Quote:
Doha – Birmingham 01AUG16 – 29OCT16 Reduce from 8 to 7 weekly
Doha – Boston 06JUL16 – 28SEP16 Reduce from 7 to 6 weekly
Doha – Copenhagen 03AUG16 – 30SEP16 Reduce from 14 to 13 weekly
Doha – Houston 05JUN16 – 28AUG16 Reduce from 7 to 6 weekly
Doha – Jakarta 10JUL16 – 30SEP16 Reduce from 21 to 20 weekly
Doha – Manchester 02AUG16 – 29OCT16 Reduce from 16 to 15 weekly
Doha – Miami 01JUN16 – 30AUG16 Reduce from 7 to 6 weekly
Doha – Nairobi 07JUL16 – 29OCT16 Reduce from 21 to 20 weekly, 18 weekly from 29JUL16
Doha – Philadelphia 01AUG16 – 29AUG16 Reduce from 7 to 5 weekly
Doha – Phuket 03AUG16 – 31AUG16 Reduce from 11 to 9 weekly
Doha – Pisa 08SEP16 – 29OCT16 Reduce from 7 to 4 weekly
Doha – Sarajevo Planned service launch from 07SEP16 is postponed to 02NOV16, 3 weekly service
Doha – Stockholm 01JUN16 – 30JUN16 Reduce from 10 to 9 weekly. Service will also reduce from 10 to 8 weekly from 01AUG16 to 30SEP16
Doha – Vienna 01AUG16 – 31AUG16 Reduce from 12 to 10-11 weekly
http://airlineroute.net/2016/05/04/qr-jun16/

Thoughts?

-Miami  
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

dubaiamman243

RE: Qatar Airways Frequency Changes

Wed May 04, 2016 5:01 pm

aircraft shortage issues
The next airline CEO :crossfingers:

jasoncrh

Wed May 04, 2016 5:07 pm

This is already being discussed in another thread.

It's airplane shortage issues.

Until they are at the fleet level they thought they'd be at, they have to cut frequencies to keep flying.

In my experience, airlines cut the worst frequencies / markets until the fleet level permits full planned flying.

Miami
Topic Author

Wed May 04, 2016 5:16 pm

Quoting JasonCRH (Reply 2):

It deserves its own thread.

Quoting JasonCRH (Reply 2):
It's airplane shortage issues.

You said " This says something about the performance on those routes." in the other thread.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

jasoncrh

Wed May 04, 2016 5:23 pm

Yes.
There's an airplane shortage. They haven't received all the planes they thought they would get by now, so they have to pull down their planned flying.

They, as all airlines, want to keep their best performing flights through an unexpected aircraft shortage.

The planning / scheduling group, in consultation with the revenue management group, will know what the good/ profitable flying is.

they also have a sense / know what the bad / less profitable/ unprofitable flying would be.

So until they're where they thought they'd be, they cut flying. They cut the worst performing flights and keep the best performing flying in order to maximize revenues/ profits. Pretty clear.

Quoting Miami (Reply 3):
It deserves its own thread.

Quoting JasonCRH (Reply 2): It's airplane shortage issues.
You said " This says something about the performance on those routes." in the other thread.

jsnww81

Wed May 04, 2016 7:30 pm

Quoting JasonCRH (Reply 4):
So until they're where they thought they'd be, they cut flying. They cut the worst performing flights and keep the best performing flying in order to maximize revenues/ profits. Pretty clear.

Spot on. Airplanes are coming in slower than expected, so QR has to decide where it's going to cut flights to preserve frequency on the highest performing routes. There's a reason we aren't seeing Qatar reduce its LHR, JFK or India flying - those are likely the routes that provide critical and/or high-yielding feed to the network.

The routes being reduced may be doing alright for QR, or they may be total dogs. Either way, they're being reduced to ensure the star performers don't suffer.

a380787

Wed May 04, 2016 7:47 pm

Most of them are just a month or two ... let's not over-read the tea leaves here.

clrd4t8koff

Wed May 04, 2016 8:28 pm

Quoting jsnww81 (Reply 5):
There's a reason we aren't seeing Qatar reduce its LHR, JFK or India flying - those are likely the routes that provide critical and/or high-yielding feed to the network

Agreed about LHR, JFK and India. But I have a hard time believing that ATL, which starts June 1st on QR is coming out of the gate as a strong performer. The fact it's not listed as having any frequency cuts tells me that this isn't solely focused on under-performing routes.

I also don't think it looks that great when they start a new route like BOS just a little over a month and a half ago and already reduce service, in the middle of peak summer, especially when EK is in town with 2x daily DXB.

[Edited 2016-05-04 13:30:33]

[Edited 2016-05-04 13:31:51]

RyanairGuru

Wed May 04, 2016 8:35 pm

Quoting jsnww81 (Reply 5):

Most are reductions by one frequency per week. Those routes probably aren't week performers but their just trimming here and there on slower days. The ones to keep an eye on though are those that were cut by more than one frequency. Pisa and Philadelphia don't look good.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

jasoncrh

Wed May 04, 2016 8:56 pm

It's usually the weaker performers that go, but t here are sometimes extenuating circumstances. ATL has the extenuating circumstance of the "pissing match" between the CEO of QR and the CEO of DL. He doesn't want to lose face, so wouldn't do anything to Atlanta's frequency during the first month or two of service.
All the other ones are softer routes I'm sure, routes where they determined that losing a frequency wouldn't hurt and they'd be cutting their least-productive/ profitable flying.

Quoting clrd4t8koff (Reply 7):
Quoting jsnww81 (Reply 5):There's a reason we aren't seeing Qatar reduce its LHR, JFK or India flying - those are likely the routes that provide critical and/or high-yielding feed to the network
Agreed about LHR, JFK and India. But I have a hard time believing that ATL, which starts June 1st on QR is coming out of the gate as a strong performer. The fact it's not listed as having any frequency cuts tells me that this isn't solely focused on under-performing routes.

I also don't think it looks that great when they start a new route like BOS just a little over a month and a half ago and already reduce service, in the middle of peak summer, especially when EK is in town with 2x daily DXB.

lukeyboy95

Wed May 04, 2016 8:59 pm

Hi.

For PHL, is this also being downguaged in terms of equipment?

With much fanfare, it was an A350 but now showing 77L/W interchangeable.

Booked on this flight, so very disappointed,
Breaking down the stereotypes - one by one

compensateme

Wed May 04, 2016 9:32 pm

Quoting clrd4t8koff (Reply 7):

It appears BOS is off to a rough start; plenty of sale fares offering sub-$800 fares over the past couple months, including BKK for RT$550 at one point. That said, it may wind up being merely growing pains.

Quoting lukeyboy95 (Reply 10):

It's scheduled as a 77L the rest of the month, downgagued from the 359. Yes, it sucks that capacity was cut, and that it's not on a brand new plane or fleet type... but with 2" more legroom and 1" wider seat, I'd take the 77L in Economy over the 359.
We don’t care what your next flight is.

Planesmart

Wed May 04, 2016 9:39 pm

But some of the aircraft not received, are entirely due to QR. Like delaying ordered A380's.

usairways85

Wed May 04, 2016 10:41 pm

Quoting lukeyboy95 (Reply 10):

PHL is a 77L the month of May, then mostly 77L/77W the month of June. And so far, back to the 350 from July on. From a capacity standpoint the 77W is a bit of an upgrade. I can't speak to the hard product differences between the 350 and 77L/77W

LAXtoATL

Wed May 04, 2016 10:46 pm

Quoting JasonCRH (Reply 9):
It's usually the weaker performers that go, but t here are sometimes extenuating circumstances. ATL has the extenuating circumstance of the "pissing match" between the CEO of QR and the CEO of DL. He doesn't want to lose face, so wouldn't do anything to Atlanta's frequency during the first month or two of service.
All the other ones are softer routes I'm sure, routes where they determined that losing a frequency wouldn't hurt and they'd be cutting their least-productive/ profitable flying.

As you point out there are circumstances in addition to route performance that factor in to decisions on which routes to trim. Factors far more relevant than a pissing match with another CEO (though I agree that is probably in play). The stage length of flights and aircraft type performing the route would also be relevant and weighed heavily in determining how to trim their schedule (I wouldn't immediately presume they are just trimming all under performing routes). Trimming a couple ULH flights once a week might be less disruptive to the operation than several cuts to shorter routes.

clrd4t8koff

Thu May 05, 2016 12:37 am

Quoting compensateme (Reply 11):
It appears BOS is off to a rough start; plenty of sale fares offering sub-$800 fares over the past couple months, including BKK for RT$550 at one point. That said, it may wind up being merely growing pains.

So a new airline in a new market offers sale fares and you chalk that up to "BOS appearing to be off to a rough start?" Don't forget they only started BOS a little over a month ago. And Isn't this the same strategy every airline takes when entering a new market? TAP only recently announced BOS-LIS and had r/t sale fares for ~$350 to select cities in Europe this summer. I would absolutely chalk the QR & TP sales up to nothing more than being the new kids on the block and trying to build market share.

LJ

Thu May 05, 2016 8:15 am

Quoting LAXtoATL (Reply 14):
Trimming a couple ULH flights once a week might be less disruptive to the operation than several cuts to shorter routes

BHX, MAN and the other flights aren't ULH, but probably needed to ensure that they haven't to cut the US even more (I reckon we'll see a shift from 787 to current 777 routes as well). Given that the cuts are for peak season travel (July and August are the busiest months to/from Europe) it does give a sign which routes aren't doing that great.

BHXLOVER

Thu May 05, 2016 12:46 pm

Quoting LJ (Reply 16):
Given that the cuts are for peak season travel (July and August are the busiest months to/from Europe) it does give a sign which routes aren't doing that great.

But does it though. If you don't have the aircraft, you don't have the aircraft. So peak season or not, what can you do?
The linked articles do say that it is due to aircraft redeployment.

jasoncrh

Thu May 05, 2016 1:05 pm

Yes, it does say something. If you have no choice and must do it, you cut what is weakest. These were methodical decisions.
Maybe they all do well, but there are some that do better. Those ones are kept, and the weaker good performers are the ones that got cut. Either way, a decision had to be made, and trust me, these aren't just random decisions.

Quoting BHXLOVER (Reply 17):

But does it though. If you don't have the aircraft, you don't have the aircraft. So peak season or not, what can you do?
The linked articles do say that it is due to aircraft redeployment.

HB-IWC

Thu May 05, 2016 1:31 pm

Quoting JasonCRH (Reply 18):
Yes, it does say something. If you have no choice and must do it, you cut what is weakest.

I agree. No reductions to JFK, ORD, LAX and DFW, so that is where the priorities are.

Qatara340

Thu May 05, 2016 5:26 pm

QR have reduced their ULH destinations by 6 Weekly flights (5 in the USA, 1 in Australia) therefore, making available at least 2-3 long haul aircraft daily to be used for other flights.

QR must really suffer from the late delivery of the planes. The A350's are supposed to be coming hot from the oven one after the other now, but apparently were in May and they still have delivered as expected. Not to mention the A320 NEO's which are delayed beyond reasonable time.

QR have only 2 787's left to be delivered, only 1 (I think) 777's left; so they are betting all their coins on the A350 right now; which is not good. The A330's which have recently been retrofitted with flat beds in business class albeit with 2-2-2 configuration are still being used as an uplift. The original plane is for them to be retired.

QR needs at least 30 new wide bodies NOW (to replace the A330s, add the new 14+ destinations, plus maintain the current schedule).
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله

AABB777

Thu May 05, 2016 5:36 pm

Quoting HB-IWC (Reply 19):
Quoting JasonCRH (Reply 18):
Yes, it does say something. If you have no choice and must do it, you cut what is weakest.

I agree. No reductions to JFK, ORD, LAX and DFW, so that is where the priorities are.

It's obvious that the above destinations are most likely the most successful in the US, especially with the help of AA feed, and thus why no weekly reductions were made. IAD also does well with the help of government / Fly America business. PHL, BOS, and MIA are surely the worst performing routes for QR in the US. I know PHL does extremely poorly, and has since the day it was launched. I have no idea how QR expects to fill a plane in BOS and ATL, other than offering really cheap fares that will trash the yields.

lukeyboy95

Thu May 05, 2016 6:06 pm

It's scheduled as a 77L the rest of the month, downgagued from the 359. Yes, it sucks that capacity was cut, and that it's not on a brand new plane or fleet type... but with 2" more legroom and 1" wider seat, I'd take the 77L in Economy over the 359.
Quoting usairways85 (Reply 13):
PHL is a 77L the month of May, then mostly 77L/77W the month of June. And so far, back to the 350 from July on. From a capacity standpoint the 77W is a bit of an upgrade. I can't speak to the hard product differences between the 350 and 77L/77W

Thanks for the information. Wasn't aware of that, and had chosen route specifically to get 359.

Y class is more roomy, but C class on the A350 is very good.

It's irritating, as QR have announced with great fanfare their A350 routes, then to suddenly change equipment for months on end is poor show.
Breaking down the stereotypes - one by one

compensateme

Thu May 05, 2016 7:22 pm

Quoting clrd4t8koff (Reply 15):
So a new airline in a new market offers sale fares and you chalk that up to "BOS appearing to be off to a rough start?" Don't forget they only started BOS a little over a month ago. And Isn't this the same strategy every airline takes when entering a new market? TAP only recently announced BOS-LIS and had r/t sale fares for ~$350 to select cities in Europe this summer. I would absolutely chalk the QR & TP sales up to nothing more than being the new kids on the block and trying to build market share.

QR announced BOS almost a year before the inaugural service, then for months before the service was scheduled to start, offered fares that were were 1/2 (and sometimes even 1/3) that of its competitors. This wasn't a one-day sale with limited availability -- it was months long with wide open availability. Then QR opted to drop a frequency during heart of the largest travel period. QR may very well go on to be very successful at BOS, but this is a sign of weakness, not "the new kid on the block trying to build market share."
We don’t care what your next flight is.

Miami
Topic Author

Thu May 05, 2016 7:28 pm

Quoting AABB777 (Reply 21):
MIA

You wish. Thanks for the laugh but no where near worst. Announced as 4 weekly, shortly went to 5, then daily flights were announced in less than a year of service. Went from 77L to 77W in less than a year as well.

The flights are jammed packed most of the time. Even the CEO of QR said he's very happy with MIA's performance and that he was considering adding another pax flight plus cargo-only service.

I'm not being biased. I'm just stating the facts.

Why is this happening? Nothing more than shortage of aircraft.

jsnww81

Thu May 05, 2016 8:02 pm

Quoting Miami (Reply 24):
The flights are jammed packed most of the time. Even the CEO of QR said he's very happy with MIA's performance and that he was considering adding another pax flight plus cargo-only service.

And yet the Miami route was reduced while others (JFK, LAX, ORD, DFW) were not.

Jam-packed does not mean high-yielding. The A.net webmasters ought to put a crawl along the bottom of everyone's screen that says that.

Doesn't mean MIA isn't doing well for QR. This reduction just signals it's doing LESS well than some of the other US routes.

jasoncrh

Thu May 05, 2016 8:15 pm

Yes, shortage of aircraft. and when you hve a shortage of aircraft, you cut what's weakest.
The fact that MIA was cut and that other North American desinations like DFW, JFK, ORD, LAX weren't says something.
I've worked at an airline where we had to do these last minute types of cuts before, and we had no qualms cutting what
was worst, even if it was full.

so you're right - shortage of aircraft - and the worst perforing days/ segments are the first to go, regardless of how full they may be

You wish. Thanks for the laugh but no where near worst. Announced as 4 weekly, shortly went to 5, then daily flights were announced in less than a year of service. Went from 77L to 77W in less than a year as well.

AABB777

Thu May 05, 2016 8:35 pm

Quoting AABB777 (Reply 21):
MIA

MIA is a poor performer. Sure, QR can certainly fill up the plane and stimulate the market with low-yield pax traveling to SE Asia, but this flight only goes out full because of low fares. In Business Class, those 42 seats are also full of low-yield premium customers.

I would take whatever AAB says with a grain of salt. He's been known to get his facts wrong - often - or flat out say something that is not true.

Miami
Topic Author

Thu May 05, 2016 8:45 pm

Quoting JasonCRH (Reply 26):
so you're right - shortage of aircraft - and the worst perforing days/ segments are the first to go, regardless of how full they may be

At the end of the day, I don't care. It's going back to daily anyways.

Quoting AABB777 (Reply 27):
MIA is a poor performer.

OK, buddy. Whatever you say.

IndianicWorld

Thu May 05, 2016 10:55 pm

Internally, QR don't actually seem to feel the same way from what I have heard sorry to say.

Even though the moves you have stated there would appear to show confidence in the market, it is certainly not a great performer for QR. Not the worst, but could do far better, especially yield wise.

miaintl

Fri May 06, 2016 12:17 am

I heard TK is doing very well and putting pressure on QR in the MIA market.

Miami
Topic Author

Fri May 06, 2016 12:27 am

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 29):
Internally, QR don't actually seem to feel the same way from what I have heard sorry to say.

Sorry to say, but you heard wrong.

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 29):
Even though the moves you have stated there would appear to show confidence in the market, it is certainly not a great performer for QR. Not the worst, but could do far better, especially yield wise.

Why must I believe you all, when I know the true facts of QR at my airport?

Quoting miaintl (Reply 30):
I heard TK is doing very well and putting pressure on QR in the MIA market.

Just drop it.

eta unknown

Fri May 06, 2016 12:55 am

You seem abnormally defensive about QR & MIA... one could reasonably deduce that you have a personal benefit (employment related?) in QR's MIA ops.

IndianicWorld

Fri May 06, 2016 1:06 am

Quoting Miami (Reply 31):

Do you actually know the facts, or that blind faith in your home airport that a pax loading figure equals success?

At the end of the day, many of us are unbiased about this topic and have nothing to gain by talking it down yet we have heard similar things. Trend maybe?

Sorry if that hurts.

jsnww81

Fri May 06, 2016 2:11 am

Sorry to say, but you heard wrong.
Just drop it.

And then people wonder why everyone rolls their eyes whenever MIA comes up in a thread.

If you know the "true facts," by all means, please share. Bottom line is QR reduced frequencies to the markets that it felt could take a hit with less impact to the overall health of the network and the business.

I don't understand the strident defense of hometown airports on this site. Suggesting that a flight to a particular city might not be doing as well as others doesn't equate to criticism of the city or its people.

chrisnh

Fri May 06, 2016 9:50 am

I think one of the issues is that the ME3 carriers (plus TK) are largely carrying passengers beyond the cities they fly to. Using BOS as an example, EK, TK, and QR are all vying not to simply fly people to Dubai, Doha etc. but to India and other onward regions. So the 'capacity' we need to consider is all of these airlines collectively. In the case of BOS, four non-stop flights each day. That's one of the ways to think about this whole thing in a macro sense.

GRJGeorge

Fri May 06, 2016 10:05 am

QR also changing the dedicated DOH-JNB daily flight from 788 to 77W.
The other daily flight of which 4 weekly continues to DUR remains 788.

Any possibility that QR might increase CPT as well during peak season...as they're now doing daily 788 throughout the year, so no difference over SA's peak summer season, while others keep increasing (like EK just now added 3rd daily to CPT)...unless QR perhaps channels some traffic through the new WDH flights, connecting with Air Namibia to CPT.

adamh8297

Fri May 06, 2016 10:47 am

Quoting ChrisNH (Reply 35):

I think one of the issues is that the ME3 carriers (plus TK) are largely carrying passengers beyond the cities they fly to. Using BOS as an example, EK, TK, and QR are all vying not to simply fly people to Dubai, Doha etc. but to India and other onward regions. So the 'capacity' we need to consider is all of these airlines collectively. In the case of BOS, four non-stop flights each day. That's one of the ways to think about this whole thing in a macro sense.

Add LY as competition for TK and CX for SE Asia competition for these carriers as well.

Even with B6 feed - BOS is overserved here.

1) Wow I wish I saw that $550 fare
2) EK has been deep discounting as well - even BOS-DXB is pretty cheap
3) Euro carriers have been discounting ME routes through their hubs ex-BOS.
4) Overall - probably a good year to book whatever Asian vacation is on your bucketlist.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

TC957

Fri May 06, 2016 10:59 am

I also read that the new nonstop to AKL is being delayed to Feb ' 17 now instead of early Dec ' 16.

dubaiamman243

Fri May 06, 2016 7:07 pm

Qatar Airways will reduce DOH- BHX from 8 weekly to daily B787-8 between 1AUG-29OCT

Qatar Airways will reduce DOH - VIE from 12 weekly to 10 weekly B787-8 between 1AUG-31AUG

Qatar Airways will reduce DOH - MAN from 16 weekly to 15 weekly B777-300ER/B787-8 between 2AUG-29OC

Qatar Airways will reduce DOH - ARN from 10 weekly to 8 weekly B787-8 between 1AUG-30SEP

Qatar Airways will reduce DOH - CPH from 2 daily to 13 weekly B787-8 between 3AUG-30SEP
The next airline CEO :crossfingers:

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos