Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

blacksoviet
Topic Author

Does El Al Receive Discounts From Boeing?

Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:37 am

Does the US-Israel "special relationship" mean that El Al receives special discounts for flying an all-Boeing fleet?

ericm2031

RE: Does El Al Receive Discounts From Boeing?

Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:52 am

I doubt they receive any more than anyone else. And they might actually get less than some since Boeing probably expects to easily get their business

TWA772LR

Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:18 am

It has more to do with France and Israel not being best of buds.

Quoting ericm2031 (Reply 1):
And they might actually get less than some since Boeing probably expects to easily get their business

What about the extra security mods ElAl has? Does Boeing install them or is that done elsewhere?
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

32andBelow

Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:25 am

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 2):
What about the extra security mods ElAl has? Does Boeing install them or is that done elsewhere?

El Al planes might as well be part of the Isreali Military.

art

Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:33 am

I doubt Boeing has to sell at anything near their best price. Don't remember how long ago El Al ordered some Airbus kit but it was made clear to El Al that this sort of behaviour was unacceptable, so El Al cancelled and bought US kit instead. Suppliers don't offer too good a discount if you're not allowed to buy from their competitors.   

kdonohue

Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:38 am

An El Al executive told me they seriously considered the Airbus A350 and A330neo before deciding on the Boeing 787. They took almost a year to study proposals from both manufacturers.

Scorpio

Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:03 pm

Quoting art (Reply 4):
Don't remember how long ago El Al ordered some Airbus kit but it was made clear to El Al that this sort of behaviour was unacceptable, so El Al cancelled and bought US kit instead.

Late 90s. El Al had decided to order the A319 as their new narrowbody fleet. US government stepped in and basically made them order the 737NG instead. Happened again a bit later: they had decided on a combination of A330s and 777s for the long-haul fleet. Guess which type never got delivered?

EL-AL

Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:03 pm

Quoting Scorpio (Reply 6):
Late 90s

When El Al was still owned by the government. Today its a private airline, working to make profit.
every day is a good day to fly

euroflyer

Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:31 pm

Quoting blacksoviet (Thread starter):
Does the US-Israel "special relationship" mean that El Al receives special discounts for flying an all-Boeing fleet?

As per Israel-US tight relationship, there are some preferential agreements of course. But you won't find evidence easily.
Born to fly !

blacksoviet
Topic Author

Thu May 12, 2016 6:54 am

Who did El Al sell their 762s to?

GE9X

Thu May 12, 2016 7:55 am

Doesn't El Al have, uhh, "specialized" equipment on their planes? This may be one of many reasons why they always go with Boeing, if Airbus as an integrator doesn't want to deal with installing Israeli military technology or even having that kind of system on their aircraft. Unfortunately all of this is also very political.

Heavierthanair

Thu May 12, 2016 8:03 am

G'day

Quoting kdonohue (Reply 5):
seriously considered the Airbus A350 and A330neo before deciding on the Boeing

I seriously doubt Airbus these days even offers their wares to El Al after their previous negative experiences with winning contests just to have them cancelled again for political reasons

Cheers

Peter
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." (Albert Einstein, 1879 - 1955)

blacksoviet
Topic Author

Thu May 12, 2016 8:06 am

What kind of special military technology does El Al install on its planes?

thekorean

Thu May 12, 2016 8:17 am

Quoting Heavierthanair (Reply 11):

AB can't be that petty especially since now El Al is under different management.

PanHAM

Thu May 12, 2016 8:23 am

whatever secret stuff they add to the aircraft, they do that at home. Israel is a high tech Country, they Export security items developed in Israel
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

DarkSnowyNight

Thu May 12, 2016 8:27 am

Quoting Heavierthanair (Reply 11):
I seriously doubt Airbus these days even offers their wares to El Al after their previous negative experiences with winning contests just to have them cancelled again for political reasons

They'll make as many proposals as they have to to satisfy their diligence requirements, but, yeah, I doubt they go any further beyond that.
Well, you know what they say. Whatever doesn't kill you...
... Must not be an MD-11.

GE9X

Thu May 12, 2016 8:29 am

Quoting blacksoviet (Reply 12):
What kind of special military technology does El Al install on its planes?

The only thing that's confirmed is that they have a radar flare system to deflect missile attacks, but it was reported that they have newer high-tech laser countermeasures as well. There was a big issue about this with Switzerland not allowing El Al to land in their country with these systems installed, ostensibly because of fire risks but also because they are essentially military systems, which would create big sovereignty issues in the case they were activated.

Fly-K

Thu May 12, 2016 9:24 am

Quoting GE9X (Reply 10):
Doesn't El Al have, uhh, "specialized" equipment on their planes? This may be one of many reasons why they always go with Boeing, if Airbus as an integrator doesn't want to deal with installing Israeli military technology or even having that kind of system on their aircraft. Unfortunately all of this is also very political.

There was recently a pic of an Israir A320 with similar "equipment" installed.
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been...

mjoelnir

Thu May 12, 2016 9:27 am

I think the 787 order by El Al is simply on merit. Nobody orders EL AL to buy Boeing. The USA may be the biggest financial contributor to Israel, but Germany is number two. I do not know where the EU as a whole stands in this.

Regarding trade the EU as a whole is the biggest trade partner of Israel with about 30% of the whole trade, followed by The USA with about 19% (2015 numbers).

I would also not say that relation ship between Israel and the EU are bad. The main difference is that critic of Israel's politic (and I mean politic not country) seems to be permitted in the EU and beaten down or jumped on immediately in the USA.

AviatorW6

Thu May 12, 2016 9:37 am

uthorities ha

Quoting Fly-K (Reply 18):
There was recently a pic of an Israir A320 with similar "equipment" installed.

I think there are certain safety equipments (like anti-missile system) mandatory on all Israeli registered commercial passenger aircrafts. I recall reading somewhere that Israeli authorities had issues with Israir's ATRs becuase that type was not capable of accomodating some of such equipments.

[Edited 2016-05-12 02:38:37]

sxf24

Thu May 12, 2016 12:25 pm

Based on what EL AL shows financiers when looking for financing, it's pricing is pretty good for an airline of its size. EL AL has a reputation of being a very tough negotiator.

Revelation

Thu May 12, 2016 12:39 pm

Quoting GE9X (Reply 10):
Doesn't El Al have, uhh, "specialized" equipment on their planes? This may be one of many reasons why they always go with Boeing, if Airbus as an integrator doesn't want to deal with installing Israeli military technology or even having that kind of system on their aircraft.

Given the world we live in, I would imagine Airbus would be glad to have such integration happen. It would only increase the value of the aircraft they provide.

Quoting GE9X (Reply 16):
There was a big issue about this with Switzerland not allowing El Al to land in their country with these systems installed, ostensibly because of fire risks but also because they are essentially military systems, which would create big sovereignty issues in the case they were activated.

Sounds like a tempest in a tea cup to me.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

ec99

Thu May 12, 2016 1:08 pm

Quoting EL-AL (Reply 7):
When El Al was still owned by the government. Today its a private airline, working to make profit.

This is true and very salient. On other threads thread many European posters have emphasized a similar point about AB moving from a government owned company to a private company around the same time.

That said, I wonder how free they really are to buy AB airplanes. Doing so could cause a political issue in America (specifically the senators from S. Carolina and Washington), which may not be in Israel’s best interest. Governments exert political pressure on companies all the time and I cannot help but think the Israeli government would prefer not to deal any backlash from El Al buying AB. I do not think El Al is prohibited from doing so, I just think all things about equal, they have a little extra reason to choose Boeing.

csavel

Thu May 12, 2016 2:09 pm

Quoting EL-AL (Reply 7):
Quoting ec99 (Reply 22):
Doing so could cause a political issue in America (specifically the senators from S. Carolina and Washington), which may not be in Israel’s best interest. Governments exert political pressure on companies all the time and I cannot help but think the Israeli government would prefer not to deal any backlash from El Al buying AB. I do not think El Al is prohibited from doing so, I just think all things about equal, they have a little extra reason to choose Boeing.

This, imagine that El-Al decided to order AB, some major senators held up aid, even some major Jewish senators noted as pro-Israel made harrumphing statements (e.g. Charles Schumer). Them imagine the media sh*tstorm in notoriously brass-knuckled Israeli press.

No *orders* but definitely peer pressure. Happens all the time in all countries in all industries.
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

A350

Thu May 12, 2016 6:02 pm

El Al's decision in favour of the 787 is not really surprising, it justs fits too well to their needs (as it is generally a very good match for the longhaul needs of smaller airlines). What might get really interesting is that they will have to decide between the 737MAX and the A32s NEO one day. A 320Neo / A321Neo / A321 NeoLR combo seems to be very useful for LY.

avi

Fri May 13, 2016 3:16 pm

El Al did get a big discount when they bought the forth B744 (4X-ELD) in the late 90's but that was as a partially compensation for the loss of the B742 freighter (4X-AXG) in Amsterdam (which was Boeing fault).
Long live the B747

blacksoviet
Topic Author

Fri May 13, 2016 5:36 pm

How was it Boeings fault?

avi

Fri May 13, 2016 5:44 pm

Don't you know the LY1862 story?
Long live the B747

Stitch

Fri May 13, 2016 5:54 pm

Quoting ec99 (Reply 22):
That said, I wonder how free they really are to buy AB airplanes. Doing so could cause a political issue in America (specifically the senators from S. Carolina and Washington), which may not be in Israel’s best interest.

A fair bit of kit in Airbus airframes comes from US companies so I imagine the Senators from those states would push as hard for a deal (with Airbus) that benefits their constituents.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos