KL: 22%
QR: 22%
BA: 39%
EK: 41%
SQ: 51%

I doubt that's changed significantly over the past 6

Wow, great numbers worth noting.

Quoting KaiTak747 (Reply 49):

At the end of the day, what is best for the world is more air capacity and better connectivity at affordable prices. If every country did their upmost to protect their own national airlines, you can go back to the 70s where air travel was only available to the rich.

Well said. Since I want air travel for more than the one percenters, it either grows, or only the wealthy fly.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

peterinlisbon

RE: EU Seeks Openskies With ASEAN, Turkey, Qatar & UAE

Fri May 27, 2016 4:34 pm

Since the agreement with Morocco the fares have become really low, with Ryanair and Easyjet as well as many others flying to airports all over the country and there has been a huge increase in tourism. Suddenly Marrakech has become a place that almost everyone has been to at least once, it is even a Ryanair base. Hopefully they will do the same with Turkey - I think they would benefit enormously.

flylondon

Fri May 27, 2016 5:45 pm

Its not an accident they picked the countries with aggressive ME3+TK.

Once there is an EU wide agreement with the fair competition clause in it then if the ME3+TK violate it they can be threatened with losing access to the ENTIRE EU. That's a far bigger stick than any one country on its own could achieve.

Shame so many can't see it.....

vv701

Sat May 28, 2016 1:13 pm

Quoting eal (Reply 35):
BA is also 8% owned by QR

BA is a wholly owned subsidiary of IAG.

QR's stake in IAG was increased from 9.99 to 15.01 per cent earlier this month (May).

seahawk

Sat May 28, 2016 1:23 pm

Just do it. Lower ticket prices and better service, what is not to like? Think about the customers not the shareholders.

SCQ83

Sat May 28, 2016 2:21 pm

Quoting peterinlisbon (Reply 51):
Since the agreement with Morocco the fares have become really low, with Ryanair and Easyjet as well as many others flying to airports all over the country and there has been a huge increase in tourism. Suddenly Marrakech has become a place that almost everyone has been to at least once, it is even a Ryanair base. Hopefully they will do the same with Turkey - I think they would benefit enormously.

Prices to Turkey are already down the toilet, I don't know how much lower they can go. 100 EUR return to Istanbul is the new normal. Too much capacity (not only TK, but Pegasus, Onur, etc) + Western tourism falling to TK + bad economy situation in Turkey.

Given the crazy number of destinations Turkey serves (basically any airport in Germany, Italy, Spain, France or the UK), I can't think of how more service they could add.

I agree though that Open Skies with UAE + Qatar will increase competition notably from secondary cities, and specially to Asia and Australia. So flying from Lyon or Valencia to Sydney would probably become cheaper.

Aesma

Sat May 28, 2016 3:11 pm

Quoting Aither (Reply 5):
I think EU will collapse before they can make the deal. It will start with the Brexit and others will follow. It's just too much liberal and anti democratic.

Ironic considering it's probably Britain pushing for this.

Quoting Qatara340 (Reply 14):
oh it will defently increase employment opportunities across Europe and many people would be employed thru an open skies agreement, thereby improving working conditions to millions of Europeans who will have new jobs.

Millions of jobs ? What are you talking about ?

Quoting mjoelnir (Reply 17):
I think that many here overestimate the influence airlines have on this policies. Contrary to the USA it is not as easy to buy a few congressman to stop laws or agreements. Consumer interest and protection is a far stronger driving force in the EU than the USA.

I disagree. What you meant is that European Airlines don't have influence. Airlines on the other side of those deals, backed by the full force of their governments, and unlimited money, have more influence. Lobbying is king in Brussels.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

LAXintl
Topic Author

Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:23 pm

EU Transport Commissioner Violeta Bulc tells the Wall Street Journal the block will agree this week to kick off talks on far-reaching aviation agreements.

She says unified common agreements could offer predictable legal frame work for wider market access that should spur growth and consumer benefits, and move the EU away from its current multi nation approach as individual members seek their air service agreements.
She Acknowledges some members like Germany and France worry and complain about "fair" competition, though its hard to exactly establish what any global standards should be.

She hopes to have concluded all the agreements by 2019, and also says she seeks to have authority to negotiate similar agreements with Mexico.

EU to Start Delicate Middle East, Asia Aviation Talks
http://www.wsj.com/articles/eu-to-st...ast-asia-aviation-talks-1465222180

=
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

mham001

Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:01 pm

Quoting mjoelnir (Reply 17):
I think that many here overestimate the influence airlines have on this policies. Contrary to the USA it is not as easy to buy a few congressman to stop laws or agreements. Consumer interest and protection is a far stronger driving force in the EU than the USA.

Except for the German automobile industry and the huge internal resistance to cleaning up the diesel mess.... None the less, one could say consumer interest and protection is why Europe is having a difficult time competing in other sectors, such as technology.

Quoting Qatara340 (Reply 40):
Your country can't get enough investments from my country.

Or, one could say your country, or the people within, are in dire need of safe, stable places to put their money.

Quoting Aither (Reply 46):
I think people should be happy to still have a national airline and not be totally economically dependent of another country when it comes to connectivity with the rest of the world.

Along that line, my country believes a strong transportation sector is a strategic national asset.

PanHAM

Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:13 pm

Quoting Qatara340 (Reply 40):
Quoting mham001 (Reply 58):

Along that line, my country believes a strong transportation sector is a strategic national asset.

Not only strategic, it is vital infrastructure. The whole Thing can work only with a Level playing field and that is a Long way to come, if ever.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

HiJazzey

Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:41 pm

Good on Qatar and UAE pursuing this. I wish Saudi would take part

mercure1

Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Plan to proceed to enter negotiations approved by the 28 transport ministers.

Estimated economic benefits from new aviation agreements could be worth more than EUR €20 billion from increased tourism, trade and reduced air fares for EU bloc.

The net benefit for Europea estimated as:
Turkey: €5 billion
ASEAN: €7.9 billion
UAE+Qatar: €8.4 billion

European consumer groups, and aviation trade groups ACI welcomed the decision

http://atwonline.com/government-affa...n-union-start-liberalization-talks
mercure f-wtcc

par13del

Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:38 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 57):
She says unified common agreements could offer predictable legal frame work for wider market access that should spur growth and consumer benefits, and move the EU away from its current multi nation approach as individual members seek their air service agreements.

Now I need to do much more reading, I thought the EU had already given a commission the powers to negotiate on behalf of the group with the prior nation agreements being used as a sort of "get out of jail free card", I thought that was how the negotiated with the USA on the open skies agreement.

enzedder

Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:08 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 59):
Not only strategic, it is vital infrastructure. The whole Thing can work only with a Level playing field and that is a Long way to come, if ever.

So PanHAM, explain to me what a level playing field (globally) would look like? And go into details!

Thanks!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos