jfklganyc
Topic Author

Major Announcement B6/LGA&EWR Today

Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:35 pm

Can't say yet. Headline says it all. Stay tuned for press release.

B6 has found their backbone  

OzarkD9S

RE: Major Announcement B6/LGA&EWR Today

Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:40 pm

per World Airline News:

"Effective October 31, 2016 JetBlue Airways will offer six daily flights between Boston and New York (LaGuardia) on Embraer 190 aircraft. The flights will compete against American and Delta.
JetBlue will fly up to 20 flights a day between Boston and New York, including the existing Boston - Newark and Boston - New York (JFK) routes. LGA will be JetBlue's 62nd nonstop destination from Boston.
As a result, JetBlue is shifting some Florida flying to Newark including service from LGA to both Fort Myers and Tampa. The New York (LGA) - Sarasota/Bradenton route will be discontinued."
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

STT757

Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:05 pm

Makes a ton of sense, take advantage of the change in restrictions at EWR and push more business fliers to LGA and leisure fliers to EWR and JFK.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

FoxBravo

Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:07 pm

Wow, I've wondered if they'd ever get into LGA-BOS . Nice to see them shaking things up a bit. I don't expect DL and AA to let them off easy though--if history is any indication, there may not be room for three players in that market.
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

avi8

Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:25 pm

Is there a link for the press release?
avi8

Medschool student

ScottB

Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:37 pm

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 1):
"Effective October 31, 2016 JetBlue Airways will offer six daily flights between Boston and New York (LaGuardia) on Embraer 190 aircraft. The flights will compete against American and Delta.

It's a curious move, IMO, and far more targeted at business customers in Boston than NYC, since they won't offer the other leg of the Shuttle market between LGA & DCA. I'm not convinced that six daily round-trips will compete effectively with the hourly shuttles, though, given that the flights will still need to be spaced two to three hours apart. (I'm imagining something akin to departures at 0700, 0900, 1200, 1500, 1700, & 1900.)

They can try to underprice the DL & AA Shuttles in the market to pick up customers, but then the question is whether the scarce LGA slots are more effectively-used sending A320s/A321s to Florida or E190s with discount fares to BOS.

Quoting OzarkD9S (Reply 1):
As a result, JetBlue is shifting some Florida flying to Newark including service from LGA to both Fort Myers and Tampa. The New York (LGA) - Sarasota/Bradenton route will be discontinued."

I question whether the customers they've been carrying from LGA will be likely to shift over to EWR rather than switching carriers at LGA or moving over to the B6 flights at JFK.

a380787

Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:41 pm

Quoting FoxBravo (Reply 4):

Wow, I've wondered if they'd ever get into LGA-BOS . Nice to see them shaking things up a bit. I don't expect DL and AA to let them off easy though--if history is any indication, there may not be room for three players in that market.

I think history is more about not supporting 3 players doing hourly MD80s. B6 is just 6x E90s, which isn't all that capacity. With their largest market share out of BOS market, shouldn't be a tough feat to pull off at all.

flyby519

Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:44 pm

Quoting ScottB (Reply 6):
I question whether the customers they've been carrying from LGA will be likely to shift over to EWR rather than switching carriers at LGA or moving over to the B6 flights at JFK.

I'm sure it is worth the gamble. No doubt they will pick up new customers who find EWR more convienient than LGA or JFK.

I suspect the BOS-LGA service was a highly demanded route from the BOS based corporate contracts.

ty97

Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:49 pm

This is just one person's opinion: I live in Manhattan and am an AA frequent flier, but AA to to west Florida doesn't really have good service from NYC (everything involves a connection). So I will often fly DL or B6 non-stop to RSW and TPA to see family despite my AA status.

I highly prefer LGA (followed by JFK, followed by a paintball to the face, followed by EWR). In the future I will likely take DL out of LGA instead of B6 (or take an AA connection). If the price is right, I'll trek to JFK for B6 or DL.

FWIW, I don't hate EWR the airport (much) but I find it a pain to get to.

washingtonflyer

Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:53 pm

Dont forget they're competing against Amtrak too.......

FSDan

Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:04 pm

So B6's LGA service will end up being FLL, PBI, MCO, and BOS.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

threeifbyair

Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:13 pm

Quoting flyby519 (Reply 8):
I suspect the BOS-LGA service was a highly demanded route from the BOS based corporate contracts.

Me too. I don't think the Shuttle is gushing money for AA or DL either, but the corporate contracts are systemwide.

Quoting ty97 (Reply 9):
I highly prefer LGA (followed by JFK, followed by a paintball to the face, followed by EWR). In the future I will likely take DL out of LGA instead of B6 (or take an AA connection). If the price is right, I'll trek to JFK for B6 or DL.

Specifically to BOS I'd slot Amtrak in the #1 position. If you are near Penn Station EWR is ok, but then Amtrak looks really good

I prefer Amtrak on NYC-BOS but if you need to leave Boston later at night Amtrak doesn't work so well. The last train for NYC departs before 7pm and doesn't get to Penn Station until 10:50pm. You can fly out later and arrive at a similar time with Logan so close to downtown.

PIEAvantiP180

Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:02 pm

As a travel agent who books and talks to people exactly like that on a regular basis, the answer is from a large percentage of those travelers is a resounding NO. I will always offer EWR as an option and even when at times it's cheaper almost all will still want what they can find at LGA/JFK.

slcdeltarumd11

Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:18 pm

Amtrak is the number one on NYC-Boston its city center to city center but it sells out ALOT at popular times. The shuttles do so well because Amtrak sells out, the capacity is needed. Until Amtrak adds more capacity the are here to stay.

jfklganyc
Topic Author

Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:01 pm

Quoting PIEAvantiP180 (Reply 13):

As a travel agent who books and talks to people exactly like that on a regular basis, the answer is from a large percentage of those travelers is a resounding NO. I will always offer EWR as an option and even when at times it's cheaper almost all will still want what they can find at LGA/JFK.

It's the cab. NJ fee makes it so much more expensive from city

I wonder what they will do on weekend?

Shuttle pulls down significantly. Couldn't they fly Florida TPA RSW SRQ on weekends?

No way you need 6 daily to BOS on sat/sun

FoxBravo

Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:17 pm

Quoting a380787 (Reply 7):

I think history is more about not supporting 3 players doing hourly MD80s. B6 is just 6x E90s, which isn't all that capacity. With their largest market share out of BOS market, shouldn't be a tough feat to pull off at all.

True, and the others have also downsized quite a bit (DL 717s and E75s, and AA E90s). Still, when AA--with a larger business travel following--tried to compete as a third player with ER3s and ER4s (vs DL and US mainline), they couldn't make it work. But I agree that B6's presence in BOS will certainly help, and it definitely makes B6's offering more attractive to BOS-based business travelers heading for NYC.

Quoting PIEAvantiP180 (Reply 13):

As a Manhattan resident, I would agree with this--EWR is always a last resort for me. Most B6 pax are happy to fly out of JFK to Florida--the LGA flights were a nice convenience but I suspect those pax will simply fly out of JFK instead. BOS may very well be a more lucrative use of those slots.
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

ScottB

Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:25 pm

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 15):
It's the cab. NJ fee makes it so much more expensive from city

I don't think it's just the cab; it's also the limited number of ways to get across the river and over to EWR. If there's an issue with one of the tunnels, there's probably a good chance you'll miss your flight. If there's an issue with one of the East River crossings, there are at least a half dozen alternates which won't add an hour to the trip.

Quoting jfklganyc (Reply 15):
Couldn't they fly Florida TPA RSW SRQ on weekends?

No way you need 6 daily to BOS on sat/sun

BOS-LGA will be 2x on Sa and 3x on Su. I don't doubt some of the weekend slots will be used for Florida but that's going to be all bargain basement fares outside of the holiday peaks.

tortugamon

Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:18 pm

Quoting FoxBravo (Reply 15):
As a Manhattan resident, I would agree with this--EWR is always a last resort for me. Most B6 pax are happy to fly out of JFK to Florida--the LGA flights were a nice convenience but I suspect those pax will simply fly out of JFK instead.

Agreed. No reason to have the service at LGA if they offer it at JFK as well. This way they can switch to EWR and catch a smaller amount of NYC but add Jersey passengers to FL while those that preferred LGA probably won't bat an eye at the existing JFK services.

This move catches a broader market while offering a compelling LGA-BOS competition. 6X a day is pretty solid. Boston Globe is suggesting $49 fares. That is cheaper than Amtrak.

tortugamon

a380787

Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:33 pm

Quoting tortugamon (Reply 17):

This move catches a broader market while offering a compelling LGA-BOS competition. 6X a day is pretty solid. Boston Globe is suggesting $49 fares. That is cheaper than Amtrak.

Also need to factor in cab costs to/from the airports while Amtrak is city-center to city-center. Amtrak NE Regional is maybe 25-30 mins slower than Acela but at half the cost or even less.

Of course, there's also a factor of Amtrak's somewhat spotty record of as late.

Noreastshuttle

Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:00 pm

Well I lived in Manhattan too on the upper West Side, and when I flew to Baltimore or Washington, LGA (1 or 2 uptown to 125th then M60) and EWR (1 or 2 downtown to Penn Station then NJ transit)were effectively the same in judgement of time. Though more expensive for EWR. My friends preferred EWR by train during rush hour then dealing with the tribourough or the 59th to LGA.
BOS-WASH Megalopolis

slcdeltarumd11

Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:13 pm

I use to travel frequently NYC- BOS. Amtrak was always my number one choice. Its way faster in reality and so much easier. You get one delay on the plane and you'd already be there on Amtrak. The biggest problem i ran into was that so many trains sell out at prime times. The shuttles always had better availability, Amtrak is definitely the real frequent peoples first choice

N717TW

Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:20 pm

They can try to underprice the DL & AA Shuttles in the market to pick up customers, but then the question is whether the scarce LGA slots are more effectively-used sending A320s/A321s to Florida or E190s with discount fares to BOS.

Take a look at what fares are on BOS-LGA vs. LGA-FL and you quickly realize that "discounted" E90 flights between BOS & LGA is actually better than going to Florida. DL often charges $600+ on a same-day r/t n the Shuttle. Even if B6 went all the way down the old $99 EA/NY/PA shuttle fares from the 1980s, its still 50 cents per mile. FL isn't going to bring RASM like that. An E90 (assuming the slots line up correctly) can do 6 segments, whereas you reasonably 4 segments back and forth to FL. Assume the same $100 base fare on both routes and BOS-LGA is netting you 50% more from the same plane.

Quoting washingtonflyer (Reply 10):
Dont forget they're competing against Amtrak too.......

Very much correct; although Amtrak is stronger on the DC-NYC leg. BOS is still about 1 hr too long. Amtrak has killed the Shuttle traffic for people who live south/southwest of Boston and can use the Rte. 128 station. The Shuttle still has a sizable business from Boston. Don't discount how close Logan is to downtown Boston.

Quoting threeifbyair (Reply 12):
I prefer Amtrak on NYC-BOS but if you need to leave Boston later at night Amtrak doesn't work so well. The last train for NYC departs before 7pm and doesn't get to Penn Station until 10:50pm. You can fly out later and arrive at a similar time with Logan so close to downtown.

Try the reverse. There is no way for me to get into the office in NYC by 9:30 am on the train...no physical way. I often fly down and Amtrak back....but the train to Boston is still about 45 to 1 hr too long.

ScottB

Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:40 pm

Quoting N717TW (Reply 21):
Take a look at what fares are on BOS-LGA vs. LGA-FL and you quickly realize that "discounted" E90 flights between BOS & LGA is actually better than going to Florida. DL often charges $600+ on a same-day r/t n the Shuttle. Even if B6 went all the way down the old $99 EA/NY/PA shuttle fares from the 1980s, its still 50 cents per mile. FL isn't going to bring RASM like that. An E90 (assuming the slots line up correctly) can do 6 segments, whereas you reasonably 4 segments back and forth to FL. Assume the same $100 base fare on both routes and BOS-LGA is netting you 50% more from the same plane.

Well, not quite, because the LGA-FLL flights are on the A320 which offers more seats along with lower unit costs per seat. The 6 slot pairs used for LGA-BOS will allow for 1,200 daily E190 seats versus 1,800 daily A320 seats to Florida. Plus I think you'd be hard-pressed to find $49 fares to Florida from LGA on B6.

DL may charge $600+ for a round-trip on the Shuttle, but B6 charges north of that for a close-in round-trip to Florida, too.

AussieItaliano

Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:47 pm

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 20):
I use to travel frequently NYC- BOS. Amtrak was always my number one choice. Its way faster in reality and so much easier. You get one delay on the plane and you'd already be there on Amtrak. The biggest problem i ran into was that so many trains sell out at prime times. The shuttles always had better availability, Amtrak is definitely the real frequent peoples first choice

It would probably be even more so if there were true high speed rail between WAS-NYC-BOS. Here in London, nobody travelling on business flies to Brussels or Paris anymore since the Eurostar journey time became 2-2.5 hours from LON-PAR and LON-BRU. Flights between these cities mostly carry connecting pax now. These distances are roughly the same distance as NYC-BOS and NYC-WAS. If it took only 2 hours from Penn Station to Boston South Station or Washington Union Station, the DCA-LGA-BOS shuttles would probably cease to exist. Recall that there were similar shuttles between LHR and CDG but these are now history.

Does anyone know offhand what percentage of LGA slots are used on DCA/BOS flights (after B6 starts service)?
Third Runway - LHR, Second Runway - LGW, Build Them Both!!!

SurfandSnow

Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:53 pm

So, to sum it all up:

B6 starts BOS-LGA 10/31/16, 6x daily weekday services (2x daily Sat/3x daily Sun). The LGA slots will come from existing Florida services, although I believe the only route being cut completely is LGA-SRQ. It sounds like the newer routes to Florida's Gulf (of Mexico) coast are bearing the brunt of the cuts, which makes sense as that is traditionally more the domain of Midwesterners. East Coasters typically prefer Florida's eastern coast, and it seems the most popular destinations that B6 has served the longest from LGA - FLL/MCO/PBI - remain intact.

To offset the loss in NYC-Florida flying, B6 adds 2 additional daily EWR-FLL frequencies as well as additional 1x daily EWR-MCO/PBI/RSW/TPA. It was said in another thread that the now seasonal JFK-SRQ service will go back to year round as well.

Source: http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...n-York%E2%80%99s-LaGuardia-Airport
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

a380787

Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:14 pm

Quoting AussieItaliano (Reply 23):
If it took only 2 hours from Penn Station to Boston South Station or Washington Union Station, the DCA-LGA-BOS shuttles would probably cease to exist. Recall that there were similar shuttles between LHR and CDG but these are now history.

Another part that really slows down Acela is the number of stops it makes. When I took Eurostar on LON-PAR back in 2007, I recall only stopping about 2-3 times in the middle - once in eastern suburbs/exurbs of London, and once right after the tunnel on the French side.

I understand Acela's need to cater to the needs of towns along the way, but it just surprises me they don't have some "express" frequencies that limit stops to the most essential ones.

cloudboy

Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:18 pm

So when will someone start PVD to one of the NYC airports?
"Six becoming three doesn't create more Americans that want to fly." -Adam Pilarski

a380787

Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:21 pm

Quoting cloudboy (Reply 26):

UAX does 4x daily EWR-PVD on a combination of ERJs and Q200 props.

CO787EWR

Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:26 pm

Quoting a380787 (Reply 25):
I understand Acela's need to cater to the needs of towns along the way, but it just surprises me they don't have some "express" frequencies that limit stops to the most essential ones.

Amtrak trialed this on the NYP-WAS section of the Northeast Corridor. They had a select few Acela trains that started at New York Penn or Washington Union Station and only stopped in Philadelphia. They decided to get rid of these limited stop "super express" services I believe due to scheduling issues and not meeting revenue goals.

[Edited 2016-04-28 13:29:33]

adamblang

Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:29 pm

Quoting SurfandSnow (Reply 24):
So, to sum it all up:

Thank you for the recap. This whole thread was BOS-LGA which I thought hardly constituted a "major announcement."
146 319 320 321 332 333 343 717 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 763 764 772 773 789 AR1 AT4 CNA CR2 CR7 DC9 ER3 ERD ER4 E70 E75 E90

threeifbyair

Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:03 pm

Quoting CO787EWR (Reply 28):
Amtrak trialed this on the NYP-WAS section of the Northeast Corridor. They had a select few Acela trains that started at New York Penn or Washington Union Station and only stopped in Philadelphia. They decided to get rid of these limited stop "super express" services I believe due to scheduling issues and not meeting revenue goals.

A super-express Acela will eventually catch up to every other train on its route, including other Acelas. I was on a Regional heading to Boston that was held in New Haven to allow the following Acela to pass my train at the station in New Haven. Otherwise it would have been following for a while. PHL-NYP has so many commuter trains, plus Regional and Keystone Amtrak trains that it is all but impossible to not follow some slower train.

Those intermediate markets are also fairly lucrative in aggregate, even if the bulk of the passengers are WAS, PHL, NYP origin/destination.

caljn

Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:27 pm

Quoting PIEAvantiP180 (Reply 12):

I believe you have written these very words before...any axes to grind?

OzarkD9S

Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:41 am

Quoting adamblang (Reply 29):

Thank you for the recap. This whole thread was BOS-LGA which I thought hardly constituted a "major announcement."

A new competitor in a major domestic US market could at least qualify as "major", for those B6 loyalists at least.
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

spinkid

Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:42 am

Quoting a380787 (Reply 27):

EWR-PVD offers service. Mostly it is connecting.

Amtrack also stops in Providence.

Anyone living in the Bronx or north can easily catch a train or drive. its not worth the security hassle at any airport.

I'm surprised 190's instead of 320's. With limited slots, you would think they would have the biggest planes they could get in there.

N717TW

Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:14 am

Quoting adamblang (Reply 29):

BOS-LGA was one spoke of the long-famous but now past-its-prime Northeast Air Shuttle routes and even though BOS-NYC is no longer the busiest air route in the country, its up there in traffic. You'd be hard pressed to find many 184 mile air routes with 31 daily round trips (mostly mainline too) where the bulk of the traffic is still O&D and expense-account O&D at that. And the crowd is really interesting (not as interesting as DCA-LGA) but still not uncommon to sit next to some pretty important peeps in your coach seat. I have made quite a few contacts over the Shuttle since I first flew EA's in 1988.

As someone who does this commute at least once per week and has for nearly 10 years, the plane is still faster-downtown to downtown. Amtrak has a really strong business from NYC to Conn. and R.I. but the sold-out train heading north from the City becomes pretty empty after Providence and a ghost town after Rte. 128 (which is about 1/2 way after Providence, R.I.)

That B6 is entering the market is big news. It says a lot about the traffic they are trying to get in BOS.

tortugamon

Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:25 pm

Quoting a380787 (Reply 18):
Also need to factor in cab costs to/from the airports while Amtrak is city-center to city-center. Amtrak NE Regional is maybe 25-30 mins slower than Acela but at half the cost or even less.

There are cheap public transportation options to downtown in both places....assuming that is where you are going but I hear you. Still with $49 fares, as long as they hold up, plane will be quicker and cheaper which is compelling.

tortugamon

a380787

Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:29 pm

Quoting tortugamon (Reply 35):

There are cheap public transportation options to downtown in both places....assuming that is where you are going but I hear you. Still with $49 fares, as long as they hold up, plane will be quicker and cheaper which is compelling.

One point is that the $49 is really the cheapest inventory mostly benefiting the kayakers. By the time business travelers purchase within 7 days, I'd expect their prices to easily be in the same ballpark as the other 2 shuttles or Acela Express.

Anyone who has tried Wall St to LGA at friday 5pm can tell you that cab ride can be quite frustrating, no matter if you take the BQE or the FDR.

PIEAvantiP180

Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:49 am

Quoting caljn (Reply 31):

No, just my observation. Ever since moving to US have been living in the Tampa Bay area and nowhere else. Only ties I have to NYC is the half dozen times I connected to fly back to Europe and connections took me thru EWR/JFK. Also made plenty of flights thru PHL, IAD, CLT, ATL, and DTW. No alegiance towards any airline or aliance. My current job allows me to talk to quite a number of travelers out of NYC on a regular basis and in 3 years at my current position this is the nonscientific evidence I've seen so far. As I said I regularly offer EWR as an alternative option to LGA/JFK and hardly any takers. Same is true in reverse, when I have clients say they prefer EWR, the other 2 airports are almost newer chosen.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos