Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LTenEleven
Topic Author

IAG/BA Looking To Takeover Wizz Air And Others

Wed May 25, 2016 4:07 pm

There are some reports in the press that IAG's next takeover target could be Wizz Air:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...over-qatars-stake-building-in-iag/

"IAG is also in codeshare talks with China Eastern and China Southern and is thought to be considering bids for Wizz Air, Hungary’s low-cost airline, Norwegian Air, and the UK’s Monarch Airlines."

aaexecplat

RE: IAG/BA Looking To Takeover Wizz Air And Others

Wed May 25, 2016 4:10 pm

Norwegian? Probably just to shut them down...

LTenEleven
Topic Author

Wed May 25, 2016 4:14 pm

Quoting aaexecplat (Reply 1):
Norwegian? Probably just to shut them down...

Certainly not:
http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...n-europes-next-airline-con-425479/

SCQ83

Wed May 25, 2016 4:17 pm

WizzAir in IAG would be fantastic.

They could replicate Vueling in BCN with WizzAir in BUD as well as IAG's presence in Eastern Europe, which is a weak area for the group.

IMO the perfect takeovers for IAG would be 1. Wizzair (increase market in Eastern Europe), 2. Finnair (increase market in Scandinavia, Russia and long-haul to Asia) and 3. Volotea (increase market in France, Italy and Greece). Which in a way or another are weak areas for IAG (at least compared to AFKL or Lufthansa)

That would be a domination of Europe  Smile

[Edited 2016-05-25 09:20:15]

B747forever

Wed May 25, 2016 4:20 pm

For a take over I would say AY makes the most sense for IAG/BA. Would give them a great hub and coverage of Asia.
Also, wouldnt mind if the also grabbed SAS. That way they would lock down the whole Scandinavian market. However, that might be harder to integrate into IAG as SAS operations are quite spread out over ARN/OSL/CPH.
Work Hard, Fly Right

LTenEleven
Topic Author

Wed May 25, 2016 4:21 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 4):
Also, wouldnt mind if the also grabbed SAS. That way they would lock down the whole Scandinavian market

That would definitely be great for the consumer.  

flyDTW1992

Wed May 25, 2016 4:21 pm

Would Skyteam take issue with IAG codesharing with China Eastern and China Southern?
Now you're flying smart

B747forever

Wed May 25, 2016 4:23 pm

Quoting LTenEleven (Reply 5):
That would definitely be great for the consumer.  

Well, as we can see in the US, in the end nobody cares about the consumer. Besides that, you will still have DY with its large operations at those airports.
Work Hard, Fly Right

SCQ83

Wed May 25, 2016 4:32 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 7):
Well, as we can see in the US, in the end nobody cares about the consumer. Besides that, you will still have DY with its large operations at those airports.

SAS from the outside looks like a big mess with 1) three hubs (and very political reasons behind) 2) the emergence of Norwegian, 3) a bunch of thin routes and 4) being in Star Alliance. SAS long-haul is pretty much all destinations flown by IAG and most of them with Norwegian competing.

Finnair could work as DUB and EI to the East. They already offer a number of Eastern destinations not served by IAG (Chongqing, Fukuoka, Krabi, Ho Chi Minh, Nagoya, Osaka, Phuket, Xi'An, Yekaterinburg) and being the closest EU hub to Asia could work very well to "free" passengers connecting in LHR to Asia (so fly someone DUB-HEL-SIN instead of DUB-LHR-SIN).

B747forever

Wed May 25, 2016 4:42 pm

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 8):
Finnair could work as DUB and EI to the East. They already offer a number of Eastern destinations not served by IAG (Chongqing, Fukuoka, Krabi, Ho Chi Minh, Nagoya, Osaka, Phuket, Xi'An, Yekaterinburg) and being the closest EU hub to Asia could work very well to "free" passengers connecting in LHR to Asia (so fly someone DUB-HEL-SIN instead of DUB-LHR-SIN).

As you say, AY/HEL could be the EI/DUB of Asia for BA. With hubs at DUB, HEL and MAD to flow pax to North/South America and Asia, BA can then take care of the lucrative OD at LHR.

SAS was more a wish. I know that it doesnt fit into IAG and will be hard for any carrier to integrate into their business model.
Work Hard, Fly Right

LHRFlyer

Wed May 25, 2016 5:10 pm

I can see IAG being interested in Wizz Air. Do we think IAG would keep the Wizz Air brand or merge it into Vueling?

Finnair has obvious strategic value to IAG. However, it's current level of profitability is some way off what IAG would regard as acceptable to justify investment by IAG.

finnishway

Wed May 25, 2016 5:20 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 4):
For a take over I would say AY makes the most sense for IAG/BA.

Complete takeover is not possible at the moment. The government of Finland just announced that they are ready to sell majority of Finnair, but would like to keep at least third of the stakes. But there is still a little problem. Finnair and its Asian strategy relies on air transport agreement between Finland and Russia and currently that agreement requires that majority of Finnair must be owned by Finnish companies or people. So its also about politics.

[Edited 2016-05-25 10:22:01]

SCQ83

Wed May 25, 2016 5:54 pm

Quoting LHRFlyer (Reply 10):
I can see IAG being interested in Wizz Air. Do we think IAG would keep the Wizz Air brand or merge it into Vueling?

That is a good point. However Wizzair is very well stablished in Eastern Europe, where Vueling is not well known. Also both VY and W6 have a very unique image. And having both brands could create some "artificial" competition (such as BCN-BUD flown by both).

I can see it like Volkswagen taking over Skoda and SEAT car brands. They have their own niche markets and image (Skoda better stabilised in Eastern Europe and SEAT in Southern Europe) and create some "fake" competition (i.e. Seat Ibiza competing with Skoda Rapid).

B747forever

Wed May 25, 2016 6:08 pm

Quoting finnishway (Reply 11):

If the only owners of AY become IAG and the government, I am sure that IAG will get through many of its plans for AY as if they were sole owners.
Work Hard, Fly Right

LAX772LR

Wed May 25, 2016 7:00 pm

Quoting flyDTW1992 (Reply 6):
Would Skyteam take issue with IAG codesharing with China Eastern and China Southern?

I doubt SkyTeam would care about IAG codesharing on them in Asia.
They might have an issue with MU/CZ codesharing with IAG throughout Europe though.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

SelseyBill

Wed May 25, 2016 7:18 pm

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 8):

Absolutely right.

It it an obvious strategy for IAG to look for European hubs in the 'corners' of Europe.

DUB for North America, MAD for Central/ South America & North Africa, HEL for North Asia/China.

The only things that are missing is a hub in Italy/South Europe for Africa/Middle East; (develop VY @ FCO maybe); and something ATH or IST for Asia.

Add a true pan-European ULCC like W6, and they're good to go......

(Plus KLM maybe sometime.........)

SCQ83

Wed May 25, 2016 7:40 pm

Quoting SelseyBill (Reply 15):
DUB for North America, MAD for Central/ South America & North Africa, HEL for North Asia/China..

And BCN and BUD as "low-cost" hubs.   It is interesting to BCN and BUD have some similarities. Both Spanair and MALEV collapsed within days of difference in early 2012.

So the new terminals in both airports (T1 in BCN and T2 in BUD) were built for connections on mind. Yet only VY has started recently to make connections in BCN.

Both cities are ultra-turistic and city-break magnets which work very well with the low-cost model. So even if both airports have recovered the traffic lost by those bankruptcies (and BCN is in record, I think BUD too) there is somehow an under-utilised infrastructure.

The only things that are missing is a hub in Italy/South Europe for Africa/Middle East; (develop VY @ FCO maybe); and something ATH or IST for Asia.

That's somehow unnecessary IMO. The Middle East is not such a large market (and very competed with TK and ME3).

In any case Wizzair would be helpful for that area. They fly to the likes of SAW, DWC, TLV and GYD, so it would be a very good compliment to a more "premium" BA offer (flying to IST or DXB).

Also ironically having Wizzair on board would increase IAG's dominance of the London market, with Wizzair being so large at LTN. With W6 on board (and combined with the new VY routes), IAG would have 41 destinations out of LTN! with a big number of them not replicated from any other London airport.

RyanairGuru

Wed May 25, 2016 7:56 pm

Quoting flyDTW1992 (Reply 6):

Qantas has a JBA with China Eastern and also codeshares with China Southern and neither SkyTeam nor One World (Cathay) so much as commented.

The alliances are often overstated, they are nothing more than a convenient marketing tool. The alliances can't exert any control of their member airlines operations, which is why the airlines are free to codeshare with whoever they like. It might not be in the spirit of amity and cooperation the alliances like to promote, but there is nothing anyone can do. I remember some of the threads around the time that Qantas unceremoniously dumped BA and entered into the agreement with EK screaming for them to be "thrown out" of One World, completely missing the fact that all One World could do was roll their eyes and shrug.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

mwhcvt

Wed May 25, 2016 8:56 pm

I suggested WIZZ a few months back as a potential acquisition and merging it into VY would then create a very strong pan European LCC of a size big enough to take on U2 / FR / and potentially DY
Must think up a new one soon, slow moving brain trying to get into gear ;)

FlyCaledonian

Wed May 25, 2016 11:00 pm

Quoting LTenEleven (Thread starter):
"IAG is also in codeshare talks with China Eastern and China Southern and is thought to be considering bids for Wizz Air, Hungary’s low-cost airline, Norwegian Air, and the UK’s Monarch Airlines."

The last one is interesting. In the past BA allowed franchise carriers GB Airways and BMed be taken over by easyJet and BMI respectively. It has largely been assumed that easyJet, Jet2 or possibly even Norwegian might be interested in Monarch, but I don't recall anyone really suggesting IAG. However, it could be a good fit if merged into Vueling and it would give a presence back in the regions as well as at LTN. At LGW it would expand Vueling's presence, which would compliment the BA shorthaul operation. Monarch's A321s could either be dispersed across Vueling, or a few could be shifted to BA to upgauge some LHR flights and allow some A319s to head elsewhere within IAG. I even wonder if IAG might stand a better chance with the competition authorities than easyJet!

Wizz Air would definitely be another interesting acquisition, and given the dominance of Lufthansa and it's various offspring in Central Europe it would be a great way for IAG to get some penetration in this region.
Let's Go British Caledonian!

jeffh747

Thu May 26, 2016 12:35 am

The acquistion of Wizzair could really give the OneWorld network a decent boost in the Eastern European region, potentially replacing Malev. I can see such a move working out really well for IAG, and with the "artificial competition" some mentioned above.
ATR-72-600, A318 A319 A320 A320neo A321 A321neo A332 A333 B717 B727 B734 B73G B738 B739 B752 B762 B763 B772 B788 CRJ2 DHC6 DHC8-300 E145 E190 MD82 MD83 MD90 SF340B

GSTBA

Thu May 26, 2016 6:19 am

QR have in recent months announced a increased investment in IAG .

QR are also entering agreements and investing in IG in Italy and AT in North Africa. Maybe one of these two airlines could be the key to these missing hubs

airboeingbus

Thu May 26, 2016 7:08 am

I feel IAG is the General Motors of airlines, cresting a monopolised soup of airlines that pretend to be different.

Braybuddy

Thu May 26, 2016 7:47 am

Quoting airboeingbus (Reply 22):

I feel IAG is the General Motors of airlines, cresting a monopolised soup of airlines that pretend to be different.

We are witnessing the birth of a monstrous mediocrity which can only be bad for the consumer in the long run.

Egerton

Thu May 26, 2016 8:26 am

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 23):

We are witnessing the birth of a monstrous mediocrity which can only be bad for the consumer in the long run.

It is a free market, and customers can vote with their wallet. They increasingly vote for IAG airlines.

BlueShamu330s

Thu May 26, 2016 9:41 am

Aer Lingus will fit right in then on that basis, eh...   

Stop seizing every opportunity to have a dig; it's getting beyond tedious.
Flying around India

SCQ83

Thu May 26, 2016 9:49 am

Or it can just be the Volkswagen Group. BA is Audi, EI and IB are Volkswagen and Wizzair and Vueling could be Skoda and Seat  

AirbusA6

Thu May 26, 2016 11:09 am

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 26):

Or it can just be the Volkswagen Group. BA is Audi, EI and IB are Volkswagen and Wizzair and Vueling could be Skoda and Seat  

Thankfully planes don't operate on diesel engines 
it's the bus to stansted (now renamed National Express a6 to ruin my username)

KLMA330

Thu May 26, 2016 12:26 pm

British Imperial Airways!!!

IAG is building an airline Empire and I love it!!

tonystan

Thu May 26, 2016 1:05 pm

Ah get back to your water charge protests!
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

Cassi

Thu May 26, 2016 2:01 pm

"Considering bids for airlines A, B and C" is very, very far from actually announcing a deal. Such vague rumors have always been circulating about Wizzair. Its CEO has repeatedly stated that he doesn't want a takeover any time soon. The growth prospects of the bigger European LCC's are great and the recent record-breaking financial results of Ryanair etc. confirm that they can keep growing without any takeovers or alliances.

TWA85

Thu May 26, 2016 2:37 pm

What about a scenario where IAG pursues both W6 and DY and integrates them with VY? VY covers Southern Europe. DY covers Northern Europe and W6 covers Eastern Europe.

jumpjets

Thu May 26, 2016 5:20 pm

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 26):

Which airline(s) will represent VWs other marques - ie Bentley, Bugatti and Porsche?

vhtje

Thu May 26, 2016 7:21 pm

Quoting GSTBA (Reply 21):
QR are also entering agreements and investing in IG in Italy and AT in North Africa. Maybe one of these two airlines could be the key to these missing hubs

Well, IG currently uses Avios as their Frequent Flyer currency, and AT is moving to Avios, so there is something in that.
I only turn left when boarding aircraft. Well, mostly. All right, sometimes. OH OKAY - rarely.

SelseyBill

Thu May 26, 2016 8:44 pm

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 16):
That's somehow unnecessary IMO. The Middle East is not such a large market (and very competed with TK and ME3). In any case Wizzair would be helpful for that area. They fly to the likes of SAW, DWC, TLV and GYD, so it would be a very good compliment to a more "premium" BA offer (flying to IST or DXB).

Agree. As a long time former BA frequent flyer; I'm pretty pleased IAG/BA are becoming less 'LHR-centric' and are looking to broaden their horizons through potential purchases perhaps like 'Wizzair'.

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 16):
Also ironically having Wizzair on board would increase IAG's dominance of the London market, with Wizzair being so large at LTN. With W6 on board (and combined with the new VY routes), IAG would have 41 destinations out of LTN! with a big number of them not replicated from any other London airport.

Agree again. I was pretty miffed BA got rid of 'GO' in the first place. It was pretty obvious that the growth of U2 & FR would eat away at BA's domestic UK market; and after seeing the LCC's bring home healthy profits year after year, its pleasing to see BA may be getting back into the LCC scrap from the UK through VY and potentially now W6.

Its a sea-change to witness Willie Walsh be the pragmatic leader he is, and not tie his horses to just one business model in the aviation sector.

TurnaroudUK

Thu May 26, 2016 9:41 pm

Wizz Air would be a fantastic acquisition. AY is the first preference for me, as the market is shocking in terms of connections to asia especially the 2nd tier airports. Wizz air would allow access into eastern Europe which through IAG code share agreements would allow frequent flyers to access this.

SCQ83

Thu May 26, 2016 9:58 pm

Quoting SelseyBill (Reply 34):
Agree again. I was pretty miffed BA got rid of 'GO' in the first place. It was pretty obvious that the growth of U2 & FR would eat away at BA's domestic UK market; and after seeing the LCC's bring home healthy profits year after year, its pleasing to see BA may be getting back into the LCC scrap from the UK through VY and potentially now W6.

And we are forgetting Volotea (founded by the founders of Vueling which later sold it to Iberia...) that is now getting A319s (such as Vueling). Volotea merged with Vueling (here I can't see the reason to keep the Volotea brand) would increase the presence of IAG in France and Italy which IMO are two "natural" markets for IAG to expand (given the enormous traffic between UK-France/Italy or Spain-France/Italy, and the geographic proximity).

It is interesting to see how with V7 + W6, IAG would have quite an impressive portfolio of destinations from very non-IAG airports. For instance, Prague as of today would have 20 airports:

Barcelona (VY), Bari (W6) Bordeaux (V7), Brussels (VY), Dublin (EI), London-LHR (BA), London-LTN (W6), Madrid (IB), Marseille (V7), Milan-BGY (W6), Nantes (V7), Naples (W6), Nice (V7), Paris-CDG (VY), Rome-CIA (W6), Rome-FCO (VY), Tel Aviv (W6), Toulouse (V7), Venice-TSF (W6), Venice-VCE (V7)

Even merging the two Romes and the two Venices (and keeping the two very different London airports/market segmentation), still an impressive 18 destinations covering the main markets in FR/IT/ES/UK.

yoni

Thu May 26, 2016 10:31 pm

At one point, I read that AF-KLM was interesting in acquiring another low-cost in Europe to merge with Transavia (Wizz Air was cited among others). That's might the reason why IAG is looking at Wizz Air. The competition between these two are heating up.

Wizz Air would be great for both IAG or AF-KLM as it gives them an instant presence throughout Eastern Europe.

yoni

Thu May 26, 2016 10:40 pm

Quoting KLMA330 (Reply 28):

British Imperial Airways!!!

IAG is building an airline Empire and I love it!!

With Qatar Airways slowly taking over IAG, that empire would be soon renamed as Qatar Imperial Airways. Will you still love it ? Sorry to spoil your excitement.

aircatalonia

Thu May 26, 2016 11:37 pm

IMO Wizzair is below Vueling in terms of service: charges for everything, few routes with more than a flight per day, cheapest handling wherever they go... They make money because their crews are based in Eastern Europe and they get paid eastern european salaries, that's their business model. Don't get me wrong, it works fine for them but I don't know if that matches IAG/oneworld's standards. I think I'd rather fly LH to BUD or SOF.

qf2220

Thu May 26, 2016 11:56 pm

Quoting finnishway (Reply 11):

If VA can be structured to be Australian owned for the purposes of its international flights but still have DL, SQ and NZ owning the majority of the ledger, AY should be able to be structured to have IAG the majority but the carrier still finnish!

Quoting B747forever (Reply 13):

Or this!

Quoting RyanairGuru (Reply 17):

Itd be interesting to see how much oneworld has actually benefited from this given the volumes flying on QF tickets to Europe would have gone up because of the EK deal. And overall profitability too.

TedToToe

Fri May 27, 2016 5:40 am

Quoting aircatalonia (Reply 39):
I think I'd rather fly LH to BUD or SOF.

Wouldn't we all? But, if you can't afford it, you are going to choose one of the LCC's.

f4f3a

Fri May 27, 2016 6:53 am

Could we see mass consolidation across the short haul sector?There has
Been talks of overcapacity cutting revenues. This
Would change that.

However if the uk leaves Eu could make things rather difficult for iag.

TWA85

Fri May 27, 2016 5:13 pm

AY appears to be preparing itself to be purchased...

https://skift.com/2016/05/27/finnair-wants-to-make-itself-more-attractive-to-potential-buyers/

EddieDude

Fri May 27, 2016 7:40 pm

Quoting QF2220 (Reply 40):
If VA can be structured to be Australian owned for the purposes of its international flights but still have DL, SQ and NZ owning the majority of the ledger

DL is not a shareholder of VA.
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

qf2220

Fri May 27, 2016 10:54 pm

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 44):

Sorry you are right, I was thinking EY but typing DL.

B747forever

Sat May 28, 2016 2:40 am

Quoting TWA85 (Reply 43):

AY appears to be preparing itself to be purchased...

https://skift.com/2016/05/27/finnair-wants-to-make-itself-more-attractive-to-potential-buyers/

I believe that they have been ready for the last couple of years. They are just waiting for IAG to send the check  
Work Hard, Fly Right

rutankrd

Sat May 28, 2016 8:04 am

Quoting jumpjets (Reply 32):
Which airline(s) will represent VWs other marques - ie Bentley, Bugatti and Porsche?

Perhaps they will market Qatar Executive !

teme82

Sat May 28, 2016 5:09 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 46):
I believe that they have been ready for the last couple of years. They are just waiting for IAG to send the check

when that happens all AY's overflight permissions over Russia are non-void.
Flying high and low

SCQ83

Sat May 28, 2016 5:21 pm

Quoting rutankrd (Reply 47):
Perhaps they will market Qatar Executive !

True. Are they still flying that all-business A319 on LHR-DOH?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos