kaitak
Topic Author

Irish 8/16: Celebrating 80 Years Of Aer Lingus!

Fri May 27, 2016 5:23 pm

Good evening folks and welcome to our 8th thread of 2016!

It's been an interesting few weeks, with some significant developments:

- Aer Lingus re-launches Los Angeles
- Stobart CEO leaves after MBO fails
- Cityjet drops ORK-LCY, but takes delivery of the first Sukhoi SSJ - and the first Russian built aircraft to be operated by an Irish airline
- Ryanair adds to its 737 tally; the latest, EI-FRT, should have arrived home today.
- EI CEO Stephen Kavanagh drops more hints about the A350 being dropped, but also hints at increasing A330 fleet. No sign yet of an A321LRNeo order.

Let's just raise a little glass to our home team today, celebrating its 80th anniversary. I think it's fair to say that it's a better airline today than it has ever been. Sure, there are critics and there are things it doesn't do so well (its FFP, for example - now further delayed), but has lots of strengths. It's changed dramatically from the airline of twenty years ago, from an airline that employed twice as many and flew half as many, it has transformed itself. Sure, there have been lots of hiccoughs along the way, not least among them its friendly home rival (and former part owner) Ryanair. But, rather than go the way of Sabena, Malev and one or two others, it has done what it needed to do and its product is better, its network is far bigger, its routes (particularly transatlantic) are showing excellent growth and its IAG ownership should give it increased growth potential. From a customer perspective, flying with Aer Lingus is a pleasant experience - nice aircraft, reliable service and pleasant staff. Long may it continue. Here's to another eighty years!

shamrock350

RE: Irish 8/16: Celebrating 80 Years Of Aer Lingus!

Fri May 27, 2016 6:05 pm

Happy Birthday Aer Lingus!

Aer Lingus tweeted this today;

The Iolar made the journey to BRS to mark the anniversary and plenty of best wishes were sent via social media, most notably from the Irish Air Corps, IAG partners Vueling and British Airways and enthusiasts from around the world.

In Pictures: Aer Lingus at 80 - eight decades of airline nostalgia

http://www.independent.ie/life/trave...of-airline-nostalgia-34751886.html

Shamrock350

tonystan

Fri May 27, 2016 6:50 pm

Happy birthday Aer Lingus.

My parents have a commemorative Waterford crystal tumblar at home for the airlines 30th birthday which was given to my mum on her wings course that same week. I'm almost afraid to tell her it's the 80th now!
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

SURFER

Fri May 27, 2016 7:34 pm

http://www.anna.aero/2016/05/25/shan...canner-unserved-route-of-the-week/

Would love to see this route happen. Interesting that it is a higher search number from the Dutch side.

On another note UA67 SNN-ORD started back today but didn't go according to plan with the aircraft returning to SNN with engine issues 3 hours after takeoff.

JAmie2k9

Fri May 27, 2016 7:39 pm

EI have announced DUB-BRS will increase from 3 to 4 daily on M, Th, F & Su from winter as part of the celebrations.

shamrock104

Fri May 27, 2016 8:19 pm

Quoting kaitak (Thread starter):
its product is better

Without wishing to dampen the spirit or other successes, how is it's product better than 20 years ago? Its arguably a lot worse all things considered. Certainly in economy.

AmricanShamrok

Fri May 27, 2016 8:51 pm

Quoting SURFER (Reply 3):
Would love to see this route happen. Interesting that it is a higher search number from the Dutch side.

With KL having such an extensive UK network with Cityhopper (16 destinations at the latest count), it always intrigued me why they didn't dip their toes in the water here.

It would be great to see WA jump on the SNN-AMS route.

Eagleboy

Fri May 27, 2016 9:12 pm

Quoting shamrock104 (Reply 5):
Without wishing to dampen the spirit or other successes, how is it's product better than 20 years ago? Its arguably a lot worse all things considered. Certainly in economy.

I would agree. Being able to buy food on evening flights is 50/50.

shamrock350

Fri May 27, 2016 9:22 pm

Would be an interesting route to have but who would operate it?

I think we can rule out Aer Lingus for the foreseeable! If KL are doing well in BHD they may consider SNN but the EI relationship remains strong at DUB/ORK. Maybe Ryanair if they get more AMS slots or even Transavia but brand awareness is a big issue for SNN and they may not have the impact that KL, EI or FR would have.

Quoting shamrock104 (Reply 5):

This is the big debate that continues today, in my opinion it's about value and perception. Obviously free food, free bags and free seat selection are perceived as better than today's offering but the market clearly no longer responds to that, the all sining all dancing £200 one way fare is what we were used to but not necessarily what that majority wanted.

Aer Lingus pretty much offers everything they did 20 years ago but with much, much more and it only comes at a fraction of the price. There's also the choice that's now offered, everything from fares, destinations and products and services is of a much wider variety than it ever was and it's very difficult to put a price on choice. Personally I think the type of short haul economy you find on British Airways is very poor value for money and an outdated concept, we've already see BA themselves move away from it with the bag not included fare from LGW and now the recent rumours of them considering a buy on board product.

On long haul it's a slightly different story but not much, cabin crew numbers per passenger are lower, probably few drinks runs, alcohol is now charged for but meals are the same just about edible stuff, seats are the same and again there's the option and choice to pick your preferred seat, purchase wifi or order a premium meal.

It really depends on what you want from your airline and how the service and product is perceived.

Tchocky

Fri May 27, 2016 9:25 pm

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 6):
Without wishing to dampen the spirit or other successes, how is it's product better than 20 years ago? Its arguably a lot worse all things considered.

Simply put, price.

OA260

Fri May 27, 2016 10:16 pm

Flew WX again yesterday and had a pleasant flight. Those Avros are showing their age though. Check in agents at LCY very pleasant and I requested to check in my 9KG cabin bag along with my normal 21KG case and this was done without charge. Crew were pleasant and despite a delay to French ATC on strike we were not too delayed.

rojam

Fri May 27, 2016 11:47 pm

I saw last week (via a targeted Google News search, and intended to post it here) that DUB-MIA was Skyscanner's unserved route of the week back in Feb: c.f. http://www.anna.aero/2016/02/10/unse...ed-route-of-the-week-dublin-miami/
Some poster from the last thread projected DUB-MIA was their transatlantic route prediction of choice - how right they were.

Quoting OA260 (Reply 10):
Flew WX again yesterday and had a pleasant flight. Those Avros are showing their age though

I commuted that route (alongside LCY-ZRH, which for a while was a WX/AF route too) for 11 years and don't miss it one bit. But just look at those gorgeous Sukhoi SSJ's, I really want to fly on one - does anyone have any insider info on what their initial route(s) might be ? Surely DUB-CDG is a top candidate for crew familiarisation purposes ?
My 1000th flight: WVB-CPT on SW....no Aer Lingus or Air France or DUB or LON or ZRH or AMS

ClassicLover

Sat May 28, 2016 1:37 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 10):
Check in agents at LCY very pleasant and I requested to check in my 9KG cabin bag along with my normal 21KG case and this was done without charge.

Do you regularly travel with 30kg of crap on a European hop?!

I hope you were emigrating!   That's a hell of a lot of kilos to be hauling intra-Europe!
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

OA260

Sat May 28, 2016 8:31 am

Quoting rojam (Reply 11):
and don't miss it one bit. But just look at those gorgeous Sukhoi SSJ's

I like it because its not for work. I am usually flying to see family and friends so its 95% leisure. The SSJ will certainly be popular. Anetters will no doubt fill it for the first number of weeks ! A big chance for WX to capitalise and get lots of good PR by arranging even some enthusiasts flights. Whether they seize the chance is up to WX management who will no doubt read this  
Quoting classiclover (Reply 12):
That's a hell of a lot of kilos to be hauling intra-Europe!

I always do lots of shopping when away. Ireland is so expensive for branded goods. The baggage allowance is one thing that makes *G and OWE a big benefit especially when flying to the USA where I often go mad and check in 3-4 pieces   Sadly WX not yet in an alliance but going forward they will need to look at partners with a FF program. Still like I said they didnt charge me so that was a bonus.

OA260

Sat May 28, 2016 9:02 am

Knock airport’s success built on a wing and a prayer
People gather to celebrate and reminisce about airport’s 30 years in business

It was nearly strangled at birth, the preposterous notion of an airport on the top of a mountain that was shrouded in mist. Urban Ireland spluttered into its cappuccino and harrumphed at the mere idea of it.

But Mayo had the last laugh and on Friday night, Knock airport celebrated its first 30 years with a fine dinner, a gala concert, sing-song and storytelling session, secure in the knowledge that Knock’s 10 millionth passenger will pass through the terminal building in 2016.

“The monsignor had a vision and 30 years later, let’s hope he’s proud,” said Donal Healy, head of marketing at Ireland West Airport Knock, to give it its expanded formal title.

Healy was recalling the role of the late Monsignor James Horan, the priest whose determination got up the nose of politicians . . . but who got his way in the end.

Some 150 guests dined upstairs in the airport terminal, enjoying local beef and salmon.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/irela...t-on-a-wing-and-a-prayer-1.2663697

ei737ng

Sat May 28, 2016 9:39 am

Why is EI thinking of dropping the A350 order? The average age of the 330's is 10.6 years.

shamrock321

Sat May 28, 2016 10:00 am

The A350 order isn't being dropped, they are just being redirected within IAG, in this case to Iberia.

ei737ng

Sat May 28, 2016 10:52 am

What will replace the 330's then in the EI fleet?

kaitak
Topic Author

Sat May 28, 2016 11:39 am

I think the plan is to build up the 330 fleet; the current fleet (the 333s at least) are quite young, so EI doesn't need to worry about these for a good while. Two of the 332s are pretty old, so I would expect these to be replaced by 333s at some stage, although the two coming this Autumn are strictly for growth.

A350s may come in time, but I guess it will be up to EI to argue for them, against BA and IB.

The disappointing aspect is that there will be no growth in the major markets like JFK, ORD and BOS, so any growth in that market will have to come from competitors or from extra EI flights.

toltommy

Sat May 28, 2016 12:10 pm

Quoting ei737ng (Reply 17):

Why does a fleet with an average age of 10.6 years need a replacement? That fleet could easily stay in service for another 10 years. The A350 was more airplane than EI really needed. Let's see more A330s added to the current fleet. 10 years from now IAG can be looking for a common replacement across all its brands, and be able to likely negotiate a better deal.
A300/A310/A319/A320/A321/A332/A333/707/712/727/732/733/734/735/738/739/752/753/762/763/764/772/789/DC8/DC9-10/30/40/50/MD81/83/87/88/90/L1011-/250/500/CRJ200/440/700/900/EMB135/140/145/170/175/190/328Jet/F70/SF3/BE1/J31

hispanola

Sat May 28, 2016 12:47 pm

Quoting kaitak (Reply 18):
A350s may come in time, but I guess it will be up to EI to argue for them, against BA and IB.

Yes, this will be interesting. Iberia and British Airways both need them more than Aer Lingus and will probably suggest A330neos. EI needs to develop a strong case if they want a fleet of A350s. I think the extra capacity wouldn't be a problem for the more traversed routes.
✈️

kaitak
Topic Author

Sat May 28, 2016 2:46 pm

Yesterday's SNN-ORD United 757 had to return to Shannon due to an engine issue.

http://avherald.com/h?article=498e76f3&opt=0

(Hardly a stellar load factor, but still, it's early on in the season).

SURFER

Sat May 28, 2016 3:17 pm

Quoting kaitak (Reply 21):
y's SNN-ORD United 757 had to return to Shannon due to an engine issue.

http://avherald.com/h?article=498e76f3&opt=0

(Hardly a stellar load factor, but still, it's early on in the season).

Considering it was the inaugural flight of the season it isn't a bad load.

Revelation

Sat May 28, 2016 4:17 pm

Since EI was mentioned by our esteemed a.net member kaitak in the A350 production threads, I've decided to see what's going on with regard to EI and the A350.

Quoting kaitak (Reply 18):
I think the plan is to build up the 330 fleet; the current fleet (the 333s at least) are quite young, so EI doesn't need to worry about these for a good while. Two of the 332s are pretty old, so I would expect these to be replaced by 333s at some stage, although the two coming this Autumn are strictly for growth.
Quoting toltommy (Reply 19):
Why does a fleet with an average age of 10.6 years need a replacement? That fleet could easily stay in service for another 10 years. The A350 was more airplane than EI really needed. Let's see more A330s added to the current fleet. 10 years from now IAG can be looking for a common replacement across all its brands, and be able to likely negotiate a better deal.
Quoting hispanola (Reply 20):
Yes, this will be interesting. Iberia and British Airways both need them more than Aer Lingus and will probably suggest A330neos

A330neo has been described as the ideal TATL aircraft. I did a quick google search and found that EI placed the A350 order in 2008, quite a while ago, long before A330neo was a product. I also found references saying A330neo had been evaluated but the A350 order was kept in place.

I also found Interview - Aer Lingus CEO Stephen Kavanagh which was done on May 23rd (so only five days ago).

In this interview, EI's CEO said when asked about fleet plans:

Quote:
The A330 has long been the mainstay of our transatlantic operation and we were the first ETOPS operator across the Atlantic. The aircraft hasn’t stood still over time so it can be all over our mission requirements with a full payload. We are on the A350 order book, but it’s something we continue to review because in the short term, as we accelerate growth, we are doing it with the A330s. We also use the venerable Boeing 757, which we introduced into our operation two years ago, and it’s been tremendous in terms of allowing us to invest in frequency, particularly in shoulder seasons, but also to allow us to innovate in markets such as Hartford. We have four [wet-leased] 757s in service. We don’t see ourselves adding to that, but we do see new technology toward the end of the decade creating new opportunities for us, particularly in single-aisle and across the Atlantic. The ideal for us is to find a single-aisle with the same seat mile costs as an A330-300 to give us complete flexibility in terms of frequency and the ability to capacity-manage across the operation.

And when asked about growth focus areas:

Quote:
Obviously, short-haul is where most of our volume is and it’s also where our most intense competitor is; so we continue to develop that business. But our focus in terms of ASK growth has been across the Atlantic. We’ve grown at a compound rate of 12% since 2010 and we’ve continued that in 2016 under IAG’s ownership, where we’ve accelerated growth and added three new destinations. We’ve commenced Los Angeles; we will start [New York] Newark and Hartford, Connecticut, in Q3. That will bring us to 10 gateways in North America. Hartford is really an indication of how far we’ve come because it’s a spoke on the Dublin hub where previously we’ve focused on joining two hubs. We see the network maturing, but still see a lot of growth opportunity. As we grow our long-haul operation, we create more opportunities for our flow traffic and it’s that wonderful thing about networks: once you start plugging in more spokes, it becomes more and more efficient. So we are starting to get double dailies on our core gateways in North America, which allows us to maximize our efficiencies out of Dublin without compromising the efficiencies of our short-haul operation. We have double daily now on Chicago, JFK and Boston, and we will look to increasing frequencies on our other gateways. We are also looking at future aircraft types and how aircraft such as the Airbus A321LR may fit into a revised hub strategy where frequency is invested, but not at the expense of cost per seat.

There are also some direct and indirect references to competitive pressure from Ryanair and Norwegian. I recommend clicking on the link above to get the full interview. Overall it sounds like their focus will be using the shorthaul business to feed the longhaul TATL market and vice versa. In the frequency versus capacity argument, it seems pretty clear that EI is thinking more in terms of frequency. Given this, I think it is a fair conclusion that A350 is too much plane for their network, and that they'd be better off with A330neo to increase TATL frequency and A321LR to open new markets and for eventual 757 replacement.

Since I have rarely participated here, I don't know if such statements cheer or depress the readers of these wonderful Irish threads. I would hope they would be seen as cheerful. EI has faced a lot of challenges over the last decade or so and is in a good position to have great success. I realize the A350 has been a long standing prospect but it really could turn out to be too much airplane and thus a burden to short and mid term success. Airbus doesn't have a tremendous A330neo backlog so it could be that such frames are obtained at an advantage. A350 can always be acquired in the future when it's clear that it is needed. Of course I might be missing some perspective on what is needed.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

KIRFlyer

Sun May 29, 2016 12:46 pm

Nice article in the Indo about Aer Lingus' 80 years of operations. Some great photos too!

http://www.independent.ie/life/trave...of-airline-nostalgia-34751886.html

kaitak
Topic Author

Sun May 29, 2016 12:48 pm

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Revelation. You raise a lot of interesting points. Of course, as an enthusiast, I was really looking forward to seeing the A350 in EI colours; it was supposed to have been here this year, but they pushed it out to 2018.

I do agree that the most important thing is to have stable, controlled growth and from that perspective, the 330 seems like the best option. They did actually look at the 330Neo after it was launched and then, a second time; on both occasions (albeit under the previous CEO) they decided to stick with the 350.

If this decision leads to move growth an a more efficient EI, then I am happy with it, but two points come to mind:
1) The very strong expansion in traffic through DUB as a hub should, I would have thought, have justified a move to a larger aircraft, particularly on "core"/"key" routes like BOS, JFK and ORD.
2) On these core routes, there really has not been any significant capacity increase - particularly on the key flight, e.g. EI 105, 135/7 and 125. These will still have the same c.320 seats (indeed, less, as aircraft have been reconfigured). This does not seem like a good thing to me.

However, as has been said, it's not "never" to the 350, just not yet. And with IAG taking 787-10s, A350-1000s and (possibly) 777-9s, well, you just never know ...

Phen

Sun May 29, 2016 1:53 pm

Quoting kaitak (Reply 25):

I would imagine EI/IAG management have to be well aware of the restriction of capacity/growth on core routes that sticking to A330s would bring. I hear that there is a chance they will still take a smaller number of A350s and operate a mixed LH fleet, with A350s probably serving core routes JFK, BOS and ORD as you say.

The 2 new A330-300s this year will be 242t versions, and so will very likely be used on SFO at least, if not LAX too in time. I believe the 10/28 runway length in DUB is unfortunately going to pose a bit of a headache from that point of view but hopefully 10L/28R will be finished as planned on time and limit such problems to the short term. If SFO goes to A333, then they will be keen to bring IAD back to an A332 again, and thus free up that 757 for new routes/additional frequencies next year, alongside the hefty expansion due in 2017.

JAmie2k9

Mon May 30, 2016 1:35 pm

Cork-Mahon charter has been cancelled, travel agents confirmed "lack of demand" behind the cancellation. In other news Aer Lingus have also called time on Cork-Geneva.

Revelation

Mon May 30, 2016 1:44 pm

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Revelation. You raise a lot of interesting points. Of course, as an enthusiast, I was really looking forward to seeing the A350 in EI colours; it was supposed to have been here this year, but they pushed it out to 2018.

I too would like to see it happen, but above the CEO doesn't sound like he's very sure of it.

If this decision leads to move growth an a more efficient EI, then I am happy with it, but two points come to mind:
1) The very strong expansion in traffic through DUB as a hub should, I would have thought, have justified a move to a larger aircraft, particularly on "core"/"key" routes like BOS, JFK and ORD.
2) On these core routes, there really has not been any significant capacity increase - particularly on the key flight, e.g. EI 105, 135/7 and 125. These will still have the same c.320 seats (indeed, less, as aircraft have been reconfigured). This does not seem like a good thing to me.

Yes, there's the rub. It's hard to add a new fleet type to get a nice incremental gain in capacity, but it's also hard to add a 2nd frequency.

My guess is we'll see A321LR at some point to replace 757s and to add a second frequency to key routes, but that's just a guess. It should be able to do the job quite efficiently.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Eagleboy

Mon May 30, 2016 10:28 pm

Quoting ei737ng (Reply 17):
Quoting Revelation (Reply 28):
I too would like to see it happen, but above the CEO doesn't sound like he's very sure of it.

Dont think he is sure of anything. IAG will be making the decision for him.

Quoting Revelation (Reply 28):
My guess is we'll see A321LR at some point to replace 757s and to add a second frequency to key routes, but that's just a guess. It should be able to do the job quite efficiently.

A321LR pretty much a given for EI. B757 could only ever be a stopgap solution.

dstc47

Tue May 31, 2016 8:25 am

In perhaps what might be a high risk strategy for IATA, Minister for Transport Shane Ross will make the first keynote address at the International Air Transport Association annual general meeting in Dublin this week.

OA260

Tue May 31, 2016 8:29 am

Ryanair and Aer Lingus advance cases for return of €120m in air tax

Ryanair and Aer Lingus are understood to have secured further discovery from the Department of Finance and the Revenue Commissioners in their battle to recoup as much as €120m in air travel taxes they paid between 2009 and 2011.

http://www.independent.ie/business/i...n-of-120m-in-air-tax-34758778.html

---

Airport traveller numbers soar to hit 30m but Cork suffers decline for third year

The number of arrivals and departures through Irish airports soared to almost 30m last year, although Cork and Knock actually had a drop in passenger numbers.
Figures issued by the Central Statistics Office (CSO) showed a national increase of 12.5% over the previous year in passenger numbers using the airports, with the number of departing passengers marginally exceeding those arriving for the main airports in 2015.

Dublin airport accounted for 83.8% of all passengers last year, up almost 9% compared to figures for 2008 and up 15% compared to 2014.

Shannon Airport also boosted its passenger numbers for the third year in a row and had an 8% rise in 2015 compared with the previous year. Yet, while other airports including Kerry and Donegal registered an increase, Knock had a 2.7% drop and Cork Airport saw passenger numbers fall for the third year in a row, down 3.4% in 2015 compared with figures for 2014.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland...decline-for-third-year-402365.html

dstc47

Tue May 31, 2016 6:37 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 31):
€120m in air travel taxes they paid

Most likely their passengers paid them and the airlines only collected them. I don't recall that the airlines waived the charges.

Eagleboy

Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:52 am

Interesting day at DUB today:
IATA conference commences,
Cityjet SSJ EI-FWA arriving this evening,
C Series arrives in at 1900 for display over the next 2 days.

BrianDromey

Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:21 am

Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 33):

Who are they displaying the C-Series to? The IATA conference or specific airlines/lessors?

JAmie2k9

Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:01 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 34):

Think it's more general display for some lessors.
_______

"Dublin Airport has become the first airport in the world to provide a virtual tour of its runway and airfield.

In partnership with Google, Dublin Airport is offering a 360 degree street level virtual tour of its runway system and airfield areas.

Thousands of images were captured by Google’s Street View car which were compiled together to give a comprehensive 360o virtual tour of the runway and airfield at Dublin Airport.

As it was collecting imagery in a live airfield environment, the Google vehicle was escorted by Dublin Airport personnel at all times to ensure airfield safety requirements were met."

/www.dublinairport.com/latest-news/detail/dublin-airport-first-airport-globally-to-map-runway-and-airfield-with-google-street-view

RRTrent

Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:07 pm

Quoting Jamie2k9 (Reply 35):

I saw this on the news.. why is it only making headlines now? is it the official launch or has it just taken media outlets this long to notice it?

Its been available to view for several months at this stage.

EIDL

Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:38 pm

Quoting dstc47 (Reply 32):
Most likely their passengers paid them and the airlines only collected them. I don't recall that the airlines waived the charges.

When the rate was cut, I got a refund from EI of the difference on pre-booked flights for after the cut date. They would have trouble arguing the money was theirs after that.

Miami

Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:31 pm

MIA officials have met with Aer Lingus today to discuss a direct flight from Dublin. Word is an announcement may be made in the Summer.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

JAmie2k9

Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:40 pm

Quoting Miami (Reply 38):

Officials in Tampa are also trying to secure EI

www.tampabay.com/news/tampa-looks-to...ess-ties-with-south-dublin/2279710

[Edited 2016-06-01 06:42:48]

Miami

Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:50 pm

Quoting Jamie2k9 (Reply 39):

TPA is a long shot IMO. Especially since they're close to MCO.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

JAmie2k9

Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:54 pm

Quoting Miami (Reply 40):

If they price was right, you never know!

Would EI turn it down if they received similar funding to Heartford?

kaitak
Topic Author

Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:17 pm

Personally, I'd love to see TPA happen, but MIA must take priority as a major hub - and it would surprise me if EI served three destinations in Florida. Still , other airlines do!

There are however plenty of other US destinations which much be higher on the priority list - SEA, DFW, DEN , PHX, even LAS. BDL is a 757 route, but TPA , if it happened , would have to be a 330 route and other new potential routes would probably be chosen over TPA.

As an aside, with the two new 330s coming in autumn , I'm curious about the fwd planning to bring these on board - not just route planning, but other areas like training , maintenance planning etc. How far ahead would they have to plan. Although crews would come from the 320 fleet (10-15 each, c.30 in all?) that would mean new 320 crews to be hired -trained. That would need to be planned well in advance.

Phen

Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:01 pm

Quoting kaitak (Reply 42):
I'm curious about the fwd planning to bring these on board - not just route planning, but other areas like training , maintenance planning etc. How far ahead would they have to plan. Although crews would come from the 320 fleet (10-15 each, c.30 in all?) that would mean new 320 crews to be hired -trained. That would need to be planned well in advance.

Apparently each A330 requires 16 pilots. So that's 32 this year and then again that plus more next year. There are 12 cadets in training in Spain as we speak and about 12 who have just returned to Dublin for type rating etc, all of whom will go straight to A320. There are direct entries happening here and there and I believe a larger number of direct entries will be taken a bit later this year too. There's quite a drive to get the 320 seats filled in time for when the new 330s come! Not to mention the cabin crew needed too.

captainmeeerkat

Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:24 pm

Does anyone know the reasons for delayed arrivals at DUB at the moment? (17.20)

Planes are arriving to land on RWY10 but are holding over Slane. I've never seen this arrival pattern before.

It is congestion only?
my luggage is better travelled than me!

OA260

Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:13 pm

Seems WX are close to sealing a deal with a European carrier for a contract to operate for them next year with the SSJ's.

JAmie2k9

Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:25 pm

tonystan

Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:06 pm

Quoting Jamie2k9 (Reply 46):

I really believe the Indo has turned into our own version of the Daily Mail (I know we have the Irish daily mail but it's still a foreign paper lol) and started to print any old rubbish and present it as vague fact!

DUB-DOH for Aer Lingus would be a terrible waste of a an airframe even with Qatar Airways feed. I'd hate to see EI become bogged down in that sort of cronyism with its share holders.
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

kaitak
Topic Author

Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:28 pm

Quoting tonystan (Reply 47):
DUB-DOH for Aer Lingus would be a terrible waste of a an airframe even with Qatar Airways feed. I'd hate to see EI become bogged down in that sort of cronyism with its share holders.

I agree; QR has a much bigger fleet and on top of that, to get the best out of the Doha hub operation, it would be best if the flight originated in DOH.

Another possible area of co-operation might be on the A330 front; with 787s and A350s coming onstream, the A330 is becoming a bit passe at QR. They are not that old and GE powered as well, wired for IFE (not sure if they have Wifi on their 330s). A possible interim solution?

Eagleboy

Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:05 pm

In relation to forward planning for A330. EI plans out about 12-18 in advance for those A330s.
Lets look at 2017....assume they will take delivery of another 2 A330,thats been planned for. If IAG want to sent an additional 2 their way that would need to be have been communicated already;
EI would have to recruit A320 F/Os;
to allow current A320 F/Os to move to the A330;
this would allow A320 F/Os to do command checks; and/or release command qualified A330 F/Os to the A320......;
which allows A320 captains to move to the A330 for type training......;
all of which needs additional instructor time.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos