Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dubaiamman243
Topic Author

Emirates Crew At The Ellen Show

Tue May 24, 2016 5:34 am

Emirates cabin crew will be appearing at The Ellen show today. Emirates has posted a photo on their Facebook page without explaining what to expect. Along with the cabin crews there was a Female Captain with them in the photo.

This is another creative way of marketing towards the American market.
The next airline CEO :crossfingers:

jfklucky777

RE: Emirates Crew At The Ellen Show

Tue May 24, 2016 5:41 am

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mngUW91Cf7w

Each audience member got a free round trip ticket to DXB! Good advertising.

Gazdon121

Tue May 24, 2016 8:00 am

This is great. Would it be cheaper to do this then make a promo video and pay for TV slots

PanHAM

Tue May 24, 2016 8:21 am

Still amazing how Americans are dressing up to attend such a Show.   As to the crew, they all look alike. Really scary.  
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

Aeri28

Tue May 24, 2016 9:40 am

I'm sure Emirates approached the Ellen show, its a highly rated show, but still, how many of these people are actually going or want to go to Dubai? I'm well traveled but have zero interest in Dubai. Maybe they can use the tickets for destinations onwards from Dubai, say a European destination connecting in DXB. I wonder what the stipulations are. Pay for add on?

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 4):
Still amazing how Americans are dressing up to attend such a Show.   As to the crew, they all look alike. Really scary.  

LOL. What exactly do you mean? Since your English isn't quite clear, I hope you don't think the typical audience at 'Wetten Dass' should be what the world emulates. or the hosts and guests regularly on Frühstücksfernsehen or a host of other German talk shows? One can find videos ..

If mistaken and you think they are amazing, mein Fehler!

(I just simply like to make sure others look in their own backyard first  

AirIndia

Tue May 24, 2016 9:49 am

Quoting Aeri28 (Reply 4):
(I just simply like to make sure others look in their own backyard first  

Thats a good thing to do, and also shd make sure that one does not cite own example as universal fact..... like this:

I'm well traveled but have zero interest in Dubai.

to justify this:

, but still, how many of these people are actually going or want to go to Dubai?

Just saying.....

JRadier

Tue May 24, 2016 9:56 am

LOL. What exactly do you mean? Since your English isn't quite clear,

I read it as a load of sarcasm  

mercure1

Tue May 24, 2016 10:04 am

how many of these people are actually going or want to go to Dubai? I'm well traveled but have zero interest in Dubai. Maybe they can use the tickets for destinations onwards from Dubai, say a European destination connecting in DXB. I wonder what the stipulations are. Pay for add on?

Just because you have no interest has not stopped 602.000 of fellow American citizens from visiting Dubai in 2015.
Matter of fact USA visitors are the 5th largest group of visitors to the Emirate.

https://www.dsc.gov.ae/en-us
mercure f-wtcc

Planesmart

Tue May 24, 2016 10:42 am

Didn't QF do the same on the Ellen Show a year or two ago?

ACDC8

Tue May 24, 2016 11:05 am

Quoting mercure1 (Reply 7):
Just because you have no interest has not stopped 602.000 of fellow American citizens from visiting Dubai in 2015.
Matter of fact USA visitors are the 5th largest group of visitors to the Emirate.

That doesn't sound like very many at all. I honestly would have expected more. Interesting.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

RyanairGuru

Tue May 24, 2016 11:31 am

Quoting Planesmart (Reply 8):

Not really the same, Qantas was the major sponsor for her Australian tour so had their branding splashed around the Australian filmed episodes. Incidentally Qantas was also the sponsor of Oprah's visit when she came here a few years before that.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

usxguy

Tue May 24, 2016 12:22 pm

the U.A.E. doesn't nearly have the draw that Disney World does, and the U.A.E. also doesn't do much tourism marketing. However, as someone who has been there 3 times now, I had fun on each of my trips and Dubai is quite the amazing city. I'd gladly go back and spend a few more days.
xx

TVNWZ

Tue May 24, 2016 12:51 pm

but still, how many of these people are actually going or want to go to Dubai? I'm well traveled but have zero interest in Dubai.

Seriously? A free vacation is a FREE vacation. Well, you still have to pay the taxes. But, still.

United_fan

Tue May 24, 2016 1:01 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 3):
Still amazing how Americans are dressing up to attend such a Show

I know when I went to see Jay Leno multiple times,the studio was freezing cold.
"Suspicion is a matter of opinion"

reffado

Tue May 24, 2016 1:14 pm

Quoting United_fan (Reply 13):

Studios are usually freezing because of equipment. If anything, I'm surprised there's people not wearing full-length pants!

About the show, great advertising. I hope to make a trip to the Emirates in the coming years. Been waiting for EK to stat that MIA flight  

FriscoHeavy

Tue May 24, 2016 1:21 pm

Well, a lot of people do. It's a great place. I went in 2008 and I am taking my wife to spend 3 days there in early September. We are very much looking forward to it.
Whatever

aviationaware

Tue May 24, 2016 1:52 pm

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 15):
It's a great place.

It is if you like an unauthentic, artificial plastic environment with lots of fake gold appliqués.

As for the topic, nothing too outrageous or creative, companies from other industries give away stuff on shows like Ellen all the time.

I would question the sense behind such a thing for EK. For US travelers, EK is an option to a very limited choice of destination. Makes no sense to Europe or Australia, nor to most of Asia.

Some sense for travelers to Africa and India, both of which are not typical mass tourism destinations for Americans, and to both of those markets local competition from American airlines is rather limited to say the least.
Travelers to the Middle East are one group for wich EK makes the most sense, yet those countries, and hence also large parts of their expat congregations, are ultra conservative (making even Ted Cruz seem like a social leftist); so I would question if they'd watch or respect such a liberal show.

All in all, while it definitely plays to EK's image (and to some degree even the entire ME's image) by putting a female captain on TV and giving out freebies; I'd question the impact it has on those consumers most likely to consider flying Emirates.

bgm

Tue May 24, 2016 1:55 pm

In response, Delta is also going to send their best to the Ellen Show tomorrow....

No free trips, but as long as the audience knows they are there primarily for their safety, they might get a packet of pretzels thrown their way.

incitatus

Tue May 24, 2016 2:03 pm

You would be surprised what good marketing can do. I have talked to several people who say Dubai is high on their list of potential vacation spots, even if just for a couple of days as part of a longer trip. In spite of my being hype-averse, Dubai can be interesting for two or three days.

Quoting aviationaware (Reply 16):
It is if you like an unauthentic, artificial plastic environment with lots of fake gold appliqués.

That sounds like another desert city: Vegas!!!

Actually the similarities are plenty, even though Dubai has no Mustang Ranch nearby!

Quoting bgm (Reply 17):
In response, Delta is also going to send their best to the Ellen Show tomorrow....

That is just hilarious!!!!
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

lightsaber

Tue May 24, 2016 2:37 pm

Quoting mercure1 (Reply 7):

I want to go! Free is even better.

Quoting usxguy (Reply 11):
the U.A.E. doesn't nearly have the draw that Disney World does

You missed our side discussions of a Disney in the UAE.

Lightsaber
I cannot wait to get vaccinated to live again! Warning: I simulated that it takes 50%+ vaccinated to protect the vaccinated and 75%+ vaccinated to protect the vac-hesitant.

United_fan

Tue May 24, 2016 3:18 pm

Quoting reffado (Reply 14):
Studios are usually freezing because of equipment. If anything, I'm surprised there's people not wearing full-length pants!

I know. I went during a heat wave in LA,and people were looking at me funny because I brought a hoodie. Once we got inside they knew why.
"Suspicion is a matter of opinion"

727LOVER

Tue May 24, 2016 3:36 pm

Quoting reffado (Reply 14):
I hope to make a trip to the Emirates in the coming years. Been waiting for EK to stat that MIA flight

Can't you just drive from Miami to Orlando?   
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

SCQ83

Tue May 24, 2016 3:39 pm

I think most Americans don't really have a lot of interest about Dubai.

The US is likely the most insular developed country in the world. Dubai is geographically too far, and many Americans (even Europeans do) have misconceptions about Dubai ("women cannot drive there" etc) since many people mix everything in the ME.

Europeans usually have more interest in Dubai because Euros take more holidays and travel more and it is far closer to Europe than to the US. Also I have the feeling that there are far more Europeans working in the UAE so there is a "vicious" circle (the friend of my cousin works in Abu Dhabi, so it can't be all that bad). The US is much wealthier than Europe and most Americans wouldn't even think about working in the UAE (not to talk about the double taxation, but that is another story), so that personal connection is also missing.

[Edited 2016-05-24 08:41:25]

TVNWZ

Tue May 24, 2016 3:46 pm

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 22):

And that is why they are offering a free trip. Drum up some business. You have to start somewhere to fill up those 380's.
And is it me, or do those FAs and pilot look straight out of Central Casting? I wonder...

LAXintl

Tue May 24, 2016 3:46 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 9):
That doesn't sound like very many at all. I honestly would have expected more. Interesting.

600,000 is a big number for Americans.

For a nation that does not travel much abroad, 600,000 means more Americans visited Dubai than visited Hong Kong, Peru, Korea, Taiwan, Switzerland, etc.

And I have no doubt people to consider the Gulf. A colleague of mine that I would have never imagined travel to the region decided to make a long weekend of it with his wife in AUH thanks to great fare they saw on Etihad out of LAX.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

N415XJ

Tue May 24, 2016 3:54 pm

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 22):

Exactly. I'm an American and really like going to Dubai for a few days vacation every now and then. It's a neat, safe city with lots of great malls, nice resorts, and amazing restaurants. But everyone needs to remember that Dubai isn't meant for Americans. It's meant for people from India, MENA, Eastern Europe, Russia, etc to get the 'huge mall, restaurants, shops, beaches, glitz and glamour' experience without going too far afield or spending too much money to get there. A lot of people deride Dubai for being 'fake'. Well, the new part of town at least is kind of meant to be- that's kind of the whole appeal. Besides, Dubai has plenty of culture if you get away from the Burj or the Palm.

SCQ83

Tue May 24, 2016 4:00 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 24):

For a nation that does not travel much abroad, 600,000 means more Americans visited Dubai than visited Hong Kong, Peru, Korea, Taiwan, Switzerland, etc.

Many of those Americans are Arabs, Indians or Pakistanese with US passport. This is not a critique but what I try to say is for many ethnic groups in the US (Whites, Latinos, Blacks...) the UAE is really not interesting. It would be good to have a split.

Quoting N415XJ (Reply 25):
Exactly. I'm an American and really like going to Dubai for a few days vacation every now and then. It's a neat, safe city with lots of great malls, nice resorts, and amazing restaurants. But everyone needs to remember that Dubai isn't meant for Americans. It's meant for people from India, MENA, Eastern Europe, Russia, etc to get the 'huge mall, restaurants, shops, beaches, glitz and glamour' experience without going too far afield or spending too much money to get there. A lot of people deride Dubai for being 'fake'.

Indeed. In a way Dubai provides an "American" experience for Europeans and Middle Eastern / Indians.

That was exactly my point about working in the region. An American working in New York "sick" of the high cost of living and taxes can move to Houston with lower taxes, better weather and good job opportunities. A British from London or a German from Munich are really "stuck" in there, so the idea of a tax-free city with good weather is more interesting.

So the UAE is much better suited for Europeans, Middle Easterns and Sub-Asians than for Americans.

SCQ83

Tue May 24, 2016 4:06 pm

Quoting TVNWZ (Reply 23):
And that is why they are offering a free trip. Drum up some business. You have to start somewhere to fill up those 380's.

Yes, but there is a limit.

Europeans may flock Benidorm in Spain looking for sun, but obviously not many Americans travelling to Spain visit Benidorm. Or conversely, Europeans are not visiting Myrtle Beach.

So the point is travelling 14 hours to visit huge malls (America is the birthplace of the mall after all) and the Atlantis (which is available in the Bahamas). I have been a few times to DXB and obviously it has more attractions and it is exotic for someone who has never visited the region, but the equation "distance-different things to do/see" for Americans is far worse than for Europeans.

andrefranca

Tue May 24, 2016 4:13 pm

Quoting aviationaware (Reply 16):
are ultra conservative (making even Ted Cruz seem like a social leftist); so I would question if they'd watch or respect such a liberal show.

I kind of agree, they try to show the west "they're like us" but try to kiss someone you love in public there.... jail, or even worse if you're a LGBT person...

Quoting incitatus (Reply 18):
That sounds like another desert city: Vegas!!!

But at least in LAS I could walk with alcohol in my hands (local laws are against it but they're ignored mostly) and can shout and have fun with your friends, you can dress tiny clothes if you will, the are pin up shows, diversity on sexuality etc...

In the middle east I always felt I had to be someone else, it was good to learn about the culture, but Would I work/live there? hmmmm only if the $ was really really good! and I wouldn't last long there.

reffado

Tue May 24, 2016 4:17 pm

Quoting 727LOVER (Reply 21):

You're right! I should probably plan around there. I just don't wanna spend $300 on airport parking :lol:

tjcab

Tue May 24, 2016 5:54 pm

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 26):
Many of those Americans are Arabs, Indians or Pakistanese with US passport. This is not a critique but what I try to say is for many ethnic groups in the US (Whites, Latinos, Blacks...) the UAE is really not interesting. It would be good to have a split.

First of all, do you have data to back your claim? And secondly, really? An American is an American, period.

AA777223

Tue May 24, 2016 6:08 pm

I have to say I'm pretty shocked by all these people who think Americans are so xenophobic. Perhaps because I live in Houston, which has a large international, diverse population and the oil industry, but everyone I know goes to Dubai or seems interested in it. Most of my friends are young professionals, but this vision of all Americans as ignorant oafs who don't want to leave their municipality is far from universal. I went to Dubai twice in six weeks, last year, just for fun.

I suppose there is a segment of the population who has no interest in a free vacation, but for everyone I know, they'd jump at a chance to take a free vacation to a new or interesting place. Add to that, the allure (which I find more mysterious than anything) that EK is some kind of ultra luxurious airline, and most people I know would find the idea most intriguing. I suppose it is interesting to hear the viewpoints of those from different walks of life, but I think it is safe to say, specifically to our friends not from the US, that not all of us dislike, fear or distrust Dubai or any other place, for that matter. Most of my friends wished they could travel more.

Dubai isn't my favorite place in the world, but I've been to WAY worse.
A318/19/20/21, A300, A332/3, A343/6, A388, L1011, DC-9, DC-10, MD-11, MD-80, B722, B732/3/4/5/7/8/9, B743/4/4M, B752/3, B762/3/4, B772/E/W, B788/9, F-100, CRJ-200/700/900, ERJ-135/145/175/190, DH-8, ATR-72, DO-328, BAE-146

ridgid727

Tue May 24, 2016 6:14 pm

With Ellen being a Lesbian, would she be put to death in the United Arab Emirates if she were to travel there, or are Lesbian celebrities exempt from their law?

jasoncrh

Tue May 24, 2016 6:18 pm

I lived in Abu Dhabi and worked there for a little over a year. Great experience, very interenational and cosmopolitan. there's NO double taxation as
somebody mentioned up-thread. There are no UAE income taxes, and you get a considerable USA tax exemption.
Overall, it was an amazing experience. Great travel opportunities. Very diverse, interesting place to live with people from all over the world.
While living there I had several friends come visit. usually as part of a larger trip to India or Asia or something like that. They all liked it
but definitely said they preferred Abu Dhabi to Dubai. While I, living in Abu Dhabi, appreciated Dubai for what it had to offer, I really wouldn't
consider going there from the US for a vacation. Perhaps for a day or two as a stop off on the way to India or Bangkok or something like that. But never as an end to itself.
But that's me. I'd recommend stopping off for a day or two in the UAE if headed in that direction. And, UAE is a convenient stop off point from the US East coast to Southeast Asia (SIN or BKK) - probably more convenient than going through NRT.

N415XJ

Tue May 24, 2016 6:43 pm

Quoting ridgid727 (Reply 32):
With Ellen being a Lesbian, would she be put to death in the United Arab Emirates if she were to travel there, or are Lesbian celebrities exempt from their law?

Unless she was either making out with her wife in public or went to a police station and said "Good Day. I'm a lesbian and wish to turn myself in", how would anyone really know? I highly, highly doubt that they keep a list of 'known gays' tacked up on the wall in case they decide to visit because honestly it's just a waste of time. If she did get caught by doing a public display of affection, she and her wife would get shipped out of the country and told to never return, which is the procedure whenever a foreigner commits any type of crime. Federally, the UAE has the death penalty for homosexuality, but Dubai does not and in any case the death penalty would not be applied to a foregner. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_the_United_Arab_Emirates

blueflyer

Tue May 24, 2016 7:42 pm

Quoting AA777223 (Reply 31):
I have to say I'm pretty shocked by all these people who think Americans are so xenophobic.

No one mentioned xenophobia. Compared to other developed countries, relatively few Americans have a passport and have traveled overseas, and that is after 9/11 when a passport requirement was added to travel to Canada and the Caribbean Islands.

Call it uninterested, if you want.

rnav2dlrey

Tue May 24, 2016 8:02 pm

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 28):
I kind of agree, they try to show the west "they're like us" but try to kiss someone you love in public there.... jail, or even worse if you're a LGBT person...

which is why i find it questionable that ellen and her show would embrace this PR stunt.

don't get me wrong - i think it's brilliant by EK, and will grind the gears of the US3 just a little bit more (which i enjoy watching).

SCQ83

Tue May 24, 2016 8:22 pm

Quoting jasoncrh (Reply 33):
I lived in Abu Dhabi and worked there for a little over a year. Great experience, very interenational and cosmopolitan. there's NO double taxation as
somebody mentioned up-thread. There are no UAE income taxes, and you get a considerable USA tax exemption.

As an US citizen you have to pay taxes on everything above +-$90k a year. Earning that in Dubai is not that uncommon for a qualified Western citizen. However Europeans do not have to pay anything to their governments.

So an US citizen has (overall) lower taxes at home and has to pay ""some"" tax to the US government while working in Dubai. An European citizen which (overall) has higher taxes in their home country (compared to the US) has a completely tax free salary, no matter he gets $50k or $250k a year. If you make $100k in Houston (with low taxes and low cost of living) and are moving to Dubai for - the AED is pegged to the USD - $150k (hence paying taxes on $60k) is a very different story than being at EUR75k in Munich (where you would pay half your salary in taxes) with high cost of living moving for a completely tax-free $150k.

If you crunch the numbers, for the Bavarian in my example moving to Dubai would be much bigger salary increase. On average for an American, Dubai is less appealing than for an European citizen, also salary/tax-wise. Of course it doesn't mean that there are many Americans in Dubai (however it would be interesting to compare it to the population of the country; the US has +300M people).

Quoting AA777223 (Reply 31):
[quote=tjcab,reply=30]First of all, do you have data to back your claim? And secondly, really? An American is an American, period.

Of course I don't know whether the UAE checks the place of right of US citizens entering their country (and if they do that I certainly don't have access to that information). So that data is clearly based on my own experience.

That 600k in UAE might look like many people (OK more than Switzerland, very good), but if most of those people have Indian, Middle Eastern, Iranian descent, they would visit, live or gravitate around Dubai no matter what EK does. Dubai is the economic and social hub of the region and have plenty of people of those descents that have Western passports.

The case of Canada is extraordinary.

http://www.canada.com/story.html?id=...a759e4-0ff1-4ad5-a01d-fe09511986be

So imagine how many Canadians visit Lebanon every year! From your perspective, the Lebanese govt should be happy about the extraordinary number of "Canadian tourists". However how many non-Lebanese Canadian visit Lebanon?

In this case EK obviously tries to capture (like those smart Jennifer Aniston adds) those Americans with no link to the region (India, Pakistan, Iran, Arab countries) that know nothing about Dubai and the region. Many of which however might have visited Switzerland  .

Quoting jasoncrh (Reply 33):
somebody mentioned up-thread. There are no UAE incom

Being uninterested in a place doesn't mean to be xenophobic, you are making a biased connection. Probably the average Swedish (which is not a very xenophobic country) has little interest in visiting Dallas (contrary to NYC, LAX, SFO, MIA...), yet it does not mean they are against the lovely people of Texas.  

scbriml

Tue May 24, 2016 9:07 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 9):
That doesn't sound like very many at all.

It doesn't?  Wow! It's over 1,600 each and every day.

Quoting usxguy (Reply 11):
the U.A.E. also doesn't do much tourism marketing.

It does plenty. You just need to see it.

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 24):

It is.

Quoting tjcab (Reply 30):
First of all, do you have data to back your claim? And secondly, really? An American is an American, period.

Really, indeed!   
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

lightsaber

Tue May 24, 2016 11:15 pm

I'm still waiting to hear about a Disneyland at the Dubai/Abu Dhabi border. That would bring in Americans .

Quoting scbariml (Reply 38):

It doesn't?   It's over 1,600 each and every day.

Exactly. This appearance was to increase the number. Smart move.

To others:
Americans have tons of tourist options. This will help nab those flying to India.

How many new countries the US citizen visit each year? Not many and they tend to go where a friend or advertising led them. Often to a cruise. How many other mid-east or Indian destinations port where Americans trust the food & water?

1,600 a day is just the start.

Quoting TVNWZ (Reply 23):
And is it me, or do those FAs and pilot look straight out of Central Casting? I wonder...

EK should send the ones who would attract the most business. This is advertising.

Lightsaber
I cannot wait to get vaccinated to live again! Warning: I simulated that it takes 50%+ vaccinated to protect the vaccinated and 75%+ vaccinated to protect the vac-hesitant.

Prinair

Wed May 25, 2016 1:38 am

Ellen has lost me as a viewer....
PRINAIR - Puerto Rico International Airlines

DiamondFlyer

Wed May 25, 2016 1:52 am

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 35):
No one mentioned xenophobia. Compared to other developed countries, relatively few Americans have a passport and have traveled overseas, and that is after 9/11 when a passport requirement was added to travel to Canada and the Caribbean Islands.

Because Americans don't have to travel outside of their country to see a land vastly different than where they live. The US is one of the most geographically diverse countries, why would an American want to venture somewhere outside of their country if they can find the same thing without leaving?

-DiamondFlyer
From my cold, dead hands

enzedder

Wed May 25, 2016 1:58 am

Quoting DiamondFlyer (Reply 41):
Because Americans don't have to travel outside of their country to see a land vastly different than where they live. The US is one of the most geographically diverse countries, why would an American want to venture somewhere outside of their country if they can find the same thing without leaving?

maybe to widen their horizon, experience different cultures and ways of life, learn from others and enrich their own lives with new perspectives?

cheers enzedder

incitatus

Wed May 25, 2016 2:04 am

Why are these folks singling out the US? Most large countries are insular: US, Brazil, China, Russia, India and possibly others. It is the nature of large countries.

There are some I do not regard as insular, but they are a bit different: Australia has a large and recent immigrant population. Most of Canada's population lives within 150 miles from the US border.
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

dash400

Wed May 25, 2016 2:10 am

Quoting FriscoHeavy (Reply 15):

I LOVE it there too -- and my first time was in June/July 2008 -- SO HOT (flew in from Kuwait to AUH) -- and now visited 3 times, have made friends there and love the city. MANY of my friends / family dream of going there. It seems so exotic to them....even though I tell them my dream is to go to the Rwanda gorilla reserve or more deep Africa destinations. Dubai and Abu Dhabi are great places to visit, though!

PanHAM

Wed May 25, 2016 5:17 am

Quoting United_fan (Reply 13):

I know when I went to see Jay Leno multiple times,the studio was freezing cold.

I actually stole that sentence from Jay Leno. He said that to a member of the audience whom he asked to come on the stage. That guy was wearing Shorts and a muscle Shirt and the remark was ironic.

10 years ago I would have said that a European would not go to attenmd a TV Show in beach wear while the host wears a suit. So, IMHO Leno was right with his remark. Now, Ellen wears smart casual and the flight attendants are dressed up like a mix between Barbie Doll and wonderful Jeannie. They look amazingly similar and in 10 years they might come out of a 3D Printer. Makes me wonder if Janet operates secret direct flights between LAS and DXB. Or, they might be simply plastic already today.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

AirIndia

Wed May 25, 2016 6:40 am

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 39):
I'm still waiting to hear about a Disneyland at the Dubai/Abu Dhabi border. That would bring in Americans .

Not exactly DisneyLand, but this is going live in OCtober: http://www.dubaiparksandresorts.com/EN

scbriml

Wed May 25, 2016 8:42 am

why would an American want to venture somewhere outside of their country if they can find the same thing without leaving?

Really? Because there's, literally, a whole World of experiences and diversity out there that you will not find anywhere in the US. Some people, even some Americans, embrace that and enjoy it.

Obviously, you'd have to leave all your guns at home, so that might be an issue for some.  wink 

[Edited 2016-05-25 01:43:14]
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

lightsaber

Wed May 25, 2016 4:25 pm

Quoting AirIndia (Reply 46):
Not exactly DisneyLand, but this is going live in OCtober: http://www.dubaiparksandresorts.com/EN

Neat. I have an annual pass to the California Legoland for my kids and myself (including water park), I just wouldn't fly there. People fly for Disneyland and now WizardingWorld. Everything else is a "2nd day park.".

If Dubai wants a significant bump in tourism, they need a currently known theme park (Universal, six flags, or Disneyland). While long term Dubai land will thrive, it took an unprecedented marketing blitz to launch Disneyland. (My mom attended a few months after opening) due to the extensive national TV coverage (R.g., Frank Sinatra and his son driving Autopia on the first day). All Disneyland had to compete against for PR was Bush Gardens and non-themed who didn't do national advertising. (Bush Gardens the Beer, not the other way around).

With Disneyland, Universal Studios. and Six Flags having their media machines, Dubai needs to do more today. Or... Get one of those companies onboard and ride their media machines. The Ellen show helps, but Disney still markets better...

Lightsaber

Eagleboy

Wed May 25, 2016 4:47 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 3):
As to the crew, they all look alike. Really scary.  

Its called grooming standards