveller

Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:52 pm

Quoting Skisandy (Reply 41):

That question irritates me too. Also when someone criticizes another member for 'nitpicking' about something.

"Airline X should make this adjustment to their livery"
"No one cares"

I ask those people, why are you on this forum?

Skisandy

Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:53 pm

Yes, right,..... last commenter.... the two most frequent threads here are:

Oh no - I really hate that Euro-white - and - that new livery really is terrible,

and

Why don't they fly the 737 on 14 to 16 hour flights to Europe, Asia, Africa, South Africa and Australia?
(Addition: Man - if Boeing still just would produce the 757, we could fly narrow bodies around the world
and be really comfortable....these wide bodies are just too spacious.... and not noisy enough.....LOL).

Skisandy

Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:00 pm

Ok, one more post.... let's be serious: The question is: How far in advance did AA know about the strike?

Because - if it's more than just an hour or two before departure --- they easily could have done more.
The trouble really is that local staff has absolute orders to save every penny, and have no liberty to spend any money on passenger service, so the suits in the office towers in DFW can get bigger bonuses.

And that AA has 4 times more traffic than Delta is no excuse - they have 4 times more staff there, I assume.

Kudos to Delta - the pizza drive was an excellent gesture: Low cost , a little extra effort = huge customer goodwill!

winginit

Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:36 pm

Quoting N62NA (Reply 40):
The longer it takes, the better as far as I'm concerned. The new J on the 772s is awful with the forwards / backwards configuration. You end up staring at the person directly across the aisle from you, plus flying backwards is ... strange (my opinion and experience of course, I'm sure some of the AA defenders will disagree with me).

I'm a bit surprised as to the reaction to the rear-facing J seats. It's as if this is some new thing that AA is pioneering as opposed to a layout having been flown by BA, UA, and EY for years.

exFWAOONW

Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:42 pm

AA used to have a tagline on their commercials, "something special in the air."
I always thought they should add, "But we suck on the ground." After watching them load a plane with a ground stop into Ohare, cancel the last flight and tell them come back tomorrow, this event is one more example.
Is just me, or is flying not as much fun anymore?

incitatus

Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:49 am

Quoting Skisandy (Reply 44):
And that AA has 4 times more traffic than Delta is no excuse - they have 4 times more staff there, I assume.

It is a lot easier to crank out pizza or snacks for 250 people than for 1000. That said, kudos to DL. I hope DL's focus on making up for service failures catches on.
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos