Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

apfpilot
Topic Author

Hundres Of Pilots Poised To Leave Allegiant Air

Thu May 05, 2016 7:39 pm

http://www.abc15.com/news/national/h...lots-poised-to-leave-allegiant-air

Excerpts:

This pilot satisfaction survey released Wednesday polled more than 500 captains and first officers ranging from new hires to veterans.

More than half say Allegiant's scheduling system creates confusion and fatigue. They say their pay and benefits fall below industry standards.

The survey release comes just days after Allegiant's latest incident -- this time in Phoenix.

"They had what was ostensibly a new airplane, an Airbus, have a catastrophic engine failure in the process of a go-around in Phoenix," Wells says. "Extraordinarily rare event. Something that as a professional crew member you hope you never come across in the entirety of your career."

The plane landed safely a short time later, but Wells says it's part of a culture of cutting corners on maintenance that makes pilots afraid.

"Almost half of the pilots said they will not allow their own families to fly on the aircraft. That is a stunning repudiation of the operations at Allegiant. I have never heard that before at a carrier. And that is not sour grapes. That is not to make publicity. That is a real fear that these pilots have. And the reason is because they're on the front lines and observe day in and day out the way Allegiant skimps on maintenance, pushes their aircraft."

Survey Link: https://www.apa1224.org/public/160426_AllegiantPilotSatisfactSurveyResults.pdf
Opinions are my own and do not reflect an endorsement or position of my employer.

lightsaber

RE: Hundres Of Pilots Poised To Leave Allegiant Air

Thu May 05, 2016 7:45 pm

Wow...

G4 isn't in a rainstorm... It is a Hurricane!

The FAA audit isn't helping.

Lightsaber
7 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

Rdh3e

Thu May 05, 2016 7:48 pm

Quoting apfpilot (Thread starter):
Almost half of the pilots said they will not allow their own families to fly on the aircraft.

Wow, that is a serious statement. That in itself should make anyone who flies them nervous.

Okie

Thu May 05, 2016 8:07 pm

Survey Link: https://www.apa1224.org/public/160426_AllegiantPilotSatisfactSurveyResults.pdf

I am just trying to put any significance to the poll considering it is the apa.
Yes I know there are issues at G4.

That is like going to the bar and asking who wants free drinks. Got any idea what the polling would be on that one.

Okie

MaverickM11

Thu May 05, 2016 8:08 pm

I haven't been following this but have they threatened to strike?
I don't take responsibility at all

N1120A

Thu May 05, 2016 8:09 pm

I definitely will never fly them.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

enilria

Thu May 05, 2016 8:20 pm

Quoting Rdh3e (Reply 2):

The question didn't say if it was because of safety reasons they wouldn't want their family to fly on G4. Could be other reasons like fees, bad nonrev benefits, late flights, etc.

jetmatt777

Thu May 05, 2016 8:20 pm

Quoting Rdh3e (Reply 2):
Wow, that is a serious statement. That in itself should make anyone who flies them nervous.

I seriously believe that a catastrophic disaster is in the immediate future for Allegiant. It is a shame that we have all of these warning signs, and near misses and lucky days, and they are still operating with very little FAA action. An audit is the most the FAA can do. They can't open an investigation?

LAXintl

Thu May 05, 2016 8:25 pm

Its all nonsense.

The survey was brought to you by the Teamsters, who surprise surprise are in the midst of labor negotiations with the company.

Of course they are going to come out and say pilot satisfaction is low..

From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

airtran737

Thu May 05, 2016 8:28 pm

Allegiant isn't a career destination unless you don't have a degree, or have a felony that is keeping you there. So in theory, saying more than half the pilots are looking to leave is an accurate statement.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

deltal1011man

Thu May 05, 2016 8:33 pm

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 1):

The FAA audit isn't helping.

I'm not sure its hurting, FAA won't do anything till we have a flaming hole in the ground and even then....we will just have another version of ValuJet in a few years after G4 shuts down. Wash and repeat.

Till some big changes are made in Washington (either better staffing to oversee airlines and MROs or pulling back on letting some of the work that is sent out of the country) nothing is going to change.

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 8):

And this kids, RIGHT HERE, is exactly the problem this industry has. Management sitting in the corner with a thumb up their butt yelling "ITS THE UNIONS FAULT". Maybe, if you guys didn't have such a terrible attitude and listened to labor we would be seeing the makings of an airline that is going to get people killed.

Question LAXint, if its just IBT bs then want to explain the maintenance problems?

GMAFB  

airportugal310

Thu May 05, 2016 8:45 pm

Quoting deltal1011man (Reply 10):
Maybe, if you guys didn't have such a terrible attitude and listened to labor

Ahhhhhh here we go! "Always managements fault"...

Labors favorite phrase! Oh poor you   
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

LAXintl

Thu May 05, 2016 8:48 pm

Quoting deltal1011man (Reply 10):

I happen to personally known for almost 20-year the IBT official quoted in the study press release.

He has sat on both sides of the table in his career, both as leadership at airlines and as union rep and now a national officer.

Nice guy, but essentially nothing more than a slick politician type when it comes to work. He will say, come up with whatever studies he needs to argue his point regardless of what side of the table he sits on. He has worked to bust unions, and now happens to manage one of them.

Sure things might not be rosy at G4, but its amazing the same drama and doom and gloom has been said at one IBT airline after another. Its part of the play book.

Let the FAA do its job, if they find things, great, but I am not falling for the dramatic PR headlines, especially since I know the personalities involved.

deltal1011man

Thu May 05, 2016 8:58 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 12):

Let the FAA do its job, if they find things, great, but I am not falling for the dramatic PR headlines, especially since I know the personalities involved.

dramatic PR?

yeah CFM56-5Bs puke their guts out on take off all the time. Nothing to see here, move along.  

I happen to personally known for almost 20-year the IBT official quoted in the study press release.

cool. that doesn't change anything.

Quoting airportugal310 (Reply 11):

Ahhhhhh here we go! "Always managements fault"...

I don't believe I said that.

but lets be honest. The incidents G4 has been having, who else are you going to blame? Pilots for ummm I guess not paying to fix the aircraft right out of their own bank account?

Sure things might not be rosy at G4, but its amazing the same drama and doom and gloom has been said at one IBT airline after another. Its part of the play book.

You have my attention, what other IBT airline union has been saying the same type of thing?

Republic is the only one I can think of, and only a complete fool can't see the turn over issues they are having.

WaywardMemphian

Thu May 05, 2016 9:08 pm

Well, good luck to them! It's their right to seek better employment. That's how free markets work, if there's demand, they'll better themselves and their situations. If the pilots start walking out the door, Allegiant either replaces them with other pilots seeking to better themselves from their current situation or they'll be forced to sweeten their pitch. But...I imagine it's mostly bluster or they wouldn't still be there.

LAXintl

Thu May 05, 2016 9:10 pm

Quoting deltal1011man (Reply 13):
You have my attention, what other IBT airline union has been saying the same type of thing?

ABX and Atlas/Polar for two currently

Both are hot and heavy with the dramatics, crying about low pilot satisfaction, etc, filing random obstructionist papers with the DOT, acting like whistle blowers, etc.

You need to be able to see beyond the facade and understand that unions spend heavily with lobbyist/strategist which promote these types of media and public relations actions.
If you cant achieve your goals at the table (or in court in G4 case), its routine to do so in public and try to shame or slander your opponent in the mean time hoping they will relent. Its all part of the union generated fog.

Rdh3e

Thu May 05, 2016 9:10 pm

When UA / DL / AA are hiring pilots at a pace not seen in several decades, why would anyone work for G4 in the first place?

TVNWZ

Thu May 05, 2016 9:13 pm

The survey was brought to you by the Teamsters, who surprise surprise are in the midst of labor negotiations with the company.

Of course they are going to come out and say pilot satisfaction is low..

Just because Teamsters doesn't mean they are wrong.

deltal1011man

Thu May 05, 2016 9:14 pm

Quoting Rdh3e (Reply 16):

same reason people still go to RJ airlines.....gotta start somewhere.

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 15):

Both are hot and heavy with the dramatics, crying about low pilot satisfaction, etc, filing random obstructionist papers with the DOT, acting like whistle blowers, etc.

I don't keep up with cargo carriers because I have been told time and time again by management that they aren't comparable.

You need to be able to see beyond the facade and understand that unions spend heavily with lobbyist/strategist which promote these types of media and public relations actions.

I see that just fine.
but lets not act like management doesn't play the same games.

I'm not saying unions are perfect either (which is why I have no plan of joining one) but its not hard to look at G4 and see the problems the pilots are talking about. If you want to call its PR stunts go ahead, but like I said before....... you need a lot more engine issues at other airlines to start happening to make your point valid

lightsaber

Thu May 05, 2016 9:18 pm

While the union is using the G4 issues for free press, there are fundamental issues.

I doubt the FAA audit will do much.  

Lightsaber
7 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

NWAROOSTER

Thu May 05, 2016 9:35 pm

Sounds like this would be a fitting name for this "airline." Used to refer to a few MANY years ago.

TCA………..Trash Can Airlines………..

Procrastination Is The Theft Of Time.......

MIflyer12

Thu May 05, 2016 9:41 pm

More than half say Allegiant's scheduling system creates confusion and fatigue. They say their pay and benefits fall below industry standards.

You could get the same statements from UA, AA or DL pilots. As a profession they think they're overworked, under-loved, and woefully underpaid.

mcoatc

Thu May 05, 2016 9:47 pm

Quoting airtran737 (Reply 9):
Allegiant isn't a career destination unless you don't have a degree, or have a felony that is keeping you there. So in theory, saying more than half the pilots are looking to leave is an accurate statement.
Quoting Rdh3e (Reply 16):
When UA / DL / AA are hiring pilots at a pace not seen in several decades, why would anyone work for G4 in the first place?

Allegient doesn't do overnights - all their crews do out-and-backs. I had a neighbor in Orlando who flew for them and said that it was worth it to him to be home with his young kids every night. You can spend an entire career at a major until you can hold that kind of schedule. How often do pilots say that it's not always about the money but the work rules and/or lifestyle?

ABX and Atlas/Polar for two currently

Ok, even if that's the case, and I'm not doubting that you're correct, where is the correspondingly horrendous maintenance record at those carriers as G4 has been demonstrating as of late?

When was the last time AA, DL, UA, WN, or anyone else blew a motor in a go-around? DL's A320 fleet is downright vintage, and none of theirs seem to produce liquefied titanium while making TOGA thrust.

Quoting deltal1011man (Reply 18):
but like I said before....... you need a lot more engine issues at other airlines to start happening to make your point valid
Quoting lightsaber (Reply 19):
While the union is using the G4 issues for free press, there are fundamental issues.

cbphoto

Thu May 05, 2016 9:48 pm

BREAKING NEWS Almost half of the pilot group at Spirit and Jet Blue are poised to leave as well. I don't even know why the union released this survey, besides the fact to try get the upper hand at the bargaining table. The pilot group wants a contract and wants a better schedule. Fact is, as many others have alluded to, G4 for the most part isn't your career airline and most I'm sure are looking get on with the majors. Just like the pilots at Spirit and Jet Blue. Atlas Air has lost a ton of pilots recently to the majors as well, and i'm sure it has nothing to do with how "bad" Atlas is, besides their long trips around the world.

Sadly most on Anet will believe anything they read in the media, no matter how dramatized it is.
ETOPS: Engines Turning or Passengers Swimming

wjcandee

Thu May 05, 2016 10:08 pm

Quoting Rdh3e (Reply 2):

Wow, that is a serious statement.

And it's total BS because of contract negotiations. As usual, try to destroy the airline to get them to give you what you want.

I have serious criticisms of Allegiant, but I don' t believe that the "survey" accurately reflects the true beliefs of their pilots.

I also think that it's pretty amusing how much they are whining about their creampuff schedules. The only legal basis they had for their strike last time, the only thing the Court found to be legitimate, was whether they had to take their "Baby Days" right after their baby was born, or whether they could take their Baby Days anytime. Really. Seriously. Read the court's opinion.

I think it would behoove them to make stellar-quality maintenance Job 1. Given the light schedules their aircraft fly, there is really no reason for their frequent breakdowns other than incompetent maintenance. Their mechanics may be doing their best, but there is something in the soup that doesn't taste right, and it is most likely insufficent experience/documentation/training/oversight/inspection/etc. leading to routine problems not being fixed right the first time. Maybe this molten titanium thing in the last incident is indeed a coincidence rather than part of a pattern, or maybe it isn't, but there's no doubt the pattern exists, and the metrics are beyond a standard deviation of the norm, so it is indicative of an issue somewhere in the operation. As I said in another thread, the MD80 is a widely-known aircraft with predictable failures and resolutions of those failures -- if the maint staff has the experience and tribal knowledge to do the work properly. The broohaha over that Florida mechanic was caused I think because he came to them with a lot of tribal knowledge and expectations of a certain safety culture, and was a fish out of water in their shop.

[Edited 2016-05-05 15:18:33]

n471wn

Thu May 05, 2016 10:09 pm

Just ridiculous how supposedly intelligent people on airliners.net say such things as they will not fly G4 and apparently have no appreciation of probability. G4 has never lost a human life over millions of flights and like ANY other airline they may have an accident in the future but it does not mean you do not fly them. We fly them to Provo all the time and from here in OAK it is called Mormon Air!!

wjcandee

Thu May 05, 2016 10:21 pm

Quoting n471wn (Reply 25):
G4 has never lost a human life over millions of flights

Probably not milllions of flights; maybe millions of passenger-miles.

Regardless, as NASA always points out, an airline's history of fatal accidents tells you nothing about the future likelihood of fatal accidents, because they happen so infrequently that they don't provide any statistical guidance. What I can tell you is that a history of close calls dramatically-increases the likelihood of what is a still-very-improbable event.

spinkid

Thu May 05, 2016 11:12 pm

Surveys are easily manipulated by the way the questions are worded. I never put much faith into them.

Moose135

Thu May 05, 2016 11:17 pm

I'm not one to say "if you don't like it, get another job" but this makes me wonder:

Almost half of the pilots said they will not allow their own families to fly on the aircraft.

Pilots think G4 is so unsafe, they won't let their families fly on it, but they're willing to accept money to fly other people's families on it.
KC-135 - Passing gas and taking names!

F9Animal

Thu May 05, 2016 11:44 pm

I am certain more than half of G4's pilots are wanting to leave. Allegiant sure isn't a labor friendly airline, or customer friendly airline. Come to think of it, most airlines fall into that category. I am also confident G4 has very high turnover. G4 isn't an airline to make it a lifetime career.

What G4 does need is a new leadership team. Allegiant isn't proving to be very healthy.
I Am A Different Animal!!

n471wn

Fri May 06, 2016 12:01 am

Say what you will folks but G4 is the most profitable airline in the USA and Aviation Week ranked airlines not too long ago and they were #1 so if you do not want to fly them then do not---they do not need you!!!!

DualQual

Fri May 06, 2016 12:20 am

Quoting MIflyer12 (Reply 21):

Every poster on here says unions are the sole reason any airline has ever experienced problems or shutdown.

I can generalize a bunch of garbage too.  
There's no known cure for stupid

deltal1011man

Fri May 06, 2016 12:40 am

You could get the same statements from UA, AA or DL pilots. As a profession they think they're overworked, under-loved, and woefully underpaid.

yes and we can look at all these cool little stats and even the CBA's themselves to see if its true or not.
I think you should compare G4 to the US4 and see just how bad they are treated compared to the US4.

Quoting n471wn (Reply 30):

Say what you will folks but G4 is the most profitable airline in the USA and Aviation Week ranked airlines not too long ago and they were #1 so if you do not want to fly them then do not---they do not need you!!!!

That is safety right there!  

what an amazingly stupid statement.

Quoting DualQual (Reply 32):

Every poster on here says unions are the sole reason any airline has ever experienced problems or shutdown.

most!
I'm defending the pilots here!

Max Q

Fri May 06, 2016 1:00 am

yeah CFM56-5Bs puke their guts out on take off all the time.

Really ?

Do you have something to back up that statement ?

Uncontained failures are quite rare, they certainly don't happen 'all the time'

Allegiant is another Valujet, why this is being allowed to happen again is beyond me, I hope the
price will not be tragic again.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

deltal1011man

Fri May 06, 2016 1:05 am

Quoting Max Q (Reply 34):

Did you miss the  ?
clearly sarcasm.........  

WaywardMemphian

Fri May 06, 2016 1:08 am

I'm surprised they didn't mention inadequate lodging

Quoting Moose135 (Reply 28):
Pilots think G4 is so unsafe, they won't let their families fly on it, but they're willing to accept money to fly other people's families on it.

#integrity

Quoting wjcandee (Reply 24):

I also think that it's pretty amusing how much they are whining about their creampuff schedules. The only legal basis they had for their strike last time, the only thing the Court found to be legitimate, was whether they had to take their "Baby Days" right after their baby was born, or whether they could take their Baby Days anytime. Really. Seriously. Read the court's opinion.

That's straight union right there, I'm shocked they didn't demand being able to defer bereavement days.

Max Q

Fri May 06, 2016 1:12 am

Quoting deltal1011man (Reply 35):
Did you miss the ?
clearly sarcasm.........

My mistake D1011,

Best wishes !

GGg

BryanG

Fri May 06, 2016 1:17 am

Correct.

I'm a lawyer and my law firm handles many union-employer disputes, especially bitter ones. It's a form of politics. Everything said by both sides has a certain degree of exaggeration to it. The deeper the dispute, the more they exaggerate. Don't believe any of this literally. If Allegiant is as tough on its unions as it is on its own customers (!), I can totally believe the Union would try to smear them as hard as possible on safety.

Revelation

Fri May 06, 2016 1:32 am

I agree. I have a standing offer with my family members who live near G4 airports to book with other airlines and I'll pay the difference.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 5):
I definitely will never fly them.

G4 has never lost a human life over millions of flights and like ANY other airline they may have an accident in the future but it does not mean you do not fly them.

Sure, you can die any moment anywhere on an airplane or not on an airplane, but in my book it's clear that G4's heading towards a tragedy. You can say the odds of dying on an airplane are so low why worry, but then I can say for not much more money you can avoid the drama and a much better flying experience too. It's a no brainer in my book.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

sunking737

Fri May 06, 2016 2:18 am

Even if pilots walk away G4 has cash to hire subservice carriers, I used to work for one of them, hired my airline as crews timed out for the month....Calling Eastern, Miami Air to name two.......
"Don't believe it unless its parked on the ramp, or printed in the schedule...SUBJECT TO CHANGE"
Retired MSP Ramper

IPFreely

Fri May 06, 2016 2:21 am

As Darcy reported: "Las Vegas-based KTNV's Darcy Spears has been investigating Allegiant for nearly a year. She reports why hundreds of pilots say they're looking to leave."

For nearly a year hundreds are looking to leave and nobody has left? And no follow up on why not? Very weak reporting.

OB1504

Fri May 06, 2016 2:58 am

G4 has never lost a human life over millions of flights

ValuJet never killed anyone either... up until they did.

I fully expect G4 to have a fatal hull loss within the next two years in the (likely) event that the FAA doesn't intervene.

Quoting n471wn (Reply 30):

They are profitable, therefore safety is irrelevant?

Quoting Revelation (Reply 39):
I agree. I have a standing offer with my family members who live near G4 airports to book with other airlines and I'll pay the difference.

Recently talked a friend out of buying a ticket on G4 even though it was $100 cheaper. This latest incident just reinforces my belief that she made the right choice by flying a different airline.

A332DTW

Fri May 06, 2016 3:28 am

When an airline's own employees do not feel confident in their company's safety culture... that's hard to look past.

n471wn

Fri May 06, 2016 3:57 am

Quoting OB1504 (Reply 42):
[/q

So my statement is stupid when I said G4 does not need you? I guess it is easier to say stupid than come up with an intelligent response

n471wn

Fri May 06, 2016 4:00 am

You just cost your friend $100 as her flight landed safely of course and this is simply a failure to understand and probability

rbavfan

Fri May 06, 2016 4:01 am

yeah CFM56-5Bs puke their guts out on take off all the time.

It was a go around, not a T-O.

Max Q

Fri May 06, 2016 4:22 am

ValuJet never killed anyone either... up until they did.
hey are profitable, therefore safety is irrelevant?

Good points, Vjet ran a dodgy operation very much like Allegiant, however their crash
in the Everglades was not their fault.

They were very profitable too, in fact they had so much cash (relatively) they were able
to survive an extended FAA shutdown, restart operations and acquire another Airline (Airtran)

Most start ups would never have survived that.

Allegiant is a very bad situation.

GGg

alasizon

Fri May 06, 2016 4:30 am

Whether or not this is more of a PR piece or a true sentiment piece, if G4 was to lose 100 pilots before being able to backfill the positions, what would the effects be? I don't know what their slack and reserves are like but I'm curious as to what would likely happen if true.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

DualQual

Fri May 06, 2016 4:42 am

Quoting deltal1011man (Reply 33):

Not directed at you. Cheers!
There's no known cure for stupid

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos