Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mikelive
Topic Author

Technical Glitch Causing Baggage Problems At PHX

Thu May 12, 2016 11:08 pm

http://ktar.com/story/1071762/tsa-gl...-bag-backup-at-phoenix-sky-harbor/

PHOENIX — A glitch in the Transportation Security Administration bag screening system delayed thousands of pieces of luggage at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport on Thursday.

The TSA said it first noticed the problem with its explosive screening system about 6:45 a.m. The agency called the issue “unprecedented” and said it only affected Phoenix.

Good times in PHX. I was just there on Tuesday and Wednesday seeing fellow Anetter sevensixtyseven and didn't have any issues.

[Edited 2016-05-12 16:25:42]

PSAjet17

RE: Technical Glitch Causing Baggage Problems At PHX

Fri May 13, 2016 12:22 am

Bags are being sent by ground to other airports for screening and then will be flown to final destinations according to this report from the TSA to CBS-5 in Phoenix.

"These bags will be driven to nearby airports ... screened and then flown on to their destinations," Rodriguez said, emphasizing that the process is safe and urging travelers to "bring on what you need for the next few days."

Yes, she said days.

The "nearby airports" that will handle the backed up baggage are in L.A. (6-hour drive), Las Vegas (5-hour drive) and San Diego (6- hour drive). Even though the issue is with TSA equipment and processes, the transportation of the delayed bags to L.A., Vegas and San Diego is the responsibility of the airlines, according to Melendez.

Read more: http://www.cbs5az.com/story/31960074...ts-out-of-sky-harbor#ixzz48UTvpyhn

alasizon

Fri May 13, 2016 12:29 am

Not sure who is transporting bags but I don't believe AA is. From what I can tell, AA is just holding onto the bags until they are screened and the system is up and running.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

atcsundevil

Fri May 13, 2016 12:32 am

The pictures I've seen are truly a mess. I'm not sure I've ever seen TSA have such a catastrophic meltdown like this. It certainly isn't helping their public relations amid all of the other problems going on across the country with understaffing and horrendous checkpoint wait times. This will only further fuel the argument to privatize airport security again.

INFINITI329

Fri May 13, 2016 12:50 am

I doubt anyone is moving bags to other airports. Pretty dumb propersistion. TSA is apparently brining in additional staff from other airports and K9 assets from LAS to assist with the manual screening of bags.

alasizon

Fri May 13, 2016 12:53 am

After easily 5,000 bags have been loitering at the airport all day, at least one scanner is back up and running.

apodino

Fri May 13, 2016 1:05 am

Is this only affecting Terminal 4 (Obviously from the article T4 is affected) or are Terminals 2 and 3 also affected? If only T4 then Southwest gets hurt the most since they have the largest share of O and D traffic. AA is hurt to a lesser extent because much of their PHX traffic is connecting.

mikelive
Topic Author

Fri May 13, 2016 1:11 am

Quoting apodino (Reply 6):
Is this only affecting Terminal 4 (Obviously from the article T4 is affected) or are Terminals 2 and 3 also affected? If only T4 then Southwest gets hurt the most since they have the largest share of O and D traffic. AA is hurt to a lesser extent because much of their PHX traffic is connecting.

From my understanding, it's affecting all terminals.

MaverickTTT

Fri May 13, 2016 1:15 am

Quoting INFINITI329 (Reply 4):
I doubt anyone is moving bags to other airports. Pretty dumb propersistion.

My contacts at two separate airlines tell me that they are, indeed, trucking bags to LAS and LAX in order to get as many bags as possible out on early morning flights tomorrow in order to reunite them with their owners as quickly as possible. I think that sounds anything but "dumb" to the people who are at their destinations without their bags.

[Edited 2016-05-12 18:19:07]

Vctony

Fri May 13, 2016 1:16 am

It looks like all terminals were affected by this.

As an employee working in T4 I can verify the following:

AA told passengers that they had 2 options:

1.) Bring their baggage with them through the TSA checkpoint and gate check them (while confiscating any prohibited items / liquids over passenger cabin guidelines / etc.

or

2.) Check the bags and have them shipped to their destinations on later flights from PHX once the system was up and running

Apparently WN is going to be trucking the luggage to LAS, LAX, SAN, and possibly TUS to be screened there and then sent on to the destinations after they are screened there.

[Edited 2016-05-12 18:25:38]

Vctony

Fri May 13, 2016 1:18 am

Quoting atcsundevil (Reply 3):
The pictures I've seen are truly a mess. I'm not sure I've ever seen TSA have such a catastrophic meltdown like this. It certainly isn't helping their public relations amid all of the other problems going on across the country with understaffing and horrendous checkpoint wait times. This will only further fuel the argument to privatize airport security again.

Private companies have system issues as well.

I'm sure that this same scenario would happen if there was a private company. The difference is that the private company would be in danger of losing the contract the next time it was up for renewal.

[Edited 2016-05-12 18:25:57]

rbavfan

Fri May 13, 2016 1:26 am

Quoting INFINITI329 (Reply 4):

Southwest announced they are sending bags to Tucson & San Diego to be loaded on other flights. This tells me they do not believe the TSA has an impending fix.

INFINITI329

Fri May 13, 2016 2:08 am

Quoting MaverickTTT (Reply 8):
Quoting rbavfan (Reply 11):

The trucking of bags was only for earlier in the day. ( i was unaware of that in my last post). Bags arriving now if not able to fly out this eveving will leave tommrw in the morning. (WN side).

Is this something the airlines can sue TSA to recoup the costs?

alasizon

Fri May 13, 2016 2:21 am

Quoting INFINITI329 (Reply 12):
Is this something the airlines can sue TSA to recoup the costs?

Doubt it.

BA will be the guinea pig on the AA side of the house. All AA flights will continue manual screening

MaverickTTT

Fri May 13, 2016 2:53 am

Tack this on to the video taken earlier today of the TSA lines at MDW and one has to wonder how long it's going to take to do something about the TSA's incompetence.

rbavfan

Fri May 13, 2016 3:19 am

I wonder though with baggage stored at odd locations around the airport. How many lost bags do you see in the coming days. Also if its not working yet, how are they going to fly bags out in the morning. Is TSA going to do manual checks all night to be ready?

tcfc424

Fri May 13, 2016 3:36 am

The creation of the TSA was a knee-jerk reaction. In some airports, they have proven truly amazing. In others, a private contractor could easily surpass their capabilities. By creating the TSA, the government quelled (some---not Anetters) fears of the dangers of flying, and they created jobs in the aviation/transportation industry at a time when it was needed most. Now, there is no reason, with the proper oversight (the key lacking element on 9/11) that private security companies could not once again take over airport security. In some places, I think they have. The key is oversight...the lowest bidder is going to need to have eyes on them. Guaranteed their employees are not getting medical/dental/health and retirement benefits.

Of course, it doesn't sound like this has anything to do with the actual TSA agents...more or less its a tech glitch.

Vctony

Fri May 13, 2016 3:49 am

Quoting tcfc424 (Reply 16):
The creation of the TSA was a knee-jerk reaction. In some airports, they have proven truly amazing. In others, a private contractor could easily surpass their capabilities. By creating the TSA, the government quelled (some---not Anetters) fears of the dangers of flying, and they created jobs in the aviation/transportation industry at a time when it was needed most. Now, there is no reason, with the proper oversight (the key lacking element on 9/11) that private security companies could not once again take over airport security. In some places, I think they have. The key is oversight...the lowest bidder is going to need to have eyes on them. Guaranteed their employees are not getting medical/dental/health and retirement benefits.

Of course, it doesn't sound like this has anything to do with the actual TSA agents...more or less its a tech glitch.

You're going to have crazy high employee turnover which isn't actually going to save money or provide better service or security.

alasizon

Fri May 13, 2016 4:22 am

Quoting rbavfan (Reply 15):

Given AA alone has close to 3,000 on hand and WN probably around 4,500, I doubt you will see many lost. It's more so the reunification that will be the problem since the bag delivery companies will require time to reunite that many bags.

Everything points to the system being back up and running in time for tomorrow and I would imagine TSA will authorize an overnight crew to run as many bags as possible through the system and both WN and AA I imagine will have overnight bodies there to sort the bags into carts in the basement.

chrisair

Fri May 13, 2016 5:28 am

Good lord what a mess.

Glad I didn't have do fly anywhere today. This is also why I rarely check my bag!

flyingcat

Fri May 13, 2016 12:22 pm

What glitch would affect all the terminals, forgot to upgrade java, using flash for interface, attempting to download/upload BitTorrent library.

TSA is so messed up that for any other topic the above would be facetious.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos