Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Mortyman
Topic Author

Pax On Norwegian Flight Can Expect A Big Fine

Mon May 23, 2016 11:14 pm

Aircraft had to turn due to the drunk 51-year-old. It may cost a man 210.000 NOK

The flight to Bangkok had to be canceled and the plane made an emergency landing to get rid of the looming 51-year-old. Now he risks a huge fine.

Dreamliner from Norwegian was coming from wintry Norway to hot summer in Thailand. One of the passengers picked up duty-free bag shortly after departure from Gardermoen and started drinking.

He was not served by the crew, but drank from his tax free quota.

The big plane was on a couple of seats near chock full of holiday-hungry Norwegians. Those sitting closest to the 51-year-old got to move, but the man was still tormenting people.

An hour after it had passed Warsaw the captain decided that it could not go onfurther, and the plane turned.

On the ground he was met by six soldiers with machine guns and hoods ...

In June the 51-year-old will have to meet in Asker and Bærum District Court in Norway on charges of death threats against two fellow passengers and breach of aviation law provisions to comply with the crew's messages.

Norwegian has demanded 209,578 kroner in damages.

- It is calculated from the the extra cost the airline is at an unplanned stopover, says communications director Lasse Sandakerveien-Nielsen in the airline.

He said that man was unruly, intoxicated and disruptive and that he put forward serious threats to fellow passengers.

http://www.budstikka.no/bot/alkohol/...annen-210-000-kroner/s/5-55-317893

http://www.tv2.no/nyheter/8331097/

TheCommodore

RE: Pax On Norwegian Flight Can Expect A Big Fine

Mon May 23, 2016 11:37 pm

Throw the book at him.

The airline and passengers and holidays were disrupted, all because he decided to drink to much.

nikeherc

Mon May 23, 2016 11:38 pm

That's $25,000 U.S. That's a lot of money, but I'm surprised that's all they want.

traindoc

Tue May 24, 2016 12:30 am

Time for zero tolerance. I would like to see a lifetime ban for any further air travel (any airline) for these jerks. At least that way it won't happen again. Many of these individuals are repeat offenders when it comes to this kind of behavior, whether in the air or on the ground.

Mortyman
Topic Author

Tue May 24, 2016 4:45 am

Quoting traindoc (Reply 3):
lifetime ban for any further air travel (any airline)

a bit over the top I think. It should be for the airline in question.

A350

Tue May 24, 2016 5:15 am

Quoting nikeherc (Reply 2):

That's $25,000 U.S. That's a lot of money, but I'm surprised that's all they want.

That was my thought, too. I you just calculate very roughly 200 pax and each paid 500 $/€, the entire flight ends up to have a value of 100.000$/€, so you come very easily in the 6-digit range.

A350

bjorn14

Tue May 24, 2016 6:01 am

I am surprised there is no jail time along with the fine but then this is Norway where jail is probably a better place than his home.

Zombus

Tue May 24, 2016 8:38 am

Quoting traindoc (Reply 3):
Time for zero tolerance.

"Yeah, ban alcohol on flights!" was the first thing I thought you meant when reading this. Just like smoking's banned, ban alcohol, too. Which wouldn't even be such a ridiculous thought. After all, in-flight alcohol consumption dehydrates (health effects), reduces pax capability to act in case of emergencies (safety effect) and may lead to unacceptable behaviour (comfort effect).

Then I read the rest of your post  

euroflyer

Tue May 24, 2016 3:13 pm

Reminds me of a very similar story that happened last week end at Toulouse.
24 drunk and particularly excited people onboard an U2 flight bound to Mallorca (from Glasgow) forced the flight to divert to TLS.
Because of the diversion delays the crew wasn't able to operate the flight back to Glasgow and the airline had to pay accomodation and food for the pax

I guess, they also could ask for some huge damages as well

DfwRevolution

Tue May 24, 2016 3:29 pm

Does the Montreal Convention or other treaty cap the liability of a passengers to the airline? I would hope so, given that treaties cap the airline's liability for the value of our life!

rbavfan

Tue May 24, 2016 3:55 pm

If you cant survive a couple hours on a flight without drinking because your flying and need to get drunk, Dont Fly! To many problems because some jerk can't act like an adult.

One of the employees years back did this on a republic flight PHX-LAX. (tells you how many years) They let him off with cops in LAS and he had to fly someone else, after threatening to to hijack the plane if they did not give him more alcohol. He actually showed up after the meetings for the flight back and was shocked they would no longer fly him.

So yes If you have no control learn to drive on long trips.

Francoflier

Tue May 24, 2016 5:07 pm

Chances are he'll never pay near as much.

Still, I hope it's a good chunk of his money, enough to teach him a lesson. That and his cancelled holiday, for which he won't get a refund (I hope).

Get help, man.

wjcandee

Tue May 24, 2016 5:17 pm

Quoting Mortyman (Thread starter):
209,578 kroner

$31K. Not ruinously-large.

copenhagenboy

Tue May 24, 2016 8:09 pm

I was thinking about this problem last time I flew Bkk-cph on TG. Normally there was a boardinggate where you showed your boardingpass. This time I just had to go to the the boardingline, no one was checked before, only at check-in. Maybe this kind of check-in makes the problem with drunk passangers bigger. I remember a drunk passanger was denied booking at all, because there was this screening before entering the gatearea.

Mir

Tue May 24, 2016 8:12 pm

If they'd wanted more than that they might not have gotten it. It's still more than enough to send a strong message, and good on them for actually making an issue of it.

-Mir

Mortyman
Topic Author

Tue May 24, 2016 8:14 pm

The flight was delayed for 3 hours because of this incident ...

SASDC8

Tue May 24, 2016 8:54 pm

I say great! He deserves every penny of it.

It we start fining this guys properly, maybe the rest of the guys emptying their tax free alcohol before or on the flight will learn something.

outbackair

Tue May 24, 2016 10:47 pm

Quoting Zombus (Reply 7):
"Yeah, ban alcohol on flights!" was the first thing I thought you meant when reading this. Just like smoking's banned, ban alcohol, too. Which wouldn't even be such a ridiculous thought.

Already the case on some Aeroflot long haul flights (and other Russian airlines I believe) specifically due to pax behaviour. Other airlines often serve only wine and beer. Here in Western Australia, one airline cut it to only light strength beer on routes where there were a lot of miners coming off shift with FIFO (Fly-in, Fly-out).

milemaster

Tue May 24, 2016 10:54 pm

How old was he? The article wasn't very clear.

B747forever

Tue May 24, 2016 10:56 pm

Quoting milemaster (Reply 18):
How old was he? The article wasn't very clear.

It is right there in the first sentence by the OP.

Quoting Mortyman (Thread starter):
Aircraft had to turn due to the drunk 51-year-old. It may cost a man 210.000 NOK

N1120A

Tue May 24, 2016 11:50 pm

It sounds like they are being reasonable and only asking for what it cost them. Decent position to take, given that he is likely to counter that they knew or should have known he shouldn't have been served and they should have assured he didn't have access to his duty free.

Flaps

Wed May 25, 2016 4:20 pm

I think that sounds like a reasonable amount for a fine of this nature. Severe enough to make anyone think twice about doing it again, enough to get publicity about the problem but not so much that there is no chance of it ever being paid. Drunk and unruly passengers are a serious issue that needs to be addressed. It seems to be getting worse every year. Airline staff try to weed these out the beast they can prior to boarding but there is only so much they can do. There are a number of other tasks to be completed at the same time, passengers with questions or problems etc.

The passenger only has to put on a straight face and act normal for a couple of minutes. Most people can do that. Add in the altitude effects of alcohol and someone who was perfectly reasonable on the ground suddenly becomes a complete idiot at 30,000 feet after another drink. I personally would not object to an alcohol ban but that certainly doesn't seem fair to vast majority of passengers that drink responsibly and cause no trouble.

dhr

Wed May 25, 2016 8:54 pm

A fair fine would be: Airline Costs + €200 per pax with the €200 going to each pax onboard the flight.

[Edited 2016-05-25 13:54:54]

bcbhokie

Thu May 26, 2016 5:20 am

Worth noting that however you feel about an alcohol ban, it isn't pertinent to this discussion - the man was consuming duty free liquor inflight, which is already prohibited on every airline I've encountered to date...

milemaster

Thu May 26, 2016 5:00 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 19):
It is right there in the first sentence by the OP.

Yes and 3 other times which was really my point.

Mortyman
Topic Author

Sat May 28, 2016 12:17 pm

No bs in Polen ...

http://1.vgc.no/drpublish/images/article/2015/01/31/23386363/1/990/2214389_mms_4748139912_0_jpeg.jpg

N1120A

Sat May 28, 2016 5:46 pm

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 9):

Does the Montreal Convention or other treaty cap the liability of a passengers to the airline? I would hope so, given that treaties cap the airline's liability for the value of our life!

Good point.

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 25):

No bs in Polen ...

Maybe it was just cold?  

bobdino

Sat May 28, 2016 6:46 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 20):
Decent position to take, given that he is likely to counter ... they should have assured he didn't have access to his duty free.

He's a 51 year old adult and there would be ~200 odd pax on that plane. There's a point in everyone's life where they have to take responsibility for their actions. And it's a lot earlier than the age of 51.

JoeCanuck

Sat May 28, 2016 9:58 pm

I think booze on flights is much more trouble than it's worth...not that serving booze was the problem this time since he drank his duty free stash.

Treat it like smoking. If every airline bans booze, then it doesn't put any airline at a competitive advantage or disadvantage. Ironically, you can be prevented from flying if you're deemed too drunk, but you can get smashed while in the air.

Though, I do think some individual airline is going to get smart and ban drinking and it will be a huge boon for them. The vast majority of people don't drink on flights and those that don't want to be flying with drunks, will be inclined to fly a dry airline.

Just to be clear...I'm not anti booze....just anti booze on airliners.

RamblinMan

Re: Pax On Norwegian Flight Can Expect A Big Fine

Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:08 pm

I love how every time anything like this comes up there's the same crowd of prohibitionists on here that start screaming "ban alcohol!" Like the majority of us that enjoy having a few drinks to pass the time and have never once caused a scene should lose that privilege because of one idiot.

Also did you all miss that part where he was drinking his duty-free alcohol, NOT alcohol served to him onboard? Banning alcohol sales would just lead to more of that, and then you really can't control it. Prohibition rarely, if ever, accomplishes anything. Serving alcohol generates revenue and at least allows the crew to keep an eye on the drinkers.

BobPatterson

Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:59 pm

RamblinMan wrote:
I love how every time anything like this comes up there's the same crowd of prohibitionists on here that start screaming "ban alcohol!".

Just one little problem...... it didn't happen here.

Three people did raise the possibility of a ban, as an intellectual exercise, but did not actually argue for one. None of the three appears to be a prohibitionist, nor did any of them "scream" their views.

Time to calm down?

MartijnNL

Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:51 pm

Mortyman wrote:
The flight to Bangkok had to be canceled and the plane made an emergency landing to get rid of the looming 51-year-old.

An emergency landing? More like an unscheduled landing if you ask me. Or was the aircraft itself in danger?

Adipocere

Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:27 pm

Haha a fine would definitely better than a Norwegian "jail"?? Is that on a beach on Phi Phi Island too? Don't the guards pass around Margaritas to inmates watching cable TV and playing Xbox?

spacecadet

Re: RE: Pax On Norwegian Flight Can Expect A Big Fine

Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:57 pm

rbavfan wrote:
If you cant survive a couple hours on a flight without drinking because your flying and need to get drunk, Dont Fly! To many problems because some jerk can't act like an adult.

These two sentences of yours are unrelated to each other. Alcohol doesn't turn people into jerks. People are either jerks or they're not. Plenty of people fly and drink with no problem. People who do have problems are people who are jerks to begin with.

I just got off a flight last night where three completely sober people almost got into a fistfight while waiting to deplane because somebody's bag hit a woman in the head. Two guys verbally berated and physically yelled at/cursed out this woman in front of everybody when she told them to be careful because they'd just hit her. From the sound of it, they'd been having problems with each other all through the flight. They had had no drinks - they were just jerks. Some people just are.

Every time something like this happens, there are people who instantly blame the alcohol and call to ban it. So what do you blame when people act like jerks *without* alcohol?

Alcohol doesn't change a person's personality. If somebody acts like a jerk when drunk, they also act like a jerk when sober. What airlines should (and do) ban is acting like a jerk. Removing alcohol from flights is not going to solve the problem of unruly passengers.

mjoelnir

Re: RE: Pax On Norwegian Flight Can Expect A Big Fine

Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:04 am

spacecadet wrote:
rbavfan wrote:

These two sentences of yours are unrelated to each other. Alcohol doesn't turn people into jerks. People are either jerks or they're not. Plenty of people fly and drink with no problem. People who do have problems are people who are jerks to begin with.

I just got off a flight last night where three completely sober people almost got into a fistfight while waiting to deplane because somebody's bag hit a woman in the head. Two guys verbally berated and physically yelled at/cursed out this woman in front of everybody when she told them to be careful because they'd just hit her. From the sound of it, they'd been having problems with each other all through the flight. They had had no drinks - they were just jerks. Some people just are.

Every time something like this happens, there are people who instantly blame the alcohol and call to ban it. So what do you blame when people act like jerks *without* alcohol?

Alcohol doesn't change a person's personality. If somebody acts like a jerk when drunk, they also act like a jerk when sober. What airlines should (and do) ban is acting like a jerk. Removing alcohol from flights is not going to solve the problem of unruly passengers.

Alcohol is a personality altering drug, accept the fact.

I would not ban drinking on board, but rather ban bringing alcohol on board, it is anyway a fire hazard. The crew can than control how much people drink. There should rather be duty free shops on arrival, if people need to come with alcohol from a flight.

aemoreira1981

Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:14 am

This fine sounds carefully calculated since the flight had to be canceled. Could they have asked for more for the returning passengers and flight crew, or was a plane ferried empty to BKK?

VS11

Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:26 am

I wonder if there are insurance products airlines can buy to cover expenses in cases like this - generally, passenger-induced cancellations and disruptions. Any insight would be appreciated!

bergkampsticket

Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:31 am

I think given the inconvenience and torment he's caused to the other passengers, crew and airline he's quite lucky if that's all he has to pay.

RamblinMan

Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:12 am

BobPatterson wrote:
RamblinMan wrote:
I love how every time anything like this comes up there's the same crowd of prohibitionists on here that start screaming "ban alcohol!".

Three people did raise the possibility of a ban, as an intellectual exercise, but did not actually argue for one. None of the three appears to be a prohibitionist, nor did any of them "scream" their views.

Time to calm down?

Read the post above mine.

BobPatterson

Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:32 am

RamblinMan wrote:
BobPatterson wrote:
RamblinMan wrote:

Time to calm down?

Read the post above mine.

I did read it before posting the first time and I read it again now.

JoeCanuck said: "Just to be clear...I'm not anti booze....just anti booze on airliners."

He is not a prohibitionist and he did not scream his views. He also does not constitute a crowd.

He certainly did indicate that he would be more comfortable with no booze on airplanes.

By the way, I don't drink but I do smoke. My vice is banned, so why not yours?

Have a nice day. :-)

RamblinMan

Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:58 am

BobPatterson wrote:

I did read it before posting the first time and I read it again now.

JoeCanuck said: "Just to be clear...I'm not anti booze....just anti booze on airliners."

He is not a prohibitionist and he did not scream his views. He also does not constitute a crowd.

He certainly did indicate that he would be more comfortable with no booze on airplanes.

By the way, I don't drink but I do smoke. My vice is banned, so why not yours?

Have a nice day. :-)

"I'm anti booze on airliners." So he wants it...what's the word...prohibited? Hence why I referred to him as a prohibitionist.

You may not realize this because your sense of smell has been severely damaged, a common effect of cigarette smoke, but your vice smells god-awful and bothers everybody around you. It has nothing to do with your behavior, you could be the nicest guy in the world but you smoking in a plane would make others breathe your smoke. My vice isn't a problem in and of itself, the only problem is people who can't behave themselves after partaking. That's why.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos