dfwjim1
Topic Author

AA, ANC To MIA - Ever Flown?

Wed May 18, 2016 12:54 pm

I am flying to Alaska this week from FLL via CLT and SEA on American but I am curious as to whether or not A.A. ever flew
from MIA to ANC nonstop especially during the Alaska tourist season. I did some research on my own but could not
find an answer to my question.

Thanks for your responses.

badgervor

RE: AA, ANC To MIA - Ever Flown?

Wed May 18, 2016 1:12 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe AA has ever had any wide body scheduled service to ANC. So assuming a 757 would be used, MIA-ANC is just over 4000 mi via great circle map. AFAIK this is farther than any 757 route across the Atlantic. In short, I do not think AA ever did this route

[Edited 2016-05-18 06:13:35]

TWA902fly

Wed May 18, 2016 1:56 pm

I don't believe AA has flown MIA-ANC nonstop, and with good reason. Every single US airline hub is between ANC and MIA, connection opportunities are endless. Also it is my understanding that most Alaskans go to Hawaii in search of a beach vacation, which is much closer and has a plentiful amount of service from AS. ANC-MIA is 4004 miles, which is a distance longer than ORD-LHR, that would be a long thin route to dedicate a 757/767 to.

'902
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

eal

Wed May 18, 2016 2:17 pm

Quoting TWA902fly (Reply 2):
Hawaii in search of a beach vacation, which is much closer and has a plentiful amount of service from AS

He's referring to people from Miami visiting Alaska for the tourist season. And although I know many people that have gone to Alaska for a summer cruise they've all gone through YVR, SEA or ORD. AA never operated a nonstop MIA-ANC, the closest they get is MIA-SEA.

ckfred

Wed May 18, 2016 2:31 pm

Years ago, AA and AS used to fly interline service between ANC and DFW via SEA. AA and AS 727s were used, with AS crews flying ANC-SEA, and AA crews flying SEA-DFW.

I don't think AA and AS every had interline service between ANC and MIA.

seabosdca

Wed May 18, 2016 4:06 pm

Anchorage is not a big city. It's very difficult for it to support such long routes based on its own O&D passenger traffic. Historically, much of its traffic consists of TPAC cargo flights making fuel stops (and, before the advent of modern long-haul airliners, passenger flights as well).

An international-configuration 757 could fly the route most of the time but occasionally would have to either block seats or take a fuel stop, probably at ORD. Most domestic-configured birds don't have the highest MTOW option, which would be needed.

[Edited 2016-05-18 09:07:28]

superjeff

Wed May 18, 2016 4:34 pm

Quoting ckfred (Reply 4):
Years ago, AA and AS used to fly interline service between ANC and DFW via SEA. AA and AS 727s were used, with AS crews flying ANC-SEA, and AA crews flying SEA-DFW.

I don't think AA and AS every had interline service between ANC and MIA.

That flight actually started as an interchange between Alaska and Braniff - operated IAH-DFW-SEA-ANC-FAI, with 72S equipment. During the summer, when Alaska needed the capacity, they used a Braniff airplane. During the winter, they used an Alaska airplane. Same when Alaska and American ran the flight. I remember flying the SEA-DFW and DFW-IAH segments, and felt the Alaska airplane's configuration was much more comfortable than American's.

jeff

Western727

Wed May 18, 2016 7:06 pm

Quoting superjeff (Reply 6):
IAH-DFW-SEA-ANC-FAI, with 72S equipment

I recall flying on N305AS on a redeye SEA-DFW segment in August 1993. I recall the flight vividly because it was my first flight to college in DC, so it was obviously a big deal for me personally. It was a neat experience to see AA cabin crews and AA's inflight mag and safety placards onboard, after years of flying in/out of SEA on the same AS 72S fleet.

Likewise, it was neat to see the sole AS 72S at DFW's terminal C amid all the silver jets (M80s, 72S, 752, 762/3 and D10). It was a sentimental experience, almost as if the hometown-based AS 72S was a living thing "wishing me well" at college as I changed to an AA M80 for the flight to DCA. I've even got a photo of 305 parked at DFW stashed in my college memoirs.
Jack @ AUS

KFLLCFII

Wed May 18, 2016 7:43 pm

Quoting dfwjim1 (Thread starter):
I am flying to Alaska this week from FLL via CLT and SEA on American but I am curious as to whether or not A.A. ever flew from MIA to ANC nonstop especially during the Alaska tourist season. I did some research on my own but could not find an answer to my question.

Thanks for your responses.

I flew a one-stop FLL-PHX-ANC trip last year on a legacy-US award ticket & route, but I seem to recall reading that AA recently did away with one of those segments, making it no longer possible.

Sorry to hear about the extra CLT stop.
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

SurfandSnow

Wed May 18, 2016 8:15 pm

AA has never been a strong player in the Alaska market and certainly never offered any nonstop MIA-ANC service. They've offered summer seasonal DFW-ANC on 757s for many years, and they've unsuccessfully attempted summer seasonal ORD-ANC several times (also with 757s). The STL-ANC service they inherited from TW didn't last long, while the PHX-ANC service that HP/US operated year round for years was recently reduced to summer seasonal service. AA added seasonal daily LAX-ANC flights (operated by A319s) as part of its big LAX expansion - will be interesting to see if the service lasts.
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

dfwjim1
Topic Author

Wed May 18, 2016 9:03 pm

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 8):

Yes, AA is cancelling or has cancelled the morning FLL - PHX departure. When my wife and I purchased our tickets last year
our routing was FLL - ORD - SEA - ANC but AA cancelled the early morning FLL - ORD departure after we purchased our tickets.
AA changed our routing to FLL - CLT - SEA - ANC with an afternoon departure from FLL and a 2 AM arrival in ANC without telling
us. Fortunately my wife was checking the tickets and noticed the changes. We called AA and they put us on an early morning
departure from FLL with a later afternoon arrival in ANC. Worked better for us as we will be on the same plane from FLL-CLT-SEA
and will be arriving in ANC an hour earlier then what was on our original flight plan.

Lots of flying but I don't mind that!

BoeingGuy

Wed May 18, 2016 9:47 pm

To my knowledge, pmAA has only ever served DFW, SEA, and STL from ANC non-stop. Don't recall if they've done ORD or not. They are starting LAX soon, and have PHX from US.

DFW has always been a seasonal-only 757. SEA was on an MD-80 inherited from QQ. That didn't last long. Likewise, we can all guess how they got STL-ANC. That didn't last long either.

Western727

Wed May 18, 2016 9:53 pm

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 11):
Don't recall if they've done ORD or not.

Curious, I checked the photo database, and there are 3 photos showing AA 752s at ANC on flights to/from ORD. The dates listed are during the summer months in 2004, 2005 and 2010.
Jack @ AUS

KFLLCFII

Wed May 18, 2016 10:22 pm

Quoting dfwjim1 (Reply 10):
When my wife and I purchased our tickets last year
our routing was FLL - ORD - SEA - ANC but AA cancelled the early morning FLL - ORD departure after we purchased our tickets. AA changed our routing to FLL - CLT - SEA - ANC with an afternoon departure from FLL and a 2 AM arrival in ANC without telling us. Fortunately my wife was checking the tickets and noticed the changes.

They pulled similar crap on me THREE times over a period of three months, changing departure/arrival times and routings without so much as an automated email. The first time I similarly noticed it upon checking the reservation like your wife, and thereafter I made it a point to check it again about once a week before the trip...Twice more they ended up changing it without even an email. Each time I had to call, and each time they chalked up the changes to the US/AA merger (which I don't believe was unreasonable...system-wide changes are understandably part of the merger process). What I did feel was unreasonable and unacceptable, however, was the lack of any attempt to advise me that changes were made.

Was that the fault of pre-merger US, or post-merger AA? I'll never know, but I do know this: That single-handedly could have cost my family a once-in-a-lifetime trip, and for that, AA is now my last-resort¹ domestic airline.

¹Allegiant is not considered...They are on the "no-resort" list.
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

Wingtips56

Wed May 18, 2016 10:26 pm

Quoting BoeingGuy (Reply 11):
SEA was on an MD-80 inherited from QQ.

Initially, in 1987, AA inherited SEA-ANC from AirCal, on the 737-200QC. And no, that didn't last long either. But it had made money for OC.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

slcdeltarumd11

Thu May 19, 2016 3:35 am

This would be too far for a 757, you'd need a 767. For comparison sake from the Northeast to Europe examples We are talking 550 miles more then EWR-LHR for example. Thats alot of miles! . Its just too far beyond the reality that even if it were in range there are SO many hubs your flying over, makes no sense. Its a leisure route that is surely very fare sensitive. AA has never flown this regularly scheduled

TWA902fly

Thu May 19, 2016 8:30 am

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 13):
They pulled similar crap on me THREE times over a period of three months, changing departure/arrival times and routings without so much as an automated email. The first time I similarly noticed it upon checking the reservation like your wife, and thereafter I made it a point to check it again about once a week before the trip...Twice more they ended up changing it without even an email. Each time I had to call, and each time they chalked up the changes to the US/AA merger (which I don't believe was unreasonable...system-wide changes are understandably part of the merger process). What I did feel was unreasonable and unacceptable, however, was the lack of any attempt to advise me that changes were made.

The last time this happened to me was actually with AS. I went to select a seat about 1 month prior to my travel date... the original itinerary was...

HNL-BLI-SEA-DEN (departing HNL at 11:55PM).

Without telling me, they changed me to a 6:35AM departure HNL-PDX-DEN, shortening my stay in Hawaii by a day...

Obviously I wasn't okay with this as I had things to do in HNL that last day, so after 45 minutes on the phone the only redeye they could put me on was HNL-ANC-SEA-DEN. It was a long trip, but there was something special about flying from Hawaii to Alaska  .

Anyways, if it wasn't for me checking on my seat selection, I'm not sure what they would have done with me if I showed up for my non-existent flight.

Airlines really have to get on top of this!

'902
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

einsteinboricua

Thu May 19, 2016 11:49 am

Each time I had to call, and each time they chalked up the changes to the US/AA merger (which I don't believe was unreasonable...system-wide changes are understandably part of the merger process).

I'm not sure the merger process is solely to blame altogether.

I bought tickets from STL to SJU for Xmas last year with US. Booked since May. Even before they officially became one, US always kept me informed. I also had a flight to PVD shortly after the merger was finalized. On both occasions the schedule changed and I was never kept informed of what was going on. After a schedule change on the PVD flight left me stranded at CLT for another hour, I decided to check up the SJU reservation. It turns out that US/AA had changed my departure time from 8am to 6:30am. Granted, I was gonna arrive to SJU 2 hours earlier (2:30pm vs 4:55pm), but I wasn't taking into account that I would have had to wake up earlier and make more arrangements to get to the airport (I was moving at the time so I wasn't gonna use my car). What if I hadn't checked the reservation beforehand?

No email ever got to me before or after the merger was finalized.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

N628AU

Thu May 19, 2016 10:08 pm

Quoting dfwjim1 (Reply 10):
When my wife and I purchased our tickets last year
our routing was FLL - ORD - SEA - ANC but AA cancelled the early morning FLL - ORD departure after we purchased our tickets. AA changed our routing to FLL - CLT - SEA - ANC with an afternoon departure from FLL and a 2 AM arrival in ANC without telling us. Fortunately my wife was checking the tickets and noticed the changes.

They pulled similar crap on me THREE times over a period of three months, changing departure/arrival times and routings without so much as an automated email. The first time I similarly noticed it upon checking the reservation like

DL find this to me on my honeymoon. Originally booked OGG-ATL-HSV with the first leg a red eye. They stopped that leg and booked us OGG-SLC (red eye) - ATL-HSV. Added almost a day of travel, our 8AM scheduled arrival became 4PM. Then ATL developed storms in the afternoon and ground stopped. Got home about 2AM and the only bag that connected were my golf clubs, the last thing I needed after checkin out of the hotel at 10AM Hawaii time on departure day. The bags showed up 24 hours later soaking wet from sitting out in the rain on the ATL ramp all day in the storms.

This kind of thing happens all the time with all carriers, happens most of the time when you boom way in advance when schedules are place holders.

aussie747

Thu May 19, 2016 11:53 pm

I did ANC-ORD-DCA on AA in Aug of 2007. It operated as a red eye service.

SEAtown

Fri May 20, 2016 3:46 am

Would AS be able to do an ANC-JFK with the 737MAX?
"When you go out to battle against your enemies and see horses and chariots and people more numerous than you, do not be afraid of them; for the LORD your God is with you." Deuteronomy 20:1

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos