badgervor
Topic Author

Best And Worst Airports

Wed May 25, 2016 8:32 pm

http://www.forbes.com/sites/grantmar...ports-for-u-s-travel/#377bb2fa14a1

It's incredible that United was able to move their operation to Hobby so quickly

kgaiflyer

RE: Best And Worst Airports

Wed May 25, 2016 8:59 pm

"In terms of gate-to-takeoff wait rankings, an indication of how congested an airport is and how well air traffic control can manage the loads, Houston Hobby, a hub of United Airlines took the top spot."

Now that's funny.  

[Edited 2016-05-25 14:00:56]

kgaiflyer

Wed May 25, 2016 9:05 pm

Also - best or worst for what reasoning?

(1) Weather?

(2) Infrastructure?

(3) Terrain?

(4) Customer Service?

(5) Food, shops, and perks?

HELyes

Wed May 25, 2016 9:30 pm

A misleading tittle, should beThe best and worst US airports.

[Edited 2016-05-25 14:57:04]

B747forever

Wed May 25, 2016 9:34 pm

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 1):
Now that's funny.  

Actually, that is sad. What happened with doing your research as journalist before publishing an article?
Work Hard, Fly Right

FRA-Runway

Wed May 25, 2016 10:54 pm

Quoting HELyes (Reply 3):
A misleading tittle, should beThe best and worst US airports.

Oooh, there is a world outside the US? Really?  

HELyes

Wed May 25, 2016 11:12 pm

Quoting FRA-Runway (Reply 5):

It's not just a rumor  

BestWestern

Thu May 26, 2016 1:22 am

In terms of major global hubs.

Without question, best global airport is Changi airport, Singapore.

The worst is a tie between the following

Shanghai Pudong (Delays, walk to gate, Pax information)
London Heathrow (transit experience, security)
Atlanta (security, immigration, dining)
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

kordcj

Thu May 26, 2016 2:11 am

I would have voted EWR and CDG as worst airports. ORD as best, no bias...
The most obvious proof for intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't tried to contact us.

LAXdude1023

Thu May 26, 2016 3:17 am

If Im giving my opinion, MIA, ORD, LAX, and EWR are the ones I try hard to avoid.
"I dance and laugh among the rotten"

zkncj

Thu May 26, 2016 4:18 am

Most of these best/worst airports reports, always seem like they are rigged.

Its like how AKL always wins Aisa Pacific, anyone thats been knows its not the best.

jetwet1

Thu May 26, 2016 5:03 am

Quoting HELyes (Reply 6):
It's not just a rumor

Don't worry, we will build a wall to keep the rest of the world out....

Quoting kordcj (Reply 8):
ORD as best, no bias...

Except for the massive TSA problems....

I'm going to go hometown here, I find LAS really easy to use, Terminal 3 is a pleasure to go through, the connection to B and C gates is easy and heck, in 26 years the longest wait in line to take off was 15 minutes, that was a couple of months ago due to the WX issues we were all writing about.

Immigration is easy (compared to LAX it's a dream), transportation from the airport to the city is cheap and plentyful, there are some descent food outlets in every terminal, heck, I could go on and on.

aerorobnz

Thu May 26, 2016 5:10 am

In my experiences of flying through approximately 120 airports worldwide
MNL, EWR, CDG, SYD aren't particularly nice to use.
LHR was bad last time I visited but it has been updated since I visited last so should perhaps be left out
LAX is improving every time I visit but some terminals are still dives.
ADD is fairly basic
AKL is pretty badly designed given the size of it, and is rapidly more unpleasant the busier it gets.

I dislike any airport I have to walk through the shop to get to the gate area. It's unpleasantly noisy and smelly and enclosed and it slows you down getting to the important pardue all the gormless idiots buying duty free booze and blocking the thoroughfare. Shops should be optional to enter,

SIN/NRT/HKG/ARN/OSL/JNB/SEA/LAX-TBIT/AMS/EZE are all airports that I enjoy travelling through.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

B777LRF

Thu May 26, 2016 5:30 am

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 2):
Also - best or worst for what reasoning?

Being located in the US, it would seem.

And whilst I don't particularly enjoy the likes of ORD, LHR, MIA or even CDG they are, in fact, very far from being anywhere near a list of 'worst' airports. Now the likes of LOS, KIN or HRE - those are world-class dumps where only those who absolutely must, venture through the doors.
Signature. You just read one.

alfa164

Thu May 26, 2016 5:48 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 7):
Without question, best global airport is Changi airport, Singapore.

Not without question; while Changi airport is great, I think Inchon is greater. Number 1 in my book!

Quoting kordcj (Reply 8):

I would have voted EWR and CDG as worst airports. ORD as best, no bias...

ORD? This is a joke... right?   

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 11):
I'm going to go hometown here, I find LAS really easy to use,

Portland (OR) is also a great airport. DTW is a great airport to fly from, but coming back in is more of a headache; TSA is not particularly user-friendly there. I've never had any problem flying into LAX TBIT, although the distances there make it seem like you have walked all the way to Las Vegas instead of Los Angeles.... maybe I did walk to LAS, and that was why it was so easy to use...  
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

kgaiflyer

Thu May 26, 2016 6:01 am

Quoting jetwet1 (Reply 11):
I find LAS really easy to use, Terminal 3 is a pleasure to go through

Normally I have no problem with Terminal 3.

Last time I went through security, Pre-Check had been canceled and the TSA line snaked for 2 1/2 hours. Lots of action at Customer Service, also.

N1120A

Thu May 26, 2016 6:07 am

These rating systems are really highly subjective and probably more driven by who is giving the writer better comps.

Different airports are strong at different things. LAX is absolutely awesome as an O&D passenger and an online easy connection, but isn't wall to wall bling. Heathrow is great for shopping and good lounges, but has terrible security and marathon walks to gates. It is all relative.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

BestWestern

Thu May 26, 2016 6:44 am

Manila has improved dramatically over the past two years with Terminal 1,2 and 3 a delight to use.

Hong Kong is a solid airport, so is Incheon. I've used Singapore a few times over the past month and it's such a pleasure to fly through - touchdown to taxi in twenty minutes including baggage collection and immigration. The only negative is the muzac they play.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

B747forever

Thu May 26, 2016 11:39 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 16):
LAX is absolutely awesome as an O&D passenger

LAX is absolutely great in that regard. Some above memtion HKG. While it is a nice airport, the walk to the gates at the end of the piers is quite a trek. As an OD passenger I would rather prefer a set up like LAX.
Work Hard, Fly Right

vjzalb

Thu May 26, 2016 12:24 pm

MXP anyone? I found that airport to be outdated, oddly arranged, confusing (especially the check-in areas) and a hike from the city. And I've heard the rumors that the Easyjet terminal may be worse.

Just my 2c.

nitepilot79

Thu May 26, 2016 12:41 pm

Not during an election year. Especially this one.

KaiTak747

Thu May 26, 2016 1:52 pm

From having travelled through a large number of airports across the globe my vote would go to LTN and SXF, both of which are very overcrowded and run down.

To get to a good number of gates at LTN you have to walk through a pub which is very amusing.

But I suppose I was flying Easyjet, so at least the flights were cheap!

N776AU

Thu May 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 7):
Atlanta (security, immigration, dining)

Dining? I was always under the impression Atlanta was on the higher end among airport dining options.

Security does suck. I have no arguments for that.

Immigration I'm not sure since I'm always terminating in Atlanta although supposedly it's not very good for connecting passengers? I've only done it twice, once under concourse E back in 2005 (of which I don't remember much) and a couple years ago under F. Coming through F seemed pretty painless.
Careful, doors are closing, and will not reopen. Please wait for the next train.

ckfred

Thu May 26, 2016 1:59 pm

It seems to me that some airports have long taxi times, in or out, simply because of the large footprint of the airport, even if there are no lines for takeoff or waits for a gate.

I've landed at DFW on the west side of the field, then taxied around the airport to go into Terminals A or C. I've landed on the east side of the airport, then done the long taxi into Terminal B.

If you are arriving or departing at Concourse T at ATL, it could be a long taxi to the other end of the airport. The same holds true for arrivals and departures out of Concourse F.

If you land on Runway 9 and park at Gate D19, that is a long, long taxi, even if you don't have to wait to cross Runway 12 or wait for traffic elsewhere.

TheRedBaron

Thu May 26, 2016 2:04 pm

Clearly a lot of Aneters haven't been to MEX... Maybe not the worst , but easily makes a top 10.

TRB
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

caljn

Thu May 26, 2016 3:10 pm

On another note though EWR and UA's Terminal C has become quite the culinary delight! Seriously!   

Devilfish

Thu May 26, 2016 3:11 pm

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 12):
I dislike any airport I have to walk through the shop to get to the gate area. It's unpleasantly noisy and smelly and enclosed and it slows you down getting to the important pardue all the gormless idiots buying duty free booze and blocking the thoroughfare. Shops should be optional to enter,

It's kind of the general idea --- the layout is meant to force travelers through the shops to get them to buy...even if they do not intend to.

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 17):
Manila has improved dramatically over the past two years with Terminal 1, 2 and 3 a delight to use.

Things have been better at NAIA since five major airlines transferred to T3 and some of PR's flights were made to dock at T1. But heaven forbid that two full international flights arrive at T2 within a half hour of each other and you'd be stuck waiting for the jetbridge to board your flight out. This creates a domino effect for incoming aircraft and those on the taxiways.

It could only worsen with the approval of ASAM. The expansion of T2, addition of aircraft parking aprons and construction of new taxiways couldn't come soon enough.
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

AAlaxfan

Thu May 26, 2016 3:14 pm

I wonder how much WN paid Forbes or the author to write this piece. All of the top 10 are either hubs or focus cities for WN while the bottom are legacy hubs. Blatantly biased piece.
Grumpy. Not a dwarf, not an attitude. It's a lifestyle.

B747forever

Thu May 26, 2016 3:14 pm

Quoting caljn (Reply 25):
On another note though EWR and UA's Terminal C has become quite the culinary delight! Seriously!   

While the transformation is nice, I have heard that many complain about it being too expensive for a meal.
Work Hard, Fly Right

kgaiflyer

Thu May 26, 2016 3:33 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 16):
LAX is absolutely awesome as an O&D passenger and an online easy connection, but isn't wall to wall bling.

I agree that same-airline connections are easy-peasy at LAX, DEN, SFO, IAD, IAH, and ORD. The transfer from A concourse to C concourse at EWR is from painful to dangerous for anyone with mobility issues. There are rumors that rats have moved into the creaky wooden structure that houses the AA Express gates beyond terminal 8 at LAX (so-called "Gate 44").

Btw, the last time I went through YYC (May 9th) getting though FIS Pre-Check and Canadian airport security took a full two hours. In addition, construction in the area of gates 21 to 24 is hair-raising. Your gates are in an active construction zone, so mind the ear-numbing noise and watch out for falling debris.

OTOH, YYC is *the* place to get your duty-free liquor. They have an amazing selection.

[Edited 2016-05-26 08:49:38]

[Edited 2016-05-26 08:51:18]

rnav2dlrey

Thu May 26, 2016 3:37 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 28):

While the transformation is nice, I have heard that many complain about it being too expensive for a meal.

the OTG experience at EWR is awful, and i hope the disease doesn't spread to other UA terminals in the system. bring back vino volo - heck, bring back mcdonalds.

klwright69

Thu May 26, 2016 4:47 pm

Yes, I read that article and I was going to start a thread, but I didn't want to bother since I knew someone else would.
Yes, and in the author's bio, it says he has been an airline writer since 2007. An airline writer that doesn't know that Houston has two airports, and he doesn't know which hubs are at which.
It reminds me of the yahoo travel writer not long ago, who renewed her passport. This travel expert didn't know which passport to use, the one with the hole punches or the new one. So of course she tried to travel with the passport with the holes punched in it. So a travel expert didn't know how passports work. And she wrote a story admitting she didn't understand passports. It's about the same thing.

Anyway, the article wasn't terribly interesting. ORD, JFK, EWR, and LGA are the "worst." Wow what a surprise.

Actually I doubt they paid him very much, freelance writers don't make much. I am just surprised no one proofread the story for accuracy.

kgaiflyer

Thu May 26, 2016 5:44 pm

Quoting klwright69 (Reply 31):
freelance writers don't make much. I am just surprised no one proofread the story for accuracy.

I doubt either the freelancer or the fact-checker are still working for Forbes.

Openside007

Thu May 26, 2016 6:12 pm

Always remember that the US only recognises 2 countries: the US and Not the US    

caljn

Thu May 26, 2016 7:11 pm

Quoting Openside007 (Reply 33):

While Americans are indeed famously myopic, perhaps some European publication can make such a list to satisfy you.   

danvs

Thu May 26, 2016 7:47 pm

The interesting thing about "best/worst" is that it's a pretty subjective thing. Not only it changes according to individual preferences among passengers (some value aspect X more than Y, others value Y and don't care about X), but also it depends on the references of each passenger. I mean, someone who has never left the USA may consider "LAX the worst airport ever", while someone who has traveled extensively within Africa and only once been to LAX may consider LAX "the best airport I've ever been".

The worst airport I've ever been to is NBO. Outdated terminal with the laziest employees I've ever seen in an airport.
Best airports (not in order): KIX, HKG, BKK.

I don't think CDG is as bad as many people think.

aerorobnz

Thu May 26, 2016 8:28 pm

Quoting Devilfish (Reply 26):
It's kind of the general idea --- the layout is meant to force travelers through the shops to get them to buy...even if they do not intend to.

I'm there to fly and not get held up with poorly designed infrastructure bottlenecks and it has the opposite effect for me, I don't buy in places I'm forced through, far more likely to buy at a shop I have walked into.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

MaxxFlyer

Thu May 26, 2016 8:34 pm

Quoting ckfred (Reply 23):
I've landed at DFW on the west side of the field, then taxied around the airport to go into Terminals A or C. I've landed on the east side of the airport, then done the long taxi into Terminal B.

If you are landing on 13R/31L and connecting from A or C, you can count on it being a tight fit. In the last year I've had that happen twice, and I was the last person to board my connecting flight.

vatveng

Thu May 26, 2016 9:24 pm

Quoting Openside007 (Reply 33):

England... that's, like, in Canada, right?     

Devilfish

Fri May 27, 2016 3:06 am

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 36):
I'm there to fly and not get held up with poorly designed infrastructure bottlenecks and it has the opposite effect for me, I don't buy in places I'm forced through, far more likely to buy at a shop I have walked into.

Airports ceased to be purely utilitarian spaces a long time ago where one starts and ends his journeys. Concessions have become an indispensable part of the business...so the more time a passenger gets to spend in them the bigger chances of him buying something.

"Force" may be too strong a word...perhaps "channel" would convey the subtle intent better. It may not work with you but for the many others like the "gormless" beings you mentioned crowding the concourses and the terminal operators, the designers have earned their keep.
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

ckfred

Fri May 27, 2016 5:31 am

Quoting MaxxFlyer (Reply 37):
If you are landing on 13R/31L and connecting from A or C, you can count on it being a tight fit. In the last year I've had that happen twice, and I was the last person to board my connecting flight.

Once, AA did a schedule change on me, giving me only 45 minutes to connect at DFW. I called Reservations and got rebooked onto a later flight for ORD, giving me a 90 minute connection.

Good thing I did, because my departure out of MOB was about 45 minutes late. I was one of the few people who wasn't missing a connection at DFW. But, just to rub extra salt, we landed on 17C, meaning the taxi around the south end of the terminal complex.

I still managed to get to the gate before boarding started.

Gr8Circle

Fri May 27, 2016 11:46 am

Flew through ATL few months back for the first time......was looking forward to it, having heard so much about the airport.....experience was disappointing.....reaching your gate is a pain.....train, then long walk within the terminal (no moving walkways within terminals).......dining options limited......security absolutely painful and inefficient.....will avoid ATL in future as far as possible.....

BOM airport is now a pleasure to fly through, with the beautiful new international terminal......it is modern, spacious, good food options, good signage, and overall very pleasing.....domestic terminals have also been upgraded to very good levels......the only pain in BOM is the transfer between domestic and international, if required, and the taxi and holding times.....

yeogeo

Fri May 27, 2016 12:09 pm

Quoting aerorobnz (Reply 12):
I dislike any airport I have to walk through the shop to get to the gate area

LIS is the worst in this regard, IMHO
yeo

AVLAirlineFreq

Fri May 27, 2016 12:20 pm

Any subjective evaluation of airports is incomplete without an understanding of what your criteria are and why you have that opinion.

reffado

Fri May 27, 2016 12:32 pm

GRU used to be pretty awful. I haven't been there since it was privatized, so it might be better now. But a few years back it looked like a run-down bus terminal.

N1120A

Fri May 27, 2016 12:38 pm

Quoting caljn (Reply 25):

No it hasn't. It is all these generic places that OTG dreamed up to serve mediocre food that they don't have to franchise.

Quoting B747forever (Reply 28):

Price is relative. The service and quality are much more of a concern.

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 29):
There are rumors that rats have moved into the creaky wooden structure that houses the AA Express gates beyond terminal 8 at LAX (so-called "Gate 44").

They now label then 60A-I, and the terminal is nicknamed the Eagle's Nest, after the ATC term used for it since AA took it over. AA has actually done a decent job with it.

Quoting yeogeo (Reply 42):
LIS is the worst in this regard, IMHO

LIS is pretty bad generally. The lounges are maybe a step above ADD, but that is it. Poor AC, long walks, bad food and a confusing layout.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

LAXdude1023

Fri May 27, 2016 1:00 pm

Worldwide, the single worst airport Ive been to is MNL. The domestic terminal either didn't have air condition or it was very weak. I was sweating like a dog in heat.
"I dance and laugh among the rotten"

Egerton

Fri May 27, 2016 1:42 pm

My criteria is how long does it take me to get from the entrance door to my departure gate. I have not been everywhere. The worst recently was the newish and huge MAD building at 50 minute. Nearly all because of the distances involved, most of which have to be walked.

a380787

Fri May 27, 2016 2:28 pm

Regardless of whether an airport is "best" or "worst", if my travel needs force me to go to place A, I'm gonna suck it up and deal with the airport. If I *have* to go to Manila, I'm not going be a contortionist and force myself to fly into Clark airport and somehow find my way back to the city.

My worst experience was DPS, where corruption has allowed non-airport officials to be WITHIN the secure area, and hustling tourists for tips.

MaxxFlyer

Fri May 27, 2016 8:56 pm

Quoting ckfred (Reply 40):
Once, AA did a schedule change on me, giving me only 45 minutes to connect at DFW. I called Reservations and got rebooked onto a later flight for ORD, giving me a 90 minute connection.

As it happened, both of my connections were night time and my outbound DFW was the last of the night. I no longer book tight connections. I'd don't mind a couple hours layover. After a while plane watching all those striped tails kinda has a hypnotic effect on you.   

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos