mcdu

RE: Should AA Dehub CLT Or Warn Passengers?

Mon May 16, 2016 11:13 pm

Breast feeding pilots, transgender warnings and threads about dehubbing over bathrooms. The lunacy level is off the charts. When did the spine and ability to suck it up and realize the world isn't always fair or considerate of whatever your proclivity is at the moment. Not everyone is special or unique nor do people care about your special uniqueness.

SCQ83
Topic Author

Mon May 16, 2016 11:20 pm

Quoting airzona11 (Reply 47):
How many transgender tourists are there anyways?

Even if there is a single one (and there will be many), AA should take them into consideration. Otherwise they are discriminating.

Quoting Mcdu (Reply 50):
Breast feeding pilots, transgender warnings and threads about dehubbing over bathrooms. The lunacy level is off the charts. When did the spine and ability to suck it up and realize the world isn't always fair or considerate of whatever your proclivity is at the moment. Not everyone is special or unique nor do people care about your special uniqueness.

I am speechless by your intolerant and irrespecutful message.

dcajet

Mon May 16, 2016 11:25 pm

Quoting BN727227Ultra (Reply 49):
That was a beautiful job of trolling.

So does Emirates or any of the ME3 warn passengers about the many issues that LGBT travelers will encounter in their neck of the woods, including the death penalty?

This has to be one of the most pointless threads in recent times here. OP surely must know that a billion dollar franchise such as AA will not make core decisions such as de hubbing an airport like CLT based on his opening premise. And lets no go into the stereotypes about Americans and North Carolinians the OP seems to have. Flamebait thread?
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

pasu129

Mon May 16, 2016 11:33 pm

Quoting ripcordd (Reply 14):
I mean trans gender people have been around for how long and there really wasn't any issues before were there?..

If you do anything but #1 or #2 in a bathroom, you're doing it wrong... Just saying.
Viva Las Vegas

vin2basketball

Mon May 16, 2016 11:43 pm

Unless I'm missing something, a whopping 0.3% (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_demographics_of_the_United_States) of the United States population is trans. Independent of my personal position on the issue (think its stupid, kind of pointless, hard to enforce, and maybe problematic for trans folks), I fail to see how this is a tangible business issue when it affects 0.3% of travelers, and probably a lower percentage of travelers in CLT (given lower percentages of folks who identify as trans in the Southern cities that are CLT's bread and butter markets).

sethwiddowson

Mon May 16, 2016 11:54 pm

The original poster does nothing but sensationalize nonsense by brining up this issue. Let's be realistic here. The average person connecting through Charlotte would not be exposed to any local customs other than warm hospitality. In fact CLT is a very friendly airport. It has rocking chairs and piano player in the atrium. The bathrooms have attendants that keep the restrooms spotless, greet you, and even hand out mints. Charlotte itself is a city friendly to LGBT travelers and business. (http://alwayswelcomeclt.org) The city council approved the LGBT protections back in February (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article61786967.html) unfortunately, that's what the state legislature and the governor reacted negatively to. Also keep in mind that back in 2014 North Carolina legally recognized gay marriage.

NC is getting bad press and will continue to get bad press over this issue. In time NC will work out its issues. What the governor and the state legislature did is bad for the state.

What's worse is when people jump on the bandwagon and sensationalize the issue.

jmc1975

Mon May 16, 2016 11:58 pm

I'm smelling this entire thread to be a nasty troll. Truth be told, most of the flying public would appreciate the safeguards that the North Carolina lawmakers have put in place.

SMUtexan

Tue May 17, 2016 12:01 am

This thread is a bit of an overreaction to a stupid law. I think the implications of a transgender person traveling thru or to North Carolina would pale in comparison to if they boarded a flight to the Middle East or some SE Asian countries. There are many countries that are allies or friends of the USA that have much more draconian and dangerous laws than we have. With recreational marijuana slowly becoming more acceptable (and legal in certain places) across the United States, should all US airlines warn US citizens that if they travel to Singapore with more than a few ounces of cannabis they potentially face the death penalty? This to me seems far more serious than a bathroom law and definitely affects a much larger percentage of the population than the .3% that identify as transgender in this country. I believe at the end of the day though that people should do their own due diligence before buying a ticket to a place they are unfamiliar with. It's not the airline's responsibility; their only job is to get you to your destination in a safe and timely manner.

CV880

Tue May 17, 2016 12:07 am

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 6):
Well your governor can take my governor and fly directly into the sun. I cant stand that man for what he started.

The HB2 law in NC is quite a joke that didn't need to happen. Unfortunately the Mayor of CLT got a Pro LGBT ordinance passed in the City Council which forbids discrimination. The Gov. (who is an ex-Mayor of CLT) was forced to go along with HB2 as He stands to lose His re-election if the rightwing rednecks who primarily reside east of RDU get hostile. Generally the larger cities of the State are liberal whereas the rural areas are the opposite. If the ordinance had not been created in CLT, HB2 probably would never have been proposed. Now it's a no-win situation.

Byrdluvs747

Tue May 17, 2016 12:08 am

Quoting Mcdu (Reply 50):

So true!!!!!
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

RDUDDJI

Tue May 17, 2016 12:16 am

Quoting flashmeister (Reply 43):
Um, yeah, well, I didn't start this thread.

My bad! I think I saw where you mistakenly quoted me using the OP's handle, and I mistakenly assumed you were the OP.

[Edited 2016-05-16 17:22:13]
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

deltal1011man

Tue May 17, 2016 12:22 am

Quoting SCQ83 (Thread starter):

What are you thoughts?

That if airlines thought the way you do the industry would just close shop.

Guess what, every single country/state has at least one law on the books that is going to offend someone. Its our job (as a human) to see, before hand, if a state, country, county, city etc. has a law that is negative toward us.

Hell you think AA should shut down CLT for that law, I feel sorry for you when you learn about of the laws in religious counties/states.

Seriously mods, how is this even happening? This is flamebait 101.

tortugamon

Tue May 17, 2016 12:25 am

One of the dumbest threads of recent memory. People really should better inform themselves.

Certainly change is necessary but dehubbing CLT and warning passengers?!

tortugamon

VX321

Tue May 17, 2016 1:13 am

If I had the choice of connections between CLT,PHL or MIA, I'd choose CLT!! It's easy to connect through, and I'm gay as well. While I don't support the law that got passed, to dehub your 2nd largest( correct me if I'm wrong) hub is nuts! The solution is to lobby the state legislature.

tp1040

Tue May 17, 2016 1:15 am

Certain people have an agenda. Anybody else that doesn't see it there way is an idiot and them should be re-educated. They crop up time to time to sling insults and over the top emotional remarks. ie. Qatar = North Carolina

The whole HB2 bill got started because of politics. The Democrat Mayor got a stupid ordinance passed that pointed out a problem where there was none. The legislature took the bait over reacted. It is an election year in the state of North Carolina. It is embarrassing to see the system get played by both sides.

There is enough blame to go around.

If every airline had to move because somebody was offended, we would not have any airlines.

On the personal side, I happen to know some transgendered people and their lives are a challenge. But they were able to manage before all of this. This pseudo debate is not helping.

richiemo

Re: Should AA Dehub CLT Or Warn Passengers?

Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:07 am

I transferred in CLT today. If there is a backlash you wouldn't know it. I've never seen that airport as crowded as I did this week.

F9Animal

Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:20 am

Oh wow!! So, AA should just throw in the towel and shutter it's hub in CLT because of a law that could easily be changed in the near future?

Did Lufthansa stop flying to Berlin after WWII when it learned about what Hitler Did? Politics are not a place any airline should even get involved in.
I Am A Different Animal!!

INFINITI329

Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:37 am

...and what happens if Texas passes their version of the law? Should AA de hub DFW as well... C'mon gimme a break. Airlines needs to keep their noses out of politics

hz747300

Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:49 am

That would be a total overreaction. Does the foreign office warn Jewish and Christian tourists they may face discrimination or worse traveling to one of the open border continental European nations, because that's way more likely to result in sh!t going down that a transgender person receiving anything more than an uncomfortable stare in North Carolina. Charlotte is fairly cosmopolitan and international already.
Keep on truckin'...

airliner371

Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:27 am

CLT is American's most profitable hub, it is not going anywhere.
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/ ... -american/

This is some thread...

Flighty

Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:32 am

If nothing else, I am glad if people realize CLT is a first-rate hub. The much more realistic question is, will AA need to expand the facility, not will they close the facility.

fraspotter

Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:37 am

F9Animal wrote:
Oh wow!! So, AA should just throw in the towel and shutter it's hub in CLT because of a law that could easily be changed in the near future?

Did Lufthansa stop flying to Berlin after WWII when it learned about what Hitler Did? Politics are not a place any airline should even get involved in.

No they stopped flying to Berlin because they weren't allowed to due to the rules surrounding the West Berlin Air Corridor thus why Pan Am, TWA and Delta among others flew routes between West Germany and West Berlin instead of Lufthansa.
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel

bennett123

Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:40 am

All countries have laws, and all are different.

How much information do you want.

In Chester, you can shot a Welshman if he is inside the City Walls after Midnight.

However, you must use a bow and arrows.

Should warnings be posted on street corners.

The result of what people want is just information overload.

scbriml

Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:44 am

bennett123 wrote:
In Chester, you can shot a Welshman if he is inside the City Walls after Midnight.

However, you must use a bow and arrows.

Which is only right and proper! :duck:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

skipness1E

Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:51 am

Use of bathrooms by transgender people is the tiniiest minority "concern" I can think of. No one I know, no one I have met, has this on their radar as a concern. Also, as a gay bloke, I don't really see why bathroom usage for transgender people is even a thing. Discretion will see you through most cases, of this tiny minority, a tiny minority of them would be up to no good in this situation I think?

Why are we even discussing this when Paris is rioting and Sweden is aflame in the same week Airbus is selling Western tech to a Nuclear powered Iran which hangs groups of gay people from cranes simply for being gay?

lugie

Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:21 am

Is this law even around anymore? NC has finally gotten a Democrat for governor again...
DH4 E75 E90 CR9 CRK M88 319 320 321 332 333 359 733 73G 738 739 748 764 772 77W 788
X3 LH 4U TP US SN EI FR IB LX LA CM UA DL AA AS WN AC
FRA STR HAM TXL MUC ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN ARN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR ORD ATL SFO MDW YYZ SJO PTY

Pengaea

Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:26 pm

lugie wrote:
Is this law even around anymore? NC has finally gotten a Democrat for governor again...

No. Even though the Gov and AG are Dems, the GOP still have large majorities in the State House and Senate. They've been stonewalling the repeal of HB2, stripping the governor of powers, etc. We're in for the long haul...

GSPSPOT

Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:30 pm

De-hubbing CLT over this would be a ridiculously stupid business move.

I just don't get it. Regardless of whatever laws are or aren't on the books, the world and the state of NC are still the same places they were before all this. No more or less safe for anyone. As a gay man myself, I just don't understand all this manufactured hysteria.
Great Lakes, great life.

jfk777

Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:45 pm

CLT is most of the value in Usairways. Their other large hub in PHL is more their international gateway, its too far north to be competitive with Atlanta. CLT is the only hub competitive with Delta's ATL hub in the south.

Sancho99504

Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:34 pm

This law is aimed at the people who will take advantage of what was passed in Charlotte and nullified by HB2. Transgender people are able to use whatever bathroom that they have always been using. Nobody in this country gave a care as to what bathroom transgender people used until some moron trying to get votes went "hey, use whatever bathroom you want". There have been documented instances in California where men pretending to be women, have gone into the ladies and assaulted women. But hey, you can connect in Saudi Arabia where they will kill you just based on a rumor that you might be gay.
kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out-USMC

saeswank

Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:35 pm

Airlines and companies should stay out of politics. Look what is happening to Target right now. Stock down 30% and market cap down $15B since boycott started.

ahj2000

Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:36 pm

Flighty wrote:
If nothing else, I am glad if people realize CLT is a first-rate hub. The much more realistic question is, will AA need to expand the facility, not will they close the facility.

The city has big plans for CLT. http://www.cltairport.com/News/Pages/De ... jects.aspx

On topic, as a Charlotte resident and taxpayer, there are no issues with the bathroom bill here. It is impossible to enforce without a check that totally violates constitutional rights or a birth certificate. Family restrooms are also abundant at CLT if anyone feels the need for it.
-Andrés Juánez

jbs2886

Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:48 pm

Mods, this thread should be closed. Its about political opinions.