Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Fly-K
Topic Author

Undocumented 787 Deliveries From Charleston

Fri May 20, 2016 12:59 pm

While any delivery of a new aircraft, whether from PAE, BFI, TLS or XFW is usually well documented with plenty of pics of new colors, new operators etc., it seems 787 deliveries from CHS fly under the radar.
Specifically, CA received their first 789 yesterday and there is not a single pic of it.
Is CHS really so far our in the woods that noone can take pics there? From Google Street View, it looks like the airport access road passes by the flightline... Or are cameras not tolerated with CHS being partly military?

Update while writing: CA 789 has been photographed arriving at PEK upon delivery - but not at CHS, which proves my question.
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been...

Someone83

RE: Undocumented 787 Deliveries From Charleston

Fri May 20, 2016 1:01 pm

817Dreamliiner

Fri May 20, 2016 1:05 pm

There was a photo posted of the CA 787-9 at CHS in the 787 thread and there were some photos posted from the delivery ceremony on twitter but that's pretty much it. We hardly get much from CHS, but I'm not entirely sure if its spotter friendly or not.
Life is encrypted, you are modified, Like a virus in a lullaby, Artificial till the day you die, silly programme, You're corrupted

rta

Fri May 20, 2016 1:15 pm

Quoting Someone83 (Reply 1):
Several photos here from CHS

Oh wow, that livery really looks ridiculous on the 787.

Polot

Fri May 20, 2016 1:20 pm

I believe someone said in the 787 production thread that the Boeing set up in CHS is not really conducive to getting good photos. Yes, there is a road that runs right along the flightline- but if you look on streetview you will see that the blast fences block most of the aircraft. Hanging right up next to the airport fence in the narrow strip of grass between the road and fence or pond will definitely attract police attention, and you can't really see the Boeing site all that well from the terminal area.

deltadawg

Fri May 20, 2016 1:21 pm

Typically, they park waiting aircraft on the south side of the building and the aircraft are usually visible from I-526 but the view is somewhat blocked due to the pine trees between the interstate and the property. I go to Charleston every couple of weeks but to view the parked aircraft one would have to park on S. Aviation Drive. However, Boeing and N. Charleston police regularly patrol that road and I would be hesitant of sitting there too long. The Boeing delivery center has a parking lot that you can park at but it too has a patrolman that comes through the parking lot regularly so I am not too sure if loitering is allowed.

Occasionally, you might be able to see some 787's from the cell phone waiting area at the airport but only if the aircraft have been moved to the northeast side of the site.

As a side note, I have seen 787's flying into and out of CAE. I always assumed they were on proving flights but having time to stop there and catching them there at the right time has always proved unsuccessful.
GO Dawgs, Sic' em, woof woof woof

hkcanadaexpat

Fri May 20, 2016 1:23 pm

The problem with CHS is that the Boeing flightline is not of easy access to spotters. The street stands behind the airplanes with a high non-seethrough fence. So even with a ladder, you can only get a picture of the back of the airplane which shows little about the livery. Buildings sit at both ends of the flightline and across from it. The best pictures have come from insiders taking pictures from the Delivery Center or from the ramp/buildings. Most Air China 789 pictures have been posted by people invited to the delivery ceremony or employees of Air China doing inspections.

I don't know the spotter situation with regards to the CHS runway. Also some pictures have been taken in Acadiana/Victorville/Portland where these frames get painted.

A

RDUDDJI

Fri May 20, 2016 1:28 pm

Quoting Polot (Reply 4):
believe someone said in the 787 production thread that the Boeing set up in CHS is not really conducive to getting good photos. Yes, there is a road that runs right along the flightline- but if you look on streetview you will see that the blast fences block most of the aircraft. Hanging right up next to the airport fence in the narrow strip of grass between the road and fence or pond will definitely attract police attention, and you can't really see the Boeing site all that well from the terminal area.

This, and additionally the traffic in that area around the airport is quite bad. The intersections weren't really designed for the number of vehicles/day they're seeing now.

The delivery center is really the only good area to try to photo.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

TWA772LR

Fri May 20, 2016 1:32 pm

Quoting Fly-K (Thread starter):
From Google Street View, it looks like the airport access road passes by the flightline

I've walked on that road before. We parked at the Boeing visits center, walked up that road, took a side trail through a patch of trees and hung out on the little pier of a man-made Lake there. It's open to the public.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

TWA772LR

Fri May 20, 2016 1:34 pm

Quoting rta (Reply 3):

Indeed. They should've either lowered the cheatline, contoured it with the nose, or done a United-esque wave.

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Fly-K
Topic Author

Fri May 20, 2016 1:39 pm

Thanks for the quick feedback! I see the point with the high fence. But I would imagine some approach shots during flight tests should be possible?

Regarding the CA 787, I think it doesn't look better or worse than any other CA aircraft type... at least it's a classic livery (albeit a bland one) compared to MU.
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been...

BoeingVista

Fri May 20, 2016 1:43 pm

Quoting rta (Reply 3):

Yup it looks like a plastic toy aircraft you would buy from a dollar shop.
BV

smittythepirate

Fri May 20, 2016 2:04 pm

Quoting hkcanadaexpat (Reply 6):
I don't know the spotter situation with regards to the CHS runway. Also some pictures have been taken in Acadiana/Victorville/Portland where these frames get painted.
Quoting BoeingVista (Reply 11):
Thanks for the quick feedback! I see the point with the high fence. But I would imagine some approach shots during flight tests should be possible?

The problem with the runway is that it is shared with the Air Force base. You are not allowed to stop or park along the runway.
www.jbweather.com

GE9X

Fri May 20, 2016 2:13 pm

Quoting rta (Reply 3):

It looks ridiculous on every aircraft, except maybe Soviet airliners or the 747.

G-CIVP

Sat May 21, 2016 9:38 am

Quoting hkcanadaexpat (Reply 6):
The problem with CHS is that the Boeing flightline is not of easy access to spotters. The street stands behind the airplanes with a high non-seethrough fence.

Sounds like the management at Heathrow borrowed this idea!

caetravlr

Sat May 21, 2016 11:21 am

The problem with CHS spotting, at least in my opinion, is that the interesting traffic here is so few and far between. So even if you can find a good location for spotting and photography, you have to be aware well in advance of the movements that you are interested in. I know there are ways to do that, but I have never had the time to plan a spotting trip in advance. I did get lucky and get a shot of a VS 787 on departure for its delivery flight from within the terminal while waiting to board my flight to JFK. However, between being inside the terminal and it being with my iPhone, the shots weren't that great.

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 8):
I've walked on that road before. We parked at the Boeing visits center, walked up that road, took a side trail through a patch of trees and hung out on the little pier of a man-made Lake there. It's open to the public.

I was not aware that there was a visitor center where one could park and take a walk that was open to the public. I drive by there at least once a week on the frontage road between the factory and the interstate to see what new liveries are on the flightline, but have never stopped!

I have seen them patrolling the airport perimeter on ATVs as I was driving by before, so I am guessing that stopping anywhere other than a designated lot would lead to some unpleasant conversations.
A woman drove me to drink and I didn't have the decency to thank her. - W.C. Fields

jetmatt777

Sat May 21, 2016 11:35 am

Seattle area is also a much larger area and the probability of someone who is interested in documenting new planes off the line is much greater. In Charleston you simply have a smaller population and most likely a smaller number of people who would want to go out and document it. And with a smaller number of people you also have less opportunities as people have their own lives to live.

flyabr

Sat May 21, 2016 3:53 pm

Quoting rta (Reply 3):

For some reason that livery presents itself in such a way that I almost always think I'm looking at a Russian aircraft from the old Soviet Union days.

TWA772LR

Sat May 21, 2016 6:54 pm

Quoting caetravlr (Reply 15):

I was not aware that there was a visitor center where one could park and take a walk that was open to the public. I drive by there at least once a week on the frontage road between the factory and the interstate to see what new liveries are on the flightline, but have never stopped!

I have seen them patrolling the airport perimeter on ATVs as I was driving by before, so I am guessing that stopping anywhere other than a designated lot would lead to some unpleasant conversations.

I'm not exactly sure what it was, but if I had to guess, I'd say visitors center. There wasn't a gift shop or anything. We weren't sure if we could've parked there or not, but we did anyway! I think it was between the terminal and the assembly building.

kanban

Sat May 21, 2016 7:24 pm

Quoting rta (Reply 3):

at least it's distinctive, and that is the airlines goal.. and the plane's markings are off topic.

smittythepirate

Sat May 21, 2016 8:30 pm

There is a visitor center where all guests get their badges that allow them to visit the campus. There is a smaller 787 model and a board of the history of the Boeing company (years of accomplishments). You are also able to see a replica tail on the other side of the fence there. They use to have a wooden boardwalk through a wooded area near the flight line but that has since been removed to add 2 additional flight stalls.

The paint facility is being built right beside the visitor center which could make for better pictures when planes roll out unless they find a way to block the view. Employees can lose their job if they take any pictures so the site stays pretty secluded.
www.jbweather.com

RobK

Sun May 22, 2016 4:38 am

I guess there will be even less chance of seeing them in flight test once the on-site paint shop is up and running, which I understand is meant to be happening fairly soon.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos