Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

VC10er
Topic Author

Are Airlines Seeing Cancellations To Rio Olympics?

Sun May 15, 2016 1:14 pm

To start, there are some dire warnings from health officials around the globe in the news, advising the many of hundreds of thousands of Olympic tourists and athletes to reconsider travel to Rio. The point is avoid returning home with Zika infections and spreading the disease exponentially. So, have the airlines been experiencing significant cancellations? I have read that Olympic ticket prices have dropped.

The warnings I have read are very disturbing. They are strongly worded, very pointed with predictions of disasterous outcomes: "Do not go. Do not risk your future pregnancies or a large scale global epidemic".

And obviously not just Zika, there are people like Rivaldo (the Brazilian futeball player) using language like "ugly" and "stay away", plus the fact that the turmoil in Brazilian politics has made global headlines for weeks, all extremely upsetting on so many levels. That said, I would assume that once packed aircraft may be getting emptier?

If this has been discussed I have not seen it here, nor the media reported that this is impacting global airlines.

I arrived in Rio last week, I'm here now, the United 777 from IAH non-stop to GIG I flew on was full in all classes and had a good number of athletes aboard. So, perhaps the number of unfortunate situations in news has not had an impact? Or, not yet?

Any word?
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

spinkid

RE: Are Airlines Seeing Cancellations To Rio Olympics?

Sun May 15, 2016 3:50 pm

Quoting VC10er (Thread starter):
he point is avoid returning home with Zika infections and spreading the disease exponentially.

From the reports I've read, the transmission is only from mosquitoes and not person to person, you might want to check your sources.

The complications arise for pregnant women, so if you take precautions before going you should be fine. It would be a very small percentage of travelers who are pregnant who would cancel their trip, not enough to impact schedules.

As far back as I can remember there have been dire predictions before every Olympic games about the host country not being ready, and they always seem to pull it off.

I can't imagine ANY athlete not going to the games because of Zika, let alone political reasons. For them, this is quite literally a once in a lifetime chance.

globetrotter29

Sun May 15, 2016 4:00 pm

Zika can be transmitted by mosquito, mother to child, sex, or blood.

http://www.cdc.gov/zika/transmission/index.html

SCQ83

Sun May 15, 2016 4:11 pm

Rivaldo warned tourists not to go to Rio due to crime, not because of Zika. This was after a teenager was killed by gunshots in a motorway in Rio when she was with her family on their way to GIG.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/may/09/rio-de-janiero-violence-olympic-games-2016-rivaldo-warning-brazil

Not to mention terrorism. Brazilians (even as 2016) live in this fairytale where they see "religious" terrorism as something that only happens in Europe, the Middle East or the US. I have even been told by some in denial Brazilian in Europe recently that they might have more crime, but there is no terrorism in Brazil (whatever!).

http://www.breitbart.com/national-se...zil-hashtag-islamic-state-attacks/

VC10er
Topic Author

Sun May 15, 2016 4:18 pm

Quoting spinkid (Reply 1):

My sources are CNN.com, NYT and CDC website. All are consistent. Online today Singapore reported its first case, a local man who had just returned from São Paulo. According to these sources, Zika can be spread 2 ways when back home: 1) infected person is bitten by mosquitoes and they can pass it on, 2) Zika is confirmed to be sexually transmitted.

I am far from panic myself. I have been here three times so far this year. I have indeed been bitten by mosquitoes already (despite wearing "OFF") and as my apt faces a forest, so I've been bitten a lot, I remain undeterred and not showing any symptoms, I feel great. But I think back to SARS which really hurt the airlines.

While I do not believe it will happen, the cries of the sensationalistic media are even talking postponement or moving the summer Olympics from Rio. That would be tragic as parts of Rio, such as the ports, look great. GIG is already looking much better. I can't wait to see the new terminal! Outside, from the back, IMHO think the new building looks awesome.

I personally know of 3 parties, 2 in the USA and one in the UK who have canceled their trip to Rio. I said I thought they were over reacting but the young women in the groups decided they wouldn't risk it out of fear of a future pregnancy. All their doctors told them "not worth the risk, we don't even know what will happen to women who had Zika years ago, we don't know how long the virus is really in the body" - bad stuff!

It was my 3rd acquaintance who canceled everything that spurred me to ask the question. These people are folks I'm not that close to, but as everyone knows I am here all the time, they and others all called to get my advice: which I am totally unqualified to answer!

The ticket prices have dropped weeks ago to help fill the stadiums, I wondered if airlines would follow suit?

VC10er
Topic Author

Sun May 15, 2016 4:28 pm

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 3):

Yes, Rivaldo was talking about violence which is on the rise in Rio. It compounds the Zika problem. And while the IOC says that the gov turmoil should have little to no effect, Cariocas are concerned about the trickle down effect of a dysfunctional gov and the organization of the security forces.

It is relatively true that Brazilians believe they are not on terrorists radar screen (one can feel the lack of concern at airport security screening). However, they do indeed have fear that the global spotlight of the World Cup and now the Olympics WILL eventually put Brazil in harms way. I also wonder if we will see much more diligent security at Brazil's airports?

andrefranca

Sun May 15, 2016 5:08 pm

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 3):
Not to mention terrorism. Brazilians (even as 2016) live in this fairytale where they see "religious" terrorism as something that only happens in Europe, the Middle East or the US. I have even been told by some in denial Brazilian in Europe recently that they might have more crime, but there is no terrorism in Brazil (whatever!).
Quoting VC10er (Reply 5):
It is relatively true that Brazilians believe they are not on terrorists radar screen (one can feel the lack of concern at airport security screening). However, they do indeed have fear that the global spotlight of the World Cup and now the Olympics WILL eventually put Brazil in harms way. I also wonder if we will see much more diligent security at Brazil's airports?

Well We haven't seen terrorism for decades, even though Israel and our own intelligence said that they intercept ISIL plans to attack, I don't know whether they'll be able to stop, some people even saying that IF these attacks take place it will be done by lone wolves and against countries from the "coalition of the willing", I'm glad I won't be there to try it.

Source: http://g1.globo.com/politica/noticia...-e-que-impediu-ataque-na-copa.html

reffado

Sun May 15, 2016 5:14 pm

Zika might scare some people, but violence is a non-issue for travelers. And I say this confidently. Violence and criminal absurdities in Rio de Janeiro have been the norm more than the exception for many years, and it hasn't stopped tourism. It didn't stop the World Cup. It didn't stop common travelers, and it won't stop the Olympics.

LAX772LR

Sun May 15, 2016 5:27 pm

Quoting reffado (Reply 7):
but violence is a non-issue for travelers.

That's a pretty blanket statement that isn't completely supported by fact.

Look to Japan (or Paris, if we're counting terrorism as "violence") for just recent examples.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

dcajet

Sun May 15, 2016 5:31 pm

Well, not sure about Olympics related cancellations, but if Brazil does not pull out of its current crisis soon, GIG will see some service cancellations right after the Olympics. AZ is rumoured to be one of those, BA is downgauging and reducing frequencies and AF is down to one flight a day. American carriers have been more proactive in reducing services and I don't think we will see further cuts unless things don't improve soon.
Keep calm and wash your hands.

reffado

Sun May 15, 2016 5:35 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 8):

It is backed by the fact that tourism in Rio has never stopped because of violence there. It might change some people's decisions, but those who want to go there have never stopped because of crime. Rio has been a very violent city for decades, this isn't some new trend from 2010.

Edit and addendum: it is far more likely that travel is impacted because of the ongoing economic crisis than because of the crime issue.

[Edited 2016-05-15 10:38:53]

9MMPQ

Sun May 15, 2016 6:07 pm

For the athletes competing on the water i could certainly understand them reconsidering.

German olympic sailor Erik Heil picked up some severe skin infections for which he had to seek medical treatment. It's believed he picked up a highly resistent bacteria strain in the water.

Dutch olympic windsurfer Dorian van Rijsselberghe aired his concerns about the polluted waters as his surfboard fin collected plastic trash multiple times which interfered with his race.

US triathlete Sarah True mentioned she would minimze time her time in Rio but understood that there would be a chance that she could fall ill a few days after the event.

The water quality & pollution is still very much an issue with all the sporting bodies seeming to say they are taking it up with Brazilian officials. With that said it seems they consider themselves off the hook, apparently then having done everything the could possibly do.

A bit sad but the Olympics are big business.

I don't think the general public will be put off from going though.
I believe in coincidences. Coincidences happen every day. But I don't trust coincidences.

VC10er
Topic Author

Sun May 15, 2016 7:48 pm

My partner would agree about the water. While the lagoon has been cleaned up a lot, Guaranra Bay is still bad.

As for Rio being a dangerous city for almost all of my recollection, and yes, there is a lot of tourism, I can't help but wonder how much more tourist dollars could have been made over the last 30 years. We were all hoping that the Olympics would be a tipping point and put Rio on a new course, and now some of those hopes feel dashed.

There was an article on line today about the global investment community feeling optimistic about investing here again. I hope the airlines will get back to Rio in a couple of years after the investments now pay off later.

Certainly the ticket prices have NOT gone down, if anything they seem higher than usual.

dcajet

Sun May 15, 2016 10:26 pm

Quoting VC10er (Reply 12):
There was an article on line today about the global investment community feeling optimistic about investing here again. I hope the airlines will get back to Rio in a couple of years after the investments now pay off later.

Hopefully that is the case. A sick Brazil spells bad news for the neighborhood. That being said, not sure if Brazil put on its best face with last week's events. While it is clear that Dilma and her administration had lost control of the situation and had become part of the problem, her removal from power under shaky pretences (not proven by the Justice and indulged in by recent Brazilian administrations) is really not a show of good governance. She may have been rough, not made many friends while in office but I don't think she is the crook some paint her to be. Until this impeachment business is over and done with, Brazil will be in limbo.

[Edited 2016-05-15 16:05:22]
Keep calm and wash your hands.

klkla

Sun May 15, 2016 11:41 pm

Quoting VC10er (Reply 12):
Certainly the ticket prices have NOT gone down, if anything they seem higher than usual.

You mean just for the Olympics or recently in general? Over the last year I've been paying the lowest fares to Brazil since I started going fifteen years ago.

Aeroflot001

Mon May 16, 2016 6:53 am

I'll be heading to Brazil next month for a month, 1 week in Brasília and 3 in São Paulo. I'm not particularly worried about Zika, it's the crime and violence that bother me. It's noticeably higher than that in Argentina. I've been studying Portuguese Language and Brazilian culture for over 3 years and I'm looking forward to spending a month with two host families, living, eating, breathing Portuguese however the impunity and inequality are very relevant. I've traveled to both those cities already and in neither of them did I feel too concerned since I travel to Latin America often. In Rio however Favelas are in the city, people living in poverty live just steps away from luxury apartments, and there is a sense of impunity.
This video for example of the same street corner in Rio filmed 27 robberies/attempts in a 24 hour period. It absolutely makes my blood boil, kids assaulting people walking down the street without consequence. Brazil's Military Police is often criticized for its violence, however they are nonexistent in this video...
https://youtu.be/sfVCyGEBtYU

As to the flight loads I doubt they will be affected to much to GIG. Many people will still go to the olympics, I'll spend a weekend in GIG before then. The loads on MIA-BSB on AA vary wildly. The flight I took in December had poor loads, about 80ish passengers on the 757. My upcoming flight looks around the same at the moment.

LAX772LR

Tue May 17, 2016 1:29 am

Quoting reffado (Reply 10):
It is backed by the fact that tourism in Rio has never stopped because of violence there.

Which is of course, anecdotal; because it assumes that the status quo is indicative of the route's overall demand, while failing to take take into account how many have historically stayed away from booking at all, despite ties and/or desire to visit.

MSY is another city with the same issue, and their studies do show an impact with violence.
Same for CAI. I'd imagine TLV is another.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

LipeGIG

Wed May 18, 2016 9:31 am

I doubt they see cancellations at least during the Games. The business traffic is huge and include jornalists and a lot of executives going to attend events. Just a French bank is sending 300+ executives to the city for one of their annual key meetings which will be associated to the games.
Does Zika produce problems ? Yes, on people's mind.

AC runs 77L instead of 763 during August
On select dates, YYZ-GRU become YYZ-GIG-GRU and GRU-GIG-YYZ. One service SCL-GIG-YYZ
Aeroflot to run 4 services Moscow-Madrid-Rio de Janeiro and return
Korean to offer charters ICN-LAX-GIG-DXB-ICN
AF to run on Aug 22 4 flights GIG-CDG (3 77W + 1 A380)
to run also some CDG-GIG-GRU instead of CDG-GRU
JJ to run some extra services GIG-LHR , GIG-MIA and GIG-JFK
AV to run A332 on BOG-GIG and extra flights LIM-GIG-LIM
LA/JJ to run 5x daily SCL-GIG
LH to run before and after FRA-GIG-EZE EZE-GIG-FRA , extra rotation GIG-FRA using the 74H from GRU, GIG-BRU
OS to fly some GIG-VIE and GIG-SOF
DL with additional flights IAH-GIG, GIG-SJU and GIG-ATL
AA to run 3x weekly additional GIG-MIA, daylight (4 flights each way) JFK-GIG
G3 to run GIG-SCL, additional GIG-EZE
AZ to run extras FCO-GIG before and GIG-FCO after. Upgauge to 772
KL to run AMS-GIG with 77W
QF to fly 3 services SYD-SCL-GIG and return after the games
TP to run 2x daily LIS-GIG and extra flights before and after
UA to run several charters with 772 and 744.

And i got info about dozens of charters from all over the globe not already posted by Brazilian ANAC.

The key question will be how the city will take advantage of its new setup. An improved transport ring, a new subway line, accommodations that will now offer close to 60,000 hotel rooms (use to be 27,000 up to 2010) including modern properties like Hyatt, Hilton, Trump and Emiliano, an improved (and larger) convention center, two new museums (soon three when construction on Sound & Image Museum at Copacabana Beach construction is finished, finally a city Aquarium, a new revamp city/port area with great boulevards overlooking the Bay...
Rio will have the capacity to attract select conventions that in the past it use to lose as despite having good equipments (conference center), the hotels were too far and traffic to get there is horrible (still as the subway is not ready)... now Barra, the district where the Convention Center is located and also the Main Olympic Area, will be capable to offer 15,000 to 20,000 hotel rooms.
Rio become cheaper and that's the first advantage. Four years ago a bad hotel would cost you USD 250 a night... now you can stay in a prime hotel for even USD 100... and with the dolar at the current level... we just need a positive government focusing tourism and events the right way (of course, need to improve security)
New York + Rio de Janeiro = One of the best combinations !

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos