Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

enilria
Topic Author

AFA Urges JLo To Cancel ATL Concert For QR

Tue May 17, 2016 11:01 pm

Interesting that ATL is where all these issues seem to be flaring up, when such things didn't happen in PHL, for example.

Jennifer Lopez is urged to scrap the private concert for Qatar Airways that she’s scheduled to perform tonight at the Fox Theatre in Atlanta by the Association of Flight Attendants, which represents nearly 60,000 flight attendants at 18 airlines. An open letter from Sara Nelson, the association’s international president, cites human rights concerns in imploring Lopez to cancel.

Qatar Airways disputes the allegations: “Qatar Airways is a valued partner to Atlanta and Georgia, and accusations against Qatar Airways are not only outdated, they are false and overstated. This has been a non-issue. In fact, employment with the airline is regarded as one of the most sought after and desired in aviation.”

http://www.afacwa.org/afa_openletter_jlo_qatarairways

http://buzz.blog.ajc.com/2016/05/17/...irways-over-human-rights-concerns/

slcdeltarumd11

RE: AFA Urges JLo To Cancel ATL Concert For QR

Tue May 17, 2016 11:08 pm

she does this for the $$$$$$
i doubt she cares about politics of the country this airlines is in, as long as their check clears

tortugamon

Tue May 17, 2016 11:10 pm

DL just dropped their sponsorship of the theater where the performance is being held (FOX) and stated their motivation/timing for doing so. A 20+ year relationship. Seems petty.

tortugamon

EA CO AS

Tue May 17, 2016 11:26 pm

Quoting tortugamon (Reply 2):
Seems petty.

Delta? Petty? The hell you say!   
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

seabosdca

Tue May 17, 2016 11:32 pm

DL just dropped their sponsorship of the theater where the performance is being held (FOX) and stated their motivation/timing for doing so.

Every management team has its blind spots, and Delta's management's blind spot is just how bad this petty whining about the ME3 makes them look.

adamh8297

Tue May 17, 2016 11:44 pm

Quoting enilria (Thread starter):

Interesting that ATL is where all these issues seem to be flaring up, when such things didn't happen in PHL, for example.

Well AWARE did have the billboards and radio ads in BOS though 90's R+B group En Vogue did the concert for QR launch event under less fanfare and a month or so after the route started.
Airlines flown: A3, AA, AC, AF, AM, BA, B6, CA, CO, CX, DL, EA, EL, IB, LH, MI, MQ, NH, NW, NZ, OU, PE, QF, S4, SQ, TP, UA, US, VS, WE, WN

2019: CX BOS-HKG, WE HKG-HKT, CA HKT-PEK-EWR, B6 EWR-BOS

reffado

Tue May 17, 2016 11:48 pm

Because God forbid DL actually, you know, has to compete on pricing. Or product. Or :gasp: both.

[Edited 2016-05-17 16:49:26]

tortugamon

Wed May 18, 2016 12:13 am

Wow. Here is a quote from DL via Lucky onemileatatime and ajc.com:

"Delta’s chief legal officer Peter Carter said the reason can be traced back to a harsh comment Qatar Airways CEO Akbar Al Baker made about Delta.

“When the CEO of Qatar first told the world that they would be flying to Atlanta, what he told the world was that he was going to start a flight from Doha to Atlanta… to rub salt in the wounds of Delta,” Carter said. “So we were very surprised and disappointed when we learned that the Fox Theatre — an organization that we’ve supported for years, an organization that has called us its official airline — we were shocked and surprised when we learned that they were hosting the coming out party for Qatar.”

“We felt that, you know, a real friend would have contacted us and had a conversation with us, and so we thought it was time for us to re-evaluate that relationship. And so we won’t be supporting the Fox going forward,” Carter said. “We were disappointed that we didn’t get a phone call, because I think a phone call would have probably prevented the whole thing.”
http://airport.blog.ajc.com/2016/05/...over-qatar-airways-event-with-jlo/

So not only is it kinda petty to not sponsor a longstanding partner over this but to do so over the lack of a phone call. That doesn't make it sound better guys.

Quoting reffado (Reply 6):
Because God forbid DL actually, you know, has to compete on pricing. Or product. Or :gasp: both

I hear you but I actually think the DL product increasingly rivals the ME3. And they are 2-3 times as profitable as the ME3 combined. Now if we are talking about the ability to efficiently get to South Asia/Middle East then I agree that DL can't hang.

Quoting seabosdca (Reply 4):
Every management team has its blind spots, and Delta's management's blind spot is just how bad this petty whining about the ME3 makes them look.

A blind spot is a good way of thinking about it. You would think some PR person would speak up to say this these comments hurt the company more than help it. They kinda need to keep perspective. If QR sponsors that non-profit theater they could turn this into some solid cheap marketing for this route.

To be honest the theater should have considered this angle but they probably aren't marketing people. They will come out looking good regardless.

tortugamon

BestWestern

Wed May 18, 2016 12:25 am

It can be traced back long before the QR ATL launch. Perhaps even further than when DL linked the ME3 to 9/11.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

WaywardMemphian

Wed May 18, 2016 1:19 am

Celeb outrage is fleeting, Cirque du Soleil cancels North Carolina shows but performs in Dubai.

DL_Mech

Wed May 18, 2016 1:25 am

This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

Former AMT on A220,A310,A319/20/21,A330,A350,B707,B717,B727,B737,B747,B757,B767,B777,DC-9,DC-10,L-1011,
MD-80/90,MD-11

col

Wed May 18, 2016 2:00 am

Hey Peter Carter what about ATL Airport. Did they ask you about letting Qatar use the airport everyday? Did you get a call? Did they ask you how to run their business? I'd expect these sort of comments from my kids when they were much younger, not from a senior manager at DL.

WaywardMemphian

Wed May 18, 2016 2:08 am

Quoting seabosdca (Reply 4):

Don't forget Norweigian.

RyanairGuru

Wed May 18, 2016 2:24 am

Quoting reffado (Reply 6):

Sure, DL might have some legitimate concerns with QR but throwing the equivalent of a two year olds temper tantrum isn't the way to air those grievances. Whinging that QR are hosting an event at a private venue strikes me as very petty, and cancelling a long standing sponsorship of said venue strikes me as very vindicative.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

lostsound

Wed May 18, 2016 5:50 am

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 1):

i doubt she cares about politics of the country this airlines is in, as long as their check clears

Of course and I would too. There are way bigger battles to fight in the world than the ME3 vs the US3. She shouldn't be expected to give up work for a war between airlines or the AFA.

Beardown91737

Wed May 18, 2016 6:00 am

Quoting DL_Mech (Reply 10):
Not her first controversial performance:

Go back further, since we have had FIFA comments on this thread. J.Lo performed at halftime of the 1999 Womens World Cup final at the Rose Bowl.
135 hrs PIC (mostly PA-28) - not current. Landings at MDW, PIA, JAN.

blueflyer

Wed May 18, 2016 7:57 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 8):
I'd expect these sort of comments from my kids when they were much younger, not from a senior manager at DL.

Peter Carter is an alias for a 15-year old Valley girl! Didn't get a phone call... Ridiculous.

Faro

Wed May 18, 2016 8:08 am

To care about its politics, she would have to know about it in the first place...wouldn't be surprised if she thought Qatar is a mispronunciation of Tatar...again if she ever heard of the latter in the first place...

Faro
The chalice not my son

infinit

Wed May 18, 2016 8:55 am

DL just dropped their sponsorship of the theater where the performance is being held (FOX) and stated their motivation/timing for doing so. A 20+ year relationship. Seems petty.

Delta just went up a few notches in my books!

enilria
Topic Author

Wed May 18, 2016 11:23 am

I don't think I've ever seen anything like this in terms of an airline coming into somebody else's hub. They had better be careful, because as the election has pointed out....when you tell people not to do something, they do it out. It's 1 flight per day. What's the most they could ever have in ATL? 2. Big deal...

Quoting tortugamon (Reply 7):
“We were disappointed that we didn’t get a phone call, because I think a phone call would have probably prevented the whole thing.”
So not only is it kinda petty to not sponsor a longstanding partner over this but to do so over the lack of a phone call. That doesn't make it sound better guys.
Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 13):
Whinging that QR are hosting an event at a private venue strikes me as very petty, and cancelling a long standing sponsorship of said venue strikes me as very vindicative.

I can imagine how the phone call would have solved things. "We are going to be hosting a QR party". "Don't host the QR party". Problem solved!

It's almost a pity they didn't cancel it because yo know who is at this party? All the big corporate execs and travel agents, etc that QR is wooing. If they got this cancelled it would have made all those people even more likely to book QR. They are also giving QR massive publicity. PT Barnum: "Any publicity is good publicity".

I hear you but I actually think the DL product increasingly rivals the ME3. And they are 2-3 times as profitable as the ME3 combined.

The physical seat is competitive.

nikeherc

Wed May 18, 2016 11:54 am

If GM were the official sponsor of the Fox and Fiat-Chrysler hired JLo to perform at an event at the Fox, would GM have the right to be miffed? Maybe so.

Entertainers are usually big supporters of unions, so AFA's objections to QR sound reasonable. DL FAs are not unionized, so this would seem like a fairly broad front for objections to QR's practices.

Remember this is the home of DL and without DL, ATL would be a fairly small airport in the South.
DC6 to 777 and most things in between

Falcons023

Wed May 18, 2016 11:56 am

WOW! This is very surprising. How can Delta get so low and end a 20+ year relationship effect because of some petty feud with Qatar? Lot of baby boomers and corporate companies support Fox theater...now they know what Delta is and its true colors.

The effects of this could be...some people flying Southwest in domestic and try to avoid Delta as much as possible. What a PR disaster.

WaywardMemphian

Wed May 18, 2016 12:14 pm

Quoting Falcons023 (Reply 21):

WOW! This is very surprising. How can Delta get so low and end a 20 year relationship effect because of some petty feud with Qatar? Lot of baby boomers and corporate companies support Fox theater...now they know what Delta is and its true colors.

Fox will get along fine without Delta. Delta is having another temper tantrum. This is the same airline fighting tooth and nail to stop Allegiant from landing in a airport in the burbs.

Quoting nikeherc (Reply 20):
Remember this is the home of DL and without DL, ATL would be a fairly small airport in the South.

Atlanta is the largest city in the South and has been since before the Civil War and a lot of that had very little to do with Delta. So, your statement makes me giggle. Would it be the largest in the world? Who knows, but it would still be a large airport and maybe more beneficial to the actual residents of the city.

TVNWZ

Wed May 18, 2016 12:30 pm

If I were QF I would sponsor the FOX. Put up big signs. Take out ads. Remind everyone they stepped in when DL pulled out.

BC77008

Wed May 18, 2016 12:38 pm

Quoting WaywardMemphian (Reply 22):
Atlanta is the largest city in the South

I think a few cities in Texas and perhaps at least one in far south Florida would disagree with this.
MY favorite airline and hub is bigger and/or better than YOUR favorite airline and hub!

nikeherc

Wed May 18, 2016 12:52 pm

Quoting WaywardMemphian (Reply 22):
So, your statement makes me giggle.

Giggle if you will, but this forum is full of folks telling us that ATL has not so much O&D, and is mostly connections. So maybe it would be bigger than JAX or MSY, but it wouldn't be what it is today.

Quoting Falcons023 (Reply 21):
How can Delta get so low and end a 20+ year relationship effect because of some petty feud with Qatar?

Let me get this straight, DL has sponsored the Fox for more than 20 years and shouldn't get upset when the Fox throws a party for another airline? Remember that sponsoring the Fox means giving them money. Seems to me like the Fox was the one taking the pieces of silver here.

Polot

Wed May 18, 2016 1:16 pm

Quoting nikeherc (Reply 25):
Giggle if you will, but this forum is full of folks telling us that ATL has not so much O&D, and is mostly connections. So maybe it would be bigger than JAX or MSY, but it wouldn't be what it is today.

It would still be a major hub for someone. ATL is located right in the heart of the Southeast, the second most populous region in the US and one of the fastest growing. You can't beat its location. Tell people in TLH, MOB, CHA, HSV, PNS etc that they have to go all the way down to south Florida or all the way west to DFW/IAH to connect. If DL had not grown there someone else would have- there is a reason EA and Airtran had hubs there, and TWA had an ill fated attempt in the 90s.

Also ATL's O&D traffic is a minority when looking at the airport's overall operations. That doesn't mean it is a small number. In 2014 there were ~15 million O&D passengers (latest numbers I could quickly find) which in and of it self would make ATL one of the top 30 largest airports in the US. But because of the large hub that O&D traffic is only ~30% of the total passengers.

Quoting TVNWZ (Reply 23):
If I were QF I would sponsor the FOX. Put up big signs. Take out ads. Remind everyone they stepped in when DL pulled out.

Why would QF sponsor the FOX in ATL and put out an ad blitz in the market? The closest airport they serve is over 700 miles away.

[Edited 2016-05-18 06:24:11]

flybry

Wed May 18, 2016 1:27 pm

As long as Qatar is paying her mad paper to perform, all JLo's thinking about is the new rocks she'll be able to flash on her fingers.

WaywardMemphian

Wed May 18, 2016 1:30 pm

Let me get this straight, DL has sponsored the Fox for more than 20 years and shouldn't get upset when the Fox throws a party for another airline? Remember that sponsoring the Fox means giving them money. Seems to me like the Fox was the one taking the pieces of silver here.

Fox didn't throw anything, they were paid to provide a facility for an event held by another party. It's no different than a wedding venue. They should stay out of the what's right, what's wrong guessing game.

And maybe more Atlanta folks could afford to fly from there. Just like Memphis, a fortress hub that had jacked up prices so high for the locals but the airport was addicted to "hub" status. Here the airport does something to helplocal pricing in and the spoiled rich kid hates it.

Quoting BC77008 (Reply 24):

I think a few cities in Texas and perhaps at least one in far south Florida would disagree with this.

Now this truly is parsing at it's finest.

Atlanta has been the central commercial hub of the traditional deep south since the early 1800s. Texas has always kinda been considered their ownselves with a common attachment to the rest of the south considering where the founders and settlers mostly came from, specifically Tennessee. The Miami MSA is all of 300,000 more than Atlanta, you win , uncle, uncle.

enilria
Topic Author

Wed May 18, 2016 1:54 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 19):
I don't think I've ever seen anything like this in terms of an airline coming into somebody else's hub. They had better be careful, because as the election has pointed out....when you tell people not to do something, they do it out. It's 1 flight per day. What's the most they could ever have in ATL? 2. Big deal...

Should have said: when you tell people not to do something, they do it.

Giggle if you will, but this forum is full of folks telling us that ATL has not so much O&D, and is mostly connections.

Actually ATL is not that far from 50-50 local/connect. Its isn't even near the bottom in terms of ratio.

when the Fox throws a party for another airline?

You see, FOX didn't throw a party for QR. QR threw a party for QR and rented the FOX.

It's a VERY slippery slope. IMAGINE, if people boycotted an airline because of a passenger they agreed to transport. Every airline transports all matter of despicable people: politicians, prisoners, war criminals, terrorists, etc?

Just because a business accepts money from a customer, it doesn't mean they agree with their human rights views...unless you live in North Carolina. I guess this fits in pretty well with that.

You've heard of Eastern?

nikeherc

Wed May 18, 2016 2:11 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 29):
You've heard of Eastern?

Do you mean the new charter airline, the former airline that went broke in the last century? Eastern had a hub in Charlotte, too.

enilria
Topic Author

Wed May 18, 2016 2:17 pm

Quoting nikeherc (Reply 30):
Quoting enilria (Reply 29):
You've heard of Eastern?

Do you mean the new charter airline, the former airline that went broke in the last century? Eastern had a hub in Charlotte, too.

To say that "ATL would have been a fairly small airport in the South... without Delta" pretends that Eastern never existed.

cloud4000

Wed May 18, 2016 2:51 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 3):
Delta? Petty? The hell you say!   

Delta is not only being petty, but are hypocrites. If it's really about human rights and working conditions, then why is Saudia, a fellow SkyTeam member, given such a pass. I mean this is a country whose human rights record is probably worse than Qatar, and who treat their guest workers just as poorly.
Boston, USA

Yakflyer

Wed May 18, 2016 2:59 pm

To me this is a question of loyalties and it is a two way street. Delta had been a loyal supporter of the Fox Theater for 20 years. That means for 20 years they have provided funding for a non-profit historical venue that depends on donations for it's existence.

It would seem to me the loyalty Delta has demonstrated to Fox was not reciprocated when Qatar approached Fox to use the venue. I doubt any business person in Atlanta would be oblivious to the contention between Delta an Qatar. So in this instance the managers at the Fox theater chose to accept a booking from an enemy of one of their most loyal sponsors.

I seriously doubt the one time booking fee Qatar paid for the event would come close to equalling the amount of money Delta has shared with the Fox Theater over 20 years. In my opinion the theater managers were extremely disrespectful to Delta by accepting the booking and are not deserving of support from Delta in the future. I would have ended the relationship with the theater too if it was up to me.

panamair

Wed May 18, 2016 3:05 pm

Quoting cloud4000 (Reply 32):
Delta is not only being petty, but are hypocrites. If it's really about human rights and working conditions, then why is Saudia, a fellow SkyTeam member, given such a pass. I mean this is a country whose human rights record is probably worse than Qatar, and who treat their guest workers just as poorly.

Huh??? Delta did not say anything about Qatar's human rights or labor conditions.

TVNWZ

Wed May 18, 2016 3:32 pm

Quoting Polot (Reply 26):
Why would QF sponsor the FOX in ATL and put out an ad blitz in the market? The closest airport they serve is over 700 miles away.

To stick it to Delta in their home town of course.

EA CO AS

Wed May 18, 2016 3:53 pm

Now DL is upping their pettiness quotient, barring AS employees from marching in the SEA Pride Parade after buying exclusive rights to it. AS previously sponsored the event but permitted DL employees to march, as the event is about being inclusive.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-...cial&utm_campaign=article_left_1.1
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Aesma

Wed May 18, 2016 4:27 pm

If GM were the official sponsor of the Fox and Fiat-Chrysler hired JLo to perform at an event at the Fox, would GM have the right to be miffed? Maybe so.

Entertainers are usually big supporters of unions, so AFA's objections to QR sound reasonable. DL FAs are not unionized, so this would seem like a fairly broad front for objections to QR's practices.

Are you saying that Delta owns Atlanta ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

seabosdca

Wed May 18, 2016 4:31 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 36):
Now DL is upping their pettiness quotient, barring AS employees from marching in the SEA Pride Parade after buying exclusive rights to it.

This is already turning into a PR disaster for Delta in Seattle. It's a complete misreading of the local market. People around here are very attached to their local businesses, and barring AS employees from marching in uniform or with AS logos is bringing a lot of ill feeling and bad publicity in local media. They would have gotten far more benefit from just sponsoring the event and having their branding all over the place without trying to keep AS out.

I don't know whether it's excessively zealous brand management, thin skin, or (as Jon Ostrower tweeted this morning) "imperial" arrogant behavior, but the attitude is really not doing the airline any favors.

[Edited 2016-05-18 09:31:59]

AA94

Wed May 18, 2016 5:20 pm

Quoting Yakflyer (Reply 33):
It would seem to me the loyalty Delta has demonstrated to Fox was not reciprocated when Qatar approached Fox to use the venue. I doubt any business person in Atlanta would be oblivious to the contention between Delta an Qatar. So in this instance the managers at the Fox theater chose to accept a booking from an enemy of one of their most loyal sponsors.

You do understand that this line of thinking is a slippery slope, right?

The idea that a company's sponsorship of a certain entity guarantees it treatment that isn't contractually (or otherwise) obligated is dangerous. Should Fox deny itself business because accepting that business might hurt Delta's feelings? Should Delta now look over Fox's shoulder at every turn to ensure the theater only books events that align with Delta's own interests?

Delta runs an excellent operation and is extremely successful by many metrics. Maybe they should be basking in the glow of that reality instead of picking the pettiest of battles.

tortugamon

Wed May 18, 2016 5:28 pm

Bloomberg and USAToday are all publishing articles on this. That is pretty mainstream stuff. QR is getting a ton of free publicity about this new route coupled with DL getting virtually nothing in return and aggravating others.

This seems like such a well-run airline with smart professionals in key roles, I just don't get how they can be messing this up so royally. It just seems like extreme arrogance coupled with a lack of understanding how the media works.

Quoting AA94 (Reply 39):
Should Fox deny itself business because accepting that business might hurt Delta's feelings

If they were intelligent they would have considered the implications of taking on the business. It just depends on how important Delta is to them. If they are their primary financial backer then assisting a competitor of their primary backer is a bad business move. If DL is one of many and losing them isn't that big of a deal then its another matter all together. One thing DL did for FOX in this is to do that interview stating that this is the reason they are dropping FOX. They could have gone there in a couple weeks when the contract was up and said they are not renewing the contract and it would have got their point across but this is vindictive and so short sited. As it is FOX benefits like crazy from this; just think of the sympathy donations and other companies that will want to sponsor them to gain some positive PR. DL literally gains nothing.

tortugamon

WaywardMemphian

Wed May 18, 2016 6:07 pm

Quoting tortugamon (Reply 40):
As it is FOX benefits like crazy from this; just think of the sympathy donations and other companies that will want to sponsor them to gain some positive PR. DL literally gains nothing.

QR could cut a check for a couple of years out of petty cash.

Yakflyer

Wed May 18, 2016 6:09 pm

Quoting AA94 (Reply 39):
The idea that a company's sponsorship of a certain entity guarantees it treatment that isn't contractually (or otherwise) obligated is dangerous. Should Fox deny itself business because accepting that business might hurt Delta's feelings? Should Delta now look over Fox's shoulder at every turn to ensure the theater only books events that align with Delta's own interests?

Maybe I am a little naive, but when I do business I prefer to work with people that I consider to be friendly to me and the relationship is important to me. The point is everyone is free to make the choices they choose to, but all of our choices have consequences. The Fox theater chose to be disloyal to a very loyal sponsor.

To answer your question about whether Fox should have turned downed the business from Qatar, the answer should be whether they felt like the one time booking was more valuable than the long tern relationship and support of Delta. If the decision was as crass as the total number of dollars they received for the booking being more than what they would receive over time from Delta, then they made the correct decision accepting the booking. I would have hoped that the relationship would have had more priority .

seabosdca

Wed May 18, 2016 6:16 pm

DL literally gains nothing.

That's the bottom line with all of these petty tantrums. I have a two-year-old. They gain him nothing either, but at least he'll eventually figure that out.

Quoting AA94 (Reply 39):
Maybe they should be basking in the glow of that reality instead of picking the pettiest of battles.

The most productive response to the QR event at the Fox would have been to have a private talk with the Fox management to put them on notice. I doubt it even occurred to the management that a non-exclusive sponsor would drop them over accepting a private paid engagement from the sponsor's competition.

The most productive way to handle the Seattle pride parade would have been to sponsor it, ensure that no AS logos were on official parade publicity materials, show up with a large employee contingent and maybe a fun ramp toy or two, and then let the AS employee group march as usual.

In both cases the airline would have avoided a PR problem and not lost anything of value.

[Edited 2016-05-18 11:16:45]

hohd

Wed May 18, 2016 6:23 pm

Seriously DL is picking the wrong airline for a fight. TK would be far more threatening to DL as TK provides connecting service to Europe as well as Middle East.

QR only provides service to where DL does not serve.

cokepopper

Wed May 18, 2016 6:23 pm

From Delta:

"We are disheartened that we were not contacted prior to the publication of the Times story, which misrepresents Delta’s values and our stance on Seattle Pride events.

Had we been contacted, we would have shared that as a partner of Seattle Pride and Pride events around the world, Delta celebrates the inclusive spirit of Pride and all members of the LGBTQ community. While our sponsorship allows us to display Delta branding at the event, Delta has in no way restricted the participation or attire of any individual or group participating in Seattle Pride events. Each year, Delta people proudly walk alongside airlines and other companies in support of the LGBTQ community at Pride events around the country. True to the spirit of Pride and our belief in inclusivity, we welcome participation from all members of the community."

DfwRevolution

Wed May 18, 2016 6:24 pm

And what, the flight attendants are non-for-profit? They aren't the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts of America. It's one group of paycheck earners telling another not to earn a paycheck.
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

AABB777

Wed May 18, 2016 6:28 pm

Bloomberg and USAToday are all publishing articles on this. That is pretty mainstream stuff. QR is getting a ton of free publicity about this new route coupled with DL getting virtually nothing in return and aggravating others.

Most of the QR publicity is bad and I doubt QR is happy with all the negative attention. Their brand is being tarnished. Thankfully, they have little to fear, as most of their customers fly them because of the cheap fares. In fact, today QR launched a premium promotion that has fares starting at $2,000 (!) for roundtrip travel from the USA to the QR network...in Business Class. This is a clear sign the airline is struggling for bookings in the premium cabin.

Polot

Wed May 18, 2016 6:29 pm

Quoting Yakflyer (Reply 42):

The thing is the Fox theater sponsorship is more about local PR and goodwill than business. I doubt Fox is sending much traffic on DL, and that people are choosing DL because of the Fox partnership. . This isn't a major corporation switching a valuable business contract away from DL. The sponsorship just an attempt by DL to be a good corporate citizen in their home market.

Which is why the response is so weird. DL is going to throw that all away, and potentially generate negative PR from them (especially if the theater is significantly financially hurt by the loss of DL's sponsorship- the local media would eat that up, and would get even more bad PR if someone like WN swooped in and helped "rescue" the theater) because of a one time event that frankly would have gotten zero press outside of ATL if DL had not called attention to it. DL just pulled a Streisand on this entire issue, and comes across as petty and meanspirited in the process.

mpdpilot

Wed May 18, 2016 6:30 pm

Quoting seabosdca (Reply 43):
The most productive way to handle the Seattle pride parade would have been to sponsor it, ensure that no AS logos were on official parade publicity materials, show up with a large employee contingent and maybe a fun ramp toy or two, and then let the AS employee group march as usual.

If you have read the Seattle Times article and Delta's official response you would know that Delta isn't limiting anything the Seattle Pride organization is.

Quoting seabosdca (Reply 43):
The most productive response to the QR event at the Fox would have been to have a private talk with the Fox management to put them on notice. I doubt it even occurred to the management that a non-exclusive sponsor would drop them over accepting a private paid engagement from the sponsor's competition.

Let me preface this with I am legitimately curious not trying to argue. How do we know this isn't what happened. Delta has a private conversation, and chooses to not renew the agreement and Fox Theatre tells the media and Delta just being honest reluctantly confirms the story? After all, it isn't something that Delta would likely go back on when the media found out regardless, and if Delta isn't going to change their stance in public there is no better alternative than being honest and let the chips fall.

After reading Atlanta Business Chronicle Article, it seems that Fox is more than just a little upset by delta not renewing their sponsorship.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/m...atre-sponsorship-due-to-rival.html
One mile of highway gets you one mile, one mile of runway gets you anywhere.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos