Mir

RE: Egypt Air 804 Paris-Cairo Missing Part 2

Thu May 19, 2016 7:57 pm

Quoting a380787 (Reply 189):
Even the latter is still exponentially miniscule considering our atmosphere is designed such that most foreign objects, like small meteors, will disintegrate during entry.

A surprising number of meteors and other debris actually make it to the ground in one form or another (though a lot has burned away in the atmosphere). Still, it is very unlikely the the plane was hit by one.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

cjg225

Thu May 19, 2016 8:00 pm

Quoting ec99 (Reply 207):
I agree with this. if there was a big whole in security at CDG, why not hit a A380 heading to JFK or LAX. Doesn't make sense that take advantage of (and give away) a huge security vulnerability to blow up a 1/3 full A320 over the Med. Sea.

This may just be me, but it doesn't matter to me. Someone taking down an airliner is someone taking down an airliner. The load factor is irrelevant. The type of aircraft is irrelevant. If this is a terrorist act, that's all you need to know.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

GlenP

Thu May 19, 2016 8:06 pm

The Greeks sent the Egyptians a coomunication to say they'd fund the wreckage, off one of their islands.

The Egyptian authorities accpeted this as fact &relayed it to the waiting world.

The Greeks have now changed their original identification.

No matter what your opinion of the Egyptian authorities or Egyptair, this can hadly be pinned on them.

(Sorry but the copy & paste function seems to hav failed on MSEdge at the moment, so I can't link to the Beeb.)
Ubique Quo Fas et Gloria Ducunt

WesternDC6B

Thu May 19, 2016 8:10 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 169):
Oh there will be draconian measures...none of them aviation safety related however

I believe some proper changes to security will take place in many countries, but in the USA, it will only lead to further silliness like shoe and belt removal, and confiscation of Something The Agent Doesn't Like, or, more likely, Something The Agent Wants.
Remember: Only one dwarf in seven is Happy.

CF-CPI

RE: Egypt Air 804 Paris-Cairo Missing Part 3

Thu May 19, 2016 8:11 pm

Quoting GlenP (Reply 217):
The Greeks sent the Egyptians a coomunication to say they'd fund the wreckage, off one of their islands.

The Egyptian authorities accpeted this as fact &relayed it to the waiting world.

The Greeks have now changed their original identification.

But what has become of earlier reports that two bodies were found?

I can imagine random debris being mistaken for aircraft, but bodies?

B747forever

Thu May 19, 2016 8:14 pm

Quoting cjg225 (Reply 216):
This may just be me, but it doesn't matter to me. Someone taking down an airliner is someone taking down an airliner. The load factor is irrelevant. The type of aircraft is irrelevant. If this is a terrorist act, that's all you need to know.

There is no doubt it would have hit home much harder if it was an AF airplane, and even more so if an A380 to the US.
Work Hard, Fly Right

galleypower

Thu May 19, 2016 8:14 pm

Technical question. Greek government says aircraft did some turns to be seen on radar until it was lost at app. 5000 mtrs. The FR 24 data stopps in midair at crz without any turns or altitude changes to be seen. To see the turns on the radar I would assume this would be some wider turns and not sharp turns. So what must happen to miss them on FR24.

Thx

[Edited 2016-05-19 13:15:20]

[Edited 2016-05-19 13:15:48]

Av8rDAL

Thu May 19, 2016 8:21 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 219):
Quoting cjg225 (Reply 216):

There is no doubt it would have hit home much harder if it was an AF airplane, and even more so if an A380 to the US.

Right on, B747Forever.

While we're still speculating, if this is a CDG-originating plot where an explosive device was successfully planted, why this plane, in the middle of the night, half-loaded?

Why waste that big of an opportunity on such a small play? If they were "in" at CDG, I would absolutely expect them to take an A380 going TATL, etc for a far more sensational attack.

This particular instance leads me to suspect whatever took this plane down probably originated elsewhere, if in fact it was an explosive device.
Maintain thine airspeed, lest the Earth rise up and smite thee.

simonriat

Thu May 19, 2016 8:23 pm

Firstly thoughts to those affected by this terrible tragedy. RIP to all those on board.

And now a technical question.

Does the A320 have I think they are ELTs? Or something similar?

And if so can S&R teams use this to home in on the affected area?

Regards
Simon

SCQ83

Thu May 19, 2016 8:25 pm

Quoting Av8rDAL (Reply 221):
Why waste that big of an opportunity on such a small play? If they were "in" at CDG, I would absolutely expect them to take an A380 going TATL, etc for a far more sensational attack.

Terrorist attacks are a way to make an statement or give a message.

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/egypt/2016-05-17/isis-targets-egypt

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/pers...s-its-next-target-experts-say.html

I would focus more on the fact that the plane was flying between France and Egypt. I don't think those two countries are by chance for obvious reasons.

Mir

Thu May 19, 2016 8:26 pm

Quoting galleypower (Reply 220):
So what must happen to miss them on FR24.

Because FR24 isn't actual radar. The receivers aren't actual radar antennas, they're just amateur ADS-B receivers that don't have the reception range or the reliability that actual radar does. So they'll miss things.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

flyingturtle

Thu May 19, 2016 8:28 pm

Quoting simonriat (Reply 222):
Does the A320 have I think they are ELTs? Or something similar?

Of course...

The ELT signal on 406 MHz are picked up by satellites, which then can pinpoint the location. Wikipedia suggests that phase shift of the signal is one of the methods used, because the satellite moves relative to the crash location.

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

bjorn14

Thu May 19, 2016 8:28 pm

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 210):

The point of terrorism in general is to get normal people to change their way of life and ultimately live in fear. The terrorists are proving a point that they can act with impunity....putting a bomb on a redeye flight from CDG to CAI. We must be vigilant 24/7.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

pygmalion

Thu May 19, 2016 8:29 pm

EgyptAir does not fly the A380... like the last bombing, its entirely possible it was targeted at an airline from Egypt

cjg225

Thu May 19, 2016 8:32 pm

Right on, B747Forever.

While we're still speculating, if this is a CDG-originating plot where an explosive device was successfully planted, why this plane, in the middle of the night, half-loaded?

This particular instance leads me to suspect whatever took this plane down probably originated elsewhere, if in fact it was an explosive device.

How is this a "small play"? That's what I'm getting at. Not the difficulty of this vs. a US-bound flight, but the fact that, potentially, someone blew up a commercial airliner in flight. This is not a "small" deal.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

hivue

Thu May 19, 2016 8:33 pm

Quoting galleypower (Reply 220):
Greek government says aircraft did some turns to be seen on radar

The term I saw was "swerve." This is not aviation terminology. What's probably missing here is a proper translation. If the aircraft suffered an instantaneous catastrophic failure at altitude it would not have been making any subsequent "turns" in the controlled flight sense.
"You're sitting. In a chair. In the SKY!!" ~ Louis C.K.

pygmalion

Thu May 19, 2016 8:34 pm

all commercial jets have both a hard mounted ELT and one or more portable ELTs. The shock sensors are on the hard mounted ELT

runway23

Thu May 19, 2016 8:39 pm

I really wonder how long until we see an air crew involved in planting a device. Right now I really doubt background research on air crews or safety crew onboard an aircraft, is the same in all countries. Not saying it is the case here but it is also a potential problem.

B747forever

Thu May 19, 2016 8:40 pm

Quoting cjg225 (Reply 228):
How is this a "small play"? That's what I'm getting at. Not the difficulty of this vs. a US-bound flight, but the fact that, potentially, someone blew up a commercial airliner in flight. This is not a "small" deal.

I am not playing down what has happened. Any downing of an airliner is very serious. However, if it was a bomb and it originated from CDG why not get something that will have bigger implications?
Work Hard, Fly Right

jsfr

Thu May 19, 2016 8:43 pm

News in France is that the police has reviewed the recordings of the luggage qnd hand-luggage x-ray machines for the flight and could not find anything suspicious.

Didn't know they kept recordings of that, but makes sense.

curlyheadboy

Thu May 19, 2016 8:44 pm

Among the little information that has been available so far, I find interesting the claim that the aircraft apparently performed a couple tight turns before it disappeared. And that satellite imaging allegedly shows evidence of an explosion.
It could be just data showing the inflight breakup, but I was thinking to myself whether his may show the crew maneuvered to avoid a collision with another aircraft or an incoming weapon, or they somehow just lost control.

On a side note, I just got home a few minutes ago with a flight from CDG, the airport was operating normally with no signs of increased security (Actually I went through terminal 2F, so in a completely different part of the complex of that where the ill fated flight departed from). I just saw several police cars, a couple of fire trucks and an ambulance speeding past the terminal, sirens on. But that of course could have been a routine sight at a large airport.
If God had wanted men to fly he would have given them more money...

hivue

Thu May 19, 2016 8:44 pm

Quoting pygmalion (Reply 227):
like the last bombing, its entirely possible it was targeted at an airline from Egypt

Metrojet is Russian.

TVNWZ

Thu May 19, 2016 8:46 pm

I think we might also look to the cockpit as well for some clues. If no explosive was involved and with three security guards aboard, it would open up to some sort of action in the cockpit involving the pilot or co-pilot.

I am sure we will know soon enough. Terrorism, if that is the cause, does not mean a bomb has to be placed on the plane as we have seen.

Viper911

Thu May 19, 2016 8:46 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 232):
I am not playing down what has happened. Any downing of an airliner is very serious. However, if it was a bomb and it originated from CDG why not get something that will have bigger implications?

Because either way it will make the news and will get world wide coverage. For them it's a success.

Viper911

LAX772LR

Thu May 19, 2016 8:47 pm

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 210):
So, except from "finding the wreckage"

Which they're now reporting as not being the case.

Apparently what the Greeks found is NOT from MS804.  
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

flyingturtle

Thu May 19, 2016 8:49 pm

I wonder who gets to investigate the accident...

1. the country where the accident happened has to investigate (country of occurrence)
2. if the accident occurred over international waters, the country of registration has to investigate
3. if neither are able to investigate, they can/will delegate to ICAO or another country

Concerning the question of international waters, I wonder if the 12 nm zone of territorial waters applies, or the 200 nm economic exclusion zone...

David

flyingturtle

Thu May 19, 2016 8:52 pm

Quoting jsfr (Reply 233):
News in France is that the police has reviewed the recordings of the luggage qnd hand-luggage x-ray machines for the flight and could not find anything suspicious.

Wow. Wow. If this is true - and the flight was brought down by a bomb - there is serious trouble...

David

richierich

Thu May 19, 2016 8:56 pm

Quoting jsfr (Reply 233):

What exactly would this show? I'm assuming there was nothing odd about the luggage otherwise it probably wouldn't have been put on the aircraft.

The plane has been missing for close to 20 hours as I write this. Assuming it did crash into the Mediterranean, why has nobody found wreckage yet? I realize the Med is a large sea, but it is also criss-crossed by hundreds of aircraft and boats...the search area cannot be that large, can it? I guess it all comes down to how much floats versus how much sinks, and there are a lot of factors that can determine that.
None shall pass!!!!

flyingturtle

Thu May 19, 2016 9:00 pm

Pihero is missing from this thread. I think he's waiting until the storm has settled and a better picture has crystallized...

Quoting richierich (Reply 240):
The plane has been missing for close to 20 hours as I write this.

I wonder about...

...the range of civilian/military radars over the Mediterrenean Sea
...the presence of frigates/cruisers with Aegis radar (or other neat stuff aboard)
...if SOSUS microphones or the Greek seismographers have picked anything up

David

cat3appr50

Thu May 19, 2016 9:02 pm

If an aircraft breaks up at flight/cruise altitude (in this case FL370), for whatever cause, and assuming this is what may have happened, inherent inertial forces and of course drag opposing the inertial direction and gravity acting in the vertical direction and external forces (i.e. winds aloft) act on an (unpowered) aircraft (or aircraft debris).

It appears that MSR804 was following a flight path including overflying RAPOS WP and KUMBI WP (reported to be the approximate last radar position of MSR804 at around 0030Z). Therefore looking at the flight path direction and coordinates being reported for the last radar contact position at approximately KUMBI WP and the reported coordinates for the found/located ocean debris, it appears logical that the aircraft (or aircraft debris if truly an inflight breakup) continued on a forward inertial path while being displaced E by winds aloft (at the last position time, being roughly 280 Deg. True at 75 Knots at FL370 at both HECA and LGKP) while descending.

At a reported approximately 530 NM/Hr ground speed at FL370 at the time of lost radar contact the aircraft (or debris) would have been moving over the ground (ocean) at around 9 NM/ minute and then (unpowered) decelerating while descending, and along with the reported winds aloft acting almost directly from the West displacing the debris to the East. IMO the ocean debris location found around 60 NM Left of the course at the reported last radar position seems logical relative to a potential inflight breakup (from whatever cause) at FL370.

GlenP

Thu May 19, 2016 9:02 pm

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 241):
...the presence of frigates/cruisers with Aegis radar (or other neat stuff aboard)

A couple of RFA's & HMS Enterprise were, apparently, near enough to be able to start participating in the search for survivors & wreckage from quite early on.

GlenP

Thu May 19, 2016 9:06 pm

Quoting CF-CPI (Reply 1):

The Egyptians, so far have only reported what others have relayed to them, regarding what has been found in the search.

One has to bear in mind the number of migrants / illegal immigrants that have drowned in that general area in recent months, so even the finding of bodies might not be indicative of having found anything relating to the loss of this aircraft.

9w748capt

Thu May 19, 2016 9:12 pm

Somewhat hypothetical at this point - but if this bomb was planted at CDG and not CAI or somewhere else with presumably lax security - the hell is France going to do? I don't even want to think about that.

SOBHI51

Thu May 19, 2016 9:12 pm

CNN reporting
" EgyptAir Vice Chairman Ahmed Adel told CNN that the debris found Thursday in the Mediterranean Sea is not from Flight 804, which disappeared while flying from Paris to Cairo.

"We stand corrected on finding the wreckage because what we identified is not a part of our plane," Adel told CNN's Jake Tapper. "So the search and rescue is still going on."

Earlier, Adel told CNN's Christiane Amanpour that "we have found the wreckage."

Might be a reason for the flight to be on A320 instead of 738, i remember a couple of weeks back there was a strike by the cockpit crew of the Boeing, don't know if it is still on.

[Edited 2016-05-19 14:17:13]
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

VX321

Thu May 19, 2016 9:18 pm

After seeing how bad the news stations(and MS) are reporting this,I am no longer trusting MS or CNN. From the few credible reports, there was a catastrophic event at FL37 and then the plane plummeted in a circle until it went off the radar. This leads me to believe that it was either terrorism or a rudder/vertical stabilizer failure. The way the final moments were reported,it doesn't sound like it was pilot suicide. It was abrupt,like a bomb or some mech. failure though I do not know of any mechanical failure that would cause such a sudden stop of flight with no time for a reaction by flight crew.

CF-CPI

Thu May 19, 2016 9:21 pm

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 6):
CNN reporting
" EgyptAir Vice Chairman Ahmed Adel told CNN that the debris found Thursday in the Mediterranean Sea is not from Flight 804, which disappeared while flying from Paris to Cairo.

"We stand corrected on finding the wreckage because what we identified is not a part of our plane," Adel told CNN's Jake Tapper. "So the search and rescue is still going on."

OK then, that seems to settle it for now.

I assume that homing in on the locator beacon is the next step. What's involved in that?

a380787

Thu May 19, 2016 9:23 pm

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 2):

Concerning the question of international waters, I wonder if the 12 nm zone of territorial waters applies, or the 200 nm economic exclusion zone...

Usually the nearest nation(s) will help out a bit. Australia helped out MH 370 a lot but I believe Malaysia is the one footing most of the bill, since the "arc" was very far from where western Australia is, no matter which definition of marine time border we use. Australia had every right not to dip their hand in either if they elect to.

In this case, Greece as a member of EU most likely will do a lot of assistance.

hivue

Thu May 19, 2016 9:52 pm

Quoting SOBHI51 (Reply 6):
"So the search and rescue is still going on."

If the airplane broke up at high altitude due to a bomb or structural failure as many seem to believe, how large a debris field on the surface should that leave?

CALTECH

Thu May 19, 2016 9:53 pm

Quoting lugie:
But why would they wait to detonate the bomb until the return leg? A load of 66 on an A320 doesn't really justify the risk of the bomb being discovered on turnaround at CDG in my book.

Why would they hijack relatively empty aircraft on 9/11 ? Once they decide to go, they

Quoting flyingturtle:
:
Hey, we volleyballers are peaceful! A referee told me that he neither had to show a yellow or a red card to any player in three years...

Yes volleyballers are. Very peaceful. Have to apologize to all volleyballers, especially the Swedish Volleyball Team.

http://www.mikasa.se/pub_images/original/Damlandslaget-2012_498.jpg

[quote=flyingturtle (Reply 2):
I wonder who gets to investigate the accident...[/quote]

It will be a jont effort with Egypt, country airline is based in, Airbus, company that built the aircraft, French BEA and DGAC, country flight originated from, and others, probably those with citizens/nationals on board.
The gun is a precious Symbol of Freedom
Criminals are the deadly cancer on American society
Those who believe otherwise are consumed by an ideology
That is impervious to evidence of tyrants who disarm their citizens

jpetekyxmd80

Thu May 19, 2016 9:54 pm

It's rather shocking to me that no debris was found with a clear, whole day of searching a fairly precise area with a wealth of search vessels.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

hivue

Thu May 19, 2016 10:15 pm

Quoting CALTECH (Reply 10):
It will be a jont effort with Egypt, country airline is based in, Airbus, company that built the aircraft, French BEA and DGAC, country flight originated from, and others, probably those with citizens/nationals on board.

Only one nation will be in charge of the investigation. They're probably waiting to find the wreckage to figure that out. There will be assistance provided by other nations and various affected parties.

winterlight

Thu May 19, 2016 10:24 pm

Quoting jpetekyxmd80 (Reply 11):

It's rather shocking to me that no debris was found with a clear, whole day of searching a fairly precise area with a wealth of search vessels.

Just like when MH370 'crashed'.
Question everything. Trust no-one.

SOBHI51

Thu May 19, 2016 10:37 pm

Just heard, a dear lady friend ( from school), her husband, son and his wife were on the plane.

May they rest in peace.  
I am against any terrorist acts committed under the name of Islam

eal46859

Thu May 19, 2016 10:39 pm

The news is speculating that the bomb was put on the plane at an earlier stop
(or even the first departure ) and then at CDG the suicide bomber boarded as a regular passenger. He then set off the bomb that was left for him.

Would that not mean someone from Egypt Air (or another airport worker possibly) would have to set this up to relay what specific aircraft will arrive in Paris for the bomber to board? Or does the aircraft that always starts off in Asmara , always travel the same route every day even when it arrives and departs the main hub in Cairo twice a day?

Obviously if the bomb was placed on the aircraft the last time it left from Cairo, it could have been left by a cleaning crew or the caterers .

EMAman

Thu May 19, 2016 10:45 pm

Im afraid a lot of migrant boats have sunk in the area in recent times - if indeed there were two bodies - these could have multiple explanations too.

EMAman

Thu May 19, 2016 10:47 pm

Quoting jpetekyxmd80 (Reply 11):

Me too, I share that view. Particularly as they know the approximate area. Does anyone know the water depths in the area? I dont think the med is that deep? but I am not an expert. We shouldnt be dealing with the 30000 ft depths involved with AF 447 and MH 370.

flyingturtle

Thu May 19, 2016 10:53 pm

Quoting EMAman (Reply 17):
Does anyone know the water depths in the area? I dont think the med is that deep? but I am not an expert. We shouldnt be dealing with the 30000 ft depths involved with AF 447 and MH 370.

3000 or more meters in that area... http://paleopolis.rediris.es/benthos/PISOS/Fign/med.png

AF447 was found in 4000 meters depth.

David

B747forever

Thu May 19, 2016 11:11 pm

Quoting winterlight (Reply 13):
Just like when MH370 'crashed'.

Someone over at flyertalk made the point that it is exactly 804 days since MH370 disappeared. 804 days later and we have MS 804 disappearing.
Work Hard, Fly Right

btfarrwm

Thu May 19, 2016 11:13 pm

Maybe the plane was hijacked a la 9/11 and the left turn seen by the Greeks was interpreted as a turn towards Israel and the Israelis shot it down.

RickNRoll

Thu May 19, 2016 11:18 pm

The Syrian refugee crises means there are possible bodies out there anyway, as well as buouancy vests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos