Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

catiii
Topic Author

DL Ends Fox Theater Sponsorship Over QR

Wed May 18, 2016 4:58 pm

I really thought this level of immaturity would go away when RA retired. Guess not. First the Seattle Gay Pride bs with Alaska, and now this: http://airport.blog.ajc.com/2016/05/...over-qatar-airways-event-with-jlo/

Miami

RE: DL Ends Fox Theater Sponsorship Over QR

Wed May 18, 2016 5:06 pm

Delta needs to grow up. Holy cow..
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

tortugamon

Wed May 18, 2016 5:30 pm

Being discussed here:

AFA Urges JLo To Cancel ATL Concert For QR (by enilria May 17 2016 in Civil Aviation)

Although it would be great if that thread title was changed slightly to reflect that.

tortugamon

Sightseer

Wed May 18, 2016 5:38 pm

If this is what they're doing over QR, imagine what'll happen when EK shows up. Although I guess Jennifer Aniston won't be doing concerts anytime soon.

BMI727

Thu May 19, 2016 12:14 am

I don't agree with all of Delta's stances, hell I don't know if I agree with any of them but kudos to them for making sure they get what they want for their money and being willing to walk.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

ripcordd

Thu May 19, 2016 12:17 am

how long before QR goes 2x 380 to MSP/DTW/ATL/SLC/SEA now I know I would if I didn't care about profits and have some deep pockets just to piss off DL

delimit

Thu May 19, 2016 12:30 am

Quoting catiii (Thread starter):
First the Seattle Gay Pride bs

Which, of course, isn't actually bs, but hey why fact check?

Quoting ripcordd (Reply 5):
how long before QR goes 2x 380 to MSP/DTW/ATL/SLC/SEA now I know I would if I didn't care about profits and have some deep pockets just to piss off DL

Delta would love it. The ability of QR to sustain those kinds of loses would be fantastic ammunition in their subsidization claims.

hz747300

Thu May 19, 2016 12:34 am

Quoting ripcordd (Reply 5):

Don't they only have 4 A380s??? They could some of the early SQ & EK retirements though. If they did do this, it would really bring down fares!
Keep on truckin'...

enilria

Thu May 19, 2016 1:30 am

Quoting tortugamon (Reply 2):
Being discussed here:

AFA Urges JLo To Cancel ATL Concert For QR (by enilria May 17 2016 in Civil Aviation)

Although it would be great if that thread title was changed slightly to reflect that.

Fine with me!

IndianicWorld

Thu May 19, 2016 1:52 am

The moves being made by DL sound like a carrier that is running scared and intent on trying to push its agenda at all costs.

Try competing DL and stop the endless PR battle.

IPFreely

Thu May 19, 2016 1:53 am

Quoting Miami (Reply 1):

Delta needs to grow up. Holy cow..

It would be nice if Delta's management team would focus on fixing their underperforming and dysfunctional Delta Connection operation instead of worrying about piddly stuff like this.

eta unknown

Thu May 19, 2016 2:04 am

I'm guessing QR will now take over sponsorship of the Fox lol!!!

I loved the article comment that the theatre sponsorship manager should have been all over this- as if that position is informed of all the one off private function rentals.

catiii
Topic Author

Thu May 19, 2016 2:07 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 4):

I don't agree with all of Delta's stances, hell I don't know if I agree with any of them but kudos to them for making sure they get what they want for their money and being willing to walk.

JetBlue did a corporate event at a Mets game at Citi Field. Delta doesn't have the balls to tell the Mets they're walking. It's different pushing a theater around.

Quoting delimit (Reply 6):

Because pushing the parade organizers to force Alaska Air employees to not have any Alaska paraphanelia on is, indeed, bs. And they'll say they didn't do it but with their track record they,likely did. But hey, why fact check:

http://www.kiro7.com/news/local/riva...ines-out-of-pride-parade/291565520

Glad the parade organizers finally caved.

[Edited 2016-05-18 19:09:04]

rwsea

Thu May 19, 2016 2:11 am

Quoting delimit (Reply 6):

I consider a news article from the major newspaper of record in Seattle quoting the director of the parade to be a credible source. They accurately reported the quote from the director of the parade. It was he who misspoke and he has since retracted.

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 9):
The moves being made by DL sound like a carrier that is running scared and intent on trying to push its agenda at all costs.

Try competing DL and stop the endless PR battle.

DL is no longer a bankrupt carrier on the verge of collapse. They're now one of, if not the, most profitable carriers in history. Wish they could "keep climbing" above this petty nonsense and simply keep focusing on what they do best. Their over-aggressive stance in almost everything these days is really starting to wear thin (this, constant bashing of ME3, overaggressive stance in foreign route authority applications, whining about HND, etc. etc. etc.).

delimit

Thu May 19, 2016 11:40 am

Quoting catiii (Reply 12):
Because pushing the parade organizers to force Alaska Air employees to not have any Alaska paraphanelia on is, indeed, bs. And they'll say they didn't do it but with their track record they,likely did. But hey, why fact check:

Pushing the parade organizers? Got a source for that? Reread the articles about the issue. Particularly the end of the article you just linked. You seem to have missed some key facts.

xdlx

Thu May 19, 2016 1:08 pm

Egos ruffled at Virginia AV? ...... What a pitty

enilria

Thu May 19, 2016 2:03 pm

http://www.kiro7.com/news/local/riva...ines-out-of-pride-parade/291565520

Glad the parade organizers finally caved.
Quoting delimit (Reply 14):

Pushing the parade organizers? Got a source for that? Reread the articles about the issue. Particularly the end of the article you just linked. You seem to have missed some key facts.

Regardless of what actually happened, DL is paying the parade the money. The parade people are NEVER going to publicly blame the people paying them money in an official statement, and frankly Delta is smart enough to put a non-disparagement clause in a marketing contract which might even include damages if they did make negative statements to the press blaming Delta about anything. So, we really don't know what happened there as we would see the same public response with the parade taking responsibility regardless of whether they were at fault or not.

catiii
Topic Author

Thu May 19, 2016 3:40 pm

Quoting delimit (Reply 14):

I don't need a source. They tried (and failed) to do the same thing to JetBlue when we marched in the NYC Pride Parade last year. Fortunately those parade organizers had a little more backbone and told them no, they weren't stopping us from wearing our JetBlue swag. Of course they did the same thing in SEA. It would be the height of naivete to think they didn't, and thet the parade organizers came up with this on their own.

[Edited 2016-05-19 08:40:51]

Lufthansa

Thu May 19, 2016 4:50 pm

You know DL missed an opportunity here.

They could have insisted on their branding being displayed all around the building.
QR wouldn't have liked that!

global1

Thu May 19, 2016 5:42 pm

I think it was a poor move, obviously, on the part of the Fox Theater.

Delta was a sponsor and their official airline. Their stance on the ME3, and QR in particular, is quite well known and publicized. You'd have to have been under a rock for the last 3 years to not be aware of it.
If Fox Theater management had run this event by Delta, they would have foreseen the possible consequences.
Was this one event worth it for them? I think not.

Atlanta corporations tend to be a pretty close knit bunch. It's akin to hosting a Pepsi event at the World of Coca Cola.

I find it curious that some on here are so critical of Delta's "aggressiveness" yet forget about the likes of Robert Crandal. He would eat his young for lunch, yet later recognized as an industry visionary leading AA's golden age. Even the labor unions were pleading for him to return.

Delta changes the structure of the Skymiles program to revenue based, gets trashed on Anet, and shortly UA and AA follow.

Delta introduces the concept of Basic Economy fares to compete with the likes of Spirit and Frontier, gets trashed on Anet, now it appears UA and AA will follow shortly, etc, etc.....

[Edited 2016-05-19 10:52:27]

[Edited 2016-05-19 10:53:53]

enilria

Thu May 19, 2016 6:06 pm

Quoting global1 (Reply 19):

I think it was a poor move, obviously, on the part of the Fox Theater.

So, what you are saying is that a business should have the right to deny service to another business based upon their religious and cultural beliefs? Hmm...

global1

Thu May 19, 2016 6:14 pm

Don't put words in my mouth. You're the one that's bringing up "religious and cultural beliefs". I said nothing of the kind.

The Fox Theater has the right to host any event they want, but given the business sensitivity (not religious or cultural) of this one event involving a sponsor of theirs, it was not a smart move.

Next thing you'll be labeling Delta as the Anti-Christ.

[Edited 2016-05-19 11:18:36]

reltney

Thu May 19, 2016 6:32 pm

Good on Delta. American companies need to support each other. About time someone has stood for something. Being PC is eroding the morals and ethics in this country. Fight for what's right and be proud of what you stand for.

Fox theater was clearly wrong by not advising Delta prior to the agreement. That is without question.

Now the bad side.... Will this crap ever stop... I see fallout lasting for a while.

Flame away flamers!

Cheers
Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...

delimit

Thu May 19, 2016 10:50 pm

Quoting catiii (Reply 17):
I don't need a source. They tried (and failed) to do the same thing to JetBlue when we marched in the NYC Pride Parade last year. Fortunately those parade organizers had a little more backbone and told them no, they weren't stopping us from wearing our JetBlue swag. Of course they did the same thing in SEA. It would be the height of naivete to think they didn't, and thet the parade organizers came up with this on their own.

Proof please. A similar news article would work.

Quoting catiii (Reply 17):
Of course they did the same thing in SEA. It would be the height of naivete to think they didn't, and thet the parade organizers came up with this on their own.

Soi Delta and the parade are lying to the press then.
http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-...resident-of-seattle-pride-resigns/

psa188

Fri May 20, 2016 8:26 pm

The fox theater people said it best:
Hosting a private function for Qatar Airways “was in no way a violation of our contractual agreement with Delta,” according to the Fox. “As we are not in tune with the industry politics of our sponsors, we are disheartened to learn that Delta has chosen to penalize the Fox Theatre for our decision to rent the venue to another airline.”

Way to act childish, Delta.
http://airport.blog.ajc.com/2016/05/...over-qatar-airways-event-with-jlo/

Flighty

Fri May 20, 2016 8:42 pm

This is a pattern of behavioral problems by Delta. Regulators, investor analysts already take this into account. Nothing new.

dlflynhayn

Sat May 21, 2016 12:18 am

Quoting psa188 (Reply 24):
Way to act childish, Delta.
Quoting Flighty (Reply 25):
This is a pattern of behavioral problems by Delta

This is funny i can't stop laughing   ..Behavioral problems hahaha..Great job Delta and i bet Fox is the one regretting what they did not Delta.

PlanesNTrains

Sat May 21, 2016 4:19 am

Quoting delimit (Reply 23):
Proof please. A similar news article would work.

Not everything is in the news.

Quoting Flighty (Reply 25):
This is a pattern of behavioral problems by Delta. Regulators, investor analysts already take this into account. Nothing new.

They certainly can give off an aggressive, my way or the highway vibe. Not saying that's good or bad, but it's not a revelation by any stretch.

Quoting psa188 (Reply 24):
The fox theater people said it best:
Hosting a private function for Qatar Airways “was in no way a violation of our contractual agreement with Delta,” according to the Fox. “As we are not in tune with the industry politics of our sponsors, we are disheartened to learn that Delta has chosen to penalize the Fox Theatre for our decision to rent the venue to another airline.”

It doesn't matter if it violated a contract as Delta isn't saying that it did. They are choosing not to renew the contract, which is certainly their right.

What grounds should Fox have given QR for denying them (had they done so)? i suppose they can just say "Sorry - all full' and leave it at that. Not sure if that's good business but neither is losing a big sponsor. Maybe Coke, UPS, or someone else will step up with some $$.

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

caetravlr

Sat May 21, 2016 11:37 am

Seems an excellent opportunity for QR to score some points int he ATL area. There is a wide open sponsorship slot available for the Fox Theater now.  
A woman drove me to drink and I didn't have the decency to thank her. - W.C. Fields

chrisnh

Sat May 21, 2016 11:56 am

I'm wondering whether the ATL fire brigade will be 'pressured' as a show of solidarity to DL NOT to do the ceremonial water salute. THAT would be the height of immaturity, and anyone who thinks the chances of that happening are 'zero' hasn't been paying attention.

Armodeen

Sat May 21, 2016 11:57 am

Delta needs to tighten up the big boy pants and grow up.

psa188

Sat May 21, 2016 4:23 pm

Quoting caetravlr (Reply 28):
It doesn't matter if it violated a contract as Delta isn't saying that it did. They are choosing not to renew the contract, which is certainly their right.

You're correct, it is DL's right not to renew the arrangement with the Fox. But, regarding the way DL conducted themselves, the optics are terrible.

They just assumed that the Fox event planner was up to speed with DL's catfight with Qatar airways. In the real world. Fox staff is probably not made up of a.net forum readers so they probably had no idea of the hornet's nest they were walking into.

What DL should have done was to quietly hold a private meeting with Fox staff to express displeasure. Then, if they felt it was necessary, let the contract quietly lapse upon expiration. But making a big public fuss about it just makes DL come across as big bullies.

caetravlr

Sat May 21, 2016 4:35 pm

Quoting psa188 (Reply 31):

Somehow PlanesNTrains text got attributed to me, but it wasn't my comment.  

That being said, I agree with both the quoted text and your response. As an already disgruntled frequent flyer, these types of moves are not making me want to fly the competition any less.
A woman drove me to drink and I didn't have the decency to thank her. - W.C. Fields

Flighty

Sat May 21, 2016 5:07 pm

Quoting psa188 (Reply 31):
But, regarding the way DL conducted themselves, the optics are terrible.

Exactly, just ask yourself, would you want to do business with Delta, yes or no...

Does the government believe anything Delta says, or does it (correctly) interpret it as the vainglorious PR that it is...

And I like Delta and they are a great, successful airline... all the more reason I won't cut them slack.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos