Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Nola

RE: Delta Strategy Over Next 5 Years?

Wed May 11, 2016 3:28 pm

Quoting Nola (Reply 49):

Quoting atypical (Reply 48):

MSP is third largest for number of departures...

March 2016
429 DTW
408 MSP

And enplanements...

12,589,144 DTW
12,442,497 MSP

I misread the article(s) where Bastain said that MSP was Delta's second home as second largest hub....

The article actually says that MSP is projected to become Delta's second largest hub....

Delta’s acquisition of Northwest Airlines left the Twin Cities without a large hometown carrier. It took some administrative jobs to Atlanta, eliminated others and stoked worries about the region’s economic development.

“I acknowledge there was a lot of anxiety post-merger about what was going to happen. But remember it wasn’t just the merger, we did the merger at the bottom of the economic collapse,” Bastian said. “We look at Minneapolis as our second home.”

He added that many companies downsized at that time, but Delta has emerged stronger than it was before the merger and economic downturn.

“The business today is in much better shape than it was pre-merger, not just the quality of the service and quality of the operation but the actual size of the business,” he said.

Delta has invested significantly in its Detroit hub as well, but the airline’s projections show MSP this summer will become Delta’s second-largest hub after Atlanta.

I cannot get the link to the article to post. The article was in the Star Tribune and is titled: Delta's Bastian says MSP at top of list for routes to Tokyo's Haneda

seabosdca

Wed May 11, 2016 4:06 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 46):
As we're already seeing, A332 can fly nearly all the TPACs they'd want out of SEA. Perhaps not optimally, but functionally.

Why would they do that when they have aircraft on order, at good pricing, that can do it the right way? We've heard lots of reports they're very unhappy with the 332's performance on HKG in particular, and the 763 is hardly the perfect aircraft for the shorter routes either.

Everyone works very hard to try to find a way for Delta not to take these 787s, for some reason I don't understand, when all the actual evidence suggests the 787s would fit well into the network and the airline plans to take them.

caetravlr

Wed May 11, 2016 4:39 pm

Quoting questions (Reply 11):
Quoting georgiaame (Reply 16):

While I have been blindly devoted to DL since I was a boy growing up in a small SW GA town and have stuck to them fairly religiously throughout my professional life, they really ARE banking on the fact that their operationally reliability will stay superior to the remaining legacy carriers in the US. They are banking on this providing enough value to keep their higher value customers flying them at higher fares. Meanwhile, they are totally diminishing the comfort in the back of the plane and reducing the value of loyalty. Combine that with the other two legacies having more beneficial relationships with a better overall collection of alliance partners and the continued rapid erosion of FF benefits, and you give the average flyer less and less reason to stay loyal.

Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 27):
My, someone does not like Delta. It's a shame because they are doing so many things right.

They are doing things right for the short term balance sheet and stock price, sure. But as AA and UA improve their operations, the factors they are banking on at this point will no longer suffice to maintain the current level of financial performance. While I actually agree with keeping the workforce happy and keeping the unions at bay, the rest of the points listed by questions are painfully accurate if a bit exaggerated.
A woman drove me to drink and I didn't have the decency to thank her. - W.C. Fields

atypical

Wed May 11, 2016 5:17 pm

Quoting Nola (Reply 49):
I misread the article(s) where Bastain said that MSP was Delta's second home as second largest hub....

MSP was Delta's second largest hub for several years. In 2014 and the years prior it was larger than DTW however DTW has been growing and/or MSP has been shrinking. MSP was NW's home base while DTW was inherited from Republic. Your interpretation was accurate.

LAX772LR

Wed May 11, 2016 5:41 pm

Quoting seabosdca (Reply 51):
Why would they do that when they have aircraft on order, at good pricing, that can do it the right way?

They have multiple models now that can "do it the right way," whatever that means.

We've heard lots of reports they're very unhappy with the 332's performance on HKG in particular, and the 763 is hardly the perfect aircraft for the shorter routes either.

Perhaps, but it still does not validate your factually false statement that the A359 will be the smallest thing that can fly most of the TPACs out of SEA, because that's just plain not true.

Everyone works very hard to try to find a way for Delta not to take these 787s, for some reason I don't understand,

Well, on that part I'll certainly agree.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

seabosdca

Wed May 11, 2016 6:11 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 54):
They have multiple models now that can "do it the right way," whatever that means.

Hardly. They struggle to fill the 332 and it can't carry cargo, which they want to do. Anything else they have that can fly the route is much bigger and would perform even worse.

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 54):
Perhaps, but it still does not validate your factually false statement that the A359 will be the smallest thing that can fly most of the TPACs out of SEA, because that's just plain not true.

Neither the 763 nor the 332 will be around forever. 764 and 339 will be the only smaller widebodies in the fleet eventually if no 787s are taken, and they can't fly the route. Why, exactly, was I wrong?

mayor

Wed May 11, 2016 6:19 pm

Quoting seabosdca (Reply 55):
They struggle to fill the 332 and it can't carry cargo,

Explain why it can't carry cargo.........is it because it needs all the fuel it can hold to get to the destination?
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

SESGDL

Wed May 11, 2016 8:10 pm

Neither the 763 nor the 332 will be around forever. 764 and 339 will be the only smaller widebodies in the fleet eventually if no 787s are taken, and they can't fly the route. Why, exactly, was I wrong?

I'd venture a guess that the 332 will outlive the 764 in DL's fleet considering that they are newer and longer ranged.

Thanks,
Jeremy

seabosdca

Wed May 11, 2016 8:17 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 56):
Explain why it can't carry cargo.........is it because it needs all the fuel it can hold to get to the destination?

Not necessarily all the fuel it can hold (the 332 has enormous fuel capacity), but the fuel weighs enough to take cargo out of the equation.

Quoting SESGDL (Reply 57):
I'd venture a guess that the 332 will outlive the 764 in DL's fleet considering that they are newer and longer ranged.

Entirely possible, and I guess I was being a bit unfair to the 330 there. The 764 has a longer cycle life but with the way Delta has used the 332s they're not too likely to run out of cycles.

[Edited 2016-05-11 13:19:15]

BoeingGuy

Wed May 11, 2016 8:59 pm

2. Continue to market the hell out of a rewards program with minimal potential for free airline trips

There is some truth to this, drivel or not. DL's frequent flier redemption availability is an absolute joke. I can give many examples. I remember looking at SEA-UIO. DL wanted more miles for an inflated cost coach ticket than AA wanted for a first/business class ticket. Of course DL's itinerary was a 10 hour layover in ATL because there was nothing available at any decent connection. Ever try booking an award ticket SEA-Asia and think you'll get the SEA-NRT flight?

Unless things have changed the last time I looked, DL's awards are almost a bait-and-switch game.

delimit

Wed May 11, 2016 11:26 pm

Quoting caetravlr (Reply 52):
They are doing things right for the short term balance sheet and stock price, sure.

Improving their balance sheet is not a short term strategy.

Quoting caetravlr (Reply 52):
While I actually agree with keeping the workforce happy and keeping the unions at bay, the rest of the points listed by questions are painfully accurate if a bit exaggerated.

2 and 4 have some substance. The rest of it is drivel. Unless you feel that catering by Piggly WIggly is a "slight exaggeration."

mayor

Thu May 12, 2016 3:23 am

3. Turn Delta One into the current main cabin product and convince passengers they are getting something luxurious

Do you have ANY idea how much DL has invested in new interiors, etc. in the past few years?

10. Prevent new unions from organizing the work force

I guess it depends on who you ask, but it really hasn't been necessary (except for the pilots, MAYBE) for almost 87 years, now.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

laca773

Thu May 12, 2016 8:43 am

Quoting Sooner787 (Reply 28):
I doubt we'll ever see 787's in DL colors

I believe we will see the 787 in DL colors. It will be a few years, but it will happen.
The 787-8 is the perfect a/c for routes DL previously flown, but dropped when the economy went down hill and fuel prices through the ceiling.
From JFK:
BUD
WAW
PRG
LED.

SEA:
HKG
MNL

I'm sure there are many others as well that can do well with the 787-8, but anything larger, won't work.

hkcanadaexpat

Thu May 12, 2016 9:29 am

Quoting laca773 (Reply 62):
I believe we will see the 787 in DL colors.

Given the size of the airline and the fact that it flies (or has flown) every single type of smaller twin-aisle jets, the odds are certainly in the favour of Delta buying 787s at some point in the life cycle of that series. When and which variant who knows but i hardly doubt someone, even in this forum, thinks it definitely won't happen.

That being said, it certainly doesn't seem to be a priority within Delta (i.e. 5 year plan). There are zillions of 763ERs still in the fleet with many many years to go. Those, along with the 757s, will cater to the thinner routes in the system for some time coming. Delta, with regards to long-haul, is currently focused on getting rid of the 747s as soon as possible. It has selected the A359 for that replacement. Some will say the capacity is not the same but with a company the size of Delta you definitely switch things around to match capacity to demand (hence why the A359s are not going to initially fly on the 747 routes but out of Seattle where they are warranted the most with the SEA based aircraft moving in the system). Second, Delta is focused on replacing the oldest 19x 763ERs (171-184+150-156). It has selected A339 for that job. Again not the same capacity so things will move around. Delta will be sending the A339s on the high density transatlantic routes with the remaining 763ERs to focus on the smaller markets.

And that takes you long haul fleet size on Delta's 5 year plan. 747s out. A359s in. oldest 763ERs out. A339s in.

Now you ask, what's next on the long haul fleet plans of Delta? Does that mean no more long haul orders over the next 5 years? The answer is certainly not. Delta should order more long haul planes in the next 5 year but not likely for delivery in the next 5 years. First on the list of priorities will be the ageing 757s. Will they go for the A321neoLR or be a launch customer for the MoM? The next batch of wide bodies will 16x 763ERs (185-199+394). Oddly enough the order of 18x 788s matches that perfectly. Will it be confirmed as a replacement? Will they order more A330neos? Those are the two next decisions Delta has to take with regards to long-haul. The rest of the 763ERs, 764s, A332s, A333s and 772ERs are not going anywhere anytime soon.

A

caetravlr

Thu May 12, 2016 11:15 am

Quoting delimit (Reply 60):
Improving their balance sheet is not a short term strategy.

It is if you alienate the majority of your most loyal customers along the way.

Quoting delimit (Reply 60):
Unless you feel that catering by Piggly WIggly is a "slight exaggeration."

You're right, Piggly Wiggly deli has some great Fried Chicken, it would be an improvement.
A woman drove me to drink and I didn't have the decency to thank her. - W.C. Fields

aviationaware

Thu May 12, 2016 1:09 pm

True, but while exaggerated, not totally inaccurate. The price of oil has dropped precipitously, but the airline fuel "surcharges", which were never fuel surcharges, have not disappeared.

Flying today is aprox. 20% cheaper than 2 years ago and 50% cheaper than 20 years ago. You better back up your claims of airlines not passing on savings with some data.

Just because Delta is a very successful company these days does not mean they are ripping customers off, and while I understand some people are under the delusion that there is no competition in the airline industry, that's absolutely incorrect and baseless.

tlecam

Thu May 12, 2016 1:20 pm

Regarding the 787, I think that DL isn't convinced that it is the right plane for all of its TATL flying, specifically as a replacement for the 763. I think that DL believes that the 787 is "too much plane" for those missions - it is built and optimized for longer missions. DL, between JFK, DTW and ATL, have a lot of relatively short flights to Europe.

That doesn't mean that the 787 won't find a role at DL, but I'm not sure that they think it's the 763 TATL replacement.
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

Polot

Thu May 12, 2016 2:01 pm

Quoting tlecam (Reply 66):
That doesn't mean that the 787 won't find a role at DL, but I'm not sure that they think it's the 763 TATL replacement.

The problem is the other options are not any better. The A330(neo) does not outperform the 787 in those missions. It's trump card is it's much cheaper acquisition costs (and availability for now).

mayor

Fri May 13, 2016 12:16 am

ut the airline fuel "surcharges", which were never fuel surcharges, have not disappeared.

Actually, I believe that the ones that were imposed on freight shipments, have disappeared, after I retired in '05.

global1

Fri May 13, 2016 12:43 am

If Delta's strategy for the next five years is half as successful as the past 5 have been, it would be a stellar trajectory and result.

bluejackets

Fri May 13, 2016 1:43 am

Quoting mayor (Reply 42):
I think many of the employees that have been there awhile might disagree with you in some ways. But no matter.

It is totally meant to be a compliment to DL that they are a totally different airline. They are totally different because they are better.

Specific tactics include:
1. Stuff 300 seats into the 739
2. Continue to market the hell out of a rewards program with minimal potential for free airline trips
3. Turn Delta One into the current main cabin product and convince passengers they are getting something luxurious
4. Make Diamond Medallion status the new Silver
5. Continue the tradition of the CEO blathering at the beginning of each preflight safety video... "Hey y'all..."
6. Determine how to calculate a passenger BMI surcharge into the fare paid
7. Announce a new premium cabin catering program partnership with the Piggly Wiggly deli
8. Roll out new front line uniforms
9. Roll out new premium cabin service ware

My mistake. I totally missed #6 on here. That one, I do not agree with at all.
It's funny when I tell people I love planes and they think I'm weird.

mayor

Fri May 13, 2016 2:54 am

Quoting bluejackets (Reply 70):
They are totally different because they are better.

Don't forget that DL was a very profitable airline for many years after I started in '71. The only reason the figures aren't as large is that the network and the airline weren't as large as they are, now.

N717TW

Fri May 13, 2016 11:02 am

Quoting global1 (Reply 69):
If Delta's strategy for the next five years is half as successful as the past 5 have been, it would be a stellar trajectory and result.

When (since I guess the introduction of the widebody and the oil crisis of the early 70s) have the "past 5 years" ever looked like the "next 5 year" in the aviation industry?

We are starting to see signs of some global tech and Asian slowdowns/slower growth coupled with a glut of new planes in Asia and persian gulf. Next five could be rougher than past five, particularly for international travel.

global1

Fri May 13, 2016 11:26 am

Quoting ek604 (Thread starter):

True, but by the same token we've also never had a consolidated industry.

In the case of Delta also factor in that we're on target to reduce debt to 4bn and have achieved investment grade.

That being said, there will always be challenges in this industry. It's one of the things which make it so fascinating.

aerorobnz

Fri May 13, 2016 11:42 am

- buy all the 200LRs being retired by other carriers to replace their -200ERs
- Expand a new base in the states (for argument's sake say DAL) or restore MEM to NW levels of glory.
- purchase another airline. Let's say AS or HA
- develop green hybrid engines and restore the DC9s to active service. .
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

delimit

Fri May 13, 2016 10:47 pm

Quoting global1 (Reply 73):
In the case of Delta also factor in that we're on target to reduce debt to 4bn and have achieved investment grade.

That being said, there will always be challenges in this industry. It's one of the things which make it so fascinating.

There will be, but having such a small debt load will give them access to money at much lower interest rates than they've had in the past. If things go south in the industry, it will provide them with a longterm competitive advantage.

seabosdca

Fri May 13, 2016 11:11 pm

Quoting hkcanadaexpat (Reply 63):
Second, Delta is focused on replacing the oldest 19x 763ERs (171-184+150-156). It has selected A339 for that job.

Is that really clear, though? The 339s start arriving in 2019. The 788s, just a year later, in 2020. Delta has enviable flexibility here, with quite a few options. I think they are purposely leaving their options open.

- "767 maintenance savings" scenario: Accelerate 763 retirement, and use both 339 and 788 to replace 763 capacity (with some shifting around of 332s and 764s)
- High fuel price scenario: Hold on to the later 763s, and retire the 777s, which will start to look uncompetitive when A350s and 787s are both being delivered in volume. Use the excellent hot-and-high 359 to replace the 77L on the most demanding routes. Upgauge the 787 order to -9 and use those on the other long 777 routes.
- High growth scenario: Upgauge the 787 order to -10 and use the combination of 339 and 78X to flood the TATL market with capacity, beating competitors handily on CASM.

Quoting hkcanadaexpat (Reply 63):
The next batch of wide bodies will 16x 763ERs (185-199+394). Oddly enough the order of 18x 788s matches that perfectly. Will it be confirmed as a replacement? Will they order more A330neos? Those are the two next decisions Delta has to take with regards to long-haul. The rest of the 763ERs, 764s, A332s, A333s and 772ERs are not going anywhere anytime soon.

I think the 777s could start to look like candidates for replacement. The LRs are amazingly capable but very thirsty, and the 359 could do most of the same things (including probably JNB-ATL). The ERs are just like 787-9s with much higher fuel burn.

I agree the 764s and 333s, and probably the 332s, will stay around for a long time.

LAX772LR

Sat May 14, 2016 2:27 am

Hardly. They struggle to fill the 332

And putting a larger aircraft on the route is going to address that how?

Neither the 763 nor the 332 will be around forever.

As will any other aircraft, so that's a rather moot point.  
Neither are going anywhere any time soon soon.

Why, exactly, was I wrong?

See immediately above.

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 74):
buy all the 200LRs being retired by other carriers to replace their -200ERs

Why would they want to do that?

Quoting seabosdca (Reply 76):
The LRs are amazingly capable but very thirsty

"Very thirsty" compared to what exactly... and have you forgotten what carrier we're referencing here?

Quoting seabosdca (Reply 76):
and the 359 could do most of the same things (including probably JNB-ATL).

The latter of course being more supposition than settled in fact, as we barely know what the performance of the thing at 280T will be, especially when coupled with reduced MZFW vis-a-vis payload goals DL would have for the route

Prost

Sat May 14, 2016 2:53 am

http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/n...nternational-routes.html?ana=yahoo

Well, no additional SEA international routes until the FIS opens.

seabosdca

Sat May 14, 2016 2:55 am

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 77):
"Very thirsty" compared to what exactly... and have you forgotten what carrier we're referencing here?

Compared to either a 789 or 359. Delta doesn't mind thirsty short-haul narrowbodies, but it's been a lot more aggressive about fuel efficiency on the widebody and medium-haul narrowbody fleets.

The latter of course being more supposition than settled in fact

The numbers say it should work. That big wing on the 350 is a HUGE help in terms of reducing takeoff/landing speeds, which is what you really need to get out of a place like JNB carrying more weight. The limit on the LR in JNB is tire speed.

And putting a larger aircraft on the route is going to address that how?

That's my whole point. Either a late-build 788 or a 789 would be a better choice for the route than a big 359 or 772. It could carry the cargo the 332 can't, reduce fuel costs over the 332, and in the case of the 789 allow additional seats at no cost for the times when there is enough demand to fill them.

aerorobnz

Sat May 14, 2016 3:17 am

Why would they want to do that?

Because I love the 200LR..  That and the fact that it is a very capable aircraft that will be available on the cheap very soon.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

LAX772LR

Sat May 14, 2016 4:30 am

Quoting seabosdca (Reply 79):
Delta doesn't mind thirsty short-haul narrowbodies, but it's been a lot more aggressive about fuel efficiency on the widebody

The fact that their longhaul fleet is dominated by the 767 and will continue to be so for at least another half decade, begs to differ.

As with ALL their fleet... not just narrowbodies... they take fuel economy, capability, and acquisition in stride.

The numbers say it should work.

Whose "the numbers," and where can these "numbers" be found?

The limit on the LR in JNB is tire speed.

Well aware, that's why Boeing/DL/Goodyear worked so hard on uprating them.

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 80):
Because I love the 200LR.

You can take one look at my screename and see my feelings on the aircraft.... but that doesn't change the fact that their OEW is higher than the aircraft that they'd be replacing in that scenario; and while they're more capable, that's not going to really help on the majority of the routes, which aren't much of a challenge for a 77E even with cargo.

Hence asking.

mayor

Re: RE: Delta Strategy Over Next 5 Years?

Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:46 am

IPFreely wrote:
Delta is performing at a high level operationally. In the next five years they need to focus on bringing their Delta Connection regional operations up from the ash heap to perform at least at a mediocre level.

Been gone for awhile, like from the start of the new format. Interesting to see that some folks are still beating THIS dead horse.

ASFlyer

Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:00 am

mayor wrote:
IPFreely wrote:
Delta is performing at a high level operationally. In the next five years they need to focus on bringing their Delta Connection regional operations up from the ash heap to perform at least at a mediocre level.

Been gone for awhile, like from the start of the new format. Interesting to see that some folks are still beating THIS dead horse.

Considering the number of flights Delta Connection carriers operate on behalf of Delta, it's not a bad point.

klakzky123

Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:06 am

Nola wrote:

March 2016
429 DTW
408 MSP

And enplanements...

12,589,144 DTW
12,442,497 MSP

Honestly, both hubs are close enough that depending on the year you might see one have more enplanements than the other. It's an extremely fluid number that causes the #2 hub to change almost every year. Both are more or less tied for #2. I believe MSP had more enplanements in 2014. Either way, who cares, they're 2a and 2b. Both are very profitable and DL would be nuts to get rid of either. They have all of the high yield traffic locked down in both cities.

mayor

Re: Delta Strategy Over Next 5 Years?

Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:09 am

5. Continue the tradition of the CEO blathering at the beginning of each preflight safety video... "Hey y'all..."

Take into consideration the myth that everyone at DL is from the south. Not even all of the CEOs have been. Ed is not.....Grinstein was not. Even Mr. Woolman was not.

I think the employees have shown (with the exception of the pilots) that they can do this without the company's assistance and, in any event, legally the company can't do it, anyway.

mayor

Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:16 am

seabosdca wrote:
Quoting mayor (Reply 56):Explain why it can't carry cargo.........is it because it needs all the fuel it can hold to get to the destination?

Not necessarily all the fuel it can hold (the 332 has enormous fuel capacity), but the fuel weighs enough to take cargo out of the equation.

So, in other words we're using the fuel, just to haul the amount of fuel necessary to do the job?

mayor

Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:29 am

ASFlyer wrote:
mayor wrote:
IPFreely wrote:

Considering the number of flights Delta Connection carriers operate on behalf of Delta, it's not a bad point.

Well, that WAS one of the things DL was aiming at in its "flight plan" for this year.

klm617

Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:52 pm

klakzky123 wrote:
Nola wrote:

March 2016
429 DTW
408 MSP

And enplanements...

12,589,144 DTW
12,442,497 MSP

Honestly, both hubs are close enough that depending on the year you might see one have more enplanements than the other. It's an extremely fluid number that causes the #2 hub to change almost every year. Both are more or less tied for #2. I believe MSP had more enplanements in 2014. Either way, who cares, they're 2a and 2b. Both are very profitable and DL would be nuts to get rid of either. They have all of the high yield traffic locked down in both cities.

I really believe that Detroit will be the hub to get downgraded. MSP has gotten a few new flights where Detroit is in a downward trend. With all the new links in the Delta system SEA-Asia, SLC-Europe and now ATL-ICN this will divert passengers away from Detroit. MSP has now gained KEF, FCO, HNL and KLM which means MSP-AMS is almost equal to Detroit now.
Last edited by klm617 on Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

klm617

Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:04 am

Really right now Delta has no vision for Detroit to be anything more than what it is right now. While in the past I think there might have been some bigger plans for Detroit those have all gone by the wayside as far as growth in the Detroit market goes. While I think there is still a vision to grow Minneapolis in the short term.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

Dldiamondboy

Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:31 am

They will continue to screw Diamond Medallion million milers out of upgrades and offer fake economy comfort upgrades, continued degradation of the Medallion benefits. Loyalty is inversely proportional to profits. Not sure what happened to the loyalty campaign and all loyalty advertising, huge posters on jet bridges etc.

DFW789ER

Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:34 am

mayor wrote:
Quoting IPFreely (Reply 1):Delta is performing at a high level operationally. In the next five years they need to focus on bringing their Delta Connection regional operations up from the ash heap to perform at least at a mediocre level.
From what I've heard, this is something that they're already focusing on.

Based on my experiences, never had a problem with Connection flights.

tlecam

Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:25 am

laca773 wrote:
Quoting Sooner787 (Reply 28):I doubt we'll ever see 787's in DL colors

I believe we will see the 787 in DL colors. It will be a few years, but it will happen.
The 787-8 is the perfect a/c for routes DL previously flown, but dropped when the economy went down hill and fuel prices through the ceiling.
From JFK:
BUD
WAW
PRG
LED.

SEA:
HKG
MNL

I'm sure there are many others as well that can do well with the 787-8, but anything larger, won't work.

My understanding is that DL doesn't view it as the perfect plane for the flights you listed from JFK because it's "too much plane." Why pay the price for a plane that can fly double the distance of those flights from JFK/ATL? Not a performance point, a total ownership cost point.

WHat they'll replace the 763's with, I have no idea.
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

dc10lover

Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:57 am

Delta will rename Delta Connection to Delta Wings in 5 years. :-)
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

fsafsx

Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:16 am

I think delta would do well flying to more Florida destinations, I would like to see mco go 5 to 6 daily, tpa to about 4 daily, rsw to 3 daily and pbi go year round. I also want to see delta add msp to srq and mlb ll destinations in which Minnesotans love to get away to in the winter.

iFlyDTW

Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:19 am

fsafsx wrote:
I think delta would do well flying to more Florida destinations, I would like to see mco go 5 to 6 daily, tpa to about 4 daily, rsw to 3 daily and pbi go year round. I also want to see delta add msp to srq and mlb ll destinations in which Minnesotans love to get away to in the winter.
Kid, likely under the age of 16, do you think MSP can really fly just as many flights to MCO and TPA as DTW does when year round DTW is the bigger market to these destinations, I don't get that. DTW would be first to get MLB, I'm sorry to tell you the route is likely more profitable in DTW than MSP.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:08 am

Why did this thread ge resurrected for this whole bunch of stupidity?

flymco753

Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:28 am

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
Why did this thread ge resurrected for this whole bunch of stupidity?
Two things, MSP v DTW bash fest and DL RedJets. :roll:
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

b727fa

Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:36 am

DCI has had their share of issues. We've seen a remarkable turn around as of late and that's good. The number of "brand perfect" days RE: operations and completion factor has been stunning. Of carriers with a "connection" component we are running a great brand. Unlike some folks on A.net I don't think our performance negates other carrier's operations and I consider it an INDUSTRY success when we ALL have exceptional operations.
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

alfa164

Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:45 am

klm617 wrote:
Really right now Delta has no vision for Detroit to be anything more than what it is right now. While in the past I think there might have been some bigger plans for Detroit those have all gone by the wayside as far as growth in the Detroit market goes. While I think there is still a vision to grow Minneapolis in the short term.

Yep, the sky is falling in Detroit! Nobody else knows it, but you (and perhaps Chicken Little) are such good prognosticators, we should all pay attention... :roll:
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos