Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

enilria

RE: WN May 19 Schedule Release For Nov-Jan 4 Flying.

Thu May 19, 2016 6:04 pm

Quoting usflyguy (Reply 94):
Quoting enilria (Reply 93):

One of the poster children for the synergy of FL/WN..(sad trombone sound effect)

I didn't realize that FL started flying there before WN bought them... Oh, wait. They didn't. WN started the route on FL metal after the purchase.

Exactly. And it was added as an example of synergy between WN-FL. Linking an FL strong city to a WN strong city...and it failed, like others. What is your point?

DariusBieber

Thu May 19, 2016 6:05 pm

Quoting usflyguy (Reply 91):
MCI-SAT adding daily

This surprises me. Don't think it'll last. There's not much connection traffic at MCI or SAT and the O&D numbers cannot be that high between the two cities.
Aerospace Engineering student

dc10lover

Thu May 19, 2016 6:16 pm

I wonder how ticket sales are doing with Southwest's current airfare sale.
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

crazytoaster

Thu May 19, 2016 6:24 pm

The Southwest blog post is up now.
http://www.blogsouthwest.com/turkey-...er-2016-schedule-is-now-available/

A.net already uncovered all of the changes. Not that exciting of a release but remember LAX-PVR/SJD/CUN is coming soon, just need approvals. Also Cuba flying is on the horizon.
DEN homebase. Frequent traveler to IND and RNO.

usflyguy

Thu May 19, 2016 6:26 pm

Quoting AWACSooner (Reply 97):
PA-THETIC!!! Once again, they're handing the entire southeast monopoly to DL...and the accompanying sky-high airfares.

It shouldn't matter since, according to many posters here on a.net, WN no longer lowers fares in markets.

Quoting enilria (Reply 100):
Exactly. And it was added as an example of synergy between WN-FL. Linking an FL strong city to a WN strong city...and it failed, like others. What is your point?

It's 1 flight each way that's been cancelled and WN has decided that'll it make more money elsewhere with that aircraft. But you are correct, WN is a failure and will be pulling out of ATL shortly. Weren't you the one speculating that WN would only fly to focus cities from ATL?

BTW... ATL received a bunch of frequency additions on Saturday in addition to daily frequency additions on ATL-SAN and ATL-STL.
My post is my ideas and my opinions only, I do not represent the ideas or opinions of anyone else or company.

enilria

Thu May 19, 2016 6:30 pm

Quoting usflyguy (Reply 104):
It's 1 flight each way that's been cancelled and WN has decided that'll it make more money elsewhere with that aircraft.

It's exactly what happened with ATL-ORF and ATL-SDF which were the same synergy game plan.

dc10lover

Thu May 19, 2016 6:50 pm

Southwest Airlines new service between SJC & SLC.
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

Cubsrule

Thu May 19, 2016 7:01 pm

Quoting DariusBieber (Reply 101):
There's not much connection traffic at MCI or SAT and the O&D numbers cannot be that high between the two cities.

MCI adds access to much of the upper midwest, actually. Remember that even MDW has only two nonstops to SAT.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

southwest1675

Thu May 19, 2016 7:17 pm

The fact that BNA-SEA is still seasonal is beyond me.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

usflyguy

Thu May 19, 2016 7:41 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 29):
Again, we are talking about whether WN will announce long-hauls NOW. All the other decisions you are talking about were made a long time ago. You act as if WN is the worst managed company ever and doesn't evolve with changing conditions. Oil is higher now than when those routes were announced and I've noticed diminished interest in long flights from them. NK said the same thing in their quarterly call.

BTW... BWI-SJC was added, is that long-haul, or no?    

As well as the resumption of AUA-HOU, BWI-SJD, BWI-SJO, and an additional frequency on BWI-OAK.

[Edited 2016-05-19 12:43:22]
My post is my ideas and my opinions only, I do not represent the ideas or opinions of anyone else or company.

ANA787

Thu May 19, 2016 7:45 pm

Quoting Southwest1675 (Reply 108):
The fact that BNA-SEA is still seasonal is beyond me.

AS flies the market year-round. There is more than enough capacity.

AirFiero

Thu May 19, 2016 7:52 pm

Quoting wnflyguy (Reply 85):

I just noticed SLC-SJC 2 times daily!

So this is new, right? A shot a AS, maybe?

SANFan

Thu May 19, 2016 8:07 pm

Quoting AirFiero (Reply 111):
So this is new, right? A shot a AS, maybe?

More of a shot at DL!

AS ops 1 Q daily r/t, not a real major network asset. But it IS an AS route, so in a way, perhaps...

I think it's more a case of WN thinking "let's add a couple of new routes at SJC."

bb

ScottB

Thu May 19, 2016 8:28 pm

Looks like WN isn't backing down from the fight with B6 at SJU. SJU-BWI/FLL/TPA all go from one daily to two dailies, while SJU-TPA goes from 3x to 5x. Also, counter to the conventional wisdom about Houston, WN adds a whopping 7 daily departures from HOU; I wonder if that's intended to put some pressure on UA on the domestic side.

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 107):
Quoting DariusBieber (Reply 101):
There's not much connection traffic at MCI or SAT and the O&D numbers cannot be that high between the two cities.

MCI adds access to much of the upper midwest, actually. Remember that even MDW has only two nonstops to SAT.

MCI offers connections to a bunch of places outside the Midwest, too -- like BOS, LGA, DCA, PDX, SEA, OAK, ATL. It really depends on how the flights are scheduled.

SANFan

Thu May 19, 2016 9:08 pm

BTW... ATL received a bunch of frequency additions on Saturday in addition to daily frequency additions on ATL-SAN and ATL-STL.

Clarify please... I see one more-or-less daily SAN-ATL r/t on the new schedule, which is the same as it's been for 2 years, when it was reduced from double-daily.

bb

AWACSooner

Thu May 19, 2016 9:25 pm

It shouldn't matter since, according to many posters here on a.net, WN no longer lowers fares in markets.

Well they just gave DL carte-blanche to jack up the airfares to and through ATL out of OKC.

AirFiero

Thu May 19, 2016 9:28 pm

Quoting SANFan (Reply 112):
More of a shot at DL!

AS ops 1 Q daily r/t, not a real major network asset. But it IS an AS route, so in a way, perhaps...

I think it's more a case of WN thinking "let's add a couple of new routes at SJC."

The reason why I say that is that someone earlier or in another thread mentioned that Southwest would retaliate against Alaska.

DariusBieber

Thu May 19, 2016 9:40 pm

Quoting ScottB (Reply 113):
MCI offers connections to a bunch of places outside the Midwest, too -- like BOS, LGA, DCA, PDX, SEA, OAK, ATL. It really depends on how the flights are scheduled.
Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 107):

True. But all of those destinations can be served via BNA, STL or MDW. And PDX, SEA, OAK are better served via DEN, LAS, or PHX. And WN already has SAT nonstop service to ATL.

Like I said, SAT-MCI just feels like a weird service. I know Midwest Airlines barely lasted one year on that route with a CR2.

[Edited 2016-05-19 14:42:18]

knope2001

Thu May 19, 2016 10:15 pm

Quoting DariusBieber (Reply 117):
Like I said, SAT-MCI just feels like a weird service. I know Midwest Airlines barely lasted one year on that route with a CR2.

Actually Midwest flew mainline MCI-SAT 2x/day as far back as 1999 and operated for several years. SkyWest took it over as YX* (for a time as 3x/day CRJ) but the airline was in such bad shape as fuel skyrocketed most secondary MCI markets were cut in 2008 or so. So it lasted around 9 years.

phllax

Thu May 19, 2016 10:40 pm

Interesting to note is that there is a BUR-PDX daily r/t which hasn't been mentioned before. It appears to start Saturday, August 7. It's mid-day each way.

DariusBieber

Thu May 19, 2016 11:46 pm

Quoting knope2001 (Reply 118):
Actually Midwest flew mainline MCI-SAT 2x/day as far back as 1999 and operated for several years. SkyWest took it over as YX* (for a time as 3x/day CRJ) but the airline was in such bad shape as fuel skyrocketed most secondary MCI markets were cut in 2008 or so. So it lasted around 9 years.

I thought they flew mainline 2x/day SAT-MKE? And then it changed to MCI with a CR2? Or do I have that mixed up?

PlanesNTrains

Fri May 20, 2016 1:00 am

Quoting enilria (Reply 76):
Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 62):
An announcement like this I imagine Enilria calling "signalling". Who are they signalling, and why?

You are talking about the AS adds?

Yes, the AS adds. Why add them (mention them) so far out? Seems odd.

Quoting phllax (Reply 119):
Interesting to note is that there is a BUR-PDX daily r/t which hasn't been mentioned before. It appears to start Saturday, August 7. It's mid-day each way.

Along with BUR-SJC, this is a route I'm thrilled to see.

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

SANFan

Fri May 20, 2016 1:25 am

Quoting phllax (Reply 119):
Interesting to note is that there is a BUR-PDX daily r/t which hasn't been mentioned before.

That would have been mentioned and discussed here back in mid-February when WN's August 6 schedule extension was announced.

bb

knope2001

Fri May 20, 2016 2:42 am

Quoting DariusBieber (Reply 120):
I thought they flew mainline 2x/day SAT-MKE? And then it changed to MCI with a CR2? Or do I have that mixed up?

Midwest didn't fly nonstop from MKE to SAT. Much of the time they flew MCI-SAT the flights actually operated MKE-MCI-SAT, though of course when MCI-SAT went to CRJ the thru flights to/from MKE stopped.

About a year or two after YX* MCI-SAT ended and the Frontier merger took place, Frontier did operate MKE-SAT nonstop 3x/week on the E190. But that was well after they consolidated into Frontier.

usflyguy

Fri May 20, 2016 3:20 am

Quoting SANFan (Reply 114):
Clarify please... I see one more-or-less daily SAN-ATL r/t on the new schedule, which is the same as it's been for 2 years, when it was reduced from double-daily.

I wasn't paying attention to the dates, it was the holiday schedule that I had pulled up. Departing ATL at 8:30 am and 6 pm and departing SAN 7:25 am and 1:30 pm.

Looks like BWI-OAK is the same situation...

[Edited 2016-05-19 20:23:49]

phllax

Fri May 20, 2016 4:07 am

Quoting SANFan (Reply 122):
Quoting phllax (Reply 119):Interesting to note is that there is a BUR-PDX daily r/t which hasn't been mentioned before. That would have been mentioned and discussed here back in mid-February when WN's August 6 schedule extension was announced.

It wasn't in there either, I checked. What was in there was 2x SNA-PDX. This must be a last minute add in retaliation to AS announcing BUR-SJC.

einsteinboricua

Fri May 20, 2016 3:20 pm

Quoting HeeseokKoo (Reply 83):
A couple of hours ago, year-end week (Dec 26-30) was dirt cheap but now all raised. Well, Dec 31st and Jan 1st is still cheap.

I snagged an outgoing BWI-MCO flight for $185 the Saturday before Thanksgiving and it was the last one apparently. The return flight is the Saturday after Thanksgiving so I expected it to be more expensive. Still, all in all it was about $200 cheaper than legacy carriers.

I looked into BWI-SJU flights for Xmas vacation (to please the parents)...I'm gonna pass. $1200+ round-trip.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos