Braybuddy

RE: ​A380 Could Work At Iberia And Aer Lingus: Walsh

Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:29 pm

Quoting by738 (Reply 49):

Aer lingus A380? Give me strength.... ill dress up in a shamrock leprachaun outfit a do riverdance if that comes to fruition

LOL! If it ever does it'll only be a sham anyway . . .  

SelseyBill

Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:49 pm

Quoting tortugamon (Reply 31):
Maybe WW isn't looking for something in the near future but more down the road.

Don't forget IAG/WW is looking mid/longer term at maybe a multitude of LCC's having a stab at TATL, including at least Ryanair/ Norweigian and JetBlue. If IAG are going to have to compete with those guys effectively, they need a CASM monster to attempt to match costs, add volume and match LCC prices, The A380 gives them that and relatively quick availability.

Quoting by738 (Reply 49):
Aer lingus A380? Give me strength.... ill dress up in a shamrock leprachaun outfit a do riverdance if that comes to fruition.

Cordially suggest you get your Michael Flatley CD's out, and start practicing then. EI DUB-JFK A380 is definitely on the cards, maybe in 'Oneworld' livery to make it IAG fleet compatible.

I could even see them flying A380 LHR-DUB-JFK-DUB-LHR, potentially saving slots on LHR-DUB. There's an awful lot of overlap on LHR-DUB with the BA and EI timetables at present, and a A380 flight could replace 2 x narrowbody flights and then continue on to JFK.

PhoenixVIP

Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:21 am

Quoting tortugamon (Reply 46):

No that's only you and your anti-A380 crusade. How many orders did the A380 receive in the last 12 months???

And funny when tortugamon goes for the moral high ground by saying it's a great aircraft that he/she wants to travel it, yet it's the worst aircraft in the skies and needs to be culled. Talk about indecision.  
Quoting Clipper101 (Reply 48):

If you're looking for a bargain the A380 and 77W would be moving toward the cheapest aircraft to obtain in the presence climate. One has slow sales and has just had a production cutback while the 77W is near the end of its life. To move the slots the only thing that can work is pricing and it would be unlikely either airframe will be available second hand cheap any time soon. Probably a good play to both manufacturers to fine their pencils and work out a better deal for IAG. If acquisition is low enough price then they will go for it. (ie. UA 737-700 order vs BBD CS300).
Inspire the truth.

RCS763AV

Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:29 am

I think IB could use 5 or 6 A380s, easily.

As Argentina's economy improves, EZE could use two daily A380s on the route in the near term (two-three years). MEX could be flown with daily A380 and daily A330-200.

Once Brazil stabilizes, GRU could be daily A380.

And LIM, BOG and HAV could support the aircraft seasonally, or a couple of days a week year round.

Just saying.

vv701

Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:50 am

Quoting speedbored (Reply 36):
IAG are working to standardise cabins between their different airline subsidiaries, and to share training and maintenance facilities between those airlines.

BA has already made extensive use of IB Maintenance at MAD with their single-aisle aircraft. The last such visit was by 321 G-MEDM that was at MAD for planned maintenance between 5 and 24 March this year. It had replaced sister ship G-MEDN when it arrived on the 5th. Earlier several BA short-haul aircraft had visited the IB Paint Shop at MAD.

Quoting PhoenixVIP (Reply 38):
The one aircraft would work in the way that it is managed overall by IAG and will share the same maintenance and facilities as the BA ones.

No problem of a very small fleet of EI and / or IB 380s being integrated into the BA fleet for maintenance etc. Indeed because the current BA fleet of the type is itself small BA cannot employ an appropriate fully occupied team of trained 380 engineers at CWL. So currently HAECO at SIN are carrying out the first B Checks on the BA fleet. Most recently they serviced G-XLEF between 26 March and 16 April.

Increasing the IAG 380 fleet size could, with 380s flying in EI and IB liveries, enable IAG to bring 380 heavy maintenance in-house.

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 41):
I can't recall any IAG or prior to that BA orders being saved up for either Farnborough or Paris.
Quoting jumpjets (Reply 45):
Wasn't the 787-10 formally launched at the Paris air show with BA announced as one of the initial customers

Yes. Boeing announced the launch of the 787-10 at the Paris Salon on 18 June 2013. They said they had received 105 commitments from five customers. They included a BA order for 12 frames.

Additionally on 13 July 2014 on the first day of the Farnborough Air Show IAG announced at Farnborough that 20 of the 100 320neo options it had secured on 14 August 2013 had been converted into a firm order. They added that these aircraft '. . . are currently intended to replace 21 (sic) short haul British Airways aircraft but will be reallocated [within the Group] if the airline cannot make a profitable return from its short haul business'.

This qualification probably explains the reconfiguration of most aircraft within the BA short-haul fleet. For example the last of the 33 319s originally purchased by BA (rather than inherited with the purchase of BD) was very recently (28 April) returned to service after being reconfigured from 132 to 143 seats. And currently the eighth of nine 320s registered in the G-GATx series (G-GATS) is currently at BA Maintenance Heathrow having its cabin reconfigured from 171 to 177 seats. The 50 frame LHR based 320 fleet had already been reconfigured from 162 to 168 seats between 4 July and 11 November 2014.

SCQ83

Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:42 am

Quoting RCS763AV (Reply 53):

Talking GRU, IB has recently went from 11 weekly to daily flights.

At this time and age, maybe SCL or LIM would be more suitable. SCL has some days 3 flights next to each other (2 IB and 1 LAN).

Lofty

Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:25 am

Quoting SelseyBill (Reply 51):
I could even see them flying A380 LHR-DUB-JFK-DUB-LHR, potentially saving slots on LHR-DUB. There's an awful lot of overlap on LHR-DUB with the BA and EI timetables at present, and a A380 flight could replace 2 x narrowbody flights and then continue on to JFK.

I can just see a A380 between DUB and LHR each flight having to be coached in / out from T5 gate 23, not sure what T2 can take.

shamrock604

Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:59 am

Intriguing especially given the A380 ready gate in DUB is being provided in Terminal 2, and not in the 300 gates at Terminal 1 as was originally planned..... It was initially for EK, widely believed to be planning A380 ops at DUB, and would have utilised lounge space on the upper floor of the 300 gates in addition to the main departures level of that pier.

It was an ideal solution, allowing double deck boarding, and EK could still have remained in T2 for check in, as T2 is linked airside to the 300 gates.

Instead, it's now going to be at gate 426 in Terminal 2 - which is of course the terminal EI use, and the one that has US CBP, which could not be offered to flights departing the 300 gates.

tonystan

Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:56 am

Cordially suggest you get your Michael Flatley CD's out, and start practicing then. EI DUB-JFK A380 is definitely on the cards, maybe in 'Oneworld' livery to make it IAG fleet compatible.

You seem very sure about yourself there but I wouldn't be screaming fact just yet. WW I'm sure is just stirring the media a little.

Although iv no doubt an A380 could work for EI on the DUB-JFK route it could only be a very limited period in the peak summer schedule and it certainly would not operate DUB-LHR services too. The feed would simply not be there to fill an A380 as LHR-NY bound customers will somehow find a direct service from London.

IAG is all about milking every penny and nothing about this sounds economical to the level IAG like everything.
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

SelseyBill

Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:26 pm

Quoting tonystan (Reply 58):
You seem very sure about yourself there but I wouldn't be screaming fact just yet. WW I'm sure is just stirring the media a little.
Although iv no doubt an A380 could work for EI on the DUB-JFK route it could only be a very limited period in the peak summer schedule and it certainly would not operate DUB-LHR services too. The feed would simply not be there to fill an A380 as LHR-NY bound customers will somehow find a direct service from London.
IAG is all about milking every penny and nothing about this sounds economical to the level IAG like everything

Nope, pure speculation on my part 'Tonystan'.

I do think however, we need to try and think about TATL a few years ahead, and why IAG invested in EI in the first place. They are going to need to position themselves to take on the possible LCC threat, and adding A380 capacity and low CASM would position them well.

UKtoOzFlyer

Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:45 pm

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 34):

I can see IB using them for major major routes, but can't see 1 aircraft working for any airline.

Off topic, but NF has a fleet of 1 x 738, which sees a high usage between VLI and SYD, AKL, & BNE.

ikramerica

Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:25 pm

Quoting UKtoOzFlyer (Reply 60):
Off topic, but NF has a fleet of 1 x 738, which sees a high usage between VLI and SYD, AKL, & BNE.

And I guess for them it's like a VLA, as all their other birds are much smaller?

I guess I should have said: I can't see one jumbo jet working for any airline, based on past history. The only thing that saves the plan is that when it fails, IAG have somewhere else to put it. In the historical cases, they became albatrosses that had to be sold at a discount.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

LHRFlyer

Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:47 pm

I don't think it's beyond impossible that both EI and IB can share A380 aircraft on a seasonal basis.

IAG clearly has big growth ambitions for DUB and MAD. A major reason behind the deal for IAG to buy EI was to target the Irish American population in the US.

There's also significant scope for EI to use the Avios frequent flyer currency and BA codesharing to significantly grow feeder traffic from UK regional airports. I can see this being a major area of attention in the coming years.

tonystan

Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:09 pm

Quoting LHRFlyer (Reply 62):

There's also significant scope for EI to use the Avios frequent flyer currency and BA codesharing to significantly grow feeder traffic from UK regional airports. I can see this being a major area of attention in the coming years.

Aer Lingus has already announced that Avios will feature prominently in its new Frequent Flyer programme Aer Club which is launching this summer.

Planesmart

Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:14 pm

Quoting SelseyBill (Reply 59):
I do think however, we need to try and think about TATL a few years ahead, and why IAG invested in EI in the first place. They are going to need to position themselves to take on the possible LCC threat, and adding A380 capacity and low CASM would position them well.

And the ability to derive some group tax advantages from a small fleet of A380's partly, but not exclusively used by EI.

bastew

Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:43 pm

Quoting RCS763AV (Reply 53):

Can't see this happening anytime soon tbh. Willie Walsh has said in this article that BA will 'cut' services to both Rio and Sao Paulo after the Olympics. He doesn't specify whether 'cut' means frequencies or aircraft size or both.

I'd think it unlikely that he'd put an A380 on MAD - GRU for IB at the same time.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/m...fall-5-business-trip-cutbacks.html

jambrain

Sun May 01, 2016 9:51 am

Quoting tonystan (Reply 58):
The feed would simply not be there to fill an A380 as LHR-NY bound customers will somehow find a direct service from London.

Aren't you missing the point here, with the slot constraints IAG have at LHR there will be new secondary US routes that will always be 1-stop from LHR so IAG may as well route through DUB, that can fill the A380 LHR-DUB.

Quoting LHRFlyer (Reply 62):

And also all of Europe cities that don't have a direct flight to JFK can route through DUB to JFK (the DXB of the western hemisphere!) if the A380 CASM makes it cheapest / best (Matt641 can wax lyrical here about how if A380 NEO had a 20% CASM advantage IAG could use them to dominate 1-stop traffic to the 10 top airports in US in this model!)

Realistically I hope IAG follow the DXB model with A321s & A350s playing the role of Emirates 777 & A380s. 3 hubs each with significant O&D on the edge of Europe winning a good market share of the 1 stop traffic to and from the Americas. If UK ever delivers on LHR expansion they can then collapse back to a single hub with A380's (l can't see it happening in my lifetime!)
Jambrain

Braybuddy

Sun May 01, 2016 10:17 am

Quoting jambrain (Reply 66):
with the slot constraints IAG have at LHR there will be new secondary US routes that will always be 1-stop from LHR so IAG may as well route through DUB, that can fill the A380 LHR-DUB.

Perish the thought . . .   

goosebayguy

Sun May 01, 2016 11:49 am

Thre potetnial A380's and never forget that Walsh has stated BA could possibly have a couple more. So potentially 5 for IAG?

tonystan

Sun May 01, 2016 2:09 pm

Quoting jambrain (Reply 66):
Aren't you missing the point here, with the slot constraints IAG have at LHR there will be new secondary US routes that will always be 1-stop from LHR so IAG may as well route through DUB, that can fill the A380 LHR-DUB.

Not missing anything fella. NY-LON is BAs bread and butter long haul route. There is no chance that they would look to DUB to expand this route. They would rather fly out of LGW with more frequencies (as is clear from this new schedule this summer).

London customers will simply not want to factor in a transit in Dublin for what is effectively a short transatlantic flight (the LCY service being an exception for SNN as they are not changing and mixing with new passengers and it's a unique niche service) and will generally aim for a direct flight. Where BA or IAG will use DUB is by booking its customers from the UK regions direct to DUB so that they can avoid LHR and perhaps even reduce Domestic slots there for more lucrative LH routes. After that the only real benefit to LHR will be where EI start flights to secondary long haul cities such as the upcoming Hartford which is not serviced from LHR and perhaps BA may send a few customers to DUB for that.

So no, I don't think we will ever see schedule A380 ops on the DUB-LHR route!

BoeingVista

Sun May 01, 2016 2:38 pm

Quoting tonystan (Reply 69):
London customers will simply not want to factor in a transit in Dublin for what is effectively a short transatlantic flight (the LCY service being an exception for SNN

Well, If a preclearence deal could be done for Dublin I could see an A380 or 2 running from there transatlantic.

But this is the 2nd time that IAG has mentioned being able to use more A380's, maybe some movement on this at Farnborough?
BV

BrianDromey

Sun May 01, 2016 3:07 pm

Quoting goosebayguy (Reply 68):
Thre potetnial A380's and never forget that Walsh has stated BA could possibly have a couple more. So potentially 5 for IAG?

I think IAG/BA have been linked with deals for the MH frames - which now appear to be remaining at MH. Other speculation has been for early SQ frames - I doubt they'd want them as their newer models are significantly more fuel efficient. BA seem to think they could put at least 6 A380s to good use. So an IAG group order for 10-12 frames wouldn't surprise me.

RCS763AV

Sun May 01, 2016 4:08 pm

Quoting bastew (Reply 65):
Can't see this happening anytime soon tbh. Willie Walsh has said in this article that BA will 'cut' services to both Rio and Sao Paulo after the Olympics. He doesn't specify whether 'cut' means frequencies or aircraft size or both.

I'd think it unlikely that he'd put an A380 on MAD - GRU for IB at the same time.
Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 55):
Talking GRU, IB has recently went from 11 weekly to daily flights.

At this time and age, maybe SCL or LIM would be more suitable. SCL has some days 3 flights next to each other (2 IB and 1 LAN).

As my post said, once Brazil stabilizes, this would be feasible. Although the economy is tanking, give Brazil 5 years to get back to normal. The size of the country and the amount of wealth is still vast. An A380 could be easily filled on MAD-GRU by then.

I agree that SCL could be an interesting option to use the A380 during the busier periods.

I repeat, 5 years from now, the following routes could see the A380:

MAD-EZE 2x daily
MAD-MEX 1x daily + 1 daily A330
MAD-LIM/SCL/BOG 3x-5x weekly during high season + the rest of the weekly frequencies operated by the usual A346
MAD-JFK 1x daily + 1x daily A330
MAD-GRU 1x daily A380

Miami

Sun May 01, 2016 4:14 pm

Quoting RCS763AV (Reply 72):

MAD-EZE 2x daily
MAD-MEX 1x daily + 1 daily A330
MAD-LIM/SCL/BOG 3x-5x weekly during high season + the rest of the weekly frequencies operated by the usual A346
MAD-JFK 1x daily + 1x daily A330
MAD-GRU 1x daily A380

Not that I'm biased or anything but MIA could definitely support service from the A380 as well. Currently 4 daily flights on MAD-MIA. 2 of which are on IB.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

SelseyBill

Sun May 01, 2016 4:46 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 71):
So an IAG group order for 10-12 frames wouldn't surprise me.

BA has 7 remaining A380 purchase options, and WW has already said the capital expense of these new birds is too high; hence their interest in 2nd hand.

Any additions to the IAG A380 fleet IMO will likely therefore be 2nd hand.......

BrianDromey

Sun May 01, 2016 5:02 pm

Quoting SelseyBill (Reply 74):
BA has 7 remaining A380 purchase options, and WW has already said the capital expense of these new birds is too high; hence their interest in 2nd hand.

IAG don't have a strong history of second-hand long-haul aircraft. They like to buy new and use the frames until they go to the desert. That said, things can always change. At present IAG clearly feel that the price is too high - how much the price has to be reduced by is unknown. It might be a little, or it might be a lot. IAG/ BA are clearly interested in expanding their fleet, but not at any cost. In the style of Delta "opportunistic" fleet purchases (Im thinking of the Amedo frames) are being kept a close eye on.

TedToToe

Sun May 01, 2016 5:11 pm

Quoting SelseyBill (Reply 74):

Any additions to the IAG A380 fleet IMO will likely therefore be 2nd hand.......

Or, this is WW saying to Airbus, at the right price, we'll buy more! The same applies to the comments about buying 2nd hand.

Tristarsteve

Sun May 01, 2016 5:16 pm

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 61):
I guess I should have said: I can't see one jumbo jet working for any airline, based on past history.

I worked for Gulf Air in Bahrain 1976-87. During most of that time we had a single B747 flying BAH to BKK 3 times a week. It was a wet lease, first from MEA then from SAS, and worked well and was very reliable. It was a single aircraft painted in GF scheme.

jambrain

Sun May 01, 2016 6:23 pm

London customers will simply not want to factor in a transit in Dublin for what is effectively a short transatlantic flight

I am not saying LHR-DUB-JFK would fill the A380 to DUB, I was predicting that the Lon-"Rest of US without LHR direct connection" may well route to DUB then the drop the LHR passengers & and pick up the UK regional + Europe regional traffic to JFK.
Jambrain

RCS763AV

Sun May 01, 2016 7:13 pm

Quoting Miami (Reply 73):
Not that I'm biased or anything but MIA could definitely support service from the A380 as well. Currently 4 daily flights on MAD-MIA. 2 of which are on IB.

Indeed. MIA could easily be served daily with the A380.

Polot

Sun May 01, 2016 7:38 pm

Quoting jambrain (Reply 78):
I am not saying LHR-DUB-JFK would fill the A380 to DUB, I was predicting that the Lon-"Rest of US without LHR direct connection" may well route to DUB then the drop the LHR passengers & and pick up the UK regional + Europe regional traffic to JFK.

That requires EI/DUB to be connected to a lot of US cities without direct LHR/London links. Right now, that number is 0 (will be 1 in September when they start BDL). The A320neoLR will help somewhat, but there are very few major cities in the US that are not connected to LHR that could also support a flight to DUB (or any other transatlantic destination), and that could all together bring in enough traffic to profitably fill a A380 on a very short flight.

Remember, connecting traffic in general is lower yielding (more comparable competition) and the A380 economics are designed to be a fantastic at long haul stages, not as a ~1 hr flight time shuttler. There is plenty of room to upgauge LHR-DUB without turning to an A380 (one of EI's A333s, for example, could easily replace a A319+A320 if they wanted). I doubt we would see EI operating the A380 on any European station. Any aircraft "transfer" to another IAG airline (if they were to do such a thing) would likely be handled through the outstations (i.e. JFK).

EI/DUB's role is going to be to act as a reliever for traffic connecting across Europe, so that BA/LHR can focus more heavily on O&D traffic. Not to act as a way to funnel more LHR bound pax into LHR.

[Edited 2016-05-01 12:40:49]

SCQ83

Sun May 01, 2016 7:47 pm

Quoting Polot (Reply 80):

Indeed. DUB-LHR makes 0 sense. If they would send a A380 to the UK from DUB (which is non sensical IMO), a place like MAN, BHX or GLA would make more sense at least from a marketing perspective targeting passengers that otherwise would fly UA or DL.

airbazar

Sun May 01, 2016 7:57 pm

IB I can see it happening. I'm a bit more skeptical about EI.

Quoting GARUDAROD (Reply 6):
Amount of freight???? Every Cargo Manager I know despises the Whale because
it can't carry much freight at all

It depends. The A380 is somewhat volume limited but it can still carry about 8 pallets of cargo after pax and their bags. That's nothing to sneeze at. It's more than a 744 for example and for years the 744 was a dream for cargo managers.
The idea that the "A380 can't carry much freight at all" is a myth. It's true that the 77W and A346 can carry more but by no means is the A380 a slouch. And a lot depends on the pax configuration. Take an EK 77W with 400+ seats flying a 7,000nm route and it's cargo carrying ability will be severely limited too. Then take a KE A380 with only 400 passengers and it will swallow cargo like you wouldn't believe.

David_itl

Sun May 01, 2016 8:13 pm

London customers will simply not want to factor in a transit in Dublin for what is effectively a short transatlantic flight

Whereas that's not a problem for the UK regional passenger?

Polot

Sun May 01, 2016 8:17 pm

Quoting airbazar (Reply 82):
Take an EK 77W with 400+ seats flying a 7,000nm route and it's cargo carrying ability will be severely limited too. Then take a KE A380 with only 400 passengers and it will swallow cargo like you wouldn't believe.

Even with 450 seats a 77W has more cargo volume available after bags than a 400 seat A380 (not qualified enough to start bringing in distances). Remember the 77W can hold 6 more LD3s than the A380... that is over 200 extra people worth of baggage space.

JetBuddy

Sun May 01, 2016 8:21 pm

How are premium vs economy loads on Ibera and Aer Lingus? If they're fairly similar, these 3 x A380s could be configured identically, maybe with a generic IAG livery, or an Ibera/Aer Lingus mixed livery. Then rotating them between MAD and DUB depending on how they work out the schedules.

IAG already has the maintenance and A380 support in order at BA. It wouldn't be the same as a small airline suddenly deciding to operate a small fleet of A380s.

by738

Sun May 01, 2016 8:31 pm

Maintenance for A380 is outsourced so not sure how thats a group advantage

tortugamon

Mon May 02, 2016 12:55 am

Don't forget IAG/WW is looking mid/longer term at maybe a multitude of LCC's having a stab at TATL, including at least Ryanair/ Norweigian and JetBlue. If IAG are going to have to compete with those guys effectively, they need a CASM monster to attempt to match costs, add volume and match LCC prices, The A380 gives them that and relatively quick availability.

469 seats on a BA A380 does not come close to matching the CASM of the 344 seat 789 at DY. It really depends on how they configure their A380s and if they buy used but even then...

tortugamon

PhoenixVIP

Mon May 02, 2016 2:49 am

Quoting tortugamon (Reply 87):

Of course tortugamon forgets (conveniently cause it is A380) that not everything is about CASM. Otherwise Air Asia should be making a killing with their A330s but no. BA has enough premium traffic as evidenced by certain 744s they have to justify the yield of low density configs. Well done. The KA A380 doesn't beat the CASM of an AC 77W. Look at the seat differential.

Of course I don't expect IB or Aer Lingus to have low density layouts.
Inspire the truth.

JetBuddy

Mon May 02, 2016 5:06 am

Quoting by738 (Reply 86):
Maintenance for A380 is outsourced so not sure how thats a group advantage

Everything relevant to operating A380s is already present at IAG. That's the point.

caoimhin

Mon May 02, 2016 5:48 am

Quoting JetBuddy (Reply 85):
maybe with a generic IAG livery, or an Ibera/Aer Lingus mixed livery

That would be an interesting decision. I would hazard a guess that most people have never heard of IAG and have no idea that those three airlines are in any way affiliated. They're proud national brands, and IAG had done an excellent job of allowing them to maintain that brand integrity.

N14AZ

Mon May 02, 2016 6:18 am

@ Caoimhim/Jetbuddy: that's why I think the option to use A380's with Oneworld-livery would be better. People are aware of these existing alliances. Of IAG? Not so much....

JetBuddy

Mon May 02, 2016 7:06 am

Quoting caoimhin (Reply 90):
That would be an interesting decision. I would hazard a guess that most people have never heard of IAG and have no idea that those three airlines are in any way affiliated. They're proud national brands, and IAG had done an excellent job of allowing them to maintain that brand integrity.
Quoting N14AZ (Reply 91):
@ Caoimhim/Jetbuddy: that's why I think the option to use A380's with Oneworld-livery would be better. People are aware of these existing alliances. Of IAG? Not so much....

Yep, I agree. When I mentioned "generic IAG livery", I was thinking of a unique mixed type livery for these aircraft, not with IAG in capital letters. Oneworld livery could work out good, maybe with the logos of Iberia and Aer Lingus in a smaller size represented somewhere on the fuselage as well.

art

Mon May 02, 2016 8:18 am

Who is aware of oneworld and other such alliances outside the aviation industry? My guess is that if passengers saw a plane with oneworld livery, they would think there was an airline with that name.

N14AZ

Mon May 02, 2016 8:28 am

@ art: whenever I fly, typically Star Alliance, the FA makes an announcement "x airlines, member of the Star Alliance". I guess OW-members do the same on their flights.

Then you have the logo-jets in full-alliance colours.

So I think by now, people do know about these alliances...
Best regards
N14AZ

skipness1E

Mon May 02, 2016 8:41 am

Can you please forget the idea of an A380 on LHR-DUB, it beggars belief! It's not remotely practical and far too premium heavy, the CASM would be dire. It's one of the shortest routes flown. Once the initial buzz had worn off, frequent fliers would be elsewhere to avoid the whole hassle, an A320 would never have seemed so simple.

jambrain

Mon May 02, 2016 9:11 am

Quoting skipness1E (Reply 95):
Can you please forget the idea of an A380 on LHR-DUB,

It's only useful if DUB is to be the LHR slot reliever!

If IAG want flights to 3 or 4 new cities in US not currently served on IAG metal, an option that doesn't require more LHR slots is to run a wide-body shuttle to DUB & fly on-bound to US on 3 or 4 A321s from DUB. (I admit the shuttle is more likely to be 2 x A330NEO then a single A380)
Jambrain

vv701

Mon May 02, 2016 12:38 pm

Quoting Polot (Reply 80):
Remember, connecting traffic in general is lower yielding (more comparable competition) and the A380 economics are designed to be a fantastic at long haul stages, not as a ~1 hr flight time shuttler.

This is why there is absolutely no chance of seeing a BA 380 scheduled to operate LHR-DUB.

BA understand the economics of operating the 380. That is why it is scheduled to operate nearly all their longest long-haul flights. These are those between LHR and HKG (5,994 miles), JNB (5,620 miles), LAX (5,456 miles), SFO (5,367 miles), SIN (6,765 miles) and most recently YVR (4,723 miles). Not operating LHR-DUB (280 miles) is a no brainer particularly with a premium-cabin-rich 380 that is configured to carry only 469 passengers.

Quoting JetBuddy (Reply 85):
IAG already has the maintenance and A380 support in order at BA. It wouldn't be the same as a small airline suddenly deciding to operate a small fleet of A380s.

HAECO at SIN currently carry out all significant BA 380 maintenance. G-XLEF finished its first B Check there on 16 April last. BA (and IAG) simply do not have the number of 380 frames to keep the necessary team of qualified in-house engineers continuously employed . As I stated earlier in this thread a small number of additional EI and/or IB operated 380 frames would edge BA closer to having the possibility of an economic in-house 380 routine maintenance set up.

airbazar

Mon May 02, 2016 12:42 pm

Quoting Polot (Reply 84):

Even with 450 seats a 77W has more cargo volume available after bags than a 400 seat A380 (not qualified enough to start bringing in distances)

You have to factor in the distance. Like I said the A380 is volume limited but that volume is not relevant if by filling it you can't make it to your destination. If volume was that significant the A346 would have out-sold the 77W. There are a lot of factors that go into planning a mission.

That would be cool but honestly only people on a.net care about what's painted on the outside. No one makes their ticket purchases based on what color the airplane's tail is painted on.

N14AZ

Mon May 02, 2016 12:56 pm

Quoting airbazar (Reply 98):
No one makes their ticket purchases based on what color the airplane's tail is painted on.

That's for sure. But I am sure that some people would become nervous if they have purchased a BA ticket and, waiting at the gate, suddenly see a huge IB or EI Jet. Well, of course, it's not that the earth would stop turning and people after being informed later during the flight would accept it. I flew several times with Helevtic on a Swiss flight. People did comment this at the gate.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos