Eagleboy
Topic Author

Infants In F And J Class

Wed May 25, 2016 4:45 pm

A subject came up in chat recently in work regarding this.
In my company we allow infants and lids in J Class. In the past there had been a minimum age limit for J Class pax, this was lifted 6-8 years ago. I know that Malaysian introduced a "no infants" policy in F Class approx 5 years ago, is this still in place?
Do any other airlines have similar policy's?
Im in two minds about such a policy. I see the need for it in F class, it protects the product. J Class is a little more open to upgrades and to families with kids travelling. But those the airline risk turining away revenue with a "no kids/infants in J Class" policy?

B747forever

RE: Infants In F And J Class

Wed May 25, 2016 4:52 pm

Quoting Eagleboy (Thread starter):
But those the airline risk turining away revenue with a "no kids/infants in J Class" policy?

To answer that you would need to know how common it is with infants travelling in J. If it is only a handful a day over the whole network of an airline I would rather see them not allowed in J.
Work Hard, Fly Right

ua900

Wed May 25, 2016 5:22 pm

infants and lids in J Class

IMO J class should always use glassware, no lids ever  
I know that Malaysian introduced a "no infants" policy in F Class approx 5 years ago, is this still in place?

No idea, maybe that's why they're hurting?   

Do any other airlines have similar policy's?

My one year old regularly travels in J. My five year old regularly travels in J and occasionally in F. LH F is a bit of a waste for a small kid but the looks of EU businessmen who scored an upgrade into J and are peeking into F on LH just to see her torment the F cabin purser with childish wishes like non-alcoholic beer and lots of sweets / ice cream are *priceless*

I can tell you that I've never seen a policy barring kids from premium cabins in UA, LH, LX, OS, LO, AA and DL. In fact LH in particular handles small kids *very* graciously, she got 3 PAs at the FCL for 2-3 hrs who did ballet with her. I have not seen many other carriers extending *that* level of courtesy, but if it's just in J then treatment fairly consistent with how an adult passenger might get treated. Notwithstanding kid-specific things like lots of ice cream, kids tend to eat less and have fewer special requests. They eat a bit, watch a lot of cartoons and fall asleep. Less labor intensive / bothersome then a fat businessman who got upgraded and goes now through every single course offering at least once like it's Christmas or something.

I see the need for it in F class, it protects the product.

How exactly? Most F cabins have either individual suites for people to misbehave in or allow for plenty of separation between passengers since they don't tend to book fully. F/A to passenger ratio is often 1:1 in the air and PA ratio on the ground is at least 1:1 as well. Most F travelers have kids / grandkids of their own. You might be surprised to learn that the FCL/FCT regularly features a small army of kids, but they all have their own PA so you might see 5-6 PAs forming a cordon sanitaire around them. 100% worry free for the parents and other passengers, very different service level agreement from say J cabin / Senator Lounge.

3 class F class passengers are among the most tolerant flyers. It's the upgraded Senator type lounge people in cheaper suits working on their laptops that you have to look out for, in the air and on the ground  
J Class is a little more open to upgrades and to families with kids travelling. But those the airline risk turining away revenue with a "no kids/infants in J Class" policy?

See above, IMO J is more prone to issues, precisely because of upgraders. Most kids who travel in F or J do so frequently, and thus know what to expect and in return what's expected of them. Occasional upgraders are the bigger problem, whether they are kids or adults, they tend to think they're someone else because they scored that upgrade. It's J class, not the Aman, and again, people at Aman are super friendly to kids since these people aren't gunning for the suite at the Hilton   Most of us would turn airline J accommodations down if we were on the ground and the food is medium upscale but again there are far more opportunities on the ground.

It's a temporary arrangement while you're up in the air, whether you sit next to a kid or next to a drunk businessman or some fat person. You make the best of the neighbors you get, but you rarely develop deep friendships with them. You wait it out and then head for your next leg, parents might move on to the lounge with their kids so that they can keep playing with their newly found "friends", but even kids know that the next leg will likely bring separation from their new found "friends".

Quoting B747forever (Reply 1):
To answer that you would need to know how common it is with infants travelling in J. If it is only a handful a day over the whole network of an airline I would rather see them not allowed in J.

It's pretty common. My wife is travelling with our one year old in BusinessFirst to EWR this weekend, I'm flying to LHR with my five year old the same day. Both of us see infants and small kids in the premium cabin on most flights, especially int'l J / F.

[Edited 2016-05-25 10:39:12]
2018: AMS | ARN | CDG | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | GUM | HAM | HKG | HNL | IAH | LAX | MIA | MUC | ORD | RSW | SAL | SFO | SIN | TLV | TXL | VIE | ZRH

dc9northwest

Wed May 25, 2016 5:41 pm

While I'm not a big fan of kids, if you travel in J you can probably afford noise-cancelling headphones.

UAEflyer

Wed May 25, 2016 5:48 pm

Some airline charge a child a full adult fare in F class , EK does it for sure.

sk736

Wed May 25, 2016 5:50 pm

Screaming brats should be banned from anything other than economy class travel; their irresponsible parents should be banned from flying.

UAEflyer

Wed May 25, 2016 5:55 pm

Quoting sk736 (Reply 5):

The airplane is a public place, and wealthy families can afford flying their children J & F. I don't think banning children or keeping them in economy is wise idea.
You will always hear the kids shouting in the parks, shopping malls, trains....etc airplane is no different

boeingrulz

Wed May 25, 2016 6:00 pm

I know someone who is a frequent worldwide traveler and has travelled with her daughter in J class since she was an infant. I see no reason why a child in any class of operation should not be allowed. If a business woman has a child, what is she supposed to do?

ua900

Wed May 25, 2016 6:02 pm

Quoting UAEflyer (Reply 4):

No shame in that, it's not like F/J pax really need a break.

Quoting dc9northwest (Reply 3):
While I'm not a big fan of kids, if you travel in J you can probably afford noise-cancelling headphones.

I use my pilot headset and the kids have noise cancelling headsets as well. Can't recall last time I saw someone in Int'l F or J with regular headsets as all seats have noise cancelling headsets, so you either use the airline's or your own.

Quoting sk736 (Reply 5):
Screaming brats should be banned from anything other than economy class travel; their irresponsible parents should be banned from flying.

LOL, agreed if we add drunkards, lunatics and other assorted hoi polloi to your list. Well-behaved kids like mine can stay  

[Edited 2016-05-26 11:58:15 by lightsaber]
2018: AMS | ARN | CDG | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | GUM | HAM | HKG | HNL | IAH | LAX | MIA | MUC | ORD | RSW | SAL | SFO | SIN | TLV | TXL | VIE | ZRH

B747forever

Wed May 25, 2016 6:06 pm

The thing with noise cancelling headphones is that they generally dont mute out screaming babies that well.
Work Hard, Fly Right

ua900

Wed May 25, 2016 6:24 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 9):
The thing with noise cancelling headphones is that they generally dont mute out screaming babies that well

Try beyerdynamic HS 800 Digital, works for me. Better than the run of the mill Bose headsets you see everywhere, on those you might have to turn up the volume  
Quoting boeingrulz (Reply 7):
I know someone who is a frequent worldwide traveler and has travelled with her daughter in J class since she was an infant. I see no reason why a child in any class of operation should not be allowed. If a business woman has a child, what is she supposed to do?

I've seen that happen in Europe short haul J on occasion since the female/infant percentage is *very* low there compared to say the U.S and their suited up businessmen don't like it much. But though luck, where do they think the next generation of business people comes from? Less of an issue in the U.S. where most business people have 2-3 kids, including small ones.

NickLAX

Wed May 25, 2016 6:24 pm

My now 5 year old has now been in F and C/J about 10 times. No tantrums or whining as she is told way ahead of each trip how her behavior needs to be. When she was really young and your can't really behavior correct we endured she had lots to do (backpack with things).

The general label of bad kids is BS - I've seen over 30 years of flying the brat on board is normally the parent and the kid is a reflection of that parent. The kids I've had issues with I've dealt with (nicely and they generally stopped) - their parents have 75% of the time been bigger inconsiderate jerks.

cageyjames

Wed May 25, 2016 6:26 pm

Quoting ua900 (Reply 10):

Quoting B747forever (Reply 9):
The thing with noise cancelling headphones is that they generally dont mute out screaming babies that well

Try beyerdynamic HS 800 Digital, works for me. Better than the run of the mill Bose headsets you see everywhere, on those you might have to turn up the volume  

The only thing that works for me is vodka with a gin chaser.

Armodeen

Wed May 25, 2016 6:27 pm

Quoting sk736 (Reply 5):

Public transport is public. Would you ban them from the bus too?

SATexan

Wed May 25, 2016 6:36 pm

Quoting sk736 (Reply 5):

Hate to break it to you, but toddlers sometimes scream even when they are overjoyed and amused by things. That does not make parents irresponsible...

If only all toddlers and kids behaved as the parents wanted them to, then we'd be in a dreamworld !!

B747forever

Wed May 25, 2016 6:37 pm

Quoting Armodeen (Reply 13):

Sure they are both public transportation, but there is a huge difference between the two of them. In a bus you can just get out at the next stop. Try doing that on a 10 hour flight.
Work Hard, Fly Right

BiggerJetsPlz

Wed May 25, 2016 6:40 pm

I think any child under 5 should have to travel in the cargo hold with the pets.

ua900

Wed May 25, 2016 6:42 pm

Quoting NickLAX (Reply 11):
The general label of bad kids is BS - I've seen over 30 years of flying the brat on board is normally the parent and the kid is a reflection of that parent. The kids I've had issues with I've dealt with (nicely and they generally stopped) - their parents have 75% of the time been bigger inconsiderate jerks.

That pretty much sums it up.

Quoting cageyjames (Reply 12):
The only thing that works for me is vodka with a gin chaser.

Another perennial favorite. Pre-departure beverage, another nice perk of J/F over Y  
Quoting Armodeen (Reply 13):

sk736 might want them strapped to the roof or down in the cargo hold. Which again, could make sense for a small percentage of kids, but then let's extend that to select adults as well   It won't go anywhere, they'll stay where they are unless they advance to the plasticuff level, and small kids never do.

Luxair747SP

Wed May 25, 2016 6:42 pm

Quoting sk736 (Reply 5):

In my opinion an infant should be allowed in any class of travel, if they are screaming in Y, some people will feel annoyed, and the same will happen in C. In my experience some decent headphones and music blocks most noise
The people in Y also paid some money for their seat, and relatively to their wealth, maybe even more than most of the travellers in the C class cabin.

One could also argue that businessmen with phones and laptops should be banned from hotels, because they are certainly more noisy in the breakfast rooms with their phone calls.
Should they be banned from nice hotels and only stay in Youth hostels?

zrs70

Wed May 25, 2016 6:52 pm

I wish we could have an F/J product that bans certain adults. Most infants I see on planes are better behaved than many adults.
19 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2019

LAX772LR

Wed May 25, 2016 6:57 pm

Many (if not most) airlines provide them.

Quoting sk736 (Reply 5):

Quoting UAEflyer (Reply 4):

Seems like a fair compromise.

If a business woman has a child, what is she supposed to do?

Fly coach.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

jacobin777

Wed May 25, 2016 7:44 pm

Quoting LAX772LR (Reply 20):
If a business woman has a child, what is she supposed to do?

Fly coach.

What's the problem if a child is behaving responsibly?
"Up the Irons!"

mariner

Wed May 25, 2016 7:50 pm

Quoting sk736 (Reply 5):

Not all kids are screaming brats.

mariner
aeternum nauta

scbriml

Wed May 25, 2016 8:00 pm

Quoting ua900 (Reply 2):
Both of us see infants and small kids in the premium cabin on most flights, especially int'l J / F.

I've seen it a lot, especially on popular ex-pat destinations.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

DocLightning

Wed May 25, 2016 8:04 pm

Quoting sk736 (Reply 5):

You were a screaming brat once. And from your post, I'm not entirely sure you grew out of it.

I've also been on flights with adult passengers who were every bit as annoying as a screaming child.

*The obese guy next to me spilling into my seat.
*The guy who must have had four cans of baked beans immediately prior to departure based on the non-stop flatulence.
*The lady who did nothing but pace up and down the aisle all the way from SFO to EWR.
*The passenger in front of me who reclined her seat into my face (why do the airlines design seats so this can happen?).
*The man who DEMANDED that I relinquish my window seat for an aisle so he could sit next to his wife and then unleashed verbal abuse on me when I declined.

I'll take a screaming kid any day. At least they can't help it.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

reffado

Wed May 25, 2016 9:02 pm

Reality check: unless you charter a flight, you don't get to choose you travel with.

Be less like the brats you supposedly hate, grow up, and get over it, like everyone else.

I'd understand the claim for crying babies. But a toddler that's quiet? They can't even reach the J/F seat in front of them if they wanted to kick it.

[Edited 2016-05-25 14:03:51]

rbavfan

Wed May 25, 2016 9:57 pm

Quoting ua900 (Reply 10):
Less of an issue in the U.S. where most business people have 2-3 kids, including small ones.

SO businessmen in the EU don't have kids. Thats a bad argument based on lack of facts. They tend to bring kids with them less on trips & can see, but not they have no kids.

rbavfan

Wed May 25, 2016 10:01 pm

Quoting Luxair747SP (Reply 18):

Yes problem businessmen & problem parents should be limited to Youth Hostels. (note partial Sarcasm)

[Edited 2016-05-25 15:20:13]

rbavfan

Wed May 25, 2016 10:04 pm

Quoting ua900 (Reply 17):
Pre-departure beverage, another nice perk of J/F over Y

Wow thats going to make me feel so much better over the cost of my ticket. It's not that big a deal or that special, its one drink. If thats going to have so much affect on you you need to find somethings to do with your free time.

trent1000

Wed May 25, 2016 11:06 pm

In my company we allow infants and lids in J Class.

The policy is clear then - if infants are in the cabin, keep a lid of them!

DarkSnowyNight

Wed May 25, 2016 11:21 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 24):

I've also been on flights with adult passengers who were every bit as annoying as a screaming child.

Indeed. I actually think that's worse as beyond a certain age, we simply ought to know better...

In any case, I guess I'm the weird one out as screaming kids simply don't show up on my piss off radar. I'll admit it isn't very consistent as I have such little patience for most people issues in general. More than one person have told told me that I give the impression that repeating myself takes years off my life or something... Go fig.
"Ya Can't Win, Rocky! There's no Oxygen on Mars!"
"Yeah? That means there's no Oxygen for him Neither..."

smokeybandit

Wed May 25, 2016 11:30 pm

When my son was under 2 we flew first class a couple times with him as a lap child. None of the other passengers showed any ire about it.

johns624

Thu May 26, 2016 1:05 am

Quoting ua900 (Reply 2):
see her torment the F cabin purser with childish wishes like non-alcoholic beer and lots of sweets / ice cream
Quoting ua900 (Reply 8):
Well-behaved kids like mine can stay

She doesn't seem all that well behaved to me. What you, as a parent, finds cute, the purser probably finds annoying.

OB1504

Thu May 26, 2016 1:08 am

Quoting ua900 (Reply 2):
I can tell you that I've never seen a policy barring kids from premium cabins in UA, LH, LX, OS, LO, AA and DL.

For non-revenue passengers (employees and buddy passes), AA does not allow them to travel in F or J with a child aged 5 or under.

futureorthopod

Thu May 26, 2016 1:47 am

Was in J from IAH to IST on TK two weeks ago with one infant and one toddler who both cried the entire flight....Bathroom at front of the cabin had to be closed b/c the toddler apparently made a huge mess. Of course I was annoyed at times; however, I was simply happy to be comfortable at my seat, eat a great meal, and at least get a few hours of sleep. I'd rather deal with that than be cramped in economy on a long flight.

Thu May 26, 2016 1:56 am

I've had my fair load of problems with adults snoaring like pigs about to be slaughtered than screaming kids in Business Class.

Actually, the ratio of snoaring, rude, loud, overt-the-top nouveau-riche passengers in biz class to annoying kids it's probably 20 to 1.

Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous!

Sancho99504

Thu May 26, 2016 2:08 am

I'm amazed at the amount of people who forget that they were kids at one point. Ban kids? How about banning entitled silver and golds? They cry, scream and throw more tantrums than any kids, infants or toddlers I've ever seen.
kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out-USMC

Viscount724

Thu May 26, 2016 2:37 am

Quoting zrs70 (Reply 19):
I wish we could have an F/J product that bans certain adults. Most infants I see on planes are better behaved than many adults.

Agree. I've been on far more flights with annoying adults than infants or children.

TheCommodore

Thu May 26, 2016 3:04 am

Quoting Luxair747SP (Reply 18):
One could also argue that businessmen with phones and laptops should be banned from hotels, because they are certainly more noisy in the breakfast rooms with their phone calls.

All phones should be banned in public restaurants. Go outside if you want to take a call and don't selfishly broadcast your conversation with the rest of us.

But I'm not sure why you mentioned laptops as being noisy ?
“At first, they'll only dislike what you say, but the more correct you start sounding the more they'll dislike you.”

TWA772LR

Thu May 26, 2016 3:45 am

I sat next to a young couple with a one year old baby for 15 hours to SYD and the baby made almost no noise except for the occasional giggle. Granted that was in Y, but when I was a kid and was lucky enough to none in F/C (all the way up to high school), I was so happy to do so because of my passion for flying. It gave me a taste of the life I want to live and gave me something to strive for.

This stuff about kids should not be able to fly in F/C is BS.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Unflug

Thu May 26, 2016 5:41 am

But those the airline risk turining away revenue with a "no kids/infants in J Class" policy?

My kids are now almost grown up, but the airline doing that would loose my business.

Quoting ua900 (Reply 2):
It's pretty common.

Yes. Great post, btw.

Correct, unfortunately  

I fly quite a lot, and I have been bothered by drunken idiots in F, but I have never had a problem with childs or kids.

Quoting mariner (Reply 22):
Not all kids are screaming brats.

mariner

Exactly, and especially not when they are in F or J.

Quoting smokeybandit (Reply 31):
When my son was under 2 we flew first class a couple times with him as a lap child. None of the other passengers showed any ire about it.

Same for us. when our kids were very small, we did long flights in first as well. No problem ever. I don't think that the reason was that our kids are or behave much better than others, as a matter of fact it is much easier to make a small child feel comfortable with lots of space and a bed where it can sleep...

alfa164

Thu May 26, 2016 5:52 am

Quoting ua900 (Reply 2):
IMO J class should always use glassware, no lids ever

...and the nuts must be served in a bowl!   

Which brings me back to the topic... while I have bemoaned sitting near a screaming child on previous flights, I would much rather suffer through that than be on a flight with an arrogant daughter-of-the-boss of the airline....
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

N1120A

Thu May 26, 2016 6:02 am

I've seen infants and toddlers that were extraordinarily well behaved while in J and F. The only thing that ever bothers me about kids is if there is one with a really shrill cry/scream during the flight. Otherwise, no big deal.

The worst scream I've ever heard on a flight was actually an adult, but a severely developmentally disabled one. It was in a domestic F cabin and every 20 minutes or so, she screamed this blood curdling scream that actually sounded like torture.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

DLFREEBIRD

Thu May 26, 2016 7:06 am

IMO it doesn't matter if you are in first class, business class or coach certain people are going to freak out and ask to be moved if a baby is in their row. Happens all the time.

As far as i know, no US airline has banned children in business or first class. If a international carrier really did, it leaders in the airline industry didn't follow And why should they? Who in their right mind is going to turn away 6 to 11k per person ticket for a family. That's big money were talking 40k transatlantic/pacific flights don't do courtesy upgrades, you can use miles to upgrade but you have to buy a hefty coach ticket around 3k. They usually don't give out that many free seats.in business and first class to use your miles for that very reason. unless you are willing to double your point usage. Then there is the fact that who in their right mind is going to pay for their kids to fly in Business Class or First Class? stats show hardly anyone. This is really a non issue. We've had incidents where parents bought tickets in first class and put their kids in coach only to be told that they had to sit with their children by law because their children have to be over 6 or with a sibling over the age of 12. to travel alone in coach. Most people know this rule and bring a Nancy to sit with their children in coach.

Then there is the fact that business class transatlantic and transpacific service have sleepers dividers and baby bassinets. If there were young ones there, you probably wouldn't know it.. But if you did and it was a problem for you, reach into your courtesy kit and pull out your ear plugs and sleeping mask. For Pete Sake

[Edited 2016-05-26 00:09:38]

Eagleboy
Topic Author

Thu May 26, 2016 8:05 am

Thanks for all the replies folks. Quite a healthy discussion topic.

Quoting ua900 (Reply 2):
I can tell you that I've never seen a policy barring kids from premium cabins in UA, LH, LX, OS, LO, AA and DL.

As I said, my airline used to have a age minimum in J Class but in recent years have removed this (this was due to the seat design not being suitable for infants on lapbelts)

Quoting ua900 (Reply 2):
Most F cabins have either individual suites for people to misbehave in or allow for plenty of separation between passengers since they don't tend to book fully.

Good point. My carrier does not have F Class and I have no first hand experience of such hard products to make a judgement. Photos online dont really convey the reality very well. I didnt consider the more segregated nature of F Class.

Quoting ua900 (Reply 2):
Most kids who travel in F or J do so frequently, and thus know what to expect and in return what's expected of them. Occasional upgraders are the bigger problem, whether they are kids or adults, they tend to think they're someone else because they scored that upgrade.

Personally I always think that the poor small kids dont know why they are feeling unwell after 5-8 hours in a metal tube in the sky, the adults should know better.

I wish we could have an F/J product that bans certain adults.

We all know the "special pax" who no-one wants to have seated next them, regardless of whether it is Y, Y+ or J Class!

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 24):
You were a screaming brat once.

And I always like to remind complaining pax of this fact when they ask the cabin crew about "doing something about that baby" They never seem to have an answer when I ask them exactly what they want me "to do to the baby?"

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply 40):
I sat next to a young couple with a one year old baby for 15 hours to SYD and the baby made almost no noise except for the occasional giggle.

Had a wonderful experience one flight, a middle aged couple asked to move 2 rows back in J Class to be away from a stressed young couple with a small infant in J Class. They werent particularly polite about it either. The infant slept the whole flight, meanwhile the couple had a disturbed flight as they moved beside 2 men who were awake talking, laughing and snoring for the journey. I took immense satisfaction in making sure to loudly compliment the parents pre-disembarkation on how quiet the infant was during the flight. Simple pleasures.

Again, thanks for all the input. Nice to heard about other carriers.

Prinair

Thu May 26, 2016 9:43 am

As usual, people who chose to have children believe that those who have chosen not to or those who don't like children have to put up and accept their children's behavior ....

Another issue to consider.... Why allow them to pre-board? People who are not traveling with children paid their fare just like those traveling with children. Why should those who chose to have children be entitled to such a perk? Every passenger should board according to zone or row as assigned on their boarding pass as offering such a perk could be considered discriminatory to those who are not traveling with children.
PRINAIR - Puerto Rico International Airlines

coolian2

Thu May 26, 2016 9:55 am

Quoting PRINAIR (Reply 46):
As usual, people who chose to have children believe that those who have chosen not to or those who don't like children have to put up and accept their children's behavior ....

Walk.
Q300/ATR72-600/737-200/-300/-400/-700/-800/A320/767-200/-300/757-200/777-300ER/
747-200/-300/-400/ER/A340-300/A380-800/MD-83/-88/CRJ-700/-900

smokeybandit

Thu May 26, 2016 10:06 am

Why allow them to pre-board? People who are not traveling with children paid their fare just like those traveling with children. Why should those who chose to have children be entitled to such a perk? Every passenger should board according to zone or row as assigned on their boarding pass as offering such a perk could be considered discriminatory to those who are not traveling with children.

Do you have the same rant against the elderly and disabled?

Eagleboy
Topic Author

Thu May 26, 2016 10:08 am

There is a corollary to this....boorish people believe that everyone else should have to put up with their boorish behaviour.

The early boarding is for the same reason as for wheelchair users and elderly pax, those with small likds/infants may need a little extra time/space to get settled into their seats ans stow baggage. Being in a tight queue in a jetway isn't as simple as it is for adults or grown children. ie, get the slow boarders into seats first, then board the speedy bunch.....of course that assumes grown adults are ready to board, rather than needing to get up to their overhead bag 4-5 times before departure...rather than having everything stowed correctly in all that time you had at the boarding gate.
Or maybe the adult had a chance to actually read their boarding card and figure out what their seat assignment was before getting to the aircraft door.

mariner

Thu May 26, 2016 10:55 am

Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 45):
Personally I always think that the poor small kids dont know why they are feeling unwell after 5-8 hours in a metal tube in the sky, the adults should know better.

In my experience, most children - not all - handle flying very well.

When I first started flying there was no economy cabin, it was all first, and every school holidays BOAC used to carry hundreds - even thousands - of kids of all ages going out to see their parents stationed overseas and then taking them back again.

There were not many unusual problems (apart from the occasional up-chuck, which was more common then) and most of us - the kids - behaved extremely well, even though flying was more arduous then, and perhaps more exciting. We were expected to behave and to cope with unusual circumstances.

mariner
aeternum nauta

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos