Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

hiflyeras

RE: Delta Bans AS From Seattle Pride

Thu May 19, 2016 12:08 am

Quoting tzfalax (Reply 24):
Based on the above quote from the Seattle Times by Seattle Pride Parade spokesperson, it seems there was a communication that no Alaska logos could be visible. I'm sure this was spelled out in any contract that Delta signed. Its not clear whether or not it was a Delta request or not. Either way, I can't image the legal team at Delta would have signed off on a contract without reading and understanding the entire thing. What seems to have happened, Delta agreed to the terms, but in response to public response and perception has rethought and has now released a press release to try and save face.

Exactly. Lots of backpedaling going on today by Delta and Seattle Pride Parade organizers.

Quoting delimit (Reply 42):
The parade offered Delta an exclusivity agreement and Delta accepted; but now Delta is at fault for agreeing to it? Ok...

Which is why it's shame on the Seattle Pride organization. People are calling for their removal from being the parade organizer. They're a non-profit...I imagine we'll be seeing the books soon. Did their BOD receive any gain from this transaction from Delta? Seems AS was not allowed to counter-offer any sponsorship agreement.

delimit

Thu May 19, 2016 12:23 am

Quoting HiflyerAS (Reply 50):

Which is why it's shame on the Seattle Pride organization. People are calling for their removal from being the parade organizer. They're a non-profit...I imagine we'll be seeing the books soon. Did their BOD receive any gain from this transaction from Delta? Seems AS was not allowed to counter-offer any sponsorship agreement.

Exclusivity by market segment in sponsorship is so common it is ridiculous. The fact that people are implying there may have been payoffs is absurd. And of course they aren't being allowed to counteroffer. An exclusivity deal was offered. Someone accepted. Allowing competitors to negotiate after signing a contract would be hugely unethical.

[Edited 2016-05-18 18:23:35]

nikeherc

Thu May 19, 2016 12:48 am

Quoting a380787 (Reply 27):
Quoting ASFlyer (Reply 31):
all, if I did have access to those contracts (which I don't, and I'm sure you know that) I wouldn't be posting them on Airliners.net for your perusal. That's ridiculous.

In other words, you're free to make whatever statements you want to, without backing them up, or even knowing if they are accurate.

In fact you are free to do so, just don't expect me to put any credence in them.
DC6 to 777 and most things in between

aeroblogger

Thu May 19, 2016 1:30 am

Just because Seattle Pride offered DL an exclusive sponsorship, it doesn't mean that DL had to take it. It would have been smarter on DL's part to take a smaller sponsorship and allow AS to also sponsor the event.

Now, AS got good publicity about being the victim of DL's heavy-handed tactics, and AS will get good publicity when its employees flood the event now that DL has backtracked.
#AvGeek

mayor

Thu May 19, 2016 1:34 am

Quoting a380787 (Reply 35):

You should be using metro to metro comparisons, not city to city comparisons (which we all know are meaningless in the US context). The 3rd highest rank you've referenced about ATL is city limits, which isn't useful.

Sounds like it isn't useful to YOU, if it doesn't fit YOUR argument.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

cokepopper

Thu May 19, 2016 1:39 am

http://www.kiro7.com/news/local/airlines-pride-parade-/291565520

Can we put this story to sleep already?

In light of the recent press I would like to clear the air and state I misinterpreted the contractual obligations set in place for Delta Airlines and I wish to retract my statements made to the Alaska Airline Corporation with regards to participation in the 2016 Seattle Pride Parade. It was not my intention to exclude any groups or individuals, regardless of their company loyalties, employer, and group associations. While our sponsors allow us to produce a quality Pride Parade each year, I misunderstood the terms of one of these sponsorships and misrepresented that contract. I apologize for my miscommunication and any hurt feelings I caused. As always, Seattle Pride stands for inclusiveness and the celebration of all the diversity within our community. As the representatives of the Seattle Pride Board have stated, it is our goal for all members of our community to participate in the Pride Parade, and we will continue to work toward that goal. I sincerely hope GLOBE and Alaska Airlines will accept our invitation to proudly march in the parade, wearing whatever they wish, just as they have always done in the past." - Eric Bennett, President, Seattle Pride

delimit

Thu May 19, 2016 1:41 am

Quoting aeroblogger (Reply 54):
Now, AS got good publicity about being the victim of DL's heavy-handed tactics, and AS will get good publicity when its employees flood the event now that DL has backtracked.

Delta didn't backtrack, now were they in any way heavyhanded. The AS group was told they couldn't wear their uniforms by the parade organizer, not Delta.

Quote:
“We can’t have them promoting Alaska Airlines when Delta bought the category sponsorship,” said Colin Bishop, a public-relations spokesperson for the Seattle Pride Parade.

It would be nice if people got their facts straight before forming opinions.

[Edited 2016-05-18 18:43:25]

delimit

Thu May 19, 2016 1:46 am

Quoting cokepopper (Reply 56):
http://www.kiro7.com/news/local/airlines-pride-parade-/291565520

From the same article:

Quote:
One of the parties caught in the middle of the controversy is the new sponsor, Delta Airlines.

People have attacked Delta online - blaming it for the decision. But Delta says it was not part of the decision -- and did not know anything about it until a reporter called.

airtechy

Thu May 19, 2016 1:56 am

Quoting delimit (Reply 57):

It would be nice if people got their facts straight before forming opinions

Even better. It would be nice if people got their facts straight before POSTING opinions.  

rbavfan

Thu May 19, 2016 2:04 am

Pride & Delta say Alaska can march now in employee or Alaska shirts. I may still go now. If I still do Im king to buy Alaska Airlines logo'ed shirts and march & attend Pride in them.

rbavfan

Thu May 19, 2016 2:11 am

Quoting delimit (Reply 57):

Pride noted that Delta negotiated the terms. I hope now that they are allowed back that Alaska does the biggest F'n float in the parade. Also I'm so sick of Delta being the Big Bully. Between JLo, Alaska Airlines and the whole ME3 thing I'm done with Delta. Just sent in a sell order for my stock!

usdcaguy

Thu May 19, 2016 2:18 am

Quoting aeroblogger (Reply 54):
Just because Seattle Pride offered DL an exclusive sponsorship, it doesn't mean that DL had to take it. It would have been smarter on DL's part to take a smaller sponsorship and allow AS to also sponsor the event.

These days, corporate sponsorships are almost required to have an event the size of Pride. The main problem, from what I know about pride events, is the police. In some cities, you are required to pay for the police presence at the parade and at the festival, and this can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. This is partly what created all these pride sponsorships; they were a way for the organizers to cover the costs of putting on the event. DL apparently took advantage of a exclusive sponsorship package offered by Seattle Pride, which is par for the course in this day and age if you are the underdog in a new market. They owe nothing to AS. I personally don't support corporate sponsorships of a tradition that was originally started by a bunch of gay men and lesbians celebrating their sexuality and demanding their civil rights, but Pride has become so special and vital to everyone that they demand you make it big, and that requires a lot of money.

mayor

Thu May 19, 2016 2:26 am

Quoting rbavfan (Reply 61):
Pride noted that Delta negotiated the terms. I hope now that they are allowed back that Alaska does the biggest F'n float in the parade. Also I'm so sick of Delta being the Big Bully. Between JLo, Alaska Airlines and the whole ME3 thing I'm done with Delta. Just sent in a sell order for my stock!

I'm sure they're shaking in their boots.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

Sightseer

Thu May 19, 2016 2:36 am

Can we put this story to sleep already?

Tell me about it.

Quoting Sightseer (Reply 19):
So this thread can be closed now, right?

Delta and Seattle Pride have what appears to be a bog standard sponsorship agreement. There is nothing I have seen that indicates otherwise.

rbavfan

Thu May 19, 2016 3:00 am

Quoting HALFA (Reply 11):

Nice press release after the fact. If Delta wants to prove it then release the un-redacted contract agreement and show that they had never requested or expected that! As is it looks like Delta is now doing damage control.

rbavfan

Thu May 19, 2016 3:10 am

Quoting alfa164 (Reply 14):
Apparently, prior to this year, they had closed the same deal with Alaska Airlines. It wasn't shameful then, nor is it shameful now.

Not true. Alaska had sponsored in the past & BOTH Delta & Alaska were able to & did participate in the parade in uniform or Shirts with logo's & Both were allowed to have booths with their LOGO's visible and had out advertisement (i.e.. literature) about what they do.

So no Delta wants to block Alaska from fully participating in exchange for sponsoring an event that all inclusive. Shame on them.

Only after it hit the news and it was bad press did Delta do the "Oh people misunderstood, they can participate" backtracking. I guess Delta management should run for political office!

rbavfan

Thu May 19, 2016 3:15 am

Quoting bobnwa (Reply 39):
Did you read the posting that Delta says it said no such thing? kind of blows your posting out of the water!!!

Did you notice how often Delta makes comments rebutting things they di. After the press got bad. After too many of these it looks like "If it quacks like a duck, it is a duck."

rbavfan

Thu May 19, 2016 3:17 am

Quoting alfa164 (Reply 48):
I do find it ironic, however, that a company based in the deep (can you say "redneck"?) South is the main sponsor of an LGBT event in the far northwest... but kudos to them for it - whatever their motives.

Has Delta been a sponsor of Atlanta's Pride events?

n7371f

Thu May 19, 2016 3:20 am

Quoting rbavfan (Reply 67):
Did you notice how often Delta makes comments rebutting things they di. After the press got bad. After too many of these it looks like "If it quacks like a duck, it is a duck."

Love how peeps like you can't be reasoned with.

President of Seattle Gay Pride 2 hours ago: In light of the recent press I would like to clear the air and state I misinterpreted the contractual obligations set in place for Delta Airlines and I wish to retract my statements made to the Alaska Airline Corporation with regards to participation in the 2016 Seattle Pride Parade. It was not my intention to exclude any groups or individuals, regardless of their company loyalties, employer, and group associations. While our sponsors allow us to produce a quality Pride Parade each year, I misunderstood the terms of one of these sponsorships and misrepresented that contract. I apologize for my miscommunication and any hurt feelings I caused

Moderator: change the headline to accurately reflect the real facts in this story - and to help the blood pressure of posters like above poster.

PlanesNTrains

Thu May 19, 2016 3:28 am

Quoting pjc747 (Reply 43):
Why is it necessary for an airline to engage in activism?

IMO, it's a form of marketing. Whether that is to their customers, their communities, their shareholders, or their employees - that's all in the eye of the beholder. Nothing wrong with it, but don't expect that every sponsorship is out of the goodness of their hearts. I'm sure some are.

Quoting aa777lvr (Reply 45):
DL is interested in supporting causes important to it's LGBT employees. If Alaska was more interested in supporting the LGBT community maybe it should have upped it's offer for sponsorship. (Spin).....was AS too cheap to offer more money for LGBT sponsorhip?

I think that's a pretty lame comment to make when they've clearly been a very active sponsor. DL - for obvious reasons - is being more aggressive in the Seattle marketplace. This is just one example. Nothing wrong with that, but it doesn't suddenly take away anything that Alaska has done (or perhaps tried to do in this case).

Quoting usdcaguy (Reply 62):
They owe nothing to AS.

There's something wrong - imho - if the attitude to someone like AS, who has clearly been an active participant, is "Sorry, foo. DL paid us more bank. Laterz." I'm quite certain that isn't the case, or at least hope it wouldn't be. However, if it really was the Seattle Pride organization that was essentially telling AS the limitations of their potential involvement, I'd think something is just wrong with the whole process. Inclusiveness? To the highest bidder, that is.

Quoting rbavfan (Reply 65):
Nice press release after the fact. If Delta wants to prove it then release the un-redacted contract agreement and show that they had never requested or expected that! As is it looks like Delta is now doing damage control.

Someone taught me that if you are going to lose, then lose early and lose gracefully. Friend, imho, you missed your opportunity.

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

hiflyeras

Thu May 19, 2016 3:29 am

Still waiting for this Seattle Pride person to post his apology publicly on the SeattlePride.org website. Until he does, I don't consider this over and done.

In light of the recent press I would like to clear the air and state I misinterpreted the contractual obligations set in place for Delta Airlines and I wish to retract my statements made to the Alaska Airline Corporation with regards to participation in the 2016 Seattle Pride Parade. It was not my intention to exclude any groups or individuals, regardless of their company loyalties, employer, and group associations. While our sponsors allow us to produce a quality Pride Parade each year, I misunderstood the terms of one of these sponsorships and misrepresented that contract. I apologize for my miscommunication and any hurt feelings I caused. As always, Seattle Pride stands for inclusiveness and the celebration of all the diversity within our community. As the representatives of the Seattle Pride Board have stated, it is our goal for all members of our community to participate in the Pride Parade, and we will continue to work toward that goal. I sincerely hope GLOBE and Alaska Airlines will accept our invitation to proudly march in the parade, wearing whatever they wish, just as they have always done in the past." - Eric Bennett, President, Seattle Pride

rbavfan

Thu May 19, 2016 3:35 am

Quoting mayor (Reply 63):

Really? Do you think I believe Delta cares if I sell it. I was just stating that their constant bully tactics have given me the choice of continuing a relationship with a company that does not meet my Business Ethics or dropping them. I am choosing to drop them. If they change their business ethics in the future I may come back, but it will take a lot of seeing them change to get me back as a customer or stockholder. Its sad to see a company I flew with for 38 years. After being introduced to their service by Shriners Hospitals. Seeing how they treated patients that flew to clinic & hospital visits with them I was a life long customer. Not anymore. I have plenty of choice who to fly with to most anywhere I have to go. If I have to fly to another city now to not fly with them so be it. If you can't understand what its like to see a company you've supported & recommended for years becoming something you no longer wish to participate in their choices. Then I would have to feel sorry for you & hope you care more about whats right than whats becoming the new business norm. Some of us remember respecting companies for what they did for their customers and employees as well as what they sold or did at all cost to e on top.

n7371f

Thu May 19, 2016 3:39 am

Quoting delimit (Reply 51):

Exclusivity by market segment in sponsorship is so common it is ridiculous. The fact that people are implying there may have been payoffs is absurd. And of course they aren't being allowed to counteroffer. An exclusivity deal was offered. Someone accepted. Allowing competitors to negotiate after signing a contract would be hugely unethical.

Exactly. If it were a big enough deal to AS, pay more money.

Which is why Alaska drop a wad of $12 million a year in the 11th hour with the Univ Washington to have exclusivity with all athletics marketing and the stadium and arena.

They only did it because their former CEO, now the head of UW Regents, found out an agreement in principal was made between UW and Delta and he went to Tilden & knowing all the financial details, AS was able to snatch up at last minute. Aggressive. Little sneaky? Yep. But it's okay if Alaska does something like that.

rbavfan

Thu May 19, 2016 3:42 am

Quoting n7371f (Reply 69):

I love how people like you believe everything a company or politician says after the press gets bad.

If you had not noticed this is a comment forum. i.e. opinions stated. I have debates all the time. Thats what the point of posting and communicating is for. I post an opinion & someone else post an opinion. We chat a while and come to a conclusion. Just because you do not agree with something I say does not mean I'm a person who cant be reasoned with. To state a such seems to lead to the one that cannot be reasoned with would be you, not me. Otherwise you would not use an attack statement to rebut me.

So right back at you attacking me personally. It shows who you are as a person.

n7371f

Thu May 19, 2016 3:44 am

Quoting HiflyerAS (Reply 71):
Still waiting for this Seattle Pride person to post his apology publicly on the SeattlePride.org website. Until he does, I don't consider this over and done.

The Board of Directors will be meeting and they will have a formal public statement. What you posted is a retraction letter to Seattle media.

But you go get 'em tiger.

rbavfan

Thu May 19, 2016 3:50 am

Quoting n7371f (Reply 75):

Yes someone that understands that it was a retraction to something. Now lets all see what both DL and Pride do to correct it all. I do believe both sides were at fault & hope it can be resolved. But it will still piss a lot of people off no matter what.

PlanesNTrains

Thu May 19, 2016 4:05 am

Quoting rbavfan (Reply 72):
If you can't understand what its like to see a company you've supported & recommended for years becoming something you no longer wish to participate in their choices

He lived through Ron Allen at Delta. He understands.

Quoting n7371f (Reply 73):
Little sneaky? Yep. But it's okay if Alaska does something like that.

1. UW is very different than Seattle Pride, imho.
2. Who said it wasn't sneaky on AS' part?
3. It probably didn't get the same play in the media, and frankly people probably didn't care. It's college sports - we expect money and deal making to be going on.

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

alfa164

Thu May 19, 2016 4:16 am

Quoting Airportugal310 (Reply 53):
Don't be a jackass for the sake of being a jackass I have access to every contract my company signs, but I'll be damned if you're ever going to see any of them posted on here just to prove your little point...
Quoting rbavfan (Reply 65):

But AirPortugal thinks you would be a jackass if you ask for that...   

Quoting rbavfan (Reply 66):
Not true. Alaska had sponsored in the past & BOTH Delta & Alaska were able to & did participate in the parade in uniform or Shirts with logo's & Both were allowed to have booths with their LOGO's visible and had out advertisement (i.e.. literature) about what they do.

Get your facts straight. According to the parade spokesman, nothing this year is different - except Delta is the sponsor and Alaska will participate independently. Just a reverse of previous years... much to the chagrin of the AS fanboys, I see.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

PlanesNTrains

Thu May 19, 2016 4:22 am

Quoting alfa164 (Reply 78):
much to the chagrin of A FEW AS fanboys, I see.

Fixed it for you.

-Dave
-Dave

mpdpilot

Thu May 19, 2016 4:26 am

I find it ironic that there are some who feel that this organization owes Alaska something because Alaska has been a long time sponsor. Yet Fox Theatre owes Delta nothing for being a long time sponsor. In the end, Seattle Pride and Fox Theatre are doing what is in their best interest and they happened to upset Alaska Airlines and Delta respectively.

I also find it ironic that there are some who will now chose to not fly Delta because of their actions towards members of the LGBT community, yet when Delta chooses not to support an organization that supports a company that they don't agree with it is petty. Now I don't know what your stance is on the Fox Theatre situation (I can guess but I don't know), I would say it is incredibly petty to sell the stock of an investment grade company simply because they are as you say it, being a bully, but potato patato.
One mile of highway gets you one mile, one mile of runway gets you anywhere.

mayor

Thu May 19, 2016 5:19 am

Quoting mayor (Reply 63):

Really? Do you think I believe Delta cares if I sell it. I was just stating that their constant bully tactics have given me the choice of continuing a relationship with a company that does not meet my Business Ethics or dropping them. I am choosing to drop them. If they change their business ethics in the future I may come back, but it will take a lot of seeing them change to get me back as a customer or stockholder. Its sad to see a company I flew with for 38 years. After being introduced to their service by Shriners Hospitals. Seeing how they treated patients that flew to clinic & hospital visits with them I was a life long customer. Not anymore. I have plenty of choice who to fly with to most anywhere I have to go. If I have to fly to another city now to not fly with them so be it. If you can't understand what its like to see a company you've supported & recommended for years becoming something you no longer wish to participate in their choices. Then I would have to feel sorry for you & hope you care more about whats right than whats becoming the new business norm. Some of us remember respecting companies for what they did for their customers and employees as well as what they sold or did at all cost to e on top.

"CONSTANT bully tactics" ? I'm willing that you can only name three and those are questionable.

BTW, Bubba, I supported them for the 33 1/2 years I worked for them and still do, today, almost 45 years after I hired on. If you want to see REAL bullying, read up on Bob Crandall's tactics at AA and yet people praise him.

Anyway, I'm guessing that I worked for them longer than you've supported them. Have a nice day.

mayor

Thu May 19, 2016 5:22 am

Moderators, I suggest that the title of this be changed, because, worded as it is, it is patently misleading and possibly false.

mjoelnir

Thu May 19, 2016 12:06 pm

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-...und-seattle-pride-parade-marchers/

I think the Seattle Times is a serious newspaper. If Gay Pride Seattle and Delta are now backtracking because of it either being declared a misinformation, a misinformation promoted in writing, or a change of heart after bad publicity I do not see how that changes the original information.

TomFoolery

Thu May 19, 2016 1:06 pm

From what I have read, the organizers have sold exclusive rights to Delta. Normally when an organized event sells exclusive rights to something, they are responsible for ensuring the rights are protected as a condition of the sale of exclusivity.

It seems from the article, these mandates came from the event organizers, and not Delta.

An exclusive sponsorship comes at a price premium to a co-sponsorship. The organizers opted for the $$$, and sold exclusive sponsorship to DL.

If anything, the event organizers shut the door on the local carrier through the exclusive agreement.

I can not speculate on past Pride events, as I am not privy to the details of the sponsorship agreement (co-sponsor/exclusive sponsor), but it seems that if Alaska Airlines had exclusive sponsorship agreement in place, they truly reached out and made a grand effort to be inclusive of their industry colleagues. Sadly, without more info, I can only speculate.

Tom
Paper makes an airplane fly

Osubuckeyes

Thu May 19, 2016 2:20 pm

It still boggles my mind that an exclusivity agreement can be sold for an event in the public domain legally.

a380787

Thu May 19, 2016 2:39 pm

Quoting mayor (Reply 55):

Sounds like it isn't useful to YOU, if it doesn't fit YOUR argument.

If we rank US strictly by city limits of the anchoring city, Houston would be #4, Phoenix would be #6, and SF can't even represent its own metro since the largest bay area city is actually San Jose. If that fits your argument then great.

Quoting Osubuckeyes (Reply 85):
It still boggles my mind that an exclusivity agreement can be sold for an event in the public domain legally.

Exclusive sponsorship in these events should mean within a certain industry, only the sponsor's materials can appear within official displays and official marketing material, but it has no right from preventing competitors from participation. That's where the current confusion come from.

If it's purely the Seattle Times mis-reporting and Pride/DL believe they did nothing wrong, all they need to do is ask the Times to retract the story and issue a clarification statement. The fact that both the Pride org president and DL had to swiftly issue PR statements afterwards is a somewhat clear indication that they felt the backlash.

And of course, the most humorous part of this thread is when a lawyer tried to ask others to post confidential contracts in a public forum.

usxguy

Thu May 19, 2016 3:40 pm

Well, what some of you don't *understand*, and I'm looking at you rbavfan, is that this is the first time they've offered ::: EXCLUSIVE ::: "official airline of.." to someone. It was at first offered to Alaska, but the price was too high... Delta bit.

I don't blame Delta one bit. I love Alaska, I was a 75K for 2 years (may actually make it this year)... and I also like Delta, they got me home on time last night and in fairly nice shape aircraft.

but competition *is* competition, and it appears some people jumped the gun before hearing the entire story. Delta was blindsided by this... and there are a LOT of gays up top at Delta, some who would be "in the know" , and they said they've NEVER restricted other airlines from participating in events they sponsor, especially things like the American Cancer Society Relay for Life (of which Delta is a :::: HUGE SPONSOR :::  yet other airlines always participate...
xx

alfa164

Thu May 19, 2016 3:58 pm

Quoting a380787 (Reply 86):
the most humorous part of this thread is when a lawyer tried to ask others to post confidential contracts in a public forum.

No, the most humorous part of this thread is when a non-lawyer assumes these are confidential contracts.

In general, these contracts are not confidential, and their terms and conditions are often disclosed without request in the parties' various financial filings and disclosures. Non-disclosure clauses may be included - or may be in a separate non-disclosure agreement - to provide protection for sensitive financial data, for instance, but these clauses are usually limited in scope.

The fact is a few posters like to bluster that they "know" facts which, in all likelihood, they do not know at all, but merely assume to be correct. That is the nature of A.net, I am afraid.

ASFlyer

Thu May 19, 2016 4:52 pm

Quoting alfa164 (Reply 87):
The fact is a few posters like to bluster that they "know" facts which, in all likelihood, they do not know at all, but merely assume to be correct. That is the nature of A.net, I am afraid.

You mean like this:

Quoting alfa164 (Reply 14):
That "shameful" deal looks like a commonly-accepted sponsorship agreement. Apparently, prior to this year, they had closed the same deal with Alaska Airlines. It wasn't shameful then, nor is it shameful now.

It looks like the story was a fabrication, written by someone with an axe to grind.

alfa164

Thu May 19, 2016 5:24 pm

Quoting ASFlyer (Reply 88):
Quoting alfa164 (Reply 87):The fact is a few posters like to bluster that they "know" facts which, in all likelihood, they do not know at all, but merely assume to be correct. That is the nature of A.net, I am afraid. You mean like this:Quoting alfa164 (Reply 14):That "shameful" deal looks like a commonly-accepted sponsorship agreement. Apparently, prior to this year, they had closed the same deal with Alaska Airlines. It wasn't shameful then, nor is it shameful now.It looks like the story was a fabrication, written by someone with an axe to grind.

The information given by the Seattle Pride spokesman indicates - as other posters have mentioned - that the contract had typical, commonly-accepted sponsorship provisions. That is not an assumption; it is based on the evidence given. There is a difference.

[Edited 2016-05-19 10:25:16]

BravoOne

Thu May 19, 2016 5:30 pm

Wow,,,, so much drama here but I guess that goes with the territory and subject matter.

par13del

Thu May 19, 2016 6:10 pm

Does it make a difference what the sponsor wants or what the owner of the parade decides to accept?
How hypocritical is it for a group that is pushing inclusion to allow an exclusion because of money?

canoecarrier

Thu May 19, 2016 7:07 pm

Quoting n7371f (Reply 68):
President of Seattle Gay Pride 2 hours ago: In light of the recent press I would like to clear the air and state I misinterpreted the contractual obligations set in place for Delta Airlines and I wish to retract my statements made to the Alaska Airline Corporation with regards to participation in the 2016 Seattle Pride Parade. It was not my intention to exclude any groups or individuals, regardless of their company loyalties, employer, and group associations. While our sponsors allow us to produce a quality Pride Parade each year, I misunderstood the terms of one of these sponsorships and misrepresented that contract. I apologize for my miscommunication and any hurt feelings I caused

I think he's sorry he got caught. Honestly, I don't fault DL here. This is all on the Pride organizers. When the president of the event tells AS they can't march due to contractual obligations they have with the event sponsor then have to walk that back, it's on them. Keep in mind, most of yesterday they were arguing that the original Seattle Times article was wrong and that they never set any restrictions on AS due to the DL deal.

"But when presented with emails showing Pride did just that — that the deal with Delta prevented Alaska workers from wearing so much as an Eskimo logo — the nonprofit apologized."

Pride has always been about inclusion. There are smart people on all sides of this, Pride had to have known what deal they were striking with DL and the history of AS's group(s) participating in the event. The event itself has really become less of a civil rights march and more of a walking billboard anyway. This just spotlighted some of the financial aspects of the event.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

enilria

Thu May 19, 2016 7:12 pm

Quoting canoecarrier (Reply 92):
I think he's sorry he got caught. Honestly, I don't fault DL here.
Quoting alfa164 (Reply 89):
The information given by the Seattle Pride spokesman indicates - as other posters have mentioned - that the contract had typical, commonly-accepted sponsorship provisions.

Keep in mind one of those provisions that is "common" is a non-disparagement provision which means the people receiving the money cannot say anything negative or damaging about the people paying the money. So what we are seeing is the only possible outcome to avoid a breech of the contract regardless of who was at fault. So, we still don't really know who started the attempt to block AS because the parade had to admit fault in any scenario.

bobnwa

Thu May 19, 2016 7:19 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 93):
So, we still don't really know who started the attempt to block AS because the parade had to admit fault in any scenario.

I think most of the contributors have accepted as a fact that Delta did NOT prevent AS from taking part except you.

cokepopper

Thu May 19, 2016 7:23 pm

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-...resident-of-seattle-pride-resigns/

The president of Seattle Pride resigned after acknowledging he misrepresented the sponsorship agreement with Delta Air Lines.

tlecam

Thu May 19, 2016 7:29 pm

Why let facts get in the way of a perfectly good, mis-informed opinion that feeds some other bias that one may have?
BOS-LGA-JFK | A:319/20/21, 332/3, 346 || B:717, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 762, 763, 764, 787, 772, 744 || MD80, MD90

enilria

Thu May 19, 2016 8:21 pm

Quoting bobnwa (Reply 94):
Quoting enilria (Reply 93):
So, we still don't really know who started the attempt to block AS because the parade had to admit fault in any scenario.

I think most of the contributors have accepted as a fact that Delta did NOT prevent AS from taking part except you.

...and that's exactly why you put non-disparagement language in a marketing contract. It works well.

D L X

Thu May 19, 2016 8:28 pm

This is going to be the greatest Pride ever.

usxguy

Thu May 19, 2016 8:51 pm

because when you look at every OTHER event Delta sponsors - be it Pride, pilot groups, cancer, etc.. they have NEVER kept other airlines out of the mix; they just prohibit other "major airline" sponsors if they are offered the EXCLUSIVE. I also know this as they've sponsored some cancer society events where a smaller airline was also allowed to participate, and guess what.. Alaska was there, just not as a sponsor!!! oh the horror of facts!

>_
xx

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos