MaxxFlyer

RE: Airports With Too Much Capacity

Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:18 am

I have observed a number of comments that are basing their claims by Google Maps views of the airports. Since we have no idea what time of day the photos were taken, I'm not sure that's a valid argument about airport capacity.

michman

Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:23 am

Quoting chicawgo (Reply 96):
Agree but DTW North Terminal is never crowded. I know that from lots of experience. It's actually quite terrifying being in that concourse.

I think it's mostly because almost no one is connecting there as it's pretty much all O&D travel. With NK growing in recent years and the addition of B6 and AS, most of the gates now seem to be in use.

southwest1675

Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:23 am

Quoting Beatyair (Reply 17):

When was the last time you were at BNA? 2003? Have you even been to that airport? Nashville is the second fastest growing airport in the United States. They're actually out of ticket counter space and gates. Matter of fact, they've got plans to expand that terminal. BNA is a focus city for Southwest Airlines, it's the biggest non hub station for AA. What airport of it's size can say they have 9 daily departures to LAX? Nashville in the last year has gained numerous new airlines and service. Nashville will also be getting a flight to Europe soon. Mark my words. BNA is not a joke.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

GSPFlyer

Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:10 am

Quoting MaxxFlyer (Reply 100):

I have observed a number of comments that are basing their claims by Google Maps views of the airports. Since we have no idea what time of day the photos were taken, I'm not sure that's a valid argument about airport capacity.

Exactly. On the google maps image of GSP, there are 3/13 gates being used.

If you could walk on the tarmac early in the morning (~5 AM Eastern time) you would see something like:

3X DL MD-88
2X DL CRJ-200
3X UA ERJ-135
1X WN 737
2X AA CRJ-900
3X AA CRJ-200

That's more planes than gates, which all depart within a ~3 hour period early in the morning.

[Edited 2016-06-07 22:11:00]

ha763

Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:55 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 86):
Quoting SurfandSnow (Reply 83):
Their runway and terminal were designed with (regulation era) widebody ops in mind and opened right about the time deregulation allowed the mainland carriers to drop ITO services that had been required in order to serve the much more desirable HNL market.

Well, it was more a result of KOA getting a long enough runway to support serving the desirable side of the island.

KOA didn't factor in the drop in overseas flights to ITO at all. KOA's first mainland didn't happen until 1983, several years after CO and UA, the last carriers with ITO-mainland flights, stopped flying to ITO. KOA's first runway extension from 6500ft to 9500ft was completed in 1989 and the second extension to 11000ft didn't open until 1993. Again, well after ITO lost its overseas flights.

klm617

Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:40 pm

Quoting chicawgo (Reply 82):
DTW: Mcnamara packed / North Terminal pretty bare
Quoting portcolumbus (Reply 34):
Aside from the 2pm and 6pm arrival banks, DTW has tons of spare capacity.

I'm glad that others see this to DTW has a ton of extra capacity that is not being used effectively. Also since Delta has stripped FNT of most of it's flights and with AirTran gone and Southwest not maintaining the same level of service there there is a lot of unused space there.

Quoting flyDTW1992 (Reply 51):
Pretty much. I think DTW is pretty well positioned if it can return to its peak traffic numbers and then exceed that gradually. The 4 parallel runways can handle as much traffic as some of the busiest fields in the world, and like you said, spread out over the day there's plentiful gate space to be had. The one caveat is that if WCAA starts successfully attracting much more major international service outside of DL partners, there will be a little bit of a squeeze on the North Terminal's widebody space. I'm not an engineer, but don't think it'd be a huge challenge/expense to raise the number of widebody gates to 2 or 3, which would be just right if LH and RJ are joined by a handful of other international carriers. I suppose remote parking on the South end of the terminal would be a short-term option as well.

The problem is the WCAA is sleeping on the job practicing Delta protectionism so I don't see where we will get any new entrants in the Detroit market in the near future. I rolled into the Mac the other morning and it was a ghost town made me very sad to think of the World Gateway in it's glory day and what it has been reduced to know in favor of routing people away from DTW and through ATL.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

a380787

Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:17 pm

Quoting washingtonflyer (Reply 78):

Actually I'm closer to IAD than DCA. But I still prefer to use DCA. Guess that kind of blows your theory out of the water...

You prefer DCA because your preferred airline hubs there? Or your traveling patterns are mostly intra-perimeter ? Did you started off being loyal to AA, so therefore, DCA is most logical, or you started off wanting DCA, then become loyal to whichever airline that hubs there ?

RDUDDJI

Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:24 pm

Quoting chicawgo (Reply 96):
Agree but DTW North Terminal is never crowded. I know that from lots of experience. It's actually quite terrifying being in that concourse.

True. Even in McNamara there are a few times of the day between banks when it seems dead.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

ikramerica

Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:49 pm

Quoting SurfandSnow (Reply 83):

I typed it but my stupid iPhone shut off with 23% battery again.

Funny thing is the helicopter terminal is often overcrowded...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

slcdeltarumd11

Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:18 pm

ACY is also too large for the operations it sees now. IT does handle alot of charter traffic

chicawgo

Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:48 pm

Quoting johns624 (Reply 97):
Being in a quiet terminal "terrifies" you?

Oh yes, immensely.

Quoting MaxxFlyer (Reply 100):

If you read my original post I said that I realize it is not scientific. But I still think it is worth something in giving a sense of how busy an airport is and how well it's being used. If an airport uses every gate for one hour and is practically empty the rest of the day... I wouldn't consider that a busy airport and its capacity being a strong investment!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos