mozart
Topic Author

Which Routes Can Be Served From Milano Linate?

Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:57 pm

I know that LIN's capacity has been artifically capped at some point to favour the growth of MXP. Also, restrictions were brought in as to which airlines and which routes could be served from LIN.

Can someone share more about what the current rules are as to which airlines can fly there? Which routes can be served (wasn't there something like "only capitals or hubs with more than x passengers" at some point)?

Also, how have the rules changed over time? I believe that the initial capacity restrictions were imposed to favour growth of MXP when the AZ hub was there, but since AZ de-hubbed MXP, have the LIN rules been changed?

Thanks for any insights.

vv701

RE: Which Routes Can Be Served From Milano Linate?

Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:38 pm

LIN has a politically motivated restriction of 22 slots per hour. This is a significant reduction on the previously allowed 32 slots per hour.

Destinations served from LIN are limited to those within the EU. This restriction includes domestic destinations.

icarus75

Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:26 pm

One of the main problem in Linate is the security check!!!!
I fly from LIN to CDG 2 or 3 times a month and depending of the time of day, it's a nightmare!
Today, I've had to queue for 30mn before passing thru the security and it was 0400pm.
Flying is amazing!

Tan Flyr

Tue May 03, 2016 2:48 pm

My family and I flew out of LIN in late March (before BRU attack) on the 730 BA to LHR, and I do not recall any significant delays in security, at that time. Perhaps time of day?

Next time we visit Milan, I am more inclined to use LIN than the 45 min bus to MXP.

BTW, love Milan!

mercure1

Tue May 03, 2016 3:11 pm

I cannot find it, but there is a EU and ENAC document that list operational parameters form LIN.

Personally I quite like it. It might not be fanciest airport, but its extremely convenient opposed to very distant Malpensa.
mercure f-wtcc

lesfalls

Tue May 03, 2016 3:13 pm

Quoting VV701 (Reply 1):

Does this include only flights within schengen or also flights to the U.K?
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen mehr.

mozart
Topic Author

Tue May 03, 2016 4:13 pm

Thanks for all the replies.

I seem to remember that at one stage airlines were "chased" from LIN and only Alitalia stayed behind. But that could have been during the years when they wanted to promote MXP.

I wasn't aware that it was any airport in the EU, my prior understanding was that service was only allowed to capital or hubs (which explained for instance why FRA could be served). Anyone knows what the exact rule was, and when that was changed to include any airport in the EU?

Lastly, odd to see that it is only for airports in the EU and not to any airport that is part of the European Open Skies agreement, which would include Norway and Switzerland. A flight to Zurich from LIN would make sense, it often takes more time to drive from Milan to MXP than to fly from MXP to Zurich.

Quoting lesfalls (Reply 5):
Does this include only flights within schengen or also flights to the U.K?

Definitely also the UK. British Airways flies there, and Alitalia has flights to London Heathrow and London City.

Clydenairways

Tue May 03, 2016 4:43 pm

Quoting lesfalls (Reply 5):

Does this include only flights within schengen

No, Aer Lingus has flights from DUB for years as well.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos