Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SLCUT2777
Topic Author

SLC Expansion Now Includes North Concourse

Tue May 03, 2016 12:27 am

The growth at SLC just made the airport terminal redevelopment project bigger. Today the Department of Airports officially announced the B, CD & D concourses will be demolished along with the A & E labeled facilities. http://www.sltrib.com/news/3845801-1...lc-airport-adds-second-terminal-to
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

CIDFlyer

RE: SLC Expansion Now Includes North Concourse

Tue May 03, 2016 1:22 am

Good for SLC to be ahead of the game and do this all at the same time. Layout looks familiar like the ones in ATL, DEN & DTW.

WesternA318

Tue May 03, 2016 1:48 am

This is awesome...good to hear

jsnww81

Tue May 03, 2016 2:43 am

Great news. The previous plan was going to produce a Frankenstein of a terminal complex that, while thought to be cost-effective, was going to look pretty disjointed and cobbled together. Glad to see the full plan being built and SLC avoiding an IAD-like fate.  

factsonly

Tue May 03, 2016 6:27 am

SLC Thursday May 5, 2016:

Inaugural service of KLM A332 on AMS-SLC - arr 12.35pm.

redzeppelin

Tue May 03, 2016 2:59 pm

This is great news, and makes a lot of sense to do it all at once.

Quoting factsonly (Reply 4):
SLC Thursday May 5, 2016:

Sadly can't be there, but I'll watch for it on final from my office. I have a pretty good view of the approach to the 34s.

slcdeltarumd11

Tue May 03, 2016 3:19 pm

Quoting factsonly (Reply 4):

Yeah, its an exciting time for SLC   KLM serving the airport is amazingly not even that big news anymore. SLC is rolling with good news and good things. Hope it sticks with Delta also flying to AMS!

bkircher

Tue May 03, 2016 5:46 pm

How the heck would they build that while maintaining current operations? Those new terminals are of a complete different layout than what is currently there, and what is currently there looks like it would get in the way.

Osubuckeyes

Tue May 03, 2016 5:57 pm

Quoting bkircher (Reply 7):
How the heck would they build that while maintaining current operations? Those new terminals are of a complete different layout than what is currently there, and what is currently there looks like it would get in the way.

It would seem that they are doing all the land side stuff first. Then once that is finished complete the West end of the South then the rest. I believe in a previous thread there was a solution that temporarily connected the main terminal with each concourse as they build the rest of the South Concourse. However, the real doubt is whether they can finish by 2020. I connected there last weekend and it didn't look like they had even started.

redzeppelin

Tue May 03, 2016 6:43 pm

Quoting Osubuckeyes (Reply 8):

I think that you are right on.

Nothing visible has started yet with the terminals and concourses, but there has been a lot going on with moving utilities, parking arrangements, new car rental facilities and such. The site is pretty much cleared for the new terminal and parking garage. Based on my understanding of the previous plan, and some guesswork on the new stuff, I think that it will go something like this:

1. the south arm of E concourse will be demolished very soon to make way for the new south concourse.
2. build the new terminal, parking structure, and western half of the south concourse all at once.
3. Open the new terminal and southern side of new concourse. Maintain temporary connection to old concourses.
4a. Demolish old terminals and build eastern part of south concourse in their place.
4b. Demolish remainder of concourse E and open north side of new concourse.
5. Demolish concourse D, and start construction of north concourse (work on western end of north concourse may start sooner, but I think that D has to come down before it's done)
6. Open new concourses as old ones are demolished. Something like this:
-- Open south side of south-east concourse, then close and demolish A.
-- Open the north concourse, then demolish B and C.
-- Open north side of south-east concourse after B and C are gone.

Something like that should work out to keep everything open, but finishing by 2020 does seem a stretch. Will be fun to watch.

mayor

Tue May 03, 2016 6:55 pm

Ok......how do the pax connect from the terminal to the south concourse to the north concourse......is there an above or below ground tram or train involved?
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

Osubuckeyes

Tue May 03, 2016 7:06 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 10):
how do the pax connect from the terminal to the south concourse to the north concourse......is there an above or below ground tram or train involved?

In the article it says that there will be a tunnel. I doubt there will be a train. It will likely be just moving walkways a la DTW.

YRA

Tue May 03, 2016 7:40 pm

What a relief to see this news. I was definitely in the camp that thought it a waste of money to pump more dollars into aging facilities slated for replacement anyway. Plus the frankenterminal wasn't going to be very nice from a passenger or airline perspective. This is a much better option.

As far as I am aware, I think the underground tunnel infrastructure was built years ago so construction of that won't get in the way of anything. Is that true?

Also, by building the north concourse concurrently with the west concourse and head house, this will take a lot of sequencing pressure off of the airlines and contractors involved in the project. Now they will have more gates to put planes and passengers while the joint venture builds the east concourse. Much less disruptive.

slcdeltarumd11

Tue May 03, 2016 8:51 pm

train is annoying, i think DEN really wishes they had build walkways next to the train also. SLC should be shorter distance

Quoting YRA (Reply 12):
Also, by building the north concourse concurrently with the west concourse and head house, this will take a lot of sequencing pressure off of the airlines and contractors involved in the project. Now they will have more gates to put planes and passengers while the joint venture builds the east concourse. Much less disruptive.

They have a hub carrier Delta, they need to keep very happy during this whole major construction. Sounds like they made a smart choice IMHO. Its not a spoke airport people have to keep transferring during all this, you want to keep the hub rolling. Also to pump money into something you will rebuild anyway doesn't make much sense

bjorn14

Tue May 03, 2016 9:11 pm

How many new gates with all this expansion work?

[Edited 2016-05-03 14:22:22]
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

Osubuckeyes

Tue May 03, 2016 9:37 pm

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 13):
train is annoying, i think DEN really wishes they had build walkways next to the train also. SLC should be shorter distance

Train is fine I think if you are going more than one concourse, so going out to C at DEN the train is solid, but for A and B IMHO it really isn't needed. I do like the option to walk on long layovers/when the train is very congested.

I'm surprised that airports haven't implemented the Disney parking lot style electric carts for tunnels that don't necessarily need a train.

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 14):

75 with both the South and North Concourses, and an option for 15 more on the East end of the North.

diverdave

Tue May 03, 2016 9:50 pm

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 14):
How many new gates with all this expansion work?

There are currently 83 gates at SLC:

https://www.slcairport.com/about-the-airport/airport-overview/

Quoting Osubuckeyes (Reply 15):
75 with both the South and North Concourses, and an option for 15 more on the East end of the North.

So initially a reduction of 8, and eventually yielding an increase of 7.

David

Osubuckeyes

Tue May 03, 2016 9:54 pm

Quoting diverdave (Reply 16):
So initially a reduction of 8, and eventually yielding an increase of 7.

Yes, but if I am not mistaken DL doesn't fully utilize the E gates, and if I recall correctly they claimed they would reduce CRJ200 flying further along with the new terminal layout, but I may be mistaken on that.

slcguy

Tue May 03, 2016 10:20 pm

Quoting YRA (Reply 12):
As far as I am aware, I think the underground tunnel infrastructure was built years ago so construction of that won't get in the way of anything. Is that true?

Yes, a west tunnel connecting the north and south concourses has already been built. A new central tunnel connecting the new terminal to the north concourse has yet to be built but is planned in this project. With two tunnels available this could be one of the easiest airports to navigate!

OMNI435

Tue May 03, 2016 10:31 pm

Quoting diverdave (Reply 16):
There are currently 83 gates at SLC:

True but only 56 of them have jet bridges. All 75 gates in the new design will have jet bridges and can accommodate any aircraft. So in reality it is a big gain, especially if they add the 15 additional gates to the North concourse making 90 total.

Slcpilot

Wed May 04, 2016 3:11 am

I have an old image of an SLC plan with 2.5 concourses ala Denver. There actually would have been enough room for all new construction up to the north if they hadn't moved the freight folks up there. It would have required significant new roads though.

SLCPilot
I don't like to be fueled by anger, I don't like to be fooled by lust...

deltal1011man

Wed May 04, 2016 4:35 am

Quoting Osubuckeyes (Reply 17):

Yes, but if I am not mistaken DL doesn't fully utilize the E gates, and if I recall correctly they claimed they would reduce CRJ200 flying further along with the new terminal layout, but I may be mistaken on that.

correct. DL plans on going 100% F class aircraft at SLC, IIRC by the end of 2017, with the exception of at-risk OO CRJ flying.

gcb5196

Wed May 04, 2016 2:07 pm

Quoting redzeppelin (Reply 9):
1. the south arm of E concourse will be demolished very soon to make way for the new south concourse.

They have begun tearing apart the south west corner of the E concourse. I didn't see it from the inside, but it looks like they put a temporary wall. Should get pretty cramped inside with less room. Although there aren't as many flights out of the E gates like there used to be. It's nice to finally see them starting to do something. I agree with most, I am very excited about these latest developments. I am also guessing that Delta will want pretty much all of the south concourse and leave the new north concourse for everyone else.

Slcpilot

Wed May 04, 2016 2:37 pm

Here is the current plan so folks aren't confused with the old image above

I don't like to be fueled by anger, I don't like to be fooled by lust...

bkircher

Wed May 04, 2016 5:44 pm

That still seems like it would be a nightmare to build while keeping the older terminal open for the time being solely based on the fact that the new terminals shape and location does not match up with the old one.

mayor

Wed May 04, 2016 6:00 pm

Quoting Osubuckeyes (Reply 11):

In the article it says that there will be a tunnel. I doubt there will be a train. It will likely be just moving walkways a la DTW.

There used to be a short tunnel that the North/South road on the west side used to follow. It was closed when the west runways were built. THAT tunnel is west of where it would be needed for pax access.

Quoting slcguy (Reply 18):

Yes, a west tunnel connecting the north and south concourses has already been built.

See above...............I don't recall any other tunnels being built.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

Beatyair

Wed May 04, 2016 6:06 pm

It makes so much sense. To build an brand new terminal and try to attach three of the existing old concourse to it made little sense. Good on them.

slcdeltarumd11

Wed May 04, 2016 6:23 pm

Does SLC have plans to build a connected hotel? I cant remember seems like a natural as its a hub and people get stuck on mis-connects daily. Denver needed it more as hotels are so far away but still seems like SLC could benefit from one.

jsnww81

Wed May 04, 2016 7:26 pm

Quoting bkircher (Reply 24):
That still seems like it would be a nightmare to build while keeping the older terminal open for the time being solely based on the fact that the new terminals shape and location does not match up with the old one.

It'll be a long and arduous construction process for sure - any time a new complex goes up around an existing one, it's a mess. Look at FLL and SDF in the 1980s, DCA in the 1990s, MDW in the early 2000s, and the upcoming work at LGA for examples. I lived in Chicago during the Midway reconstruction, and every time I went to the airport, the layout had changed - rerouted roads, temporary plywood walkways, new and old gate areas sitting side by side. It was a pretty impressive feat but a big headache at the same time.

The end result is great, but travelers have to endure quite a lot of pain to get there.

mayor

Wed May 04, 2016 7:42 pm

Quoting Slcpilot (Reply 23):

Is this rendering complete? Seems like the terminal, itself, is rather small.

factsonly

Wed May 04, 2016 8:00 pm

Off topic, but here are the details for the inaugural KLM service May 5, 2016:

- arr. 12.35 KL 0609 AMS - Salt L. City Airbus A330-200 KLM Royal Dutch Airlines PH-AOM

mayor

Thu May 05, 2016 2:59 am

Quoting Slcpilot (Reply 20):

I remember when they came out with this particular master plan. Not long after they completed the current international terminal. They announced this, which as to be done before the 2002 Winter Olympics and we all thought it was strange that they'd tear the international building down, so soon. No matter though, because DL didn't want to spend any money, at that time, for a new terminal.

Quoting Slcpilot (Reply 23):

I misunderstood and thought they were building this in place of the plan of a couple of years ago. All they're doing is changing up the construction schedule and changing how they're going to do it. I realize the article says that there is to be a tunnel (which will have to be excavated), but the renderings on the SLC website show a connector between concourses. Of course, with the current rendering, the a/c can taxi east or west, between concourses.

Also, in regards to the tunnel, there's a problem with the water table.........where the road used to lead from the north end to the south end, there was an underpass which used to get flooded with water at certain times. Not a good situation for a pax access tunnel.

ScottB

Thu May 05, 2016 8:13 pm

It's actually not all that difficult although there will have to be several phases and passengers will end up having to traverse temporary connecting walkways during the construction process. The terminal and western halves of the south & north concourses can be built without any serious impacts on the existing terminals/concourses apart from demolishing the southern arm of the existing E concourse. Then see reply 9 above for a take on how the construction would be phased from there.

Quoting mayor (Reply 29):
Seems like the terminal, itself, is rather small.

The terminal doesn't really need to be all that large. A fairly good percentage of passengers are connecting and the amount of square footage which needs to be devoted to check-in areas is fairly small in an airport today given that so many passengers check in online now and few need to do more than check a bag. Plus most retail needs to be out on the concourses rather than in the terminal.

mayor

Thu May 05, 2016 8:33 pm

Quoting ScottB (Reply 32):
The terminal doesn't really need to be all that large. A fairly good percentage of passengers are connecting and the amount of square footage which needs to be devoted to check-in areas is fairly small in an airport today given that so many passengers check in online now and few need to do more than check a bag. Plus most retail needs to be out on the concourses rather than in the terminal.

Except during ski season. The terminal lobby, in DL's terminal alone, can be crammed full at that time of the year. No telling what it would be like if ALL the airlines were sharing one terminal.

WesternA318

Thu May 05, 2016 11:36 pm

Except during ski season. The terminal lobby, in DL's terminal alone, can be crammed full at that time of the year. No telling what it would be like if ALL the airlines were sharing one terminal.

Dont forget the hoardes of Mormons waitign for their missionaries on any given day...

Aloha717200

Fri May 06, 2016 1:51 am

I work at SLC daily and it's kind of neat to see you guys have been coming out to see our progress at the airport.   I'm going to miss the current facilities, having grown up with them, but it's definitely an exciting time for the airport.

As of right now, demolition of facilities on Concourse E has begun, as mentioned earlier, they've taken out the southwest corner of the passenger waiting area and erected a temporary wall so that you can't see the demolition from inside the building. It won't be long before the south arm of E comes down. These pictures were taken yesterday, May 4:

Inside:
http://i66.tinypic.com/i1llc9.jpg

Outside:
http://i67.tinypic.com/2ilnjc.jpg

The old rental car facilities south of the parking garage are demolished now as well. Large piles of rubble still exist where they stood. Ramp to the west of E is all chewed up as well as they break ground for the South Concourse.

toltommy

Fri May 06, 2016 2:17 am

From the maps posted, it appears that the new terminal isn't that big. It looks similar to the DTW landside. DTW was designed for pre 9/11 security. Hopefully this new building will be designed for the skier and the meet and greet crowds. The public side of IND comes to mind as something to strive for.
A300/A310/A319/A320/A321/A332/A333 / 707/712/727/732/733/734/735/738/739/752/753
/762/763/764/772/788/789/DC8/DC9-10/30/40/50/MD81/83/87/88/90/L1011-/250/500/CRJ200/440 /700/900/EMB135/140/145/170/175/190/328Jet/F70/SF3/BE1/J31

PITrules

Fri May 06, 2016 5:17 am

It is not at all hard to envision how they could triple the size of the landside terminal ("headhouse") if O&D demand warrants just by looking at the schematic.

Quoting mayor (Reply 31):
I remember when they came out with this particular master plan. Not long after they completed the current international terminal. They announced this, which as to be done before the 2002 Winter Olympics

They had a completely different plan to be done by 2000 (for the Olympics), which was never pursued other than building half the garage pictured below. The linear satellite concourse concept came later.

http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu162/JDawgphoto/IMG_4206.jpg
FLYi

Aloha717200

Fri May 06, 2016 5:55 am

Quoting PITrules (Reply 37):
They had a completely different plan to be done by 2000 (for the Olympics), which was never pursued other than building half the garage pictured below. The linear satellite concourse concept came later.

I personally would have loved to see the terminal expanded, rather than demolished, in such a way. Not sure if they could have done so while also bringing the existing facilities up to the earthquake-resistant standard that the new terminal complex will have. Still, neat to see what they had in mind. I always felt that SLC's existing buildings were oriented with the idea of a Terminal 4 down the road sitting opposite Terminal 1.

mayor

Fri May 06, 2016 4:05 pm

It is not at all hard to envision how they could triple the size of the landside terminal ("headhouse") if O&D demand warrants just by looking at the schematic.

Not sure, but from this rendering, it looks as though any terminal expansion would take place at the price of losing some ramp space, the way it's laid out.

WesternA318

Sat May 07, 2016 2:28 am

I remember this. They had a pretty good sized model of this in Terminal 1 too...

msp747

Sat May 07, 2016 3:08 am

That still seems like it would be a nightmare to build while keeping the older terminal open for the time being solely based on the fact that the new terminals shape and location does not match up with the old one

The airport website used to have a detailed series of slides on how the entire thing would play out, including the changes to the roadways to get around construction, how passengers would move from one facility to another, etc... It actually made sense when you read it. I was just on their site, but couldn't find that timeline anymore. I'm sure it's still there somewhere, and someone else will have better luck finding it. Keep in mind, it was for the last plan, not the new one with the north concourse: https://www.slcairport.com/thenewslc/

I may look small, especially next to the current Terminal 1 & 2, but that map just shows the footprint of the new building. The new facility is 2 separate levels, whereas the current terminals are only 1 level. Makes a big difference

IAHflyguy

Sat May 07, 2016 3:36 am

Quoting msp747 (Reply 41):
The airport website used to have a detailed series of slides on how the entire thing would play out, including the changes to the roadways to get around construction, how passengers would move from one facility to another, etc... It actually made sense when you read it. I was just on their site, but couldn't find that timeline anymore. I'm sure it's still there somewhere, and someone else will have better luck finding it. Keep in mind, it was for the last plan, not the new one with the north concourse: https://www.slcairport.com/thenewslc/

Was this what you had in mind?
http://business.utah.gov/wp-content/...ds/Airport-2013-patc-symposium.pdf

mayor

Sat May 07, 2016 4:12 am

Quoting msp747 (Reply 41):
The new facility is 2 separate levels, whereas the current terminals are only 1 level. Makes a big difference

Is that 2 separate levels in one building compared to 1 level in TWO buildings, currently............? I imagine, in the new plan, the terminal will have baggage claim for ALL the carriers on one level and ticketing for ALL carriers on the other level. I'm just not sure that's an increase in space or leaving any room for expansion.

msp747

Sat May 07, 2016 11:53 am

Quoting IAHflyguy (Reply 42):
Was this what you had in mind?

That was it! Thanks for tracking it down. bkircher, the stuff you are looking for is towards the end.

Quoting mayor (Reply 43):
Is that 2 separate levels in one building compared to 1 level in TWO buildings, currently............?

Yeah, everything currently is on the ground level.Terminal 2 is all DL. The other airlines are in T1, or at least that's how it used to be. So as you approach each terminal on the roadway, departures are first. The arrival area is past it, on the west side of each facility.

I'll admit, it doesn't look like they have a lot of room to work with, but I remember thinking the same thing when BOI replaced their 1 level terminal with a new 2 level one. The footprint of the new facility was smaller, but it is huge inside when compared to the old one. Obviously the scale of that project was much smaller than the SLC one, but If the people running SLC are smart enough to realize their concourse plan needed fixing, I will give them the benefit of the doubt they know how much space they need in the terminal itself. Like it has been mentioned above, the current baggage claim areas are pretty small. I'm guessing they will gain a couple more baggage carousels and probably a better system for handling skis. Maybe they'll add one of those specialized ski carousels like they have at DEN. That would probably reduce the crowds gathering around the oversized bag slide.

mayor

Sat May 07, 2016 3:28 pm

Quoting msp747 (Reply 44):
Yeah, everything currently is on the ground level.Terminal 2 is all DL. The other airlines are in T1, or at least that's how it used to be. So as you approach each terminal on the roadway, departures are first. The arrival area is past it, on the west side of each facility.

I know.........I worked there for 23 years, from '82 until '05.  

Prost

Sat May 07, 2016 3:55 pm

I wonder if the ticket counters will be perpendicular to the roadways like RDU has in their new terminal? Makes the flow through to security much smoother.

msp747

Sat May 07, 2016 4:16 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 45):
I know.........I worked there for 23 years, from '82 until '05.

Well, um... I got nothing   

Looking forward to the new layout though. Will really be a first class facility

mayor

Sat May 07, 2016 6:04 pm

Quoting msp747 (Reply 47):

Looking forward to the new layout though. Will really be a first class facility

Oh, I agree.........it's amazing what has been able to be accomplished there, over the years, since it wasn't the optimum design for a hub.

SLCUT2777
Topic Author

Sat May 07, 2016 8:36 pm

Quoting msp747 (Reply 44):
I'm guessing they will gain a couple more baggage carousels and probably a better system for handling skis. Maybe they'll add one of those specialized ski carousels like they have at DEN. That would probably reduce the crowds gathering around the oversized bag slide.

In this instance as pointed out...

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 34):
Dont forget the hoardes of Mormons waitign for their missionaries on any given day...
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos