Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

doulasc
Topic Author

Will Delta Do Retro Heritage Planes.

Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:48 pm

Will Delta ever do heritage retro planes like American Airlines.I would like to see Northeast,old Northwest Orient,
Western Airlines and Chicago and Southern,

flyDTW1992

RE: Will Delta Do Retro Heritage Planes.

Sun May 01, 2016 12:06 am

I think as the leadership evolves over time it's certainly a possibility. Not an Anderson thing, as we've seen. Personally, in an ideal world, I'd like to see the Bowling Shoe and maybe Republic as well.
Now you're flying smart

ATLTowerboy

Sun May 01, 2016 12:37 am

Ed said no to this last week in one of his Q & A on the web.
Rollin

notdownnlocked

Sun May 01, 2016 8:01 am

Management says 0% chance. Want to see originals go to the DL museum. Personally I would hate to see DL botch their heritage as gleefully AA does publically daily with their "retrojets".

FlyCaledonian

Sun May 01, 2016 10:50 am

For DL, which seems to have had the smoothest of mergers of the big three, it would seem odd to want to bring retro jets online at this time. If you look at when the mergers took place, whilst NWA is the most recent the others were quite some time ago so apart from being nice from enthusiasts what would it achieve? Some employees would appreciate it but most customers would likely be confused by it.

> Northwest Airlines - merged into DL in 2010
> Western Airlines - merged into DL in 1987
> Northeast Airlines - merged into DL in 1972
> Chicago & Southern Air Lines - merged into DL in 1953

Some have said that Republic Airlines should be honoured too, but that was merged into NW in 1986 and had only been around for seven years - but would you hnour Hughes Airwest, North Central Airlines and Southern Airways that had longer histories but that are even further removed from DL?

And what about Pan Am? Whilst not merged into DL, a big chuck of assets were bought in 1991 and it could be argued that there are former PA people who today are making bigger contribution to DL than former employees of Northeast (any still working) or certainly Chicago & Southern.

Personally, I like the fact that the Delta Museum seems to be moving to honouring these airlines that have merged into DL and help make it the airline it is today rather than resurrect extinct liveries.

UA seems to be moving away from the retrojet (The CO retrojet has just gained normal colours, so I expect the UA retrojet will too when it is due a repaint).

AA has expanded the retrojets inherited from US to recogonise its history (though has ignored Trans Caribbean Airways). However, it could be argued that politically ditching the US retrojets so soon might not had been a sound move given the employee relations issues, so expanding them was the right thing to do. Also, look at the flack AA has taken for how they have been presented. Persoanlly I am in the camp that says it would have been better to put the "American" titles in the same font as the original livery, but others like the way it is and others wasnt the original airline name displayed. So you can't please everyone!
Let's Go British Caledonian!

SpaceshipDC10

Sun May 01, 2016 10:57 am

Quoting doulasc (Thread starter):
Western Airlines

Oh how I wish they have three of those, one each for Indian head, Big W and Bud-lite, that'd be marvelous, respectively on a 737, 767 or A333 & 777.

[Edited 2016-05-01 04:08:28]

bobnwa

Mon May 02, 2016 2:16 pm

Quoting notdownnlocked (Reply 3):
Personally I would hate to see DL botch their heritage as gleefully AA does publically daily with their "retrojets".

Exactly what is AA doing to botch their heritage "gleefully"?

N766UA

Mon May 02, 2016 2:28 pm

Quoting bobnwa (Reply 6):

Honestly, I kind of agree. The TWA, Reno, and AirCal liveries look half-assed. TWA stripes on a dark grey fusulage just looks wrong, and the Reno Air one only vaguely looks like Reno Air's actual scheme. The mountains aren't even the right proportion...

UA444

Mon May 02, 2016 2:31 pm

AA got flak because theirs look terrible. Gray paint and "American" titles instead of TWA or AirCal. It would've been fine if they just put the actual airlines name on the fuselage.

reltney

Mon May 02, 2016 2:35 pm

A few years ago someone did a retro of the 757 in all the old Delta schemes and also a 767 in a few merged airlines. Looked great to see a NW and NE 767. The 757 in the delivery DC8 and 880 liveries was fantastic.

Would like to see it again if someone knows where they are or who did it.
Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...

NWAROOSTER

Mon May 02, 2016 3:59 pm

Quoting FlyCaledonian (Reply 4):
And what about Pan Am? Whilst not merged into DL, a big chuck of assets were bought in 1991 and it could be argued that there are former PA people who today are making bigger contribution to DL than former employees of Northeast (any still working) or certainly Chicago & Southern.

If I am correct Delta could not even do a PanAm retro jet livery as the PanAm name is owned by another corporation. I have even seen trains with the PanAm name and logo on them. The Northeast name also may be owned by someone else as there have been stories about a new Northeast yellow jet airline starting up. The only retro jets you will see on Delta aircraft is earlier versions of Delta's liveries.
Finally, the the only merged airline name Delta may still have any title to is Northwest as the rights to the name probably have not yet expired and you will not see a Delta jet with a Northwest livery. The only aircraft Delta has with a Northwest livery on it is in the Delta Museum. It is a Black Waco Biplane with Gold wings, with "Speed Holman's" name on it, that a Northwest pilot and his wife restored and eventually donated to to Northwest Airlines about thirty years ago. It hung from the ceiling of the Gold Concourse at MSP along with another early aircraft that was loaned to Northwest. When the the Metropolitan Airports Commission no longer wanted them on display, the Waco was claimed by Delta, much to the displeasure of the pilot's family, as it is actually now owned by Delta. The other aircraft went to the University of North Dakota, at the request of the family that owned it. The University there has a flight training school as part of it's curriculum.   
Procrastination Is The Theft Of Time.......

SpaceshipDC10

Mon May 02, 2016 4:00 pm

Here's how it would look to have WAL livery back on some aircraft.

http://jetabout.webs.com/naa/western.htm

rta

Mon May 02, 2016 4:13 pm

Retroliveries don't seem to be a part of Delta's culture IMO.

SpaceshipDC10

Mon May 02, 2016 4:26 pm

Quoting rta (Reply 12):
Retroliveries don't seem to be a part of Delta's culture IMO.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Michael F. McLaughlin

View Large View Medium

Photo © Chris Starnes

MaxxFlyer

Mon May 02, 2016 4:40 pm

Management says 0% chance. Want to see originals go to the DL museum. Personally I would hate to see DL botch their heritage as gleefully AA does publically daily with their "retrojets".

Not everyone can make it to ATL to see the museum, but depending an the argument, DL could have quite a few liveries from the past. I do agree AA's retro liveries suck. Very few airlines have pulled off the retro look effectively.

gdg9

Mon May 02, 2016 4:49 pm

Quoting bobnwa (Reply 6):
Quoting notdownnlocked (Reply 3): Personally I would hate to see DL botch their heritage as gleefully AA does publically daily with their "retrojets".
Exactly what is AA doing to botch their heritage "gleefully"?

Using the same base grey paint that is on the standard fleet for the retro liveries that clearly were white - TWA for example.
@dfwtower

diverted

Mon May 02, 2016 5:01 pm

Quoting reltney (Reply 9):
A few years ago someone did a retro of the 757 in all the old Delta schemes and also a 767 in a few merged airlines. Looked great to see a NW and NE 767. The 757 in the delivery DC8 and 880 liveries was fantastic.

I believe that's the frame that headed to the heritage museum.

litz

Mon May 02, 2016 9:40 pm

Actually, both of the "heritage" livery frames pictured above are already in the museum.

They are Ship 41 (DC-3) and Ship 102 (767-200).

DocLightning

Mon May 02, 2016 10:57 pm

Quoting flyDTW1992 (Reply 1):
I'd like to see the Bowling Shoe and maybe Republic as well.

An issue with the Bowlling Shoe livery (one of my favorite liveries of all time) is that it looked much better on the fleet that NW had at the time of the livery than it does on modern twins.

In the 1990's, NW's fleet was:
DC-9/MD-80
A320
DC-10

So for all of those except the A320 and 757, there is some significant structure above the windows. For the DC-9 family it was the engines, which were painted in the grey. For the 727s it was also the engines, with the #2 intake red, accenting the overall red of the livery. For the DC-10, it was the #2 engine and for the 747 it was the upper deck. But the modern DL fleet is all wing-mounted twins except for the 744s that will be phased out.

But on a wing-mounted twin, the red of the livery is minimal and really just a funny-looking stripe down the top of the fuselage that blends into the tail. That said, I think it would have looked very nice on the A330. And when airlines do retro liveries, they rarely do them on widebodies (although LH was kind enough to make a major exception with their final 748 delivery  &nbsp . They usually do them on their 737/A320 fleet. Well, a Bowling Shoe A320 is hardly anything interesting. They existed for a long time. And a Bowling Shoe 737 will look just like a 727 except less interesting for lack of the #2 engine.

I believe that the 1990s NW corporate visual image was a Landor design and, true to Landor, it was spectacular.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

SpaceshipDC10

Mon May 02, 2016 11:07 pm

Quoting litz (Reply 17):
Actually, both of the "heritage" livery frames pictured above are already in the museum.

You are right, however, contrary to what he said, there's at least a certain level of retroliveries culture at DL.

NWAROOSTER

Mon May 02, 2016 11:19 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 18):
But the modern DL fleet is all wing-mounted twins except for the 744s that will be phased out.
Delta's MD-88s, the MD-90 and the 717-200 have fuselage mounted engines. Even though the MD-88 has fuselage mounted engine we ignore them as they are going away. Northwest's A319, A320 and all Douglas aircraft had the bowling shoe livery. I think the perfect candidate for the bowling shoe livery would be the 717 which is about the same size as Northwest's DC-9s.. It is ironic that Northwest was the worlds largest DC-9 operator even thought it never bought a new one. I never really liked the bowling shoe livery because the red top and the grey faded and turned chalky in about a year after the aircraft were painted.
However, I still think Delta will never paint any aircraft in any of Northwest's liveries.   

MSPNWA

Mon May 02, 2016 11:25 pm

Personally I would hate to see DL botch their heritage as gleefully AA does publically daily with their "retrojets".

Having a couple so-so heritage paint jobs is a lot less botching of a heritage than it is to bury the heritage forever.

slcdeltarumd11

Mon May 02, 2016 11:30 pm

A Western 738 in SLC. That will make some nice photos

UA444

Tue May 03, 2016 12:47 am

I'd love to see a bowling shoe 737, but it won't happen unless NW employees buy one and then paint it how they want.

Quoting MSPNWA (Reply 21):

I do agree that DL could do a better job in this regard.

DocLightning

Tue May 03, 2016 1:43 am

Quoting NWAROOSTER (Reply 20):
Delta's MD-88s, the MD-90 and the 717-200 have fuselage mounted engines.

Yes, but we've seen the NW livery on the DC-9. Part of the fun of a retro livery is seeing it on a type that never wore that livery.

Now, admittedly LH's 747s wore the livery currently on their 748, but the 748 is so different from the 741/2 that I think it's a fair switch.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

RetiredWeasel

Tue May 03, 2016 1:55 am

Quoting NWAROOSTER (Reply 20):
I never really liked the bowling shoe livery because the red top and the grey faded and turned chalky in about a year after the aircraft were painted.

Speaking of a 'chalky' looking bowling shoe top, take a look here:
http://www.google.com/maps/@32.50343...1.3362739,157m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

This classic has been sitting in the desert climate at Pinal Airpark for years. The security there is tight, but if you could get close, careful of the rattlers that I'm sure are coiled right behind the rudder pedals.

reltney

Tue May 03, 2016 4:44 am

Quoting diverted (Reply 16):

NO. The 767 was never painted in a heritage livery. NEVER HAPPENED. The 767 ( my father flew as the captain on the first rev flight from ATL to TPA ) was a quasi crap not even close to the ship41 livery. Don't even start thinking it was. It was an abomination of a heritage livery. Looked nothing like the real thing.

Heritage liveries need to look like "if the airplane was in the fleet back then" this is what it would look like. All other airlines did it right.

767. Grey instead of polished. Cheat line over the Windows instead of under. Engine cowl not correct. Tail not correct,

It was discusting and embarrassing.

I am proud to pilot Delta planes. I wish they would paint a retro plane. They haven't yet. They only painted a symbol of the 75 anniversary. A one off livery. Glad they did it. NOT a retro scheme... Not even close...

Flame away flamers...
Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...

green12324

Tue May 03, 2016 5:00 am

I like retro jets. It's boring seeing the same old liveries day in and day out. The more variety the better.

Does it make sense from a business stand point? Not really. I think having a standard livery across all fleets and aircraft is best for marketing and brand consistency. I would imagine this is where Delta is coming from. It may be a cultural thing as well.

When American did their retrojets I think they sacrificed some of the heritage in order to maintain consistent branding. I still appreciate the variety, but I can see how it could be argued that his defeats the purpose of a retrojet. I think they also botched some colors in the old liveries, which is an inexcusable mistake if true.

I would like to see some Delta retrojets, but I have no idea if it will happen.

[Edited 2016-05-02 22:17:57]
The views expressed in this post are my own. They have not been reviewed or approved by my employer.

n7371f

Tue May 03, 2016 5:05 am

It's also an ego thing with Delta. Virginia Ave folks have always thought, even during the bankruptcy stage, that they are better than anyone else - including the airlines it's merged with (accentuated between original Delta folks and NWA in some cases). That's not a put down; just what it is. If it couldn't happen with Richard Anderson, who spent the largest amount of his airline career with Northwest and brought over numerous upper-level management, it won't happen.

rta

Tue May 03, 2016 5:07 am

Quoting SpaceshipDC10 (Reply 13):

Today's Delta isn't your father's Delta.   

ckfred

Tue May 03, 2016 4:45 pm

Quoting FlyCaledonian (Reply 4):
AA has expanded the retrojets inherited from US to recogonise its history (though has ignored Trans Caribbean Airways). However, it could be argued that politically ditching the US retrojets so soon might not had been a sound move given the employee relations issues, so expanding them was the right thing to do. Also, look at the flack AA has taken for how they have been presented. Persoanlly I am in the camp that says it would have been better to put the "American" titles in the same font as the original livery, but others like the way it is and others wasnt the original airline name displayed. So you can't please everyone!

If you look at the old US retro jets, the words "US Airways" were on the fuselages in the current font. But, the words were in the correct colors for the retro jet.

AA's problems were two-fold. First, the planes painted in TWA, Air Cal, and Reno Air liveries were painted in AA silver/gray. They should have been painted in the correct shades of white. Second, the QQ plane presents some real issues. The words "Reno Air" were painted below the windows, in a rather large font. Without those titles, the retro jet looks strange.

By the same token, QQ flew nothing but MD-80s, -87s, and -90s. So, getting the tail livery on a 738 just doesn't look right. AA would have been better off painting one of the MD-80s scheduled to retire last.

DTWPurserBoy

Tue May 03, 2016 5:30 pm

IMHO the retro jet has been over used and well abused. It was interesting the first few times but now it seems tired.

If you can't get to ATL to see the museum take a look at the website. There are ample photographs and memorabilia and a wall hanging you can buy that shows Delta's entire heritage. It actually is well over a hundred airlines that make up the Delta of today. Most passengers either would not care nor would they understand what a "retro" jet was. Keep it simple and consistent.
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

OA412

Tue May 03, 2016 5:39 pm

Quoting MSPNWA (Reply 21):
Having a couple so-so heritage paint jobs is a lot less botching of a heritage than it is to bury the heritage forever.

This statement is not factual. A visit to the Delta Flight Museum website reveals several references to PA and NW, as well as other airlines acquired by DL over the years including several photos of aircraft in various NW liveries. The page on the 744 talks about NW's role in that aircraft's history. The page on the DC-9 first discusses the fact that those aircraft were reintroduced into the fleet via NW, then discusses DL's own history with the DC-9. In addition, there are exhibits at the museum detailing those airlines, their history, and what they brought to DL.

Now, I'd certainly love to see aircraft painted in WA, NW, and PA liveries, though I realize PA is difficult, if not impossible, since DL never actually bought the rights to the name as they did with WA and NW. However, there's a school of thought that says to have a cohesive brand you have to make everything consistent, and heritage jets only create inconsistency. I'm very happy that AA, for instance, has chosen to go the route of the heritage jet since it's nice to see those liveries in the sky again, but note that most US airlines have shied away from doing so, including UA (with the notable exception of the retro-CO livery), DL, and WN. You'll note that UA has no EA, PE, NY, or TI jets flying around, and WN didn't go with a FL heritage livery even though they're clearly not averse to special liveries.

DL has chosen to honor those airlines in a different way. While it's true there are no DL heritage aircraft out there, it's certainly not true to suggest that DL has somehow buried that heritage forever.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

litz

Tue May 03, 2016 7:11 pm

Quoting OA412 (Reply 32):
The page on the DC-9 first discusses the fact that those aircraft were reintroduced into the fleet via NW, then discusses DL's own history with the DC-9.

IIRC, a few of the NW DC9s that merged into the new DL were, in fact, original DL frames.

UA444

Tue May 03, 2016 10:48 pm

Quoting litz (Reply 33):

There wasn't that many and the last one that was active was retired within a week of the merger. The other two that were DL frames had already been retired.

NWAROOSTER

Wed May 04, 2016 4:33 am

Quoting litz (Reply 33):

Quoting OA412 (Reply 32):
The page on the DC-9 first discusses the fact that those aircraft were reintroduced into the fleet via NW, then discusses DL's own history with the DC-9.

IIRC, a few of the NW DC9s that merged into the new DL were, in fact, original DL frames.
Quoting UA444 (Reply 34):

Quoting litz (Reply 33):

There wasn't that many and the last one that was active was retired within a week of the merger. The other two that were DL frames had already been retired.

I don't remember if there any former Delta DC-9s were still flying when Northwest merged into Delta. I know that Northwest had some DC9-10s that Delta flew which went to Southern and onto Republic that Northwest flew for a few years and retired to the scrappers and have been broken up. Northwest had a few DC-9-30s that originally flew for Delta.
One is especially interesting in that it originally flew for Northeast Airlines and Delta after the 1972 merger as N979NE and then moving onto Ozark in about 1976 as N994Z before being picked up by Republic Airlines in about 1985. This aircraft was involved in an accident in Sioux Falls, SD and had damaged a wing while still flying for Ozark. Both wings were replaced on this DC-9-31 with two wings from an Air Canada DC-9-32, CF-TLU, which had a lav fire and made an emergency landing in CVG. A snow plow driver was killed by the Ozark DC-9 and several people died from smoke inhalation and the fire on the Air Canada DC-9. This is the only DC-9-31 with DC-9-32 wings.
Northwest operated it from about the end of 1986 until 2005. Delta did have title to this aircraft while it was in storage for a period of time. I had suggested to the Delta Museum of Flight that they acquire this aircraft as it had flown for three airlines that are now part of Delta's history as well as Delta Airlines. They did not want it as it would not fit in the hanger with their 767, but would like to find a DC-9-10 they had operated along with any airlines that were part of Delta.Air Lines. I informed them that all the ones that had flown for Northwest were broken up.
I still think this aircraft would be a candidate for Delta to recover and restore due to it's heritage. However, I doubt that this will ever happen.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Bob Garrard
View Large View Medium

Photo © Art Brett - Photovation Images

deltal1011man

Wed May 04, 2016 4:38 am

Quoting doulasc (Thread starter):

Not unless management completely changes. Ed has already made it clear he is on the same page as Richard when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Why post a pic of Ship 41? Delta didn't operate the aircraft in retro paint............

UA444

Wed May 04, 2016 4:43 am

Quoting NWAROOSTER (Reply 35):
roken up.
I still think this aircraft would be a candidate for Delta to recover and restore due to it's heritage. However, I doubt that this will ever happen.

It has long been broken up by now. I think all the NW D93s were gone by 2013 in MZJ.

coolian2

Wed May 04, 2016 4:55 am

Every single retrojet thread I find myself thinking why would you?

The posters who are the most vocal for wanting one are the fastest to criticise what gets done.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

NWAROOSTER

Wed May 04, 2016 12:48 pm

Quoting deltal1011man (Reply 36):

Why post a pic of Ship 41? Delta didn't operate the aircraft in retro paint............

This aircraft, if I am not mistaken was originally operated by Delta and later recovered in Puerto Rico. It was restored by Delta volunteers to a better than new condition in it's original livery and interior. It has been flown by Delta for shows and promotional purposes.
It is the closest aircraft Delta has to a Retro Aircraft.   

SpaceshipDC10

Wed May 04, 2016 1:03 pm

It was to illustrate where the Spirit of Delta's livery had its roots when it was painted to celebrate DL's 75th anniversary.

NWAROOSTER

Wed May 04, 2016 5:24 pm

Quoting SpaceshipDC10 (Reply 40):

It was to illustrate where the Spirit of Delta's livery had its roots when it was painted to celebrate DL's 75th anniversary.

That is a very accurate statement.. Good response……..   

mayor

Wed May 04, 2016 6:30 pm

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 22):

A Western 738 in SLC. That will make some nice photos

Could you have meant a DL 738 in Western livery as Western only had 737-200s and -300s? BTW, which of the WA liveries do you want.........the "Bud Light" or the faded white with red swizzle stick?

Quoting n7371f (Reply 28):
It's also an ego thing with Delta. Virginia Ave folks have always thought, even during the bankruptcy stage, that they are better than anyone else - including the airlines it's merged with (accentuated between original Delta folks and NWA in some cases). That's not a put down; just what it is. If it couldn't happen with Richard Anderson, who spent the largest amount of his airline career with Northwest and brought over numerous upper-level management, it won't happen.

May be ego or it might be pride........we were always proud of the airline we helped build.......might be a combination of both.

Quoting NWAROOSTER (Reply 39):
It is the closest aircraft Delta has to a Retro Aircraft.  

Well, there is the Travelair that is on display in the museum, too. It did a couple of small tours at about the same time that ship #41 did.

[Edited 2016-05-04 11:38:00]
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos