Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aa777lvr
Topic Author

Boycott QR Billboards - ATL

Mon May 16, 2016 8:18 pm

Driving to work this morning I could have sworn I saw a billboard on I-75/85S (near Langford Pkwy area) in ATL asking to boycott QR. This evening I noticed the same billboard on 85N (near Turner Field area). It uses the QR purple as a background and boldly states something about oppression of worker's rights and women's rights in Qatar and asking ATL to boycott QR service.

Traffic was too intense to stop and snap a photo, but I will try tomorrow.

-AA777LVR

enilria

RE: Boycott QR Billboards - ATL

Mon May 16, 2016 8:50 pm

Gosh, who might be paying for that!

deltairlines

Mon May 16, 2016 8:51 pm

Looks like it's coming from this group.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...-baggage-to-atlanta-300268540.html

Press release came out this morning.

727LOVER

Mon May 16, 2016 8:53 pm

Quoting deltairlines (Reply 2):
Looks like it's coming from this group.

I'm curious if this will spread t o other QR USA markets like LAX, MIA & BOS
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

RamblinMan

Mon May 16, 2016 9:03 pm

I'm sure people will be all over that...right up until they do a kayak search.

Oh, look, $3500 J class flatbed to SE Asia... *click*

DL_Mech

Mon May 16, 2016 9:11 pm

Quoting RamblinMan (Reply 4):

Just did a Kayak search for ATL-HKG in J.....$3328. Delta was $4613 (2 US stops SLC,SEA).

ATL-BKK was $3159. DL was $6094.

[Edited 2016-05-16 14:20:20]
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

inflightVideo

Mon May 16, 2016 9:15 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 3):

They've already ran a campaign in BOS.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/.../QfD03eqYwmvAeOMuNFv7iP/story.html

tp1040

Mon May 16, 2016 9:18 pm

Obviously we should boycott ATL and CLT.

ATL supports and encourages an airline that enslaves child workers
CLT is in a state that hates transgender people and wants the all to die.

Unfortunately, these are very serious modern issues, but all the broadcast and social media hoopla surrounding the issues, means that meaningful discussion will never take place. BTW, neither the above comments about ATL or CLT are true, but to listen to some people, that is exactly the case (or worse)

ua900

Mon May 16, 2016 9:24 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 3):

Not just QR since the working conditions throughout the GCC countries are fairly similar. I could see this happening with the giant SV billboard next to T1 at LAX one day that gloats about the only non-stop between LAX and RUH.

Modeled on what the Iranian community did in their billboards against google. That method of political free speech via billboards seems to be fairly common in the U.S.

And it's not like one could put up a billboard like this in a GCC country, where else would one voice their dissent?

Quoting RamblinMan (Reply 4):
I'm sure people will be all over that...right up until they do a kayak search.

I might be in the minority here, but I don't book ME3 carriers for this very reason, even when I go to the ME3 and inadvertently contribute to that system when staying in hotels for example. For me it's a matter of minimizing the support in cases where some patronization is unavoidable.

But many visitors / ex-pats to the region don't object to this weird time travel to the antebellum south as long as the shoe isn't on the other foot. And that's the problem with that system, someone might be going through hell so that someone else can be really comfortable.
2020: AMS | BRU | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | IAH | LAX | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SFO | TXL

Ammad

Mon May 16, 2016 10:25 pm

Quoting DL_Mech (Reply 5):
just did a Kayak search for ATL-HKG in J.....$3328. Delta was $4613 (2 US stops SLC,SEA).

ATL-BKK was $3159. DL was $6094.

That pretty much says every thing. Wondering do they handle Amex?

Ammad

Mon May 16, 2016 10:39 pm

This year QR added three new US destination. i.e. LAX, BOS and now ATL, thus bringing count to 10 destinations into the US, this will also equalize total 10 destinations being served by EK in US.

Wondering who will be getting 11th destination city and when.

N867DA

Mon May 16, 2016 10:42 pm

I'm sure Qatar Airways (like the government of its home country) is guilty of some pretty disgusting human rights violations but ultimately the dollar will this fight.
A nation turns its lonely eyes to you

RamblinMan

Mon May 16, 2016 10:43 pm

I see more of an argument to boycott FIFA than QR.

enilria

Mon May 16, 2016 10:52 pm

Quoting DL_Mech (Reply 5):
Just did a Kayak search for ATL-HKG in J.....$3328. Delta was $4613 (2 US stops SLC,SEA).

It was probably $10k before QR was announced.

Quoting inflightvideo (Reply 6):
Quoting enilria (Reply 1):
Gosh, who might be paying for that!

Some outfit called 'Aware' apparently.

I suspect they received a kind donation equal to the cost of the ATL campaign.  
Quoting ua900 (Reply 9):
Not just QR since the working conditions throughout the GCC countries are fairly similar.

And yet most of the ME3 crews are Europeans who choose to work for these airlines when they could apply for AF/BA/LH/etc. In fact almost nobody working there are citizens. These people made a great effort to work at these airlines leaving their own country to do so. They are free to go back.

Quoting RamblinMan (Reply 13):
I see more of an argument to boycott FIFA than QR.

Yup

cfichad

Mon May 16, 2016 10:54 pm

I tried to snap a pic this morning on 85/75 but the traffic wouldn't allow it. I have to admit that I try to avoid middle eastern airlines at all cost as I know what the underpinnings of the countries they represent are.

I have a trip to SE Asia next April and I have to admit, I would pay more for the Delta lie flat service as opposed to saving some $$$ and riding with Qatar Airways. Just my 2 cents.
A proud American who loves his country and opposes Donald Trump and the Trump agenda!

deltal1011man

Mon May 16, 2016 11:57 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 14):

I suspect they received a kind donation equal to the cost of the ATL campaign.  

and if they did? Do you have a point?

infinit

Tue May 17, 2016 12:12 am

The ME3 have been long on my boycott list for this very reason.

enilria

Tue May 17, 2016 12:41 am

Quoting deltal1011man (Reply 18):

and if they did? Do you have a point?

If that's true, it's dishonest to use your money to stand behind somebody else's name, but then I'm no fan of politics.

Lufthansa

Tue May 17, 2016 12:42 am

I think we need to be careful.

Emirates is Run with a British CEO and mostly Australian and British management. They pay their FA's double what QR pays and they are far more socially conscious in QR.

QR on the other hand is run by a local egomaniac with much of the management being from India or the Philippines.
Al Baker himself has had an indian education. Now I have nothing against India, but in a country like this were you have far more pressing problems obviously labor standards and human rights are not at the level of countries like the UK, Australia, Germany etc. These social norms/expectations have come with their management. Couple that with the low pay, and QR struggles to keep staff from high income western nations. Many only last 6 months max and they have a serious problem with crew abandoning their duties on layovers. There's some well documented case of Swedish staff being forced to leave the country due to not meeting their curfew deadlines to be home by, and doing things like giving food to some very poor Bangladeshi guards working at the complexes they live at. As such when hiring europeans QR tends to be stuck with ones from poorer countries such as Romania, or ones that come from former colonies that have become economic basket cases like Zimbabwe.

I think its important we don't paint them all with the same brush, because although things aren't perfect in the Gulf States for staff - EK and EY are making a far far bigger effort with their staff than QR.

peterinlisbon

Tue May 17, 2016 1:01 am

Here is a web page that mentions some of the issues.

http://www.itfglobal.org/en/news-eve...usion-disgraces-oneworld-alliance/

And here is an article that appeared in a Swedish newspaper about how cabin crew are mistreated, abused, treated as the personal harem of the CEO and robbed of their salaries:

http://www.expressen.se/nyheter/the-...about-the-luxury-of-qatar-airways/

Qatar Airways, in treating its employees in this way, is showing a great deal of disrespect for the cultures and backgrounds of its staff by trying to impose their own moral and religious values on their private lives. For example:

"cabin crew may not be dropped off at or picked up from any Qatar Airways official premises, by a male other than her father, brother or husband".

There is also a curfew that applies, even on their days off. They are made to use ID cards to swipe in and out of the building that log the exact time. I find their whole attitude very offensive and disrespectful and I agree with the boycott. They have no right to be interfering in other people´s private lives. If they can't treat people from other cultures with respect then they shouldn't be in the airline business.

[Edited 2016-05-16 18:02:50]

[Edited 2016-05-16 18:03:50]

deltal1011man

Tue May 17, 2016 1:11 am

Quoting enilria (Reply 21):

If that's true, it's dishonest to use your money to stand behind somebody else's name, but then I'm no fan of politics.

Uh, no.

companies make donations all the time. In some cases its better to make donations but stand in the back of the room not to cause drama.

Since you are the one making the claim, why not find out if its true and report back? (I already know, it won't happen)

enilria

Tue May 17, 2016 1:15 am

Quoting peterinlisbon (Reply 24):
"cabin crew may not be dropped off at or picked up from any Qatar Airways official premises, by a male other than her father, brother or husband".

It seems crazy, but it's *their* culture. Saudi Arabia is far worse than Qatar. Saudia just happens to be in SkyTeam which is then immune from complaint from its airline partners and politically immune from the U.S. govt as well.

VX321

Tue May 17, 2016 1:16 am

I saw that billboard right outside of LAX. The dollar will win this one.

thekorean

Tue May 17, 2016 1:24 am

Quoting enilria (Reply 25):

Its not so much that they are in a ST, it's that they, for external reasons, can't really compete with US3 and EU3

But yea, if they want to point out human rights violation they need to cover everyone.

BestWestern

Tue May 17, 2016 2:26 am

I find it really depressing to see the United Sates regressing into totalitarian knee jerk reactions based on religion, shrouded in concern for 'human rights'. There are far worse airlines from far worse nations operating to the US.

I can think of one Middle East nation airline that operates to the United States that routinely oppresses a large minoroty of its population, and if there were anti posters for this airline, I can only imagine the uproar that would ensue.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

vin2basketball

Tue May 17, 2016 2:55 am

Quoting Lufthansa (Reply 19):

QR on the other hand is run by a local egomaniac with much of the management being from India or the Philippines.
Al Baker himself has had an indian education. Now I have nothing against India, but in a country like this were you have far more pressing problems obviously labor standards and human rights are not at the level of countries like the UK, Australia, Germany etc. These social norms/expectations have come with their management. Couple that with the low pay, and QR struggles to keep staff from high income western nations. Many only last 6 months max and they have a serious problem with crew abandoning their duties on layovers. There's some well documented case of Swedish staff being forced to leave the country due to not meeting their curfew deadlines to be home by, and doing things like giving food to some very poor Bangladeshi guards working at the complexes they live at. As such when hiring europeans QR tends to be stuck with ones from poorer countries such as Romania, or ones that come from former colonies that have become economic basket cases like Zimbabwe.

I think its important we don't paint them all with the same brush, because although things aren't perfect in the Gulf States for staff - EK and EY are making a far far bigger effort with their staff than QR.

Give me a break with the "Indian education" BS. I don't see Sundar Pichai or Satya Nadella mistreating workers at Google or Microsoft. And please tell me what the 11 Nobel Laureates, multiple startup founders, or the dozens of highly successful corporate CEOs (some of whom are in this list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Indian_Americans#Nobel_Prize) who have an education. In fact wake me up when Australia (or Christmas Island for that matter) has one technical university the caliber of an IIT

As the west's impeccably long history of colonialism shows, not even a Harvard education is enough to prevent the exploitation of workers.

pipeafcr

Tue May 17, 2016 3:14 am

Trashy move by DL. What ever happened to America welcoming competition?
Felipe Carrillo

jacobin777

Tue May 17, 2016 3:39 am

Quoting peterinlisbon (Reply 20):
Qatar Airways, in treating its employees in this way, is showing a great deal of disrespect for the cultures and backgrounds of its staff by trying to impose their own moral and religious values on their private lives. For example:

-Who's forcing QR employees to work for them in QR's country?

-How about all the people using iphones, imacs, ect. which use "slave labor" in China, etc.?
"Up the Irons!"

deltal1011man

Tue May 17, 2016 3:39 am

Quoting pipeafcr (Reply 27):

Trashy move by DL?

So you and enilria both are good at running your mouths without facts.

BTW, I'm still waiting for proof DL is behind any of these. (that have been well noted in other cities not just Atlanta.)

LCYFlyer

Tue May 17, 2016 6:45 am

Quoting jacobin777 (Reply 28):
Quoting peterinlisbon (Reply 20):

-Who's forcing QR employees to work for them in QR's country?

-How about all the people using iphones, imacs, ect. which use "slave labor" in China, etc.?

I totally agree.
In the end, only the price plays a role and the Middle East carriers are superior in quality/service.
So why book a ticket for the same route for a few thousand bucks more just to avoid the way these airline treat their employees?
Cheers, Pierre

BestWestern

Tue May 17, 2016 7:39 am

Quoting cedarjet (Reply 31):
This anti-QR movement is commercial in its motivation.

A surprising number of the anti GCC airlines here either work for the competition or are anti Muslim bigots.

ttm

Tue May 17, 2016 9:00 am

Quoting vin2basketball (Reply 26):
Give me a break with the "Indian education" BS.

sandycx

Tue May 17, 2016 9:06 am

As somebody with Nepalese origins who has lost family members in Qatar, I think people ought to know more about Qatar's labour practices. Like many have pointed out, of course the dollar will win but I believe there are people who, if they knew, would rather their dollars went to (inferior and more expensive) airlines.

It might have commercial motive but what is it hoping to achieve? Amongst other things, enough noise for the Qatari state to be forced to enshrine and enforce laws that protect the welfare of its migrant workers.

And yet most of the ME3 crews are Europeans who choose to work for these airlines when they could apply for AF/BA/LH/etc. In fact almost nobody working there are citizens. These people made a great effort to work at these airlines leaving their own country to do so. They are free to go back.

The article is trying to highlight mistreatment of migrant workers in Qatar who often aren't free to go back. Their passports are taken from them and their salaries held until the end of their contract. These workers will have borrowed money to pay a fee to agencies in their home country so they have that added pressure to continue working in terrible conditions to not let their families back home down.

This is certainly not the condition faced by Qatar Airways crew and management, who have chosen to work for QR quite often for better pay (no income tax in Qatar) but nevertheless, the airline is owned by the Qatari state and relies on framework built and run with appalling labour practices.

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 25):
I find it really depressing to see the United Sates regressing into totalitarian knee jerk reactions based on religion, shrouded in concern for 'human rights'. There are far worse airlines from far worse nations operating to the US.

I can think of one Middle East nation airline that operates to the United States that routinely oppresses a large minoroty of its population, and if there were anti posters for this airline, I can only imagine the uproar that would ensue.

This is not based on religion. It is trying to highlight labour practices in Qatar. Had it been based on religion, it would group TK, EK, EY and SV along with QR. More to the point, I don't think highlighting this issue makes other issues you are speaking of less prominent, if fact quite the opposite.

Quoting LCYFlyer (Reply 30):
In the end, only the price plays a role and the Middle East carriers are superior in quality/service.
So why book a ticket for the same route for a few thousand bucks more just to avoid the way these airline treat their employees?

Because some people care about these things. Not all things in life boils down to cheap fares and perceived sense of luxury.

georgiaame

Tue May 17, 2016 1:05 pm

Kuwait refused passage to 2 Israeli citizens from New York to London fairly recently, and wound up having to pull out of the American market because of their discriminatory rules. I'm sure Qatar is equally enlightened. Perhaps Delta should find a couple of Israelis, purchase some tickets on Qatar, and let nature take its course. Probably be a cheap investment. Alas, I'm flying Atlanta SE Asia in August, spent a bloody fortune on my Delta business class ticket, but at least I'm not routed through the apparently much cheaper, dare I say subsidized, Middle East, and I do get to fly on Delta's 747s yet again and before the axe falls. Was that worth an additional $1500. over what I paid? My wife might argue, but I'm not complaining.
"Trust, but verify!" An old Russian proverb, quoted often by a modern American hero

inflightVideo

Tue May 17, 2016 1:29 pm

Quoting pipeafcr (Reply 27):

It isn't DL. The ads are from an organization called 'AWARE' and are also at BOS.

enilria

Tue May 17, 2016 1:33 pm

Quoting deltal1011man (Reply 21):
Since you are the one making the claim, why not find out if its true and report back? (I already know, it won't happen)
Quoting deltal1011man (Reply 29):
BTW, I'm still waiting for proof DL is behind any of these. (that have been well noted in other cities not just Atlanta.)

As you know there is no real time reporting requirement for donations like that. If it is ever released it will be no sooner than the tax entity reports their return. Probably a year from now. I doubt this thread will be active by then, but I'm sure you were aware of that. BTW, I clearly said "I SUSPECT", that is not the same...

Quoting sandycx (Reply 33):

The article is trying to highlight mistreatment of migrant workers in Qatar who often aren't free to go back.
Their passports are taken from them and their salaries held until the end of their contract. These workers will have borrowed money to pay a fee to agencies in their home country so they have that added pressure to continue working in terrible conditions to not let their families back home down.

BTW, how well are migrant Central American and Mexican workers working illegally in the USA treated? I believe I've heard all those same accusations, and many are doing off-book work for major corporations via sub-contractors for cleaning, landscaping, construction, etc.

AirbusCanada

Tue May 17, 2016 1:38 pm

Quoting inflightvideo (Reply 35):
t isn't DL. The ads are from an organization called 'AWARE' and are also at BOS.

Wake up and smell the coffee. It is a "superpack" working for the US3.

If American are advocating people should boycott product from a country that does not protect it's labor force,
they should start at home.

Mercury News alleged that Tesla contractor Eisenmann and a subcontractor ISM Vuzem hired more than 140 workers from Eastern European countries and paid them as little as $5 an hour to build a car-painting facility in California.

Maybe it's time to boycott Tesla.
[Edited 2016-05-17 06:51:09]

[Edited 2016-05-17 06:53:22]

AirbusCanada

Tue May 17, 2016 1:50 pm

double post. Please delete.

[Edited 2016-05-17 06:51:29]

UAEflyer

Tue May 17, 2016 2:00 pm

Quoting N867DA (Reply 12):

I can see your country troops defending the children in Allepo, WaW please keep criticising others and give blind eye to your home.

Quoting cfichad (Reply 15):

With all due respect , but would any of the ME3 care if you or me avoided them ?
Whether we like it or not they are very successful airlines and they are a light year ahead of DL although they are new compared to DL history.

Quoting infinit (Reply 17):

I suggest you boycott airlines from the country that created the "creative chaos" in the Middle East.

Quoting georgiaame (Reply 34):

Few days ago on TV a university student was taken to jail by Israel authorities on the boarder with Jordan without any reason, only because of his origin, he spent 10 days in prison and refused in Israel for no reason at all ?
A valid reason to boycot El Al ?

Capt.Fantastic

Tue May 17, 2016 2:15 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 25):

Agreed 100%. That particular country is guilty of monumental human rights violations, and is, in fact, an apartheid state... but let's just ignore all of that and pick on evil Qatar Airways.

BestWestern

Tue May 17, 2016 2:16 pm

who has lost family members in Qatar,

As someone who has lost family members in the US building works, should I ban all US airlines from flying to Hong Kong. Of course not. That would be pathetic.

A lot of the construction companies in Qatar are owned by Euopean and Ameican firms.

I would also wager there are more construction deaths in India and Nepal per capita than in Qatar.

SOBHI51

Tue May 17, 2016 2:23 pm

Quoting georgiaame (Reply 34):
and wound up having to pull out of the American market because of their discriminatory rules

They still fly to JFK but no via LHR as before.
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

Aesma

Tue May 17, 2016 2:30 pm

Quoting inflightvideo (Reply 6):
Quoting ():
The de facto marketing arm of the state, Qatar Airways

Isn't that Al Jazeera ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

zeke

Tue May 17, 2016 2:45 pm

This has more to do with politics that Civ-av. Can we move it to
Non-AV ?
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

dubaiamman243

Tue May 17, 2016 2:52 pm

Any pictures to share?
The next airline CEO :crossfingers:

pipeafcr

Tue May 17, 2016 3:59 pm

Quoting deltal1011man (Reply 29):
Trashy move by DL?

So you and enilria both are good at running your mouths without facts.

Well who else would it be? Historically DL has been talking aggressive towards middle eastern carriers. They blame their business model and it's a main reason for DL pulling out of the Emirates. Those are facts right here. I also doubt that a non-airline sector and I doubt Southwest, Spirt, Alaskan or American put those up. Also I believe you're being biased, specially since delta is in your anet name.
Felipe Carrillo

AirbusCanada

Tue May 17, 2016 4:03 pm

Am i missing something or this so called "AWARE" group does not even have a website to enlighten us about themselves and Human Rights abuses at the state of Qatar.

manny

Tue May 17, 2016 4:40 pm

Most of you read this thread and posted in it thanks to a mobile device that was made somewhere in China by exploited workers. Infact the factory where they make these devices, workers jump of the roof because its a nightmare in there. The irony.

KLMA330

Tue May 17, 2016 5:07 pm

I don't need a billboard to tell me to boycott Qatar, EK and so on...

watch the news, am aware of workers conditions, women's rights and gay rights (or the lack there of).

Not interested. would rather suffer on Delta in coach than know I'm supporting that part of the world, even a tiny tiny bit.

but that's just me...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos