Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

seabosdca

Boeing Confirms Review Of Larger -7Max And -9Max - Pt. 1

Fri May 06, 2016 1:14 am

Quoting prebennorholm (Reply 198):
It is no coincidence that the 737NG wing (and the A320 wing) was made to max out code C gates.

If Boeing finds the 77X folding wingtip solution to work well, it may need to adopt it for MAX or Mad MAX.

prebennorholm

Fri May 06, 2016 1:26 am

Quoting flyabr (Reply 199):
Does the 757 fit in C gates??

...and that's one reason why orders dried up fifteen years ago.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

sv11

Fri May 06, 2016 2:41 am

Apparently the A330/A340 main landing gear also shortens while retracting. So minimal change to 737-9 Max would be add a few inches length, LEAP1A engines, shortening landing gear, few auxiliary tanks to get 757 replacement.

sv11

alyusuph

Fri May 06, 2016 3:09 am

Quoting packsonflight (Reply 155):
I guess that since the general 737 gear configuration was retained on the MAX it confirms grandfathered limitations on the design.

I am not an aviation engineer, but I see similarities in the low engine hanging designs from Boeing. for instance the engines of the 787 do not leave large clearances with the ground comparative to their large nacelle diameters. The same to the A350, actually. Does it mean that Boeing did not learn a lesson with the 737? I think there might be some design efficiencies which Boeing is taking advantage of. Perhaps aviation engineers can enlighten me further.
I am not an Airbus or Boeing fan, just an aircraft fan

PlanesNTrains

Fri May 06, 2016 5:25 am

Quoting a380787 (Reply 188):
and how would Boeing call the new 7.5 and 9.5 ? re-use the old names associated with a tarnished half-baked solution ?

MAX 160 and MAX 240 ?

Not to be rude, but who cares?

Quoting dash9 (Reply 196):
1 - Boeing and Bombardier creates a Joint Venture for the Cseries, which become Boeing' NSA:

Interesting, but doubtful from my point of view.

2 - BA cancels the MAX7 and MAX9 outright. MAX8 goes forward as a stop-gap / commonalty with existing 737 operators.

Not going to happen. Even if the MAX 7 got cancelled completely, the MAX 9 has enough orders and fills enough of a need that it can still be developed.

3 - BA announce the 797 (MOM) centered on 180 - 240 passengers: 6 abreast, Composite/advanced alloy frame & wings, GTF or LEAP options. BA licenses or procures BBD's design on the CSeries cockpit, FBW, etc. and reuse what makes sense on the 797.

Again, doubtful. Sounds interesting, but I just don't see Boeing swallowing its pride and doing such a deal with BBD.

Quoting brindabella (Reply 197):
If you read the original 7.5 thread, it is 150 in one class for WN.

With 143 one-class now, is it increased pitch that they would also be getting?

Quoting alyusuph (Reply 203):
I see similarities in the low engine hanging designs from Boeing. for instance the engines of the 787 do not leave large clearances with the ground comparative to their large nacelle diameters.

When the 787 rolled out, I thought the same thing - why is it so low to the ground again? Do they like making their life difficult with stretches?

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

rheinwaldner

Fri May 06, 2016 5:46 am

Quoting brindabella (Reply 197):
If you read the original 7.5 thread, it is 150 in one class for WN.

So the 7.5 is the 8, shrunk to the length of the 7 + row?

1 - Boeing and Bombardier creates a Joint Venture for the Cseries, which become Boeing' NSA:

Then Boeing better stops fighting the C-Series as fierce as they do...
Many things are difficult, all things are possible!

PlanesNTrains

Fri May 06, 2016 5:49 am

Quoting rheinwaldner (Reply 205):
Then Boeing better stops fighting the C-Series as fierce as they do...

It's called making BBD desperate for a partner.  

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

JoeCanuck

Fri May 06, 2016 6:11 am

Quoting prebennorholm (Reply 198):

Whatever span they add to the root, they can take off of the tip in order to stay in the box.
What the...?

GE9X

Fri May 06, 2016 6:14 am

All this talk about Boeing making Bombardier the NSA is nonsense and I don't know why it's so persistant across so many threads.

First, it would be quite a move for Boeing to embrace the sidestick cockpit philosophy, moving the NSA away from training and other commonalities with the 787. It's not the only technical difference but it is a major one.

Second, the Canadian government, and especially the Québec government, is not going to allow any foreign company to take control of what they consider their crown jewel, especially not an American company. Perhaps it may seem weird to Americans, but economic nationalism is a very real thing in Québec, and any takeover would be fiercely opposed by extremely well organized political forces, both labor and business based, that are very likely to succeed in blocking any such event. As an example that is actually a tiny fraction of what would happen for BBD, the retailer Lowes spent years trying to acquire RONA and only got to it by agreeing to a long, long list of promises that included keeping the head office in Montréal. How would Boeing employees react to seeing the 737 replacement, not just assembly but marketing and head office, be essentially entirely outsourced to Montreal? Because that will be the price for a BBD takeover by Boeing.

Third, the CSeries is doing well enough by itself by now that it no longer needs acquisition. They only use for a cash injection now is to go ahead with the larger variant(s).

Sorry to say but the 90s are long gone, the only transaction that BBD can realistically make with a U.S. company is to sell its Learjet operation in Wichita.

atcsundevil

RE: Boeing Confirms Review Of Larger -7Max And -9Max - Pt. 1

Fri May 06, 2016 6:37 am

Please continue the discussion in the next thread.

Boeing Confirms Review Of Larger -7Max And -9Max - Pt. 2 (by atcsundevil May 5 2016 in Civil Aviation)

✈ atcsundevil