Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

rutankrd

RE: IAG/BA Looking To Takeover Wizz Air And Others

Sat May 28, 2016 5:34 pm

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 49):
True. Are they still flying that all-business A319 on LHR-DOH?

No longer the QTR015 service is now a B788 and the A319s seem to be doing charters at the moment.

KD5MDK

Sun May 29, 2016 8:59 pm

Surely OpenSkies is the Bugatti marque, and as widespread.

TedToToe

Mon May 30, 2016 8:47 am

Quoting jumpjets (Reply 32):
Which airline(s) will represent VWs other marques - ie Bentley, Bugatti and Porsche?

IAG's Porsche marque operates out of LCY and is also popular with bankers!

jumpjets

Mon May 30, 2016 10:32 am

Quoting TedToToe (Reply 52):
IAG's Porsche marque operates out of LCY and is also popular with bankers!

Good thinking - but as the outbound flight has a stop in Shannon maybe its more of a Bentley Continental than a Porsche

SCQ83

Mon May 30, 2016 11:35 am

So maybe BA CityFlyer should be Porsche. The LCY-JFK service could be Bentley.

Bugatti should be some kind of private service... OpenSkies is not that exclusive. The other link though between EC and Bugatti is that both brands are French yet most people don't know it.

eurowings

Mon May 30, 2016 1:45 pm

Quoting aircatalonia (Reply 39):
IMO Wizzair is below Vueling in terms of service: charges for everything, few routes with more than a flight per day, cheapest handling wherever they go... They make money because their crews are based in Eastern Europe and they get paid eastern european salaries, that's their business model. Don't get me wrong, it works fine for them but I don't know if that matches IAG/oneworld's standards. I think I'd rather fly LH to BUD or SOF.

A lot of Western Europe - Central/Eastern Europe flows are extremely price sensitive, and Wizz Air also has to compete with an extensive network of buses that can offer very low fares.

Vueling is an LCC, Wizz Air is an ULCC, but as you point out this serves their respective markets more appropriately. It depends on what IAG is looking for in Wizz, I don't see them as a Vueiling of the East. As a standalone investment, well perhaps.
"Freddie Laker may be at peace with his Maker, but he is persona non grata with IATA."- HRH Duke of Edinburgh

rutankrd

Mon May 30, 2016 2:08 pm

Quoting eurowings (Reply 55):
Vueling is an LCC, Wizz Air is an ULCC, but as you point out this serves their respective markets more appropriately. It depends on what IAG is looking for in Wizz, I don't see them as a Vueiling of the East. As a standalone investment, well perhaps.

What's a LCC and ULCC (rhetorical)

I do wish people would stop using these utter crap marketing terms .

Both are flexible fare operations using complex pricing algorithms .

The low cost bit is behind the scenes out sourcing just about everything possible and some things they probably shouldn't.

SelseyBill

Mon May 30, 2016 2:23 pm

Quoting eurowings (Reply 55):

Agree.

A possible purchase of 'Wizz Air' by IAG, gives them an airline with possibly one of the lowest cost bases in Europe; maybe even lower than FR. A ULCC like W6 will also give WW a 'vehicle' to 'better' the likes of EZY and FR and give them something to think about for a change.

W6 also gives IAG access to some earlier A320 family delivery slots and options for use possibly elsewhere in the IAG group, and maybe they consider cascading some older IAG frames to W6 ?

I do not see W6 within IAG as being anything else other than a well known brand and complimentary to the existing subsidiaries as a true ULCC, and not something that VY should necessarily absorb.

I would have thought that for W6; one of the attractions of 'joining' IAG, is to take advantage of IAG's 'buying power' where advantageous to further address their cost base.

SCQ83

Mon May 30, 2016 2:52 pm

I don't understand the issue with Wizzair in IAG.

Better than the car comparison, I think aviation is closer to hospitality. Accor has many chains, from Ibis Budget to Sofitel, covering the whole market. IAG could do the same. Wizzair being Ibis Budget and BA being Pullman.

Quoting SelseyBill (Reply 57):
A possible purchase of 'Wizz Air' by IAG, gives them an airline with possibly one of the lowest cost bases in Europe; maybe even lower than FR. A ULCC like W6 will also give WW a 'vehicle' to 'better' the likes of EZY and FR and give them something to think about for a change.

I think the main advantage with VY + W6 is geography. There is very little overlap between Wizzair and Vueling in terms of routes. And again since they are market-wise slightly different, I could even see VY and W6 sharing routes (i.e. BCN-BUD) the same way Ibis Budget and Ibis Styles are very often next to each other.

eurowings

Mon May 30, 2016 5:04 pm

I do not see W6 within IAG as being anything else other than a well known brand and complimentary to the existing subsidiaries as a true ULCC, and not something that VY should necessarily absorb.

At least for the short-term, this seems like the most sensible option.

W6 also gives IAG access to some earlier A320 family delivery slots and options for use possibly elsewhere in the IAG group, and maybe they consider cascading some older IAG frames to W6 ?

Or the other way around? BA already have some ex-Wizz A320s at LGW.  
Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 58):
And again since they are market-wise slightly different, I could even see VY and W6 sharing routes (i.e. BCN-BUD) the same way Ibis Budget and Ibis Styles are very often next to each other.

As long as it's made clear which product the passenger is receiving, I can't see a problem with it. Vueling.com has started selling BA flights on selected routes.

Anything is possible though. BA.com could be selling BCN-BUD-VNO or LTN-BUD-DXB via a 'transfer facility' at BUD's Basic Boarding Gates in a few years time.  
"Freddie Laker may be at peace with his Maker, but he is persona non grata with IATA."- HRH Duke of Edinburgh

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos