|Quoting RWA380 (Reply 71):|
Quoting N14AZ (Reply 45):I am currently in Hanoi and had a beer at the bar of my hotel. Suddenly a group of bodyguards appeared and US Secretary of States John Kerry took a seat next to me
I've met Mr. Kerry in a Georgetown Restaurant years & years ago, he is a nice man to have a casual & brief conversation with. Good thing spotters don't look threatening. LOL!
Yes, he seemed to be a true Gentleman. He even nodded to us before sitting down...
|Quoting YLWbased (Reply 49):|
Confirmed and on-going Aviation Related project in Vietnam:
1. Nha Trang Airport (CXR) Expansion - 2nd runway and a new terminal.
2. Hai Phong Airport Expansion - New International Terminal (Completed this month)
3. Cam Ranh Airport Expansion - New International Terminal (due: Dec, 2017)
4. Long Thanh International Airport (New HCMC International Airport) (due: 2023)
5. Haiphong Airport - Terminal Expansion (Completed this month)
6. [Planning Stage] New Lao Cai/Sapa International Airport (expect project start end of this year)
7. [Planning Stage] New Lai Chau Airport (Government funding approved)
8. [Planning Stage] New Son La Airport (Government funding approved)
9. Quang Ninh Ha Long Hay International Airport (due: Dec, 2017)
10. ATC Upgrade: New North-South Air Corridor (due: 2017)
11. DaNang International Airport Expansion - New International Terminal (due: Nov 2017)
Interesting list. I have a question regarging no. 8, new Son La Airport because....
|Quoting N14AZ (Reply 45):|
Just had to drive back for 8 hours from one of the provinces due to the lack of a decent domestic flight.
It's very hard to travel to Son La. On my way to Son La I flew to Dien Bien Phu and then three hours to Son La. Back to Hanoi I used the car, one entire working day just for travelling, phewww. That's why I am asking: why don't they use the existing airport anymore? Some years ago there were flights from/to Hanoi but I guess services ended because of commercial reasons /lack of demand. Or are there any technical reasons? Why do they intend to build a new airport?
|Quoting travelhound (Reply 76):|
Quoting N14AZ (Reply 45):Off-topic: I am currently in Hanoi and had a beer at the bar of my hotel. Suddenly a group of bodyguards appeared and US Secretary of States John Kerry took a seat next to me (one of the bodyguards screened me with his eyes, seems as if former planespotters do not look like terrorists...)
How is the new Hanoi airport. They were almost complete when I was last there.
Hmm, it's OK
, I would say. The design is very simplistic, nothing special, just an ordinary terminal.