Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

eielef
Topic Author

Do You Think EK Today Is PA In 1970s?

Tue May 10, 2016 8:51 am

Do you agree with the question previously posed?
Everyone who flies in EK, even those flying in Economy class, feel somehow fancier than flying with any other airline...
The crew is somewhat more sophisticated, pretty, don't know, just seems better.
It reminds me to Pan Am... And we all know what happened to Pan Am....

L0VE2FLY

RE: Do You Think EK Today Is PA In 1970s?

Tue May 10, 2016 9:00 am

Quoting eielef (Thread starter):
And we all know what happened to Pan Am....

Don't worry about EK, as long as we don't have a viable alternative to oil, EK and the whole GCC region for that matter will do just fine.

rta

Tue May 10, 2016 9:04 am

Quoting L0VE2FLY (Reply 1):
Don't worry about EK, as long as we don't have a viable alternative to oil, EK and the whole GCC region for that matter will do just fine.

Are you suggesting that the geographic advantages of having a one-stop hub will cease to exist once there's a viable alternative to oil?

L0VE2FLY

Tue May 10, 2016 9:20 am

Quoting rta (Reply 2):

Are you suggesting that the geographic advantages of having a one-stop hub will cease to exist once there's a viable alternative to oil?

Yes, by then you'll be able to fly LHR-SYD non-stop in an airliner that makes the 787 look like a DC-3!

ojas

Tue May 10, 2016 9:51 am

All that starts comes to an end, god is the only truth and we all lesser mortals shall be in his guidance forever.
Great leaders don't tell you what to do ... they show you how it's done!

flipdewaf

Tue May 10, 2016 10:29 am

PanHAM

Tue May 10, 2016 10:57 am

Or, like we say in Germany, everything has an end, only the sausage has two.

I would not make any predictions on the fate on EK, but concerning EY and QR I wouldn't be so sure.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

aloges

Tue May 10, 2016 11:20 am

Everyone who flies in EK, even those flying in Economy class, feel somehow fancier than flying with any other airline...

I think I must have missed something.    EK in Y class is mass transport - largely fine mass transport, yes, but that doesn't mean it's fancy in the back of a 77W.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

mwhcvt

Tue May 10, 2016 12:14 pm

I don't think EK and PA can truly be compared, for a start as discussed recently PA over 60-90's operated on average load factors in the low 50% up to at most around 65% where as EK operates average load factors in the high 80 to low 90 percentile range

EK is a single hubbed highly integrated carrier, focusing on efficient connection for PAX in waves at its hub, where as PA had multiple hubs etc

Those are just basic differences
Must think up a new one soon, slow moving brain trying to get into gear ;)

Clydenairways

Tue May 10, 2016 12:24 pm

Do You Think EK Today Is PA In 1970s?

I think you need to go back a lot further than that to see the glory days of PA.

eielef
Topic Author

Tue May 10, 2016 5:00 pm

But I mean, exotic destinations, too much merchandising, even flying to DXB (which itself wasn't a famous destination for anything recently), now is seem as exciting. Albeit not being the launch customer of any aircraft, it has the largest fleet of A380's and it was the second airline to receive them (only after SQ), as well as of B777.
In these two planes, EK has 75 A380 and ˜145 B777, twice more than the following airline (SQ in the 380s, UA in the 777s).

People tries to get a 48h connection and visit that city, which has become very famous, mostly thanks to Emirates.
No-one says, excited: Oh, I'm flying QR, or EY or TK, and worse: no-one says: I just had an amazing flight in FR...
No-one want's (in my opinion) to do long transits just to visit a city, for instance DOH or AUH. Somehow DXB has attracted more people than these other destinations.

I have never flown on EK, but from all people's reports (even the trip reports here) it seems far superior than the others. I mean, see any EK trip report how many times it's been reviewed and have received answers, and is far more than what any other flight will receive.

I don't want to speculate of the future of EK, I've just read it made record profits recently, but I think is hell of a glamorous airline, something we haven't seen in a long while (maybe since the Concorde time).

Aquila3

Tue May 10, 2016 6:06 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 6):
Or, like we say in Germany, everything has an end, only the sausage has two.

Please, please.   
Write it in the original German form. I want to impress my Wiener ( ! ) friends...
You will make my day (or at least my evening in the Brauerei)   
chi vola vale chi vale vola chi non vola è un vile

TVNWZ

Tue May 10, 2016 7:37 pm

Alles hat ein Ende. Nur eine Wurst hat zwei .

aloges

Tue May 10, 2016 8:32 pm

Quoting TVNWZ (Reply 12):
Alles hat ein Ende. Nur die Wurst hat zwei.

FTFY  

Or, if you already know the proverb and want to mock it: "Alles geht vorbei, nur die Wurst hat zwei." That one rhymes, but the sentence doesn't make any sense.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

chiad

Wed May 11, 2016 8:13 am

everything has an end, only the sausage has two

FWIW I can think of a bunch of things that has two ends.
and ... not all sausages has two either.

Spiderguy252

Wed May 11, 2016 8:23 am

You're right. Like PA, they don't really have domestic flights.   

Though I do realize PA operated a few flights within the USA to transfer pax to intl flights from a hub like JFK.
Vahroone

PanHAM

Wed May 11, 2016 9:27 am

Quoting chiad (Reply 14):
FWIW I can think of a bunch of things that has two ends.
and ... not all sausages has two either.

We call that a Klugscheisser, or, in English wise guy. Which is Fitting to the OP Headline. If EK of today is the PA of 8not in) the 70s it would have a bad end And if the sky Caves in, all sparrows would be dead. and, yes, i know that there are a bunch of other birds as well.

Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

GlenP

Wed May 11, 2016 10:33 am

Or, like we say in Germany, everything has an end, only the sausage has two

Ah, but what sausages they are. Best to enjoy them as much as possible, while you can.

Seriously, the Emirates are diversifying their economies, with airlines forming a big part of these moves.

It's already been proven that jet engines can run on bio fuel, though whether these form an economically viable alternative to petroleum based fuels is something I'm not qualified to comment on.

As for the lack of a domestic market, it's pretty much irrelevant given the geographical realities of such small states, but the 1 stop connection model that's been built up by EK seems to work spectacularly well & there's not much reason to doubt that it will continue to do so in the future.
Ubique Quo Fas et Gloria Ducunt

jfk777

Wed May 11, 2016 11:08 am

Emirates has done something very pioneering and bold, who would have predicted an airline with over 100 A380, in a part of the world begging for it with three billion people. Its right on India's doorstep. In Juan Trippe's wildest dreams Pan AM would have flown 100 747's, it did fly about 50 at its height around 1980.

There are some big differences, Emirates is in a part of the world with many newly rich people inching to travel with many protected flag carriers. PA home market is 10% the size of EK's area of the world so one has to expect Emirates to be bigger. PA was to some degree restricted the USA visa regime even when connecting while Dubai has not such thing, you just go from one plane to the other unless you actually enter Dubai. Emirates is its own creation way beyond what any one in the west could create, a creation of a country with all the resources directed to do this.

sandyb123

Wed May 11, 2016 12:15 pm

Quoting eielef (Reply 10):
No-one want's (in my opinion) to do long transits just to visit a city

Interestingly however this has been quite successful in Iceland with FI.

Quoting jfk777 (Reply 18):
you just go from one plane to the other unless you actually enter Dubai

And in fact if you are a passport holder in most of the western world then you don't need a VISA to visit.

http://www.emirates.com/uk/english/p...assport_information/uae_visas.aspx

Sandyb123
Member of the mile high club

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos