TVNWZ

RE: DL Gate Checking Changes?

Thu May 05, 2016 6:51 pm

Quoting flashmeister (Reply 46):
Fine, although Delta should be telling people not to put medications or valuables in their carry-on rollaboards then

Do you really need to be told? Really? I believe there should be some common sense here.

mcg

Thu May 05, 2016 7:18 pm

What's PDB? Any info appreciated. Thanks.

deltaguy767

Thu May 05, 2016 7:25 pm

Quoting mcg (Reply 51):
What's PDB? Any info appreciated. Thanks.

Pre-Departure Beverages, in this context mainly domestic F
A Good Landing is one you walk away from! Any comments made on this board are my own and do not reflect the opinions or actions of my employer.

antoniemey

Thu May 05, 2016 8:31 pm

Quoting TVNWZ (Reply 50):
Do you really need to be told? Really?

Considering that at least once a month I get an idiot in my office who left their car keys in their (ticket counter) checked bag...
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

flashmeister

Thu May 05, 2016 8:37 pm

Quoting TVNWZ (Reply 50):
Do you really need to be told? Really? I believe there should be some common sense here.

Where should they keep them?

Case in point: Grandma flies out to see her grandson for the weekend. Takes one rollaboard bag with her clothes and toiletries, including meds. Suddenly, she's faced with being forced into checking it. Some of her meds are daily, expensive, and hard to replace. So, understandably, she's probably not going to trust that option.

Where exactly should she keep her meds in this case? And how would she know?

flashmeister

Thu May 05, 2016 8:39 pm

Quoting LAXtoATL (Reply 48):
No. They will advise you to remove your medication, laptop, and any other valuables in your bag.

Seems to me they're trading one delay reason for another as they get people futzing around with their bags in the jetway.

antoniemey

Thu May 05, 2016 8:47 pm

Quoting flashmeister (Reply 55):
Seems to me they're trading one delay reason for another as they get people futzing around with their bags in the jetway.

A good agent will do as much as possible in advance to avoid getting to the point of having to check bags in the jetbridge. Of course, some days there just isn't the time because you're dealing with one quick turn after another, but my standard is, if I know the flight is full, to start asking for volunteers to gate check at least 10-15 minutes before boarding starts and to keep asking until we get the number we think we need. Being a spoke city, I tend to push towards the people just going to the hub or with a tight or very long connection... the people that will naturally not want to futz with the bag at the midpoint.

But I will happily check any bag that is brought to me at the gate, no matter where the person is going. And since I usually work in Baggage Service, when I'm at the gate I make sure I, and any other agent working with me, is reminding people to remove keys, electronics, and medication before checking the bag.

TVNWZ

Thu May 05, 2016 9:09 pm

Quoting flashmeister (Reply 54):
Where should they keep them?

Well, I keep mine in a utility bag in the front pocket of my roll aboard. I unzip the pocket and remove the utility bag and take my seat. Takes ten seconds.

Or Grandma can just carry a nice, small carry on bag with her meds, a magazine, and some snacks in case her blood sugar drops. Maybe a crossword puzzle. It's not that hard.

Cubsrule
Topic Author

Fri May 06, 2016 12:16 am

Quick update: I sat around ATL for several hours this afternoon, and I definitely think there is an increased emphasis on gate checking over when I last flew DL about 6 weeks ago. Some agents are handling it much more gracefully than others.

Is the fact that Group 2 seems to be half or more of the passengers on some flights part of the problem? Making an announcement that "I will be checking bags from Group 2" is not all that meaningful given that everyone and their brother seems to be in Group 2.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

RyanairGuru

Fri May 06, 2016 3:38 am

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 58):

So true. Last year I was on a UA flight from SFO to IAD with 117 people on the upgrade list. And this was on an A320. 117/150 means that 78% of the passengers had Premier status!
Worked Hard, Flew Right

antoniemey

Fri May 06, 2016 3:45 am

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 58):
Is the fact that Group 2 seems to be half or more of the passengers on some flights part of the problem?

I don't know much about DL's boarding groups other than that pretty much anyone with status seems to be exempt from being in a group and boards before Group 1. I take it DL's groups 1, 2, and 3 fall roughly in line with UA's 3, 4, and 5?

Do those groups correspond to certain seats or is it more like the scattershot approach they used to take to have different areas of the cabin being filled at different times?

In UA's system the Global Service MileagePlus members are the only people not in a boarding group except your usual passengers who need preboarding for medical or courtesy reasons. Group 1 is then First Class and our top tier elites, Group 2 is the rest of the elites and people who have the credit cards with priority access, group 3 is window seats and people traveling in the same PNR with adjacent seats, Group 4 is middle, group 5 is aisle... generally Group 3 on UA is about half the plane and we can easily say, based on how full the flight is, that either group 5 or people late in group 4 and in group 5 will likely need to check their bags if we don't get enough voluntarily checked.

deltaguy767

Fri May 06, 2016 4:00 am

Quoting antoniemey (Reply 60):
In UA's system the Global Service MileagePlus members are the only people not in a boarding group except your usual passengers who need preboarding for medical or courtesy reasons. Group 1 is then First Class and our top tier elites, Group 2 is the rest of the elites and people who have the credit cards with priority access, group 3 is window seats and people traveling in the same PNR with adjacent seats, Group 4 is middle, group 5 is aisle... generally Group 3 on UA is about half the plane and we can easily say, based on how full the flight is, that either group 5 or people late in group 4 and in group 5 will likely need to check their bags if we don't get enough voluntarily checked.

DL boards in the following manner:
Pre-Boarding Zone: Elderly, Disabled, Families w/ young children
Premium Zone: F/J & Diamond Medallions
Sky Priority Zone: Y+, Platinum & Gold Medallions
Zone 1: Silver Medallions, DL Amex Cardholders, Starwood Elites
Zone 2/3: Y (not sure of the delineation)
A Good Landing is one you walk away from! Any comments made on this board are my own and do not reflect the opinions or actions of my employer.

antoniemey

Fri May 06, 2016 4:14 am

Quoting deltaguy767 (Reply 61):
DL boards in the following manner:

In other words, half the plane's on board by the end of the "first" boarding zone.

b727fa

Fri May 06, 2016 5:27 am

Quoting B727FA (Reply 35):
Agent and FA huddle and discuss pax load and potential bag issues.

Cubs rule:
I can categorically state that this did not happen on my flight.

How can you possibly know what the agents and the FAs did?
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

Cubsrule
Topic Author

Fri May 06, 2016 1:18 pm

Quoting B727FA (Reply 63):
How can you possibly know what the agents and the FAs did?

Well, the flight attendants' surprise is good circumstantial evidence, but I watched the whole turn so we have direct evidence too. On a turn where the flight attendants stay on the aircraft, the agent and the flight attendants can communicate by phone or communicate face to face. From the time she arrived at the gate (at which point the aircraft was already there) to the time she started checking bags, the agent who handled all of the bags neither went to the aircraft nor picked up the phone.

LAXtoATL

Fri May 06, 2016 2:31 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 64):
Well, the flight attendants' surprise is good circumstantial evidence, but I watched the whole turn so we have direct evidence too. On a turn where the flight attendants stay on the aircraft, the agent and the flight attendants can communicate by phone or communicate face to face. From the time she arrived at the gate (at which point the aircraft was already there) to the time she started checking bags, the agent who handled all of the bags neither went to the aircraft nor picked up the phone.

The FAs would need their pre-departure paperwork before boarding, so you obviously missed some communication. At which time bags and boarding procedures could have been discussed.

Cubsrule
Topic Author

Fri May 06, 2016 2:38 pm

Quoting LAXtoATL (Reply 65):
The FAs would need their pre-departure paperwork before boarding, so you obviously missed some communication.

Nope, there were two agents. The other one handled the paperwork.

LAXtoATL

Fri May 06, 2016 2:44 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 66):
Nope, there were two agents. The other one handled the paperwork.

FYI, that would have been the agent responsible for discussing the boarding process with the FAs.

Cubsrule
Topic Author

Fri May 06, 2016 3:01 pm

Quoting LAXtoATL (Reply 67):
FYI, that would have been the agent responsible for discussing the boarding process with the FAs.

Well, maybe she fell down on the job, as there was little or no communication between them.

b727fa

Sat May 07, 2016 5:47 pm

The point is, we communicate with ACS on every flight. Just because you didn't see/hear it doesn't mean it didn't happen. Even when we discuss the issue there are still times when we have to revist the issue during boarding (and a decision to check additional bags is made) and that can be difficult for everyone. ACS might decided, based on time to departure to start checking to prevent a lot of poking around in the aisle--not knowing for certain if we have room or not--but working for the OT departure. Feedback from passengers prioritize OT over bags in cabin. FA's might need to tell ACS that we can take "no more through the door" and to please start checking (even if we all thought we'd be "ok" on that leg). Boarding is a dynamic and fluid process. Very little is "standard" in boarding...each one is a little bit different.
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

Cubsrule
Topic Author

Sat May 07, 2016 8:09 pm

Quoting B727FA (Reply 69):
The point is, we communicate with ACS on every flight. Just because you didn't see/hear it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

If it happened and was effective, why the surprise onboard at the amount of checking selected by ACS?

b727fa

Sun May 08, 2016 12:57 am

You're just looking for a fight. I won't engage this. Move on. I have.

airportugal310

Sun May 08, 2016 2:00 am

Quoting B727FA (Reply 71):

Not really...you're the only one on here arguing with him, which is surprising in and of itself
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos