TurnaroudUK
Topic Author

Will EK Ever Get Narrow-body Aircraft?

Tue May 10, 2016 5:48 pm

Ok hear me out on this.
With the likes of QR and EY plus TK have both wide and narrow body aircraft they are able to enter very small markets which simply wouldn't work on a wide-body.
I understand that EK make some of these markets work due to the fact that they have the ability to connect the masses with its network.
I believe that if EK were to acquire some narrow body aircraft, they could access markets such as BRS, LPL and LBA (although this might change with the huge presence at MAN) these airports are just to name a few there are plenty of airports around Europe, Africa and Asia which would work for EK.

I would like to hear your opinions on the matter.

Cheers
TurnaroundUK

scbriml

RE: Will EK Ever Get Narrow-body Aircraft?

Tue May 10, 2016 5:53 pm

It won't happen while they're still based at DXB, they just can't get enough slots or gates.

Maybe once they've moved to DWC things will change, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them stay a wide-body only operator. Their latest set of numbers shows they know what they're doing and they've managed so far without single-aisle aircraft (apart from their very early days).
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Spiderguy252

Tue May 10, 2016 5:57 pm

Quoting TurnaroudUK (Thread starter):
I believe that if EK were to acquire some narrow body aircraft, they could access markets such as BRS, LPL and LBA (although this might change with the huge presence at MAN) these airports are just to name a few there are plenty of airports around Europe, Africa and Asia which would work for EK.

Well, that's what FlyDubai is for - though they aren't in the airports you mention as of yet.
Vahroone

dubaiamman243

Tue May 10, 2016 5:58 pm

The answer is a simple NO
The next airline CEO :crossfingers:

adools

Tue May 10, 2016 6:30 pm

I think that once EK move to DWC, and there are 6 runways operating independently, in order to preserve their market share in the region, they will acquire some smaller planes, possibly narrow bodies, in order to operate to smaller destinations. In a non slot controlled airport, if EK is able to maintain their current cost base (quite low), then the incremental revenue from smaller destinations within a A321 (NEO) or similar aircraft range might be attractive. Twice day to feed the major European and Asian/Aus/NZ banks (to and from) I can see 20 or 25 destinations within the greater middle east (perhaps more if a stability and peace prevails, especially in Iran) that could see this kind of service. Something like flyDubai now, but integrated into Emirates ala Silk Air or Dragon Air. Then again, why not just merge flyDubai into Emirates frequent flyer program and tweak a few flight times to connect better, if all airlines are in the same mega terminal complex at DWC with easy connections, there may be no need for a separate fleet of smaller planes.

I think the major thing holding this back in the current DXB airport constrictions.

migair54

Tue May 10, 2016 6:45 pm

I don't think they will do, specially with DWC in the horizon, but I think they really need a smaller plane, like a B787 or A350 with less seats for some routes they can use and some new ones in the future, they have not yet decide what it will be.

Quoting Spiderguy252 (Reply 2):
Well, that's what FlyDubai is for - though they aren't in the airports you mention as of yet.

Not exactly, FlyDubai is not that similar to EK in many aspects, narrow body services from EK will be different. FZ has been changing a bit to try to make it work, but initially was a low cost style, mostly O&D traffic.

TurnaroudUK
Topic Author

Tue May 10, 2016 6:50 pm

This definitely wouldn't occur at DXB but when they move to DWC I can potentially see EK to be on the scale of DL at ATL.
Don't know which aircraft they would go for though

dubaiamman243

Tue May 10, 2016 6:53 pm

what about an A330NEO?
The next airline CEO :crossfingers:

catiii

Tue May 10, 2016 8:59 pm

Fresh out of the paint shop  
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ger Buskermolen

TC957

Tue May 10, 2016 9:36 pm

Quoting TurnaroudUK (Reply 6):
Don't know which aircraft they would go for though

Going by the places in the UK you mentioned in the OP, then it'll have to be a 320/321LR neo or 738/739Max.
But unlike airlines in Europe or the US, EK are doing just fine ( see record results announced today ) in using their wide-bodies on short haul services.
I'm always perplexed by why Europe / US carriers don't make use of the capacity offered by wide-bodies on short routes when airlines like the ME3, TK, in China and most of the main Asia ones seem to do great doing short hops with theirs.

YellowRibbon

Wed May 11, 2016 3:58 am

He's coming right at us!

LAX772LR

Wed May 11, 2016 5:46 am

Quoting YellowRibbon (Reply 10):
Sorry, how do you post thumbnails?

By reading what's in the big link that says "Help"  

https://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/help.main
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

bluejuice

Wed May 11, 2016 6:12 am

I bet EK will order the 757 MAX 8 when Boeing reopens the 757 line.   
Not biased against vacuum flush.

TurnaroudUK
Topic Author

Wed May 11, 2016 12:47 pm

The 757 would of been a perfect aircraft, Boeing's replacement would be perfect for EK

MKEdude

Wed May 11, 2016 5:52 pm

Quoting Spiderguy252 (Reply 2):

Yeah pretty much. Although they are separate airlines FlyDubai acts as a feeder for EK going into secondary markets where an a330 wouldn't make sense.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

Spiderguy252

Wed May 11, 2016 6:44 pm

Let's not forget that there are other major carriers who also get by just fine without the pressing need to have an NB in the fleet.

Singapore and Cathay come to mind.
Vahroone

catiii

Wed May 11, 2016 7:35 pm

Quoting Spiderguy252 (Reply 15):

But SQ did have the 757, and I believe Cathay is taking the Dragonair 320s into Cathay Dragon.

Viscount724

Thu May 12, 2016 2:54 am

Quoting catiii (Reply 16):
Quoting Spiderguy252 (Reply 15):

But SQ did have the 757

But only 4, and not for long (1984 to 1989/90).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos